NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call For Kids To Be Rewarded On ‘Effort Not Ability’, After School Hands Out ‘More Able’ Badges

+4
Ben Reilly
eddie
'Wolfie
Syl
8 posters

Go down

Call For Kids To Be Rewarded On ‘Effort Not Ability’, After School Hands Out ‘More Able’ Badges Empty Call For Kids To Be Rewarded On ‘Effort Not Ability’, After School Hands Out ‘More Able’ Badges

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:22 am

Schools should be rewarding effort not ability, an education journalist has urged after revealing pupils at one secondary school had been given “more able” badges.

Cathy Murray, from London, tweeted a photo of a schoolchild’s badge that read “more able” on 17 October.

The features editor at Schools Week, explained that a Year 8 pupil she knew had shown her they had received the badge at school as a reward.

“They were proud of the badge,” she told HuffPost UK. “The pupils were given them out over several weeks gradually, with no explanation of what the badges meant.

“The badges started appearing and so other students who didn’t have them felt jealous and left out. So this teenager felt vindicated and enjoyed it.

“But it wasn’t clear to the student why they had the badge.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/more-able-badge-children-school_uk_59e9ff48e4b0df10767c806f?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Call For Kids To Be Rewarded On ‘Effort Not Ability’, After School Hands Out ‘More Able’ Badges Empty Re: Call For Kids To Be Rewarded On ‘Effort Not Ability’, After School Hands Out ‘More Able’ Badges

Post by Syl Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:20 pm

No wonder the kids are confused, I was confused myself reading it.

Is she saying that children who do well in school should not be recognised for their hard work, only children who are not as academically gifted (the less clever ones) if they make an effort should be given recognition?

That's like saying the kid who comes last in the race should get a medal but the winner should not. scratch
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Call For Kids To Be Rewarded On ‘Effort Not Ability’, After School Hands Out ‘More Able’ Badges Empty Re: Call For Kids To Be Rewarded On ‘Effort Not Ability’, After School Hands Out ‘More Able’ Badges

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Syl wrote:No wonder the kids are confused, I was confused myself reading it.

Is she saying that children who do well in school should not be recognised for their hard work, only children who are not as academically gifted (the less clever ones) if they make an effort should be given recognition?

That's like saying the kid who comes last in the race should get a medal but the winner should not. scratch

Its the snowflake mentality of today.

To take away incentive from children, or to rise to challenges, of which they will face many throughout their lives.

Now of course there are children who will never perform as good as some others. That does not mean they cannot succeed or do well. They simple need support, but there is nothing wrong with rewarding those who do achieve. It provides a platform for all to do better.

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Smile

There is nothing wrong with the simple notion of encouraging students to work harder (and 'smarter' --  i.e. more effectively/efficiently/productively..), and aiming for better results...

However, there is something inherently wrong-headed with the concept of "rewarding" students for simply working harder, but at the expense of not recognising the actual results and outcomes from other students..

Such reverse discrimination, in not acknowledging the actual results, will only succeed in dragging down the overall group and 'normalizing' lower outcomes --  rather than lifting the averages for the class as a whole, and may even discourage some of the brighter or more talented pupils.

This reminds me of those misguided primary school teachers telling their classes "you're all 'special' in your own way", *you can be/do anything you want to be..", "you only have to set your mind to it.."  --  when the reality is that those muddle-headed teachers are only setting up the majority of those students for major disappointments (after all, only around 30% will go on to uni', and less than 30% will end up in professional/semi-professional and academic roles..).         What a Face
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:11 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Smile

There is nothing wrong with the simple notion of encouraging students to work harder (and 'smarter' --  i.e. more effectively/efficiently/productively..), and aiming for better results...

However, there is something inherently wrong-headed with the concept of "rewarding" students for simply working harder, but at the expense of not recognising the actual results and outcomes from other students..

Such reverse discrimination, in not acknowledging the actual results, will only succeed in dragging down the overall group and 'normalizing' lower outcomes --  rather than lifting the averages for the class as a whole, and may even discourage some of the brighter or more talented pupils.

This reminds me of those misguided primary school teachers telling their classes "you're all 'special' in your own way", *you can be/do anything you want to be..", "you only have to set your mind to it.."  --  when the reality is that those muddle-headed teachers are only setting up the majority of those students for major disappointments (after all, only around 30% will go on to uni', and less than 30% will end up in professional/semi-professional and academic roles..).         What a Face

Great post, have a thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:No wonder the kids are confused, I was confused myself reading it.

Its the snowflake mentality of today.

To take away incentive from children, or to rise to challenges, of which they will face many throughout their lives.

Now of course there are children who will never perform as good as some others. That does not mean they cannot succeed or do well. They simple need support, but there is nothing wrong with rewarding those who do achieve. It provides a platform for all to do better.

