NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too Much Screen Time May Worsen Kids' Ability to Read Emotions

4 posters

Go down

Too Much Screen Time May Worsen Kids' Ability to Read Emotions Empty Too Much Screen Time May Worsen Kids' Ability to Read Emotions

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Too much face-to-screen time and not enough face-to-face interaction could degrade kids' ability to read other people's emotions, a new study suggests.

A team of researchers from UCLA discovered that a group of sixth graders who didn't use a phone, TV or computer for five days were much better at reading other people's emotions correctly than a group of sixth graders who spent those five days engrossed with their phones and other electronic devices for their normal amount of time.

http://www.livescience.com/47602-screen-time-human-emotion-recognition.html

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Too Much Screen Time May Worsen Kids' Ability to Read Emotions Empty Re: Too Much Screen Time May Worsen Kids' Ability to Read Emotions

Post by groomsy Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:49 am

this is a bunch of bullsheet

i watched tv 28/11 and im fine and still can tell people are assholios
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Too Much Screen Time May Worsen Kids' Ability to Read Emotions Empty Re: Too Much Screen Time May Worsen Kids' Ability to Read Emotions

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:18 am

groomsy wrote:this is a bunch of bullsheet

i watched tv 28/11 and im fine and still can tell people are assholios

Are you a child?

So how can you say it is bullshit when they are learning to develop these skills, when you already have developed yours, where there clearly is a growing problem today where children more and more lack social and people skills.

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:26 am

because i did watch tv alot as a child

they want to blame tv for everything, its not the tv its the parents not having time for them
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:07 am

groomsy wrote:because i did watch tv alot as a child

they want to blame tv for everything, its not the tv its the parents not having time for them

I think that may be right :::grouch::

I wonder what the correlation is between time spent with the kids parenting versus stick the phone/pad in their hands so they shut up Suspect
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:09 am

further to that i doubt it matters as part of a balanced lifestyle, but if the parents aren't spending time playing with them etc and just sticking them in front of TV or electronic device then Obviously that is going to be detrimental...
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:00 pm

groomsy wrote:because i did watch tv alot as a child

So?
Did you also interact with many people?
If you did, then your point is very moot, where again, many children at least interacted as I did when growing up and not just spent time watching TV, where today many children are clued to their computers. There is also a huge difference with the distance of where you are sat watching TV compared to a PC. Where playing games for hours can have even more ill affects, let alone, this and anything where concentration of a screen even in the work place advises people to have regular breaks from usage.
Its actually trying to help prevent problems for the future, where no parent should use a TV or a computer as a babysitter, where some these days do in fact do this, because they do not interact with their children enough.
It makes perfect sense this report and something I have suspected for ages, where the reality is children are not playing or are active but sat behind computers or TV's which is not healthy or good for a child devolving, especially when they need plenty of energy, so they can learn, staring at a screen for too long, has many counter productive affects

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:11 pm

I will add, some people think they can read emotions and are not very good at it, you say you can tell if someone is an arsehole, but can you pick up other emotion when it is not so obvious, which entails understanding facial expressions and body and hand movements, with also voice differences. These are learnt growing up, how we see our parents, friends etc interact. You will find many people who will misread how a person is feeling, so it maybe a case you have also been affected by too much TV.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 pm

veya_victaous wrote:further to that i doubt it matters as part of a balanced lifestyle, but if the parents aren't spending time playing with them etc and just sticking them in front of TV or electronic device then Obviously that is going to be detrimental...

Being a parent isn't easy, there are a million and one priorities Too Much Screen Time May Worsen Kids' Ability to Read Emotions Multi_11 never enough time for the things that really matter Sad

It's what I love about being an Auntie, I get to do all the good stuff.  Children just want to be played with, the simple stuff, attention, imagination, love.  I'm always the one on the floor playing imaginary pass the parcel etc.  Children are amazing, all too often taken for granted. Precious times x

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:53 pm

I probably spend more time in front of screens than I should, but I'm great at reading people's emotions. When they glance out of the corner of their eyes, it means they're up to something -- especially if ominous music plays at the same time. Easy.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down