NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ukip's Nigel Farage WON'T Bid For Patrick Mercer's Newark Seat

3 posters

Go down

Ukip's Nigel Farage WON'T Bid For Patrick Mercer's Newark Seat Empty Ukip's Nigel Farage WON'T Bid For Patrick Mercer's Newark Seat

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:50 am

Ukip leader Nigel Farage has said he will not fight the Newark by-election sparked by disgraced former Tory minister Patrick Mercer's decision to quit over a cash-for-questions scandal.
Farage said he did not want to do anything that would distract from the party's campaign for next month's European elections.
"I don't want to do anything that deflects from the European election campaign, so I am not going to stand in this by-election," he told the BBC. "I want to focus the next three weeks on winning the European elections."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/30/nigel-farage-newark_n_5237518.html?1398839208&utm_hp_ref=uk

I know he does not know the area, but this would have been the perfect opportunity for Nigel to steal a sit into Westminster, due to his support at the moment and the fact his policies for Britain are not under the spotlight yet with concentration on the EU elections, even though this vote would be held after.
He may come to rue this choice come next year, though it will be interesting to see where this seat ends up

Back to top Go down

Ukip's Nigel Farage WON'T Bid For Patrick Mercer's Newark Seat Empty Re: Ukip's Nigel Farage WON'T Bid For Patrick Mercer's Newark Seat

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:57 am

As he's just said on Sky, he's tied up with the EU elections and travelling the UK during the next three weeks, which is his priority. Also, we've come to expect the main parties to fly someone in from London to take these by-elections; someone on personality alone, with no local knowledge of or interest in the people who live there. I find it refreshing that UKIP will put up someone with local roots to stand - Farage could have been an opportunist and acted like the big parties, but I wouldn't have respected that. I hope they still win with the local candidate they put forward.

Back to top Go down

Ukip's Nigel Farage WON'T Bid For Patrick Mercer's Newark Seat Empty Re: Ukip's Nigel Farage WON'T Bid For Patrick Mercer's Newark Seat

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:00 am

Tesstacious wrote:As he's just said on Sky, he's tied up with the EU elections and travelling the UK during the next three weeks, which is his priority.  Also, we've come to expect the main parties to fly someone in from London to take these by-elections; someone on personality alone, with no local knowledge of or interest in the people who live there.  I find it refreshing that UKIP will put up someone with local roots to stand - Farage could have been an opportunist and acted like the big parties, but I wouldn't have respected that.  I hope they still win with the local candidate they put forward.

I understand his reasons Tess, but he may have missed a golden opportunity here while his popularity is riding high, not that I want him to get in and it could also back fire if he did not win either, but many things can happen in a year of Politics and as stated the EU elections are mainly based around views on the EU, the general election will be very different. To me taking that first seat in parliament, would have been a huge political boost for the party

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:03 am

Tesstacious wrote:As he's just said on Sky, he's tied up with the EU elections and travelling the UK during the next three weeks, which is his priority.  Also, we've come to expect the main parties to fly someone in from London to take these by-elections; someone on personality alone, with no local knowledge of or interest in the people who live there.  I find it refreshing that UKIP will put up someone with local roots to stand - Farage could have been an opportunist and acted like the big parties, but I wouldn't have respected that.  I hope they still win with the local candidate they put forward.

That's the difference Tesstacious, and that's why they are loved - old fashioned politics for an old fashioned electorate - cast off your shackles and

Vote UKIP  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:10 am

As usual he was very smartly dressed and eloquent. I understand his reasons and agree totally with then but maybe the electorate not usually engaged in discussing and thinking about politics may take the line he has opted out due to the fear of loosing.

Am sure he will be hounded by the press for his stance.

He was damned if he did and will be damned because he hasn't.

Shows how the other parties fear UKIP.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:21 am

I think you've summed everything up gerber with one point - people don't usually bother thinking about politics - everybody thinks they are extreme right wing racists - i point out to everybody on here how left wing their policies are and it gets completely ignored.

Most people make up their minds when they are 16 or something - especially Labour voters who think they are the peoples' champion - the working mans hero.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:53 am

I love the way a lot of the press are focusing on one half of his reasoning - concentrating on the Euro elections - and ignoring the other half.

His primary reason clearly stated here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27216172 is that he does not have any links with that area.

I guess the other parties are hoping like hell they can drown that little tit bit if they are flying high profile candidates in because the last thing they want is people thinking about UKIP sticking with locals while they do not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 am

It would take a huge shift in voting to overturn a Tory majority of around 16,000 which they got in 2010 so that's as good a reason for him not to stand. Given the publicity he is getting over this I would think he's loving every moment of all the speculation including Cameron being relieved that he will no stand.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am

Fiona Elizabeth Ann Jones (27 February 1957 – 28 January 2007) was a Labour Party politician in the United Kingdom. She was elected as a Member of Parliament (MP) for Newark in Labour's landslide victory in the 1997 general election.