Exactly that. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:40 pm

My son was always the top of his classes and always held up as an excellent example at all his schools.

Just recently he achieved all A* and A** in all his GCSE's (final exams at high school) and his school wrote an article about him and a couple of others who'd done brilliantly too. His particular school is a fantastic school - they always acknowledge the really high-achievers and also the pupils who've gone up in their grades over the years.  

My point is, not all schools are the same. You do find that the schools in poorer areas, where academic achievement can be pretty low, will hand out these "rewards" to encourage and give confidence to less-able students. I think it's a good idea to do that.

From my years of working in education, in front of the scenes and behind the scenes, (teacher's assistant and school governor), I've found that the high-achievers and the less-able pupils take up all the teaching time in some respects and it's the "middle table" children, the average achiever if you will, that lose out and become almost invisible.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Congratulations to your son for doing so brilliantly ...I bet you are dead proud.
I agree that rewarding kids who are not naturally clever but try hard is a good incentive, but it should never be at the expense of the clever kids who seemingly sail through, if they get good grades they deserve the acknowledgment that they have done well.

I reckon you are right about the middle of the road kids losing out.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Syl wrote:Congratulations to your son for doing so brilliantly ...I bet you are dead proud.
I agree that rewarding kids who are not naturally clever but try hard is a good incentive, but it should never be at the expense of the clever kids who seemingly sail through, if they get good grades they deserve the acknowledgment that they have done well.

Thanks you Syl, I'm proud of his grades but I'm more proud that he did this all by himself, his self-discipline to study is beyond belief.
When children reach age 11 and go off to high school it's all up to them. I told my son this when he went to high school - I'd done all the ground work I could and now it was up to him to run with it or lose it all.

I have to add too, that he's been chosen to go to Cambridge university for a two-day stay to see how he likes it. The university does this thing every year where it picks the top students across the country and they get a chance to check it out. His A level literacy teacher rang me and told me that only six pupils in the county got chosen and out of the six, three of them were from his school.  What an achievement for his school!! They're hoping to get all six, including my son, a scholarship/bursary to attend Cambridge if they hit the grades the teachers are expecting (or hoping for).

I don't want to pressure my son at all - it's entirely his decision.

And yes, middle table children nearly always stay that way, in the middle, unless they have a really good teacher who inspires them.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm

That's amazing Eddie, it is an honour for the school, and a great achievement for your son, when only six are picked and he is one of the six... cheers

My grandson is at York uni....he is doing really well, and is even working part time as well as studying full time...and still managing to have a social life, he loves it all.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:09 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Congratulations to your son for doing so brilliantly ...I bet you are dead proud.

Thanks you Syl, I'm proud of his grades but I'm more proud that he did this all by himself, his self-discipline to study is beyond belief.
When children reach age 11 and go off to high school it's all up to them. I told my son this when he went to high school - I'd done all the ground work I could and now it was up to him to run with it or lose it all.

I have to add too, that he's been chosen to go to Cambridge university for a two-day stay to see how he likes it. The university does this thing every year where it picks the top students across the country and they get a chance to check it out. His A level literacy teacher rang me and told me that only six pupils in the county got chosen and out of the six, three of them were from his school.  What an achievement for his school!! They're hoping to get all six, including my son, a scholarship/bursary to attend Cambridge if they hit the grades the teachers are expecting (or hoping for).

And yes, middle table children nearly always stay that way, in the middle, unless they have a really good teacher who inspires them.

Great points until your last sentence Eddie?

As where does true inspiration stem from?

Does it really need a good teacher to inspire, or those within that family?

I agree in that teachers should be inspirational, but its not just them but parents.

Look at your son, as I am sure by your great relationship with your son. That a mass percentage over why he has achieved is down to you inspiring. More than any teacher he had. As you instilled an ethos to succeed.

That is what is needed. A belief and will to do better for ourselves.

So then if middle of the road students stay that way, because, nobody is inspiring them and see that they can easily do better. Then they are not inspired and because nobody is really encouraging them.

The most important learning stages for a child is 1-4.

You are testament to the fact you did this right with your children with your son.

You taught him well and thus whilst inspirational teachers are a great plus to learning. That will never be better than parents teaching from the earliest ages to their children to succeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Syl wrote:That's amazing Eddie, it is an honour for the school, and a great achievement for your son, when only six are picked and he is one of the six... cheers

My grandson is at York uni....he is doing really well, and is even working part time as well as studying full time...and still managing to have a social life, he loves it all.

I bet he's loving it! I knew someone who's son went to York Uni and did fantastically well and York is a beautiful place.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Didge I agree that it definitely does start at home - from birth really if I'm honest. There's a saying that your child is your child up until the age of twelve and then they're not yours anymore.

But! He did have some really good teachers - at infant school (his history teacher was brilliant) and at his junior school.

