NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murdered For seeking help after car accident

+4
Lone Wolf
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
veya_victaous
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Murdered For seeking help after car accident - Page 2 Empty Murdered For seeking help after car accident

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:10 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.news.com.au/world/theodore-wafer-on-trial-for-the-shooting-murder-of-19yearold-renisha-mcbride/story-fndir2ev-1227014008732

AMERICA’s race relations are being strained — again — by the Detroit trial of a 55-year-old white man accused of the murder of a 19-year-old black woman.

Theodore Wafer says he shot Renisha McBride in self-defence early in the morning of November 2 last year when he heard noises outside his suburban Detroit home.

He has been charged with second-degree murder and could be sentenced to up to life in prison with the chance for parole, if he’s convicted.

On Monday, Wafer told the court that he was afraid when an unknown woman showed up on his porch before dawn, but that he refused to be a victim in his own home.

“I wasn’t going to cower in my house,” Wafer told the jury.

McBride was drunk but unarmed at the time, and was apparently seeking assistance after being involved in a car accident.

Prosecutors argue that Wafer could have stayed safely behind his locked doors and called police instead of confronting McBride, whom he didn’t know.

Wafer told jurors how he followed loud bangs from his front door to his side door and back to the front again before fetching his 12-gauge shotgun.

He said he opened the front door slightly and saw that the outer, screen door was damaged. He then opened the inner door further and “this person came out from the side of my house so fast. I raised the gun and shot,” he told jurors after taking the stand on the seventh day of testimony.

Wafer also said he thought there could have been more than one person outside his home

He pulled the trigger “to defend myself. It was them or me.”

When police arrived, McBride lay in a pool of blood just off the porch.

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, civil rights activists questioned whether race may have been a factor.

Wafer is white and McBride was black, and some likened the killing to that of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.

Race has not been mentioned as a factor by prosecutors or defence attorneys during court hearings that preceded the trial.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Murdered For seeking help after car accident - Page 2 Empty Re: Murdered For seeking help after car accident

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

There's nothing about that in the article.

I think it's quite possible that race is not a factor, and that the bloke didn't shoot out of malice. However, there are too many incidents of this kind - shoot first and ask questions later. The trial is ongoing and I haven't read all the evidence, but my first impression is that he should be convicted of something at least just for being too trigger happy.

Accident?  He has admitted that he shot the victim with intent to kill, and not out of an accident.  That's premeditated murder.

No, not an accident. He may well have genuinely felt threatened if she was making a noise or mucking about, but I'm tired of these stupid men (and women) just shooting someone at the drop of a hat.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Murdered For seeking help after car accident - Page 2 Empty Re: Murdered For seeking help after car accident

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Accident?  He has admitted that he shot the victim with intent to kill, and not out of an accident.  That's premeditated murder.

No, not an accident. He may well have genuinely felt threatened if she was making a noise or mucking about, but I'm tired of these stupid men (and women) just shooting someone at the drop of a hat.

How can you feel threatened enough to shoot someone dead if they are 'mucking around'?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:58 am

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/08/07/3468759/homeowner-who-shot-dead-a-girl-on-his-porch-found-guilty-of-murder/

The Detroit-area homeowner who shot in the head 19-year-old Renisha McBride was found guilty of murder Thursday afternoon. The jury found him guilty on all three charges — second-degree murder, manslaughter, and felony firearm — on its second day of deliberations.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:39 am

I think that's a fair verdict.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 am

Going back to the OP, the guy was trigger-happy and too stupid to have a gun.
He should be convicted of manslaughter at the very least.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:47 am

eddie wrote:Going back to the OP, the guy was trigger-happy and too stupid to have a gun.

That's what I thought too on the grounds that he might have felt threatened, but he has been convicted of murder, and I think that's fair.

I feel the same about Oscar Pistorius. Even if he's telling the truth, what kind of idiot just fires a gun through a bathroom door?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:50 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Going back to the OP, the guy was trigger-happy and too stupid to have a gun.

That's what I thought too on the grounds that he might have felt threatened, but he has been convicted of murder, and I think that's fair.

I feel the same about Oscar Pistorius. Even if he's telling the truth, what kind of idiot just fires a gun through a bathroom door?

Morning Raggs, I totally agree.
I think though, that Pistorius knew exactly what he was doing. I think it was cold-blooded murder.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

If he felt threated he should have called 911. The trouble is shoot first ask later is becoming the norm.
Also agree Pistorius is as guilty as sin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Nems wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

If he felt threated he should have called 911. The trouble is shoot first ask later is becoming the norm.

Yes, this shooting first business is getting out of hand. These stand your ground laws don't help really.

Re Pistorius, I don't know if he meant to kill his girlfriend or not, but I find it completely absurd that he would just shoot a burglar through a locked door. He would have to be very reckless to do that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Nems wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes, this shooting first business is getting out of hand. These stand your ground laws don't help really.

Re Pistorius, I don't know if he meant to kill his girlfriend or not, but I find it completely absurd that he would just shoot a burglar through a locked door. He would have to be very reckless to do that.