Jones was accused of fraudulently failing to declare the full amount of her election costs, and convicted of election fraud in March 1999 and had the Labour whip withdrawn. She was the first MP to be disqualified from membership of the House of Commons for that offence since it was introduced by the Corrupt and Illegal Practices Prevention Act 1883. However, the Court of Appeal overturned her conviction within weeks: the disqualification was revoked, and she resumed her place in the House of Commons. However, she lost her seat in the 2001 general election. She later lost a civil case brought against the police for malicious prosecution, and ultimately succumbed to alcoholism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiona_Jones

It had been liebour   ::D:: 

So maybe Newark could shift in the direction of UKIP.  Two MPs both fiddling

Maybe he has been in discussion with Boris and they have a Gentleman's agreement...... Both decent chaps.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:51 pm

This makes interesting reading in regards to opinion:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/30/nigel-farage-ukip-newark-patrick-mercer_n_5238348.html?1398870171&utm_hp_ref=uk

Actually Sphinx all the articles stated that he both wanted to concentrate on the EU elections and that he did not know the area well, he has missed a golden opportunity, one he will not have next year when his policies come under scrutiny and like I said people have seen the economy and know where their bread is buttered.
Like I said a year is a long time and his support is running high because of the EU, he will lose much of this come the general election, as more and more idiots will damage UKIP and again their policies will be easily ridiculed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:09 pm

sphinx wrote:I love the way a lot of the press are focusing on one half of his reasoning - concentrating on the Euro elections - and ignoring the other half.

His primary reason clearly stated here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27216172 is that he does not have any links with that area.

I guess the other parties are hoping like hell they can drown that little tit bit if they are flying high profile candidates in because the last thing they want is people thinking about UKIP sticking with locals while they do not.

Good afternoon Sphinx.

Mr.Farage is using very good tactics in many ways & I admire the way he runs circles around his opponents with such ease.

A poll today put UKIP well ahead of both Labour & Conservative to win the EU election but it doesn't really matter what happens because UKIP have caused damage already for LibLabCon.

UKIP have created a change in politics which will gradually increase as time goes by & more people become sick of LibLabCon.

And people are not taken in by the accusations that all UKIP supporters are old white people,because Lizzy Vaid,a UKIP member is half Indian I believe & she looks pretty young to me.

Also I doubt if every single UKIP supporter is true blue English & like many English/British people will be of mixed race.

These facts blow away the stupid perceptions of anti UKIPpers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Interesting you have such faith Shady but as seen UKIP supporters cannot back up their party with any credible policies and it is easy to see support for the EU elections because again as seen UKIP used fear and scare tactics using again incorrect information to whip up support.

I will be very happy as stated to see more UKIP MEP's as this will go even further to showing how incompetent they are whilst they are meant to be looking out for the interests of the British public whilst in office. UKIP are not even calm and measure in their approach and I really cannot wait until they unveil their manifesto for next year, because many are going to have a field day with it if it is anything like the 2010 one. Again UKIP are nothing more than a protest party whops view point and running of the nation hangs on one single thing, leaving the EU, where again they have no contingency.

So enjoy the moment, I remember similar when BNP were once riding high after some wins, that dream also crashed and burned and it was exactly the same talk back then about immigration, because always in a general election it is money in the pocket of people that matters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Talking of Mr Farage he was too scared to visit Swansea like he promised today due to 'security concerns'.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:06 pm

what were those "security reasons" fluffy...

had the L/W sponsored terrorists threatened to play up....

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:17 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:what were those "security reasons" fluffy...

had the L/W sponsored terrorists threatened to play up....

I'm not sure,there were a few(ok more than a few) people protesting against UKIP but they were hardly hostile.

UKIP won't get anywhere in Wales,we can see right through him. cheers 
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Electoral performance

Nigel Farage has contested several elections under the United Kingdom Independence Party banner:
Party Year Election Number of votes % of votes
UKIP 1994 European Parliament election - Itchen, Test and Avon 12,423 5.4
UKIP 1994 By-election - Eastleigh 952 1.7
UKIP 1997 General election - Salisbury 3,332 5.7
UKIP 1999 European Parliament election - South East England 144,514 9.7
UKIP 2001 General election - Bexhill and Battle 3,474 7.8
UKIP 2004 European Parliament election - South East England 431,111 19.5
UKIP 2005 General election - South Thanet 2,079 5.0
UKIP 2006 By-election - Bromley and Chislehurst 2,347 8.1
UKIP 2009 European Parliament election - South East England 440,002 18.8
UKIP 2010 General election - Buckingham 8,410 17.4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Farage

...Point being, that he has contested a number of parliamentary seats, and failed, hopelessly to win them! Laughing 

://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down