He wasn't hitting his potential in high school at first, in literacy - which was always his "gifted" subject. He kept saying over and over he really didn't like his teacher (I met her and she was very similar to me! Hahahahaha) and when he moved classes his grades shot up and now he's taking A level English lit after getting 100% in both his GSCE papers.

So teachers do make a huge difference.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:That's amazing Eddie, it is an honour for the school, and a great achievement for your son, when only six are picked and he is one of the six... cheers

I bet he's loving it! I knew someone who's son went to York Uni and did fantastically well and York is a beautiful place.  

Its great, we go up every few weeks and spend the day there, he picks out the nicest places to eat and we have a great time.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:39 pm

eddie wrote:Didge I agree that it definitely does start at home - from birth really if I'm honest. There's a saying that your child is your child up until the age of twelve and then they're not yours anymore.

But! He did have some really good teachers - at infant school (his history teacher was brilliant) and at his junior school.

He wasn't hitting his potential in high school at first, in literacy - which was always his "gifted" subject. He kept saying over and over he really didn't like his teacher (I met her and she was very similar to me! Hahahahaha) and when he moved classes his grades shot up and now he's taking A level English lit after getting 100% in both his GSCE papers.

So teachers do make a huge difference.

I am not disputing the influence teachers have had and in some cases it is instrumental in how children then go to achieve. It can very much be a combination of these factors.

My point though holds true. He may not have been hitting his potential, which I guess had more to do with other factors and not his ability. As seen he always had the ability. I mean you compliment how a teacher he does not like is like you. Putting yourself down. Whether you like it or not, this was something else here distracting him. Was it events at the time that made him at odds with his teacher then?

Was it the similarity in personalities that made him come to conflict with his subject? That he felt like you were there and that he could not be at his best, because you are a distraction. Where someone similar to you, reminds him of you. I bet he did not like her, as he could not be his true self in front of her. He felt controlled.

So I am not denying how teachers make a difference, but they only do off the back of what has been instilled at such a young age before hand.

Encouragement

You have encouraged your son all the way through, but you are as critical of yourself more than any. When he had a teacher that reminded him of you. My guess is that he could never be himself, in the fear of letting you down. He saw in her, you. Thus emotions controlled him unsubconciously. It means you instilled a view to succeed, whether you recognize that or not.

I am guessing of course

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Possibly you're right, didge. I did sort of mention all that to him and he said he just didn't like her - but she really liked him, strangely. Perhaps it was a personality clash, but when he went to get his results in the summer holidays, she was there along with all his other teachers, and she told him she knew he could do it and she hugged him. I was in Texas at the time and missed going with him though he insists he'd have rather gone alone.

I certainly think I did my part in making him who he is today, even when he's being a complete areshole he still reminds me of me Hahahahahaha

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:22 pm

eddie wrote:Possibly you're right, didge. I did sort of mention all that to him and he said he just didn't like her - but she really liked him, strangely.  Perhaps it was a personality clash, but when he went to get his results in the summer holidays, she was there along with all his other teachers, and she told him she knew he could do it and she hugged him.  I was in Texas at the time and missed going with him though he insists he'd have rather gone alone.

I certainly think I did my part in making him who he is today, even when he's being a complete areshole he still reminds me of me Hahahahahaha

That is beautiful.
She liked him and had faith in him
I think he tried to fight against that
She had faith in him, like you.

It clearly had some effect.. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Yeah I think it did. He's a great kid but he has a big mouth, like me.
He wants to be a lawyer. He has the talk for it. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:26 pm

eddie wrote:Yeah I think it did. He's a great kid but he has a big mouth, like me.

Ha ha ha

You mean he is like you, in that he does not hold back when pissed off?
he speaks his mind?

There is nothing wrong with that.... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:Yeah I think it did. He's a great kid but he has a big mouth, like me.

Ha ha ha

he speaks his mind?

No I guess there isn't (and you would know!).
I should've spoken out against some things years ago but I have a very strong need to keep the peace and make everyone else happy.
Hey ho, you live and learn.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:34 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Ha ha ha

he speaks his mind?

No I guess there isn't (and you would know!).  
I should've spoken out against some things years ago but I have a very strong need to keep the peace and make everyone else happy.

Hey ho, you live and learn.

I know you want to make everyone happy

That is why frustration can set in and why you end up in conflict many times

You still speak your mind when angry. You may after regret it, but you also believe it will do some good.

Believe me sometimes it does

I am living proof of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Oh I've made a few discoveries this year in particular didge, I've really spoken out at last to some people - my mother being one - and it's actually made our relationship much healthier. I've come a long way in the last two years and my life hardly looks the same anymore.

I'm happier though. A lot happier.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 pm

eddie wrote:Oh I've made a few discoveries this year in particular didge, I've really spoken out at last to some people - my mother being one - and it's actually made our relationship much healthier.  I've come a long way in the last two years and my life hardly looks the same anymore.

