NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamie Oliver vs. poverty as "the world of 'no'"

3 posters

Go down

Jamie Oliver vs. poverty as "the world of 'no'" Empty Jamie Oliver vs. poverty as "the world of 'no'"

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Thought this column made some great points. Growing up, my family sometimes lived in low-rent apartments, or trailer houses, or motel rooms, or (for a few bad weeks) basically in our car. We eventually pulled ourselves up a bit, but you never get over some parts of it, like thinking that every time you get a little extra money you have to run out and buy something cool with it -- almost like you're trying to prove you can to the rest of the world.

Basically, people who have money don't realize what it's like to not have money but live in a world that seems to be all about having money:

I like Jamie Oliver, on the whole. Yes, occasionally I find him annoying, but no more than any other artificially chirpy, positive people with mockney accents. But somewhere along the way, his passion for good, fresh food – admirable and infectious in every respect – appears to have transformed into evangelical life-coaching. In the words of Albert Camus, he seems "to have dispensed with generosity in order to practise charity".

"I'm not judgmental", he says in his recent Radio Times interview. If only that were true, of course, it would signal the end of the interview. He continues "but I've spent a lot of time in poor communities, and I find it quite hard to talk about modern-day poverty. You might remember that scene in Ministry of Food, with the mum and the kid eating chips and cheese out of Styrofoam containers, and behind them is a massive fucking TV. It just didn't weigh up."

I have had the misfortune and privilege (mixed in both cases) to exist in affluent and destitute circumstances – and every shade between the two. However much time Oliver has spent in "poor communities", he is but a tourist there, looking at fire walkers and whirling dervishes and wondering "why on earth would they choose to do that?"; taking snapshots for his album and reducing entire lives to captured instances of chips and giant tellies.

What I had not understood before I found myself in true poverty, and what Oliver probably does not, is that it means living in a world of "no". Ninety-nine per cent of what you need is answered "no". Ninety-nine per cent of what your kids ask for is answered "no". Ninety-nine per cent of life is answered "no". Cinema? No. Night out? No. New shoes? No. Birthday? No. So, if the only indulgence that is viable, that is within budget, that will not mean you have to walk to work, is a Styrofoam container of cheesy chips, the answer is a thunderous "YES".

When their daily entertainment consists of sitting in a 4ft by 6ft semi-basement living room watching TV, you can rest assured people will make any sacrifice they must to at least get "a massive fucking TV". In a world of "no", you are grateful for every "yes", no matter how illogical or how unhealthy. "When I was poor, I smoked," said a friend recently, "but that was all I had for me. Cigarettes were the only thing I owned. I was a non-person."

But I have been on the other side as well. The side where well-off, middle-class people are apparently sensible with how they spend their hard-earned money. The side where people like Jamie, Delia and Nigella club together with lucrative sponsors to explain what the latest must-have item is. Produce with pedigree. Vinegars with vintages. Olive oils with lineage. Pasta-makers, steamers, woks, griddle pans, copper pots, juicers, egg timers, skillets, multi-mixes, palette knives, frothers, basters and thermometers gathering dust in countless attics. The evidence of my lack of thrift and the source of Oliver's fortune, neatly out of sight so that he cannot judge my life on a surprise inspection.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/27/jamie-oliver-poverty-ready-meals-tv
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Jamie Oliver vs. poverty as "the world of 'no'" Empty Re: Jamie Oliver vs. poverty as "the world of 'no'"

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Thought this column made some great points. Growing up, my family sometimes lived in low-rent apartments, or trailer houses, or motel rooms, or (for a few bad weeks) basically in our car. We eventually pulled ourselves up a bit, but you never get over some parts of it, like thinking that every time you get a little extra money you have to run out and buy something cool with it -- almost like you're trying to prove you can to the rest of the world.

Basically, people who have money don't realize what it's like to not have money but live in a world that seems to be all about having money:

I like Jamie Oliver, on the whole. Yes, occasionally I find him annoying, but no more than any other artificially chirpy, positive people with mockney accents. But somewhere along the way, his passion for good, fresh food – admirable and infectious in every respect – appears to have transformed into evangelical life-coaching. In the words of Albert Camus, he seems "to have dispensed with generosity in order to practise charity".

"I'm not judgmental", he says in his recent Radio Times interview. If only that were true, of course, it would signal the end of the interview. He continues "but I've spent a lot of time in poor communities, and I find it quite hard to talk about modern-day poverty. You might remember that scene in Ministry of Food, with the mum and the kid eating chips and cheese out of Styrofoam containers, and behind them is a massive fucking TV. It just didn't weigh up."

I have had the misfortune and privilege (mixed in both cases) to exist in affluent and destitute circumstances – and every shade between the two. However much time Oliver has spent in "poor communities", he is but a tourist there, looking at fire walkers and whirling dervishes and wondering "why on earth would they choose to do that?"; taking snapshots for his album and reducing entire lives to captured instances of chips and giant tellies.

