NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lessons From The Last Time Civilization Collapsed

2 posters

Go down

Lessons From The Last Time Civilization Collapsed Empty Lessons From The Last Time Civilization Collapsed

Post by Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:32 pm

Consider this, if you would: a network of far-flung, powerful, high-tech civilizations closely tied by trade and diplomatic embassies; an accelerating threat of climate change and its pressure on food production; a rising wave of displaced populations ready to sweep across and overwhelm developed nations.

Sound familiar?

While that laundry list of impending doom could be aimed at our era, it's actually a description of the world 3,000 years ago. It is humanity's first "global" dark age as described by archaeologist and George Washington University professor Eric H. Cline in his recent book 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed.

1177 B.C. is, for Cline, a milepost. A thousand years before Rome or Christ or Buddha, there existed a powerful array of civilizations in the Near and Middle East that had risen to the height of their glory. Then, fairly suddenly, the great web of interconnected civilizations imploded and disappeared.

The question that haunts Eric Cline is why. What drove such a complex set of societies to all perish almost all at once? The answers and its lesson, Cline argues, are a story we moderns should not ignore. When I asked him about the parallels between 1177 B.C. and A.D. 2014, Cline responded:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2014/08/19/341573332/lessons-from-the-last-time-civilization-collapsed

Back to top Go down

Lessons From The Last Time Civilization Collapsed Empty Re: Lessons From The Last Time Civilization Collapsed

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Very interesting. Must order the book.

Thx Didge.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Lessons From The Last Time Civilization Collapsed Empty Re: Lessons From The Last Time Civilization Collapsed

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:29 am

Original Quill wrote:Very interesting.  Must order the book.

Thx Didge.

No worries Quill, I am going to do the same, as sounds fascinating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:25 am

on it.
x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 am

Cass wrote:on it.
x

Already me Lady?

Cool

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:on it.
x

Already me Lady?

Cool

x
ha ha no I wish......will be putting it in my next book order and guess who will have the first reservation?????

x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:

Already me Lady?

Cool

x
ha ha no I wish......will be putting it in my next book order and guess who will have the first reservation?????

x

Very Jealous.

xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:

x

Very Jealous.

xx

Xactly what I was thinking, Didge. Cass has gotta have the coolest job in the world.  Razz 

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

Very Jealous.

xx

Xactly what I was thinking, Didge.  Cass has gotta have the coolest job in the world.  Razz 

I would be crap at her job though Quill as i would spend all day reading. ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:30 am

it is pretty cool.....remember Librarians Do It In The Stacks :8
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 am

A sexy grad student I was close to **ahem** at the U of A, once told me that Library Science was the "only real science."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down