I'm happier though. A lot happier.

It was always in you to do so..

You set yourself free when you stopped being afraid to do so

I am happy for you Eddie. You have come a long way. Now its time to place yourself first for a change. Not all the time, but some of the time.

On that I wish you luck.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Hahaha thank you Didge!

I think we may have gone slightly off topic. Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:55 pm

eddie wrote:Hahaha thank you Didge!

Who cares that we went off topic... Cool

Just remain who you are now, as you do inspire others.

You now know what you want... Cool

All the best Eddie

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:Hahaha thank you Didge!

Who cares that we went off topic... Cool

Just remain who you are now, as you do inspire others.

You now know what you want... Cool

All the best Eddie

Night

Laters didge. I'm off out to get me some whisky. Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Fantastic eddie you have a clever son there - my boy is studying to be a vet as you know - but he left it late to decide this he is 27 now and will be 31 when he graduates but I guess it is the right time for him and I am so proud of him . It makes us proud because all the hard work and encouragement has paid off .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:23 pm

well done to your boy, eddie

I can only assume he gets his brains from his father's side of the family

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Creating the losers criminals and benefits scrounger labour voters of tomorrow

On the plus side, we will have plenty of burger flippers to keep macdonalds going

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Nothing wrong with working at McDonalds.
Not everyone is accademic, not everyone is ambitious, and even if they are, not all kids have the chance to go to uni.
Its an honest job, and a lot better than scrounging off the state with no intention of holding down a job.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:43 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:Creating the losers criminals and benefits scrounger labour voters  of tomorrow

On the plus side, we will have plenty of burger flippers to keep macdonalds going

Well, someone has to cook your lunch smelly. Must be hard to make more than one burger on the one-ring gas stove in your one-man room.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:31 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:Creating the losers criminals and benefits scrounger labour voters  of tomorrow

Wow, is there anybody you *don't* hate?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:28 pm

In the 60s, only about 5% of school leavers went on to uni... 70s was about 8% I think...

Now it is about 33%...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8235115/Dumbing-down-of-university-grades-revealed.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208795/One-university-students-boil-egg-quite-happily-set-broadband.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2510704/University-students-cannot-spell.html

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:06 am

Syl wrote:
Nothing wrong with working at McDonalds.
Not everyone is accademic, not everyone is ambitious, and even if they are,  not all kids have the chance to go to uni.
Its an honest job, and a lot better than scrounging off the state with no intention of holding down a job.

Idea

And, although some employers are even unnecessarily asking for degrees for some jobs that don't realistically require one nowadays, the fact remains that less than 20% of positions in the wider workforce honestly require university-level education... Maybe another 10% or more could be for career advancement, research and workplace enhancement, and personal interests..

There is a greater need for the technical/Polytechnic/TAFE trained tradies, technicians and semi-professionals; and then there are a lot of non-academic and non-trade roles where people can be trained on the job, and earn industry-recognised qualifications; and let's not also forget that there are always a few self-taught & industry-trained craftsmen and artisans, farmers and gardeners, among the self-employed, small business people and contractors.

The economy would grind to a halt pretty quick, without the actual workers who keep the 'business of business' rolling along..

And there will always be that bottom 10%, or more in some regions, of people "between jobs", those recently laid off or made redundant in disappearing industry sectors, those honestly unable to find new jobs, the disabled and those "medically unfit" for work, or there's always that bottom 1 or 2% who either don't want to work, or who used to be absorbed into the fast-shrinking "general labour" znd "menial work" sectors...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:56 am

Tommy Monk wrote:In the 60s, only about 5% of school leavers went on to uni... 70s was about 8% I think...

Now it is about 33%...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8235115/Dumbing-down-of-university-grades-revealed.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208795/One-university-students-boil-egg-quite-happily-set-broadband.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2510704/University-students-cannot-spell.html

the flip side is that the old manufacturing jobs that used to employ people are gone, they are now 3rd world worker jobs that pay a pittance.
So Obviously a greater percentage need to complete further education to preform more 'advanced' jobs found in western economies.

And those articles are misleading as often the measures that are used (like spelling) are simply old skills of little to no relevance in the modern world, about as useful as knowing how to shoe horses. Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:20 pm

Something to think about.

Call For Kids To Be Rewarded On ‘Effort Not Ability’, After School Hands Out ‘More Able’ Badges Our-ed10
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:19 am

eddie wrote:

Awesome boy! Not surprising though, since he has a pretty cool Mum Wink

Getting the opportunity to study at Cambridge is incredible, especially considering he wants to be a lawyer Smile

And to the influence, it is definitely both parents and teachers. Parents provide the bulk of it, but a particular passion for learning or a particular subject, that takes a great teacher. That I got my degree in history and still read on the subject today is due in no small part to, like your son, having a brilliant high school history teacher.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down