More to the point, have you ever known a burglar lock himself in the bathroom?
Was he having a quick poo before loading his bags with silver?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:55 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

More to the point, have you ever known a burglar lock himself in the bathroom?
Was he having a quick poo before loading his bags with silver?

Exactly most burglar's poo on the carpet anyway!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:08 pm

What I'm just trying to say is that even if he had shot a burglar, he should still go down for it because he was reckless. He should have told whoever it was to come out with their hands up!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:47 pm

I don't know about this homeowner who shotgunned the poor girl come knockin' for help...Theodore Wafer?  He just seems to be an everyday, racist asshole.

But Pistorius is a special breed of killer.  He has been cooed and coddled all his life until he believes he was privileged to do what he did.  I have pity for anyone who got close to him.  There but for fortune, my friend, there but for fortune...

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:17 am

Lawyer Says Porch Shooter 'Shocked' by Verdict
DETROIT — Aug 8, 2014, 7:36 PM ET
By ED WHITE Associated Press

ABC News wrote: A suburban Detroit man convicted of murder in the fatal shooting of a young, unarmed woman on his porch is "shocked" by the verdict and deeply remorseful over her death, his attorney said Friday.

"He never intended to kill anybody," Cheryl Carpenter told The Associated Press. "When a person doesn't have intent, it doesn't seem right for him to be labeled a murderer."

Wafer, 55, was convicted of second-degree murder Thursday in the death of 19-year-old Renisha McBride. He said he was afraid for his life when he decided to open the front door and fire a shotgun through a screen door, instantly killing McBride before dawn last Nov. 2.

Wafer testified that he acted in self-defense in response to relentless pounding at his doors, but the jury didn't agree. Prosecutors believe McBride may have been confused and was looking for help when she arrived at his Dearborn Heights home. She had crashed her car hours earlier, and an autopsy found she was very drunk.

"We are shocked at the conviction," said Carpenter, who didn't speak to reporters immediately after the verdict. "We might not agree with what he did or how he did it, but he was honest with what he told us about that night."

Wafer's sentencing date was moved to Aug. 20 from Aug. 25. He faces up to life in prison.

"Even if he gets 15 years, that's essentially a life sentence for him," Carpenter said, noting Wafer's age.

Prosecutors said Wafer should have called police instead of grabbing his gun. McBride's father, Walter Simmons, called him a "cold-blooded killer" after the verdict.

"I understand the anger as a parent. I would be red-hot angry," Carpenter, a mother, said. "But I don't agree with them he's a cold-blooded killer. ... He feels horrible he took their daughter away from them."

Ever met  a crook who didn't think he was innocent?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:18 am

Not at all, OQ, and this entire case is about a white guy deciding someone was a threat based on skin color. I think if the ethnicities were reversed, we'd see a much different story playing out around this issue.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:40 am

Maybe he felt threatened because she was making a noise and banging on the door. He shouldn't have just shot her though - he should have calmed down and tried to find out what she wanted. He had a gun so if anyone did burst into the house he had some protection.

I don't buy into this thing about her race though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:44 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Maybe he felt threatened because she was making a noise and banging on the door. He shouldn't have just shot her though - he should have calmed down and tried to find out what she wanted. He had a gun so if anyone did burst into the house he had some protection.

I agree, although I suspect in his case, her race played a factor. I don't think he'd have shot a white woman seeking help, even if she did act in ways he might have interpreted as suspicious or threatening.

We have a lot of media reinforcement here of the idea that black people are inherently more threatening ... goes back a long time.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:47 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Maybe he felt threatened because she was making a noise and banging on the door. He shouldn't have just shot her though - he should have calmed down and tried to find out what she wanted. He had a gun so if anyone did burst into the house he had some protection.

I agree, although I suspect in his case, her race played a factor. I don't think he'd have shot a white woman seeking help, even if she did act in ways he might have interpreted as suspicious or threatening.

We have a lot of media reinforcement here of the idea that black people are inherently more threatening ... goes back a long time.

He might have if a white woman was banging on the door or making a noise.

I think it's too easy to just bring race into it. I think this is more to do with people being reckless and thinking they can just shoot someone for being a nuisance.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:25 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I think it's too easy to just bring race into it. I think this is more to do with people being reckless and thinking they can just shoot someone for being a nuisance.

You have to put it into its context, that of many black people being killed in the U.S. apparently for the sin of being dark-complected. And I bet, if you were to investigate this guy, he wasn't the most inclusive type. But I could be wrong.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:10 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

I'm not one to shout racism quickly but I do believe if the woman had been a little blonde slip of a thing, she'd be alive and well and sipping tea on his porch.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

It's not too easy if you live over here, Raggs.  You criticize him for being over reactive, but you never ask why.  There is an answer there.  Sure it's reckless, but why?  Why did he think he could "just shoot" this particular person for being a nuisance?  Are you not curious?

Do you think this was all one big accident...that she was black, just a coincidence?  Perhaps a gross misunderstanding?  I'm afraid we Americans are a bit more jaundiced than that...a bit more—shall we say—experienced.  Long experience.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2