NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need to de-stress! (My mums accident)

+4
Ben Reilly
Irn Bru
gerber
eddie
8 posters

Go down

Need to de-stress! (My mums accident) Empty Need to de-stress! (My mums accident)

Post by eddie Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 pm

On Tuesday morning I got a phone call from my mums mobile and when I answered it was her friend Anne who is my mums dog-walking buddy. She told me tearfully, that one of my mums dogs had come up behind her and clean took my mum off her feet accidentally, and my mum had flown backwards and landed on her back and her head.

I asked Anne was my mum ok and she told me my mum had no idea what had happened and who Anne was, and didn't even recognise her own beloved dogs.
I could hear my mum crying in the background, sobbing and asking where she was and what had happened.
Anne was very distressed.
I arranged for my mums two best friends to get to the country park and pick her two dogs up and bring them back from the country park.

I raced to the hospital which is near where my mum lives and met my brother  there and the ambulance.

Thankfully my mum recognised us but she had no idea who anyone else was - even her toe best friends who'd picked up the dogs from the park.

She was rushed to a CT scan where they told us she'd got a neat fracture about the length of her finger from the lump at the back of her head down to the base of her skull.
She had suffered a severe blow to her head.

Obviously, they have been keeping a close eye on her and she is making a slow recovery.

But she is an awful, awful patient!!!! She is obviously unwell, not eating, feeling sick, dizzy and tired but refuses to believe she can't  go home.
I've spent the past two days up the hospital and feel shattered.

I'm up the again tomorrow and she says she's going to beg the consultant - who she knows from her  days of working in the hospital - if she can go home.

I'm not sure she's ready.
Camilla Parker Bowles brother, I believe has just died from falling in exactly the same way???

She's very lucky to be in the mend.

Thanks for listening guys.

Needed to go Arrrrrghhh!!!!!  Sad
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Need to de-stress! (My mums accident) Empty Re: Need to de-stress! (My mums accident)

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:23 pm

eddie wrote:On Tuesday morning I got a phone call from my mums mobile and when I answered it was her friend Anne who is my mums dog-walking buddy. She told me tearfully, that one of my mums dogs had come up behind her and clean took my mum off her feet accidentally, and my mum had flown backwards and landed on her  back and her head.

I asked Anne was my mum ok and she told me my mum had no idea what had happened and who Anne was,  and didn't even recognise her own beloved dogs.
I could hear my mum crying in the background, sobbing and asking where she was and what had happened.
I arranged for my mums two best friends to get to the country park and pick her two dogs up and bring them back from the country park.

I raced to the hospital which is near where my mum lives and met my brother  there and the ambulance.

Thankfully my mum recognised us but she had no idea who anyone else was - even her toe best friends who'd picked up the dogs from the park.

She was rushed to a CT scan where they told us she'd got a neat fracture about the length of her finger from the lump at the back of her head down to the base of her skull.

Obviously, they have been keeping a close eye on her and she is making a slow recovery.

But she is an awful, awful patient!!!! She is obviously unwell, not eating, feeling sick, dizzy and tired but refuses to believe she can't  go home.

I'm up the again tomorrow and she says she's going to beg the consultant - who she knows from her  days of working in the hospital - if she can go home.

Camilla Parker Bowles brother, I believe has just died from falling in exactly the same way???

Wow

Just picked this up.

Hope all is OK.

If you need anything just shout............... We are all here for you your Mum and your family.

Keep us posted please, not because we are nosey but because we care.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Need to de-stress! (My mums accident) Empty Re: Need to de-stress! (My mums accident)

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Eddie , that is magnificent news cheers

But if you don't think she is ready yet, you have to speak  with the Consultant..even if that means going against her wishes as she wants home, but you have too Eds, best safe than sorry ...and she has come through all of this.

I hope she HAS to stay in until she is FULLY better Eds x

It's a bit like having to finish all of your anti biotic course!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Cheers Gerbs xx

I'm hoping there will be no nasty after effects of this.
She is a very young 68, frightfully fit, and very independant.

She's never ill and is not a good patient.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Hey JD I agree with you, but she says she can only gets better and eat etc if she goes home.

She's going to slip into a depression tbh.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 pm

eddie wrote:Hey JD I agree with you, but she says she can only gets better and eat etc if she goes home.

A terrible downside to be homesick and hating hospitals...of course it would benefit her mental health by perking her right back up, but then the worry is there if she has another fall or accident...if that was avoided, I'm a,so sure she would heal even more quicker with being mobile.

So may pros and cons Eds.

