NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ

+4
Irn Bru
Stephenmarra
eddie
Raggamuffin
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ  - Page 4 Empty Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ

Post by Guest Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/philippines-penitents-nailed-wooden-crosses-3429382

These pictures show devoted Christians taking part in a brutal reenactment of the death of Jesus Christ .

Penitents were nailed to wooden crosses as part of a Good Friday ritual in San Fernando in northern Philippines.

Five-inch stainless steel nails were pierced through the skin of people taking part. Pictures showed many grimacing in agony as they hung on the crosses.

One of those taking part was Danish film maker Lasse Spang Olsen. He was nailed onto a wooden cross but later taken away by medics on a stretcher, clearly in pain.

Another involved in the event was Ruben Enaje, in his 28th year of crucifixion.

The event happens every Good Friday and is the most extreme display of religious devotion in the Philippines, a predominantly Catholic country.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/philippines-penitents-nailed-wooden-crosses-3429382#ixzz2zRYMtO94
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

::zomb:: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Christian fucks!

Back to top Go down

Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ  - Page 4 Empty Re: Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ

Post by nicko Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 am

catman/the militant prat,you do make I laugh,bye the way, how did you know I was talking about you?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ  - Page 4 Empty Re: Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 am

The story isn't offensive, it's Catman's bigotry which is offensive.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:56 am

Catman wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:
The Muslim related threads have people en masse all saying how wonderful they are no matter what atrocities they commit, and if anyone dare criticise them they're racist bigots blah blah - yet this prick can put up a thread slagging off Christians, and on a Christian holiday, calling them Christian fucks, in the same thread slagging off the female posters on here calling them sows etc, but that's okay.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - the double standards and sheer mindblowing fucking hypocrisy on this forum is just unbelievable.

And here we have Tess the dog bleating on about a news story that she finds offensive, just because it's about Christians, when this fucking sow is responsible for some of the worst racist bile ever posted on forums.

Boo Hoo!  lol!  And on a Christian holiday! It's not a fucking Christian holiday, since the majority couldn't give a flying fuck about religion, it's just another bank holiday!

The double standards of this forum?  lol!  Well at least it isn't a forum full of racist bigots, like the toilet that you have come from Tess the dog!

I rest my case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 am

Catman is totally disgusting, and nobody ever does anything about him calling women sluts.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Catman is totally disgusting, and nobody ever does anything about him calling women sluts.

Are you suggesting that women being called sluts on forums is wrong?What about ugly pig faced sluts and c**ts,that's ok isn't it?
I have heard these terms are used on forums,no one stops them either apparently.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:30 am

eddie wrote:.....or blowing yourself up.

All fanatics are crazy!

Exactly,anything fanatical is wrong and frankly unhealthy and dangerous.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 am

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

He's not sick, he's just on the make. He's really proud that he "can't work".

He is sick, and he's not proud he can't work.   He just defends himself against idiots like you.   And frankly you should be bloody ashamed of yourself.   I know Phil's situation and you wouldn't keep going for two minutes if you had it.   Bloody good Christian you're not.

Excellent post. ::cheerlead:: 

I find that some 'Christian' people are the most judgemental and seem to be somewhat bereft of the milk of human kindness and empathy.Of course there are some lovely Christian individuals but some are mere hypocrites.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Sassy wrote:

He is sick, and he's not proud he can't work.   He just defends himself against idiots like you.   And frankly you should be bloody ashamed of yourself.   I know Phil's situation and you wouldn't keep going for two minutes if you had it.   Bloody good Christian you're not.

I find that some 'Christian' people are the most judgemental and seem to be somewhat bereft of the milk of human kindness and empathy.Of course there are some lovely Christian individuals but some are mere hypocrites.

