NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat

+2
Original Quill
harvesmom
6 posters

Go down

Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Empty Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 pm

These are just some of the record number of baby hedgehogs being cared for in rescue centres due to this summer’s warm weather – their thirsty mothers having lost them.

Hedgehog mothers with newborns need plenty of water to make milk for their hoglets, but the hot spell has left the land dry.  As a result, mothers often travel so far from home for a drink they forget where they left their litter.

Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Article-2720947-20636ADF00000578-513_962x621

There are also fewer slugs and snails around while hardened soil makes it impossible for hedgehogs to scoop up worms lurking just under the surface.

‘The sunshine may be lovely for humans but it means less food for hedgehogs,’ said Rhonda Lenihan of Leicester Hedgehog Rescue.

These hoglets are being cared for at the Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital in Buckinghamshire.

Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Article-2720947-2063780B00000578-992_962x553

Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Article-2720947-20636ADA00000578-487_962x1274

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2720947/Saved-prickly-end-Adorable-pictures-baby-hedgehogs-abandoned-mothers-got-lost-searching-scarce-water-summer-heat.html

How cute are they??? Max has "alerted" us to hedgehogs in our garden this year.  We are leaving water out for them  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Empty Re: Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat

Post by harvesmom Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Awww how cute! I used to get hedgehogs but not for the last few years. Could do with some to eat all the slugs, seems to have loads of the things this year!
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Empty Re: Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:41 pm

harvesmom wrote:Awww how cute! I used to get hedgehogs but not for the last few years. Could do with some to eat all the slugs, seems to have loads of the things this year!

Me too, we've had them indoors too!  They make a silvery trail across the carpet and they have even reached the ceiling leaving their mark  Rolling Eyes 

We haven't had hedgehogs for the past couple of years despite us burying a hedgehog house deep in our borders but they are back cheers  carry fleas and ticks though so always make sure Max is protected x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:46 pm

feelthelove wrote:
harvesmom wrote:Awww how cute! I used to get hedgehogs but not for the last few years. Could do with some to eat all the slugs, seems to have loads of the things this year!

Me too, we've had them indoors too!  They make a silvery trail across the carpet and they have even reached the ceiling leaving their mark  Rolling Eyes 

We haven't had hedgehogs for the past couple of years despite us burying a hedgehog house deep in our borders but they are back cheers  carry fleas and ticks though so always make sure Max is protected x

Now you know why women have legs
 ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:51 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Now you know why women have legs
 ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: 

How rude Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Naught24 Naughty Victor Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Giggle80

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:06 pm

feelthelove wrote:

My slugs head for the rabbit hutch, when I go out last thing to put the cover over the hutch the poor bunnys feed dish is full of them  Razz Razz  They all have flying lessons over the fence into next door  Cool 
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:14 pm

harvesmom wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

My slugs head for the rabbit hutch, when I go out last thing to put the cover over the hutch the poor bunnys feed dish is full of them  Razz Razz  They all have flying lessons over the fence into next door  Cool 

Slugs + salt = frothy man

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:12 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

Nooo I can't do it Victor, I've tried the beer thing as well but that doesn't work. And I've done the WD40 thing round the legs of the hutch, the little slimy things still get in there!!
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:14 pm

harvesmom wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

Nooo I can't do it Victor, I've tried the beer thing as well but that doesn't work. And I've done the WD40 thing round the legs of the hutch, the little slimy things still get in there!!

WD40 works for me

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:16 pm

Nems wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

WD40 works for me

Really?? It seems to work for a day then they come back  Evil or Very Mad 
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 pm

harvesmom wrote:
Nems wrote:

WD40 works for me

To be fair I did use a lot of it!

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Nems wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

I'll get another few cans and give it another go. I wonder where all the slugs go to overnight though, they are never there in the morning. Do you think the rabbit eats them  Shocked 
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 pm

harvesmom wrote:
Nems wrote:

I'll get another few cans and give it another go. I wonder where all the slugs go to overnight though, they are never there in the morning. Do you think the rabbit eats them  Shocked 

euww!

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Nems wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

euww!

lol!  sorry!
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:02 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

Hell, we used to just pee on 'em, when we were kids.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by harvesmom Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:07 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

Laughing   WHY are you good l'il wimmin' folk always so intent on stuffing up the ecology around your yards and houses  ???

WD40 is the last thing you should be using ==> that's plain stoopid..
(And, just think what all of those loose hydocarbons could be doing to your neighbourhood hedgehogs, lizards and rabbits ! ).

AN inch or so of stale beer in an empty butter/margarine container remains the BEST slug and snail killer out there ~ cheap and easy, clean and green, and fun to top up !  
AND the wee little slugs go out happy..   drunken

Tried lager, even gave them some cider once but I think my slugs are tee total they ignored it and went for the rabbits food  Twisted Evil 
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by nicko Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:36 pm

My Wife tried that, put out a saucer of lager, I looked out of the window 30 mins later and the bloody cat was drinking it!!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Cool 

I suggest "spiking" the beer to add to it's attractiveness, in such cases !

Fruit juice and/or 'Energy drinks' - just a splash - work a treat..   tongue

The fruit juice attracts the cockroaches, as well !

I'll give it a go, but I now have this vision of supercharged slugs , high on my red bull racing each other round my garden  :asbluras: 

harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm

nicko wrote:My Wife tried that, put out a saucer of lager,  I looked out of the window 30 mins later and the bloody cat was drinking it!!!

An' granpa, too. Can't keep 'em outta it. Lol

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:04 pm

Original Quill wrote:
nicko wrote:My Wife tried that, put out a saucer of lager,  I looked out of the window 30 mins later and the bloody cat was drinking it!!!

An' granpa, too.  Can't keep 'em outta it. Lol

Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Giggle81 Max would definitely be in there like a shot! Was the cat tiddly Nicko????  Saved from a prickly end: Adorable pictures of baby hedgehogs abandoned when their mothers got lost searching for scarce water in the summer heat Drunk12

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:03 pm

My Jack RussellXBeagle tried to eat a hedgehog that got into "her" garden a few weeks ago.

I learned two lessons from that little episode; one was to staple chicken wire right round the gate and fence posts surrounding her territory and the other was to rue the day I decided to become a journalist and not a vet! Jeez, the fees those buggers charge....
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:29 pm

lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 pm

I don't know about beer-swilling oiled up slugs....but I tried to pick up a hedgehog once when I was erm....pissed....thought it was my handbag for some odd reason and anyway, I hurt my hand like you wouldn't believe!!!
Bruised for days it was and no sympathy from anyone once they knew I thought a hedgehog was my handbag.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:56 pm

Did you seriously expect sympathy??????

I mean.....hedgehog.....handbag
handbag....hedgehog.....how difficult can it be??????

whats the difference between hedgehogs and the houses of parliament

one has the pricks on the outside.........

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:06 am

victorisnotamused wrote:Did you seriously expect sympathy??????

I mean.....hedgehog.....handbag
handbag....hedgehog.....how difficult can it be??????

whats the difference between hedgehogs and the houses of parliament

one has the pricks on the outside.........

Look vic, it was dark, I was pished, I out my bag down and picked up a hedgehog! It was fucking big too!!!

I also thought a piece of round bubblegum stuck to the pavement was a coin I dropped once, in the dark and pished.
My boyfriend at the time thought I was nuts as I tried to pick it up.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down