What I had not understood before I found myself in true poverty, and what Oliver probably does not, is that it means living in a world of "no". Ninety-nine per cent of what you need is answered "no". Ninety-nine per cent of what your kids ask for is answered "no". Ninety-nine per cent of life is answered "no". Cinema? No. Night out? No. New shoes? No. Birthday? No. So, if the only indulgence that is viable, that is within budget, that will not mean you have to walk to work, is a Styrofoam container of cheesy chips, the answer is a thunderous "YES".

When their daily entertainment consists of sitting in a 4ft by 6ft semi-basement living room watching TV, you can rest assured people will make any sacrifice they must to at least get "a massive fucking TV". In a world of "no", you are grateful for every "yes", no matter how illogical or how unhealthy. "When I was poor, I smoked," said a friend recently, "but that was all I had for me. Cigarettes were the only thing I owned. I was a non-person."

But I have been on the other side as well. The side where well-off, middle-class people are apparently sensible with how they spend their hard-earned money. The side where people like Jamie, Delia and Nigella club together with lucrative sponsors to explain what the latest must-have item is. Produce with pedigree. Vinegars with vintages. Olive oils with lineage. Pasta-makers, steamers, woks, griddle pans, copper pots, juicers, egg timers, skillets, multi-mixes, palette knives, frothers, basters and thermometers gathering dust in countless attics. The evidence of my lack of thrift and the source of Oliver's fortune, neatly out of sight so that he cannot judge my life on a surprise inspection.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/27/jamie-oliver-poverty-ready-meals-tv
Jamie Oliver is a fucking pratt to put it mildly Rolling Eyes 

He said that the poor spend their money on plasma TV screens rather than to feed their kids properly the stupid Daily Mail reading Tory prick doesn't seem to realise that the minimum wage can hardly cover your rent and living expenses let alone a bloody plasma TV!

He admitted today that his restaurants would close down without foreign migrants because they are prepared to work for next to nothing and are more used to bunking up together ten to a room etc to reduce their rent etc...Whilst this might seem admirable to some to me it's bloody slave labour and poor conditions that shouldn't be put up with.

He is completely out of touch and doesn't realise that it is cheaper to buy ready meals than to buy fresh stuff in this country ffs people on the minimum wage are working and have to rely on food banks due to the massive rents in London and the ever increasing food costs and utility bill costs etc:twisted:

Back to top Go down

Jamie Oliver vs. poverty as "the world of 'no'" Empty Re: Jamie Oliver vs. poverty as "the world of 'no'"

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 pm

.......Also he was brought up in a very well to do family so doesn't know anything about poverty. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Oh.....And he's fat and ugly and his wife was only ever with him for the money lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:43 pm

One last thought.....

If he is such a healthy eater why is he such a fatty lardy arse?

pirat lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:29 am

So I gather you don't care for Jamie Oliver? lol! 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:36 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/stop-slagging-off-jamie-oliver-hes-earned-the-right-to-these-opinions-8788228.html

lol! 
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:So I gather you don't care for Jamie Oliver? lol! 
He was on the BBC one show this evening trying to defend his comments and he has a new TV series coming out about how to make the most of your left over food and stuff that you would normally put in the bin.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:05 am

Jamie looks sick, or is it just the unhealthy English pallor? pale pale pale 

His Aussie one was laughable, he suggested very boring English food that is tasteless, once you're exposed to the flavours of Asia and India, and not really suitable for our Climate.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:10 am

veya_victaous wrote:very boring English food that is tasteless, once you're exposed to the flavours of Asia and India
I've often wondered what curry must taste like in the U.K.; do they make it blander? We have something similar in the U.S. -- the farther north you go, the blander the Mexican food Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:20 am

yep similar here the further from the city the more your Anglofied the Chinese food.

I cant say for sure but Indians say Aussie Curries are closer to real Indians Curries than the English ones.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:59 pm

veya_victaous wrote:Jamie looks sick, or is it just the unhealthy English pallor? pale pale pale 

His Aussie one was laughable, he suggested very boring English food that is tasteless, once you're exposed to the flavours of Asia and India, and not really suitable for our Climate.
Are you still sore at losing the ashes  Razz 

You haven't tried a good English roast beef/lamb dinner then?

You make a very good point though Veya we should stick to the tasty dishes that we are really good at making rather than to attempt to go somewhere that we really know nothing about  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 pm

@CATMAN
HA we don’t have to have lost anything for Me to Vilify and Englishman Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil being half French half Aussie means that one thing both sides of me agree on Razz Razz Razz Razz

Ahh the English Roast or as I like to call it the Old 'Meat and Heat' school of cooking tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

All in Jest, but I happen to have a running gag with an English decent friend about his nations terrible culinary skills
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 am

veya_victaous wrote:@CATMAN
HA we don’t have to have lost anything for Me to Vilify and Englishman Twisted EvilTwisted EvilTwisted Evil:twisted:being half French half Aussie means that one thing both sides of me agree on Razz:P:P:P

Ahh the English Roast or as I like to call it the Old 'Meat and Heat' school of cooking tonguetonguetonguetonguetongue

All in Jest, but I happen to have a running gag with an English decent friend about his nations terrible culinary skills

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down