Excellent post! Really? He just "defends himself against idiots.." - So why, when I posted criticism of someone slagging off Christianity with impunity, yet no-one must criticise Islam, does he resort to giving me personal abuse? Was my post aimed personally at him or at this thread? He constantly abuses posters personally and disgustingly, mainly the women, yet you say that's acceptable and Sassy says he's just "defending himself". What a load of bollocks! And my point about the double standards on here has been proved, validated and stamped in triplicate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:48 am

Tesstacious wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

Excellent post!  Really?  He just "defends himself against idiots.." - So why, when I posted criticism of someone slagging off Christianity with impunity, yet no-one must criticise Islam, does he resort to giving me personal abuse? Was my post aimed personally at him or at this thread?  He constantly abuses posters personally and disgustingly, mainly the women, yet you say that's acceptable and Sassy says he's just "defending himself".  What a load of bollocks! And my point about the double standards on here has been proved, validated and stamped in triplicate.

No I don't think personal abuse is ok,infact I think it is repulsive and disgusting as it has happened to me in quite an extreme fashion.I was pointing that out to Ragga who seemed to be upset that women were being called 'sluts' in this thread when she seemingly condones the most vile disgusting hate speech elsewhere of a very damaging nature.

It is NEVER EVER acceptable to personally abuse people on forums,I have been subjected to it and would never inflict it on others.

I don't know Catman's history,only Raggamuffin's.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:59 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Catman is totally disgusting, and nobody ever does anything about him calling women sluts.

Are you suggesting that women being called sluts on forums is wrong?What about ugly pig faced sluts and c**ts,that's ok isn't it?
I have heard these terms are used on forums,no one stops them either apparently.

It's against the rules on this forum.

You don't exactly speak out against the filth posted on Bitchfest, do you?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Sassy wrote:

You mean "Christians" like Edna and Shell? You know, those stalkers who you hang out with?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:01 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:

Excellent post!  Really?  He just "defends himself against idiots.." - So why, when I posted criticism of someone slagging off Christianity with impunity, yet no-one must criticise Islam, does he resort to giving me personal abuse? Was my post aimed personally at him or at this thread?  He constantly abuses posters personally and disgustingly, mainly the women, yet you say that's acceptable and Sassy says he's just "defending himself".  What a load of bollocks! And my point about the double standards on here has been proved, validated and stamped in triplicate.

No I don't think personal abuse is ok,infact I think it is repulsive and disgusting as it has happened to me in quite an extreme fashion.I was pointing that out to Ragga who seemed to be upset that women were being called 'sluts' in this thread when she seemingly condones the most vile disgusting hate speech elsewhere of  a very damaging nature.

It is NEVER EVER acceptable to personally abuse people on forums,I have been subjected to it and would never inflict it on others.

You don't know my "history" at all. I've hardly spoken to you. You certainly don't know Catman if you haven't read his hate-fuelled posts either.

I just told you - calling women sluts is against the rules on this forum.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

.You have no idea do you.
I have left BF Rags.

Don't you think it should be against the rules on ANY forum to indulge in disgusting personal hate speech,don't you think that any decent human being should know instinctively when things are going too far and speak up?

After reading this thread and some of your comments I am truly speechless.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:06 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I have left BF Rags.

Don't you think it should be against the rules on ANY forum to indulge in  disgusting personal hate speech,don't you think  that any decent human being should know instinctively when things are going too far and speak up?

Speechless? If only that was true. Your whinging and whining is getting tiresome.

You left Bitchfest? You were posting on there very recently. I hope this doesn't mean you're going to transfer your fake outrage to this forum.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

No I don't think personal abuse is ok,infact I think it is repulsive and disgusting as it has happened to me in quite an extreme fashion.I was pointing that out to Ragga who seemed to be upset that women were being called 'sluts' in this thread when she seemingly condones the most vile disgusting hate speech elsewhere of  a very damaging nature.

You don't know my "history" at all. I've hardly spoken to you. You certainly don't know Catman if you haven't read his hate-fuelled posts either.

Being called a sl*t is unpleasant I agree.