Last edited by Joy Division on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:31 pm

eddie wrote:Cheers Gerbs xx

The clever and independant and nice ones never are.......... Good for your Mum.

Keep us up to speed......

We is here.

And what better way to vent stress, anger, worry............

Perfect scenario

We can all kick ass if needed btw in the hospital and we will if you need us to.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Joy Division wrote:
eddie wrote:Hey JD I agree with you, but she says she can only gets better and eat etc if she goes home.

A terrible downside to be homesick and hating hospitals...of course it would benefit her mental health by perking her right back up, but then the worry is there if she has another fall or accident...if that was avoided, I'm a,so sure she would heal even more quicker with being mobile.

So may pros and cons Eds.

I know. And she's getting cross with my brother and I for agreeing with the docs.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:34 pm

So close to home it is unreal. One of my oldest friends and God she is so ancient  cheers  has gone through the same.

Edds

Hugs, kisses and prayers............. Shout if you need help, support anything.

xx
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 pm

gerber wrote:
eddie wrote:Cheers Gerbs xx

The clever and independant and nice ones never are.......... Good for your Mum.

Keep us up to speed......

We is here.

And what better way to vent stress, anger, worry............

Perfect scenario

We can all kick ass if needed btw in the hospital and we will if you need us to.  

Thank you Gerbs. I think most are scared of your whip  Shocked 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Best wishes to your Mum and a speedy recovery eddie.

Mum's are special.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 pm

eddie wrote:On Tuesday morning I got a phone call from my mums mobile and when I answered it was her friend Anne who is my mums dog-walking buddy. She told me tearfully, that one of my mums dogs had come up behind her and clean took my mum off her feet accidentally, and my mum had flown backwards and landed on her  back and her head.

I asked Anne was my mum ok and she told me my mum had no idea what had happened and who Anne was,  and didn't even recognise her own beloved dogs.

so sorry to hear this edds glad your mum is recovering love and hugs your way xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:40 pm

So glad to hear she's doing better, eds! I remember how my dad got in a long hospital stay -- I still remember his exact words: "I'm about to scream my head off and jump out the window." This from a man whose muscles had atrophied so bad he could barely stand up anymore ... yes, hospitals do suck. Hope she comes home soon.

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Sorry to hear about the accident - glad it looks like your mum should be OK. Her desire to leave hospital and go home may be part of the injury. I ended up first responder to a lady who had fallen and hurt her head once and she was really insistent she wanted to go and get her car and drive home - keeping her calm and waiting for the ambulance was a real challenge.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Thank you everyone xxx

Yes Ben my mum has already uttered the words "I should've died when I hit my head"

I told her calmly, that it had only been 48 hours since she hit her head! She's only been in since Tuesday!
Anyone would think she's on her sixth week or something!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 pm

O blimey Edds I'm really sorry to hear this, glad she is on the mend though x You know where I am if you need anything
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 pm

harvesmom wrote:O blimey Edds  I'm really sorry to hear this, glad she is on the mend though x You know where I am if you need anything

Thanks harves was going to text you but never seems a moment to do it.

Hope you're not hanging around waiting for her to lose her memory again so you can steal the light shade?  Suspect 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 pm

eddie wrote:
harvesmom wrote:O blimey Edds  I'm really sorry to hear this, glad she is on the mend though x You know where I am if you need anything

Hope you're not hanging around waiting for her to lose her memory again so you can steal the light shade?   Suspect 

Do you think she'll notice if I swap it  Cool 

No actually, I was smiling after I posted that thinking, well she won't ask me to babysit since last time I was with your Daughter I wanted to put her in the wind machine in the bowling alley Shocked 
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:10 am

Hi Eddy, only just read this. You must have been terrified. What an awful to happen. Very best wishes to your Mum (who is the same age as me) and I hope that everything keeps on getting better xxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:56 am

Hugs darlink.....and a shed load if whiskey when you can. You know where I am xxxxx
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:47 am

Hope mum has a good recovery, eds. A fall is never good with an elder. A fracture is typical...bones weak and brittle.

