NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Columbus Day

3 posters

Go down

Happy Columbus Day Empty Happy Columbus Day

Post by Cass Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:23 am

Thanks to Christo for discovering......well......erm......the West Indies but we still get a day off. What a guy.

in his honor I'm making Italian sausage pasta and its time for Monday Night Football.......go Niners (
the Pack won yesterday with a TD with 6 seconds left on the clock and the Seahawks got spanked by the cowboys bwahahaha).

happy trails y'all Cool
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Happy Columbus Day Empty Re: Happy Columbus Day

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:38 am

I have to say, that Cowboys win was quite a surprise! Wish I got the day off. Wish even more that I didn't waste so much time on the endless debating today ...

Go Pack, but my fantasy team needs Lacy to pick it up!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:21 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:I have to say, that Cowboys win was quite a surprise! Wish I got the day off. Wish even more that I didn't waste so much time on the endless debating today ...

Go Pack, but my fantasy team needs Lacy to pick it up!

I will pass in the message Cool

I'm off Monday's anyway and we can choose whether or not to have today as holiday or Friday after thanksgiving ....well duh....no contest.....had breakfast out with the boys then some serious gardening etc....

I was in the concert during the game but I do believe when we were in the restaurant and Mr. C read out the score, he sulked while I got up and did a happy dance....

tbh you guys are just going round in circles.......love you all though xxx

Ps.....the niners better step up to the plate and pull their finger out and put pedal to the metal ......
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:30 am

Re: Lacy -- much obliged Happy Columbus Day 1366281442
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:38 am

Re: 9ers -- this is a closer game than I anticipated! I don't really have a favorite team in this contest -- I have the Rams QB as a bye-week replacement, but I already won my game so Razz Razz Razz get ready for that sweet 2-4 record ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:58 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Re: 9ers -- this is a closer game than I anticipated! I don't really have a favorite team in this contest -- I have the Rams QB as a bye-week replacement, but I already won my game so Razz Razz Razz get ready for that sweet 2-4 record ...

It wasn't even a contest. By 4th Quarter, Niners had the subs in. 31 - 17, I believe. Thanks to the 'Boys for doin' in Seattle for us.

Wait 'til we get Smith and Bowman back.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:41 am

I turned it off after it went to 24-14, didn't care that much Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:13 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Re: 9ers -- this is a closer game than I anticipated! I don't really have a favorite team in this contest -- I have the Rams QB as a bye-week replacement, but I already won my game so Razz Razz Razz get ready for that sweet 2-4 record ...

It wasn't even a contest. By 4th Quarter, Niners had the subs in. 31 - 17, I believe. Thanks to the 'Boys for doin' in Seattle for us.

no no no quill.....with 1.05 left to go in the 4th Q. we intercepted and scored a TD......to end up 31-17 Cool

great game and great results this weekend. Whoop! oh and the pasta was delish....I decided to use gnocchi instead of. regular pasta.....yummy.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It wasn't even a contest.  By 4th Quarter, Niners had the subs in.  31 - 17, I believe.  Thanks to the 'Boys for doin' in Seattle for us.  

no no no quill.....with 1.05 left to go in the 4th Q. we intercepted and scored a TD......to end up 31-17 Cool

great game and great results this weekend. Whoop! oh and the pasta was delish....I decided to use gnocchi instead of. regular pasta.....yummy.

Lov gnocchi.

And the guy who intercepted for the Niners was Dontae Johnson, a rookie cornerback they got in the 4th round, who was just subbing. The Niners have sooo much depth. Love it. The linebackers who are subbing for Smith and Bowman--Skuta and Michael Wilhoite--are great. The new running back from Ohio State--Carlos Hyde--is a great replacement for Gore, who is long in the tooth. And they still have Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James. And look at Stevie Johnson, the new receiver. Add Bruce Ellington and Jimmie Ward...what a future.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Cass wrote:
Lov gnocchi.

And the guy who intercepted for the Niners was Dontae Johnson, a rookie cornerback they got in the 4th round, who was just subbing. The Niners have sooo much depth. Love it. The linebackers who are subbing for Smith and Bowman--Skuta and Michael Wilhoite--are great. The new running back from Ohio State--Carlos Hyde--is a great replacement for Gore, who is long in the tooth. And they still have Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James. And look at Stevie Johnson, the new receiver. Add Bruce Ellington and Jimmie Ward...what a future.

the future is so bright I have to wear shades Cool.....a long way to go but I'm liking the fact that JH seems to be building up the new core. Still love me some Anquan and Frank though.

grilled some Italian sausages - made a sauce with garlic herbs pepper white wine and heavy whipping cream, booked up the gnocchi then mixed the whole together sliced up the sausages put into casserole dish dotted with real mozerella and some grated parmesan 20 mins in oven 3 mins broil and voila heaven on a plate
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
Lov gnocchi.  