It wasn't as bad as being called a revolting repulsive piece of s*it,an ugly pig faced c*nt,being told i was unable to menstruate, that I was so ugly and worthless I should kill myself,or the uploads of animals in wigs that everyone on your partners site found so amusing.

That is my definition of 'hate fuelled posts',especially since I did not know any of you,had no history with you,and never said a bad word to any of you when these disgusting posts occured.

That is not to say I condone any hate speech towards you either,it is all wrong,none of it should be tolerated.Grown adults should be able to debate on civil terms and with mutual respect.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It wasn't as bad as being called a revolting repulsive piece of s*it,an ugly pig faced c*nt,being told i was unable to menstruate, that I was so ugly and worthless I should kill myself,or the uploads of animals in wigs that everyone on your partners site found so amusing.

That is my definition of 'hate fuelled posts',especially since I did not know any of you,had no history with you,and never said a bad word to any of you when these disgusting posts occured.

That is not to say I condone any hate speech towards you either,it is all wrong,none of it should be tolerated.Grown adults should be able to debate on civil terms and with mutual respect.

Oh get lost. You posted alongside the festers and condoned their filth, and you're still doing so. You say nothing about their stalking and vile posts, so just do one.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

Another bang on post Tess. Phil is always abusive to you and I whatever and wherever we post. He is not defending himself and Sassy has a hell of a brass neck to suggest he is. He is useful to her I guess.
She defended him spouting hate speech about Paganism because Victor can look after himself. W.T.F!?
Phil doesnt get moderated, his spamming trolling and abusing is all acceptable to his minders, but woe betide anyone expressing an opinion on his ranting. As you say doubled standards time after time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

I have left BF Rags.

Don't you think it should be against the rules on ANY forum to indulge in  disgusting personal hate speech,don't you think  that any decent human being should know instinctively when things are going too far and speak up?

Speechless? If only that was true. Your whinging and whining is getting tiresome.

You left Bitchfest? You were posting on there very recently. I hope this doesn't mean you're going to transfer your fake outrage to this forum.

There is nothing fake about my outrage, please don't make inaccuarate untrue accusations.I found it highly ironic and rather comical that you were complaining about hate speech considering what you apparently condone on other platforms.

I have absolutely nothing in common with someone such as yourself and don't wish to engage with you.You seem to have an empathy chip missing.

My 'whinging and whining'. I lost half a stone through the stress of it all,I have never encountered anything like that in my life and can only hope I never do so again.

I am happy to cease this conversation here.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

Oh get lost. You posted alongside the festers and condoned their filth, and you're still doing so. You say nothing about their stalking and vile posts, so just do one.

The posts on your forum are no better and no different,this is the hypocrisy of your attitude yet I truly believe you cannot see it.

I no longer post on BF but have alot of respect for the Admin there who treated me with kindness after the abuse I received elsewhere.

I think you are a highly unpleasant individual and don't wish to engage with you Ragga.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:20 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

There is nothing fake about my outrage, please don't make inaccuarate untrue accusations.I found it highly ironic and rather comical that you were complaining about hate speech considering what you apparently condone on other platforms.

I have absolutely nothing in common with someone such as yourself and don't wish to engage with you.You seem to have an empathy chip missing.

My 'whinging and whining'. I lost half a stone through the stress of it all,I have never encountered anything like that in my life and can only hope I never do so again.

I am happy to cease this conversation here.

So don't "engage" with me then. I didn't ask you to stick your nose into all this - you chose to comment about me.

Have fun on Bitchfest with the stalkers.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:22 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

The posts on your forum are no better and no different,this is the hypocrisy of your attitude yet I truly believe you cannot see it.

I no longer post on BF but have alot of respect for the Admin there who treated me with kindness after the abuse I received elsewhere.

I think you are a highly unpleasant individual and don't wish to engage with you Ragga.

And yet you can't seem to stop harassing me, can you?

My forum is fine - you can't even read it, so I think you might have got confused. You posted on BF only yesterday - in the thread where they were stalking Stooo, and you didn't say a word about that - hypocrite.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:43 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I have left BF Rags.