Time to look around mum's living quarters to spot potential falls. Tall bed? Step ladder? Ungainly chair? Stairs? Loose carpet? My wife had an aunt who fell out of her old-time, tall bed, sleepy, and fractured a hip...dead within six months. Believe me, it's worth it to look around.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:28 am

harvesmom wrote:
eddie wrote:

Hope you're not hanging around waiting for her to lose her memory again so you can steal the light shade?   Suspect 

No actually, I was smiling after I posted that thinking, well she won't ask me to babysit since last time I was with your Daughter I wanted to put her in the wind machine in the bowling alley Shocked 

Oh yes!  Shocked 
She liked you despite that though. Poor kid.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 am

Sassy wrote:Hi Eddy, only just read this.   You must have been terrified.   What an awful to happen.   Very best wishes to your Mum (who is the same age as me) and I hope that everything keeps on getting better xxxx

Thank you sass xxx
She's a pretty tough lady  Smile 

She's quite petite though so I need to get her eating x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:30 am

Cass wrote:Hugs darlink.....and a shed load if whiskey when you can. You know where I am xxxxx

Shall I go up hospital pished?? Lol thank you Cass xxx
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 am

Original Quill wrote:Hope mum has a good recovery, eds.  A fall is never good with an elder.  A fracture is typical...bones weak and brittle.

Time to look around mum's living quarters to spot potential falls.  Tall bed?  Step ladder?  Ungainly chair?  Stairs?  Loose carpet?  My wife had an aunt who fell out of her old-time, tall bed, sleepy, and fractured a hip...dead within six months.  Believe me, it's worth it to look around.

Thanks Quill, her house is pretty sound actually, freshly up-to-date etc.
She does ok for money and has good savings, so when the time comes we'll get her a stairlift x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:14 pm

My mum went home today.
Seems happier and I hope she'll finally eat after four days of nothing.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:16 pm

eddie wrote:My mum went home today.

Was just reading this. Glad your mum is ok x
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
eddie wrote:My mum went home today.

Hi SM x
Yes she's gone home but tbh she sort of bullied them into letting her lol
I'll,be keeping a close eye on her. My brother is staying tree for a couple of nights too x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:22 pm

I think thats just what she needs, her children around her x

Take good care of her xxx
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:00 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:I think thats just what she needs, her children around her x

Take good care of her xxx

Of course xxx  I love you 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:08 pm

eddie wrote:Thank you everyone xxx

Yes Ben my mum has already uttered the words "I should've died when I hit my head"

I told her calmly, that it had only been 48 hours since she hit her head! She's only been in since Tuesday!
Anyone would think she's on her sixth week or something!

The ICU messes with your mind, lights on all the time, hardly anything going on -- really not a good place to be a human being in pain at all. Glad she's come home Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 pm

eddie wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

Oh yes!  Shocked 
She liked you despite that though. Poor kid.

Hahaha she's lovely. I wouldn't have done it really  ::D::  Although they did give them little crash helmets, perfectly safe  Cool 

Glad your Mum is home Edds, she will probably come on a lot faster now she is back in her own house x
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:55 am

eddie wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Hi SM x
Yes she's gone home but tbh she sort of bullied them into letting her lol
I'll,be keeping a close eye on her. My brother is staying tree for a couple of nights too x

Great news eds but tell me....why are you making your brother stay in a tree? Did he nick yer booze? Xxxx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:17 am

Sorry to hear your Mum's news Eddie, glad she's back home safely now Need to de-stress! (My mums accident) Hug62x

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:34 am

Anyone know anyone who has had a severe head trauma like this?
How long before they stop feeling sick/dizzy?

Everything I read just sort of says "how long is a piece of string?"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:40 am

eddie wrote:Anyone know anyone who has had a severe head trauma like this?

That's terrible eddie - your poor mum.

I'd say that's spot on though about never knowing - our heads are so important and so delicate and the brain is still a mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Bloody hell Edds
Only just seen this, How is she now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Severe head trauma??  Whoa. I hadn't focused in on that, tho you did mention it..

The short term symptoms are not the worry.  It's the permanent personality change.  Any sign of  belligerence should be noted.  Keep mum away from any addictive drugs or alcohol.  How old is she?  Er, maybe you has said...I'll go back and look.

I am not the physician, but I have handled my share of head trauma cases.  Be alert to any changes.  Better yet, have the immediate caregiver keep a log on her.

Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Sorry to hear about your mum Eddie.

Good luck to her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:50 pm

Yup...the oldest junior - you know the story.....took quite a few weeks as you know....its not been a week yet but don't let it go much longer ....get a referral to a neurologist.....but honestly if by Monday if she is still feeling that way take her to A&E....I know she will fight you on it but better to be sure....I am sure psychologically she was very shaken as well and that could be playing a part.

Hugs lovey xxxx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks everyone.
I think I'll give her till Tuesday which will be exactly seven days.

She's eaten some small portions of food today, and feels slightly better. But she says her head is "fuzzy" when she gets up and walks about.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down