And the guy who intercepted for the Niners was Dontae Johnson, a rookie cornerback they got in the 4th round, who was just subbing.  The Niners have sooo much depth.  Love it.  The linebackers who are subbing for Smith and Bowman--Skuta and Michael Wilhoite--are great.  The new running back from Ohio State--Carlos Hyde--is a great replacement for Gore, who is long in the tooth.  And they still have Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James.  And look at Stevie Johnson, the new receiver.  Add Bruce Ellington and Jimmie Ward...what a future.

the future is so bright I have to wear shades Cool.....a long way to go but I'm liking the fact that JH seems to be building up the new core. Still love me some Anquan and Frank though.

grilled some Italian sausages - made a sauce with garlic herbs pepper white wine and heavy whipping cream,  booked up the gnocchi then mixed the whole together sliced up the sausages put into casserole dish dotted with real mozerella and some grated parmesan 20 mins in oven 3 mins broil and voila heaven on a plate

Sounds delish...oven at what, 350°? Just sausage, no veggies?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Do not want to put a dampener on this but :

The strife that has engulfed Christopher Columbus’s legacy in recent years has put the concept of an Indigenous People’s Day at the forefront of discussion.
In theory, as we move forward in our lives, we should make every effort to broaden our perspective and to seek out the truth. As we mature so should our thought process. Such maturation holds true on both an individual and a societal basis. A broad understanding of history enables one to reconcile the past, comprehend the present, and reasonably theorize how future events may unfold. As truths are discovered, norms begin to shift. Such forthright thinking is necessary to fully grasp the complexities of historical events and figures. This is particularly true with respect to the legacy of Christopher Columbus. A polarizing historical figure whose life has been defined, by many, for his astonishing level of courage and intestinal fortitude; nevertheless, such impressive traits should never blur the fact that he oversaw a murderous quest for material riches that resulted in the utter demise of a people. Each year, as October 12th comes and goes, a question is raised – what are we celebrating about his life?

http://disinfo.com/2014/10/columbus-day-sanitization-history/

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:02 pm

What kind of Italian sausages, Cass? Hot? Or mild?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:32 pm

Good point raised regarding what we're actually celebrating when we celebrate Columbus -- I think here in the U.S. we're mainly, really, celebrating that he was born in Italy Smile

Happy Columbus Day 20121008-WEB-Columbus-Day-IMG_8573-Amal-Chen

It's basically the same way we celebrate St. Patrick's Day over here, more of a celebration of heritage than anything else.

I think native people obviously deserve a holiday, month of recognition, etc. -- although some would say there are already elements of that in Thanksgiving, it's definitely not the major theme.

Regarding what we should be celebrating on Columbus Day, I would propose celebrating the many positive effects of the Columbian Exchange. Without it, Ireland wouldn't have potatoes, Italy wouldn't have tomatoes, India would have no curry. Texas wouldn't have horses, Florida wouldn't have oranges. Columbia wouldn't have coffee. Switzerland wouldn't have chocolate.

Basically, the world was an alien hell dimension before the Columbian Exchange. Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:44 am

Original Quill wrote:What kind of Italian sausages, Cass? Hot? Or mild?

sorry - at work just home.

whichever you prefer....you can use ground or links - grill the links then cut them up into slices...

as to veggies - usually I use wilted spinach, mushrooms or roasted tomatoes but I just forgot last night - too into the game.

felice mangiare!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:11 am

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:What kind of Italian sausages, Cass?  Hot? Or mild?

whichever you prefer....you can use ground or links - grill the links then cut them up into slices...

as to veggies - usually I use wilted spinach, mushrooms or roasted tomatoes but I just forgot last night - too into the game.

felice mangiare!

Hot's the only way to go ... Buen provecho! Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Cass wrote:

felice mangiare!

Hot's the only way to go ... Buen provecho! Smile

true but I don't like wearing a gas mask in bed so.......
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:49 pm

I like hot sausages, just because I like hot food.  Safeway sells some Calabrian sausages from Reggio.  Mmmmm....  When I make Jambalaya I slice some up and toss em in with the crayfish, chicken and shrimp.

In a bowl combine shrimp, chicken and Creole seasoning, and work in seasoning well. In a large saucepan heat oil over high heat with onion, pepper and celery, 3 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire and hot sauces. Stir in rice and slowly add broth. Reduce heat to medium and cook until rice absorbs liquid and becomes tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. When rice is just tender add shrimp and chicken mixture and sausage. Cook until meat is done, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down