She and the other RWhingers that have contributed to this thread are hypocrites of the highest order, but that's what the RW scum are like on here.
We just have to carry on regardless, and ignore their pitiful rants. Razz 
Gave me a very good laugh reading them being all wound up!

::rambo:: ::happ:: ::happ:: ::happ:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

My forum is fine - you can't even read it, so I think you might have got confused. You posted on BF only yesterday - in the thread where they were stalking Stooo, and you didn't say a word about that - hypocrite.

Oh do shut up with the Boo Hooing you stupid old bag!

::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Catman wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Put the vodka down - others paid for that, not you.  No 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Catman wrote:

Put the vodka down - others paid for that, not you.  No 

Can't touch the stuff during the day, doesn't agree with me you stupid old bat!

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Fluffy, as I told FTL, just ignore the rude and abusive posters, put it all down to their ignorance. Don't rise to the bait, if you do you'll just get more of it back.

There are some good discussions in this forum, and most of us are pleasant and respectful to each other. Have a look around and take part.
---------------------------------
As for being nailed to crosses, as a sign of faith and devotion, I believe it is so pathetic and sad that people should go to such lengths. Do you think God is looking down and smiling, pleased, that people should go to such lengths in their adoration of Him? If so then he is one evil creature.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Catman wrote:Rags, if you are so anti religion threads, why don't you ever moan on about the Muslim related ones.

Are you a bigot?
The Muslim related threads have people en masse all saying how wonderful they are no matter what atrocities they commit, and if anyone dare criticise them they're racist bigots blah blah - yet this prick can put up a thread slagging off Christians, and on a Christian holiday, calling them Christian fucks, in the same thread slagging off the female posters on here calling them sows etc, but that's okay.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - the double standards and sheer mindblowing fucking hypocrisy on this forum is just unbelievable.

I'm inclined to agree.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:20 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Hmmm. If you join a forum called "bitchfest" what exactly were you hoping for?  :\\:[: 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 pm

stardesk wrote:Fluffy, as I told FTL, just ignore the rude and abusive posters, put it all down to their ignorance. Don't rise to the bait, if you do you'll just get more of it back.

There are some good discussions in this forum, and most of us are pleasant and respectful to each other. Have a look around and take part.

As for being nailed to crosses, as a sign of faith and devotion, I believe it is so pathetic and sad that people should go to such lengths. Do you think God is looking down and smiling, pleased, that people should go to such lengths in their adoration of Him? If so then he is one evil creature.

Stardesk is right Fluffy, wise advice as always my Gorgeous East Anglian Buddy  :astwinsas: xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Stardesk is only partly right. If Fluffy doesn't want people being rude to her, she should not jump in and have at go at them. She's not new to these forums, she's been around a few of them, so she knows exactly what she's doing.

If she stays away from me, I'll have no need to reply to her.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:Aye ! of course non Christians are so much more reasonable.  Rolling Eyes 

Aye!!!!

Was about to post this myself! You beat ( no pun intended lol) me to it.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 pm

stardesk wrote:Fluffy, as I told FTL, just ignore the rude and abusive posters, put it all down to their ignorance. Don't rise to the bait, if you do you'll just get more of it back.

I believe its very sad and pathetic too!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:33 pm

It's not sad and pathetic if they get pleasure out of it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's not sad and pathetic if they get pleasure out of it.

Really? It just seems very painful!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:It's not sad and pathetic if they get pleasure out of it.

Of course it is. They want to experience what Jesus experienced.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Well it's a bit barbaric and a total waste of NHS money Raggs, tbh  confused 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well it's a bit barbaric and a total waste of NHS money Raggs, tbh  confused 

A lot of money is wasted in the NHS.

If people want to do it, why should anyone judge them for it?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:40 pm

People do lots of things to express their faith. I dont see how this is any different

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Sick! Sick! Sick! Sick! Sick! (Christian fuckers/shits)

::zomb:: ::zomb:: ::zomb:: ::zomb:: ::zomb:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 pm

People smoke, drink, do drugs all dangerous, thus we can hardly castigate people if that want to nail themselves to a cross to reenact what to them their savior went through. Yes it may seem mad, but to them it would seem the most humbling thing to do, to suffer what he suffered through crucifixtion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Dutch travel show were covering it!  Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Lovely that!  affraid affraid affraid 

Who would want to go and watch that sort of thing, some Christian loons getting nailed to a cross!

.....Must be a market for that sort of thing, a pilgrimage perhaps?

Last edited by Catman on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Catman wrote:

Don't watch it then. They're not hurting you.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Catman wrote:Lovely that!  affraid affraid affraid 

Who would want to go and watch that sort of things, some Christian loons getting nailed to a cross!

Well you seem to be obsessed with watching it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Catman wrote:

Well, you would probably go on a pilgrimage with a travel company to watch such barbarities, going by your nature.

Have you been trying google yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Who would want to go and watch that sort of thing, some Christian loons getting nailed to a cross!

If someone said that about a Pride march you would squeal from arsehole to Christmas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ  - Page 4 Self10

Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ  - Page 4 Shia-m10

Pictured: Christian devotees nailed to wooden crosses in brutal reenactment of death of Jesus Christ  - Page 4 Muslim11

Why self-flagellation matters for Shias

I was disheartened to read about the trial of Syed Mustafa Zaidi, a 44-year-old man who has been found guilty of forcing two young boys to engage in self-flagellation (also known zanjeer zani), the ritualistic act of self-flagellation that has been part of Shia Muslim practice for centuries.

In 2003, I was consulted by Scotland Yard on this issue (though not on this specific case). A letter, signed by a leading Shia cleric, was issued as a general circular at the time which advised that, while engaging in rituals that may result in self-harm was a matter for individuals, there were health, child-safety and legal implications that people should be mindful of. It also clearly discouraged children being asked to take part in "any activity that could subject them to physical harm".

There are elements of the Zaidi case that will sound familiar to those who grew up in a Punjabi Shia household. There is nothing odd in the father of the household engaging in this particular practice. But I have personally never seen anybody coerced into it, although coercion can, admittedly, take many indirect forms. There is also nothing strange in seeing participants who, immersed in what appears to be a spiritual ecstasy, are made to calm down, often to prevent further injury to themselves.

It strikes me that, though Zaidi's actions crossed the boundaries of what is acceptable, the danger of this case is that the ritual of self-flagellation itself is demonised. Those adults who engage in self-flagellation with knives, chains or blades, do so with a consciousness of the ceremonial nature of the act, keenly watched by onlookers, children and adults alike, who, though they have seen it all before, continue to be mesmerised by the sheer spectacle of it – the display. This excitement is, for most, mixed with an actual sense of profound identification with the suffering of Imam Hussain, grandson of the Prophet Muhammad. Islamic history tells us that Hussain, a venerated saint in Shism, stood up to the tyrant of the day, Yazid, 14 centuries ago in order to save Islam and humanity from despotism and oppression, and to make the ultimate point about justice. During the 10-day siege, Hussain's camp suffered unimaginable trials and tribulations, which, to many Muslims, not just Shias, has no equal.

Hussain was beheaded and his body mutilated and the few among his followers who survived were humiliatingly made to march on foot to the palace of Yazid in Damascus, where they were imprisoned: many of them died. It is said that bystanders along the route, realising what had happened, began to beat themselves and weep. This event is regarded as the beginnings of the self-flagellation rituals that we see today among Shia Muslims.

Even though I grew up in a Shia household that was fairly well-versed in an understanding of Islam, I have nevertheless always been fascinated by what devotion to Hussain means for those who participate in the various rituals that occur around the annual muharram remembrance ceremonies. Hence a few years ago I embarked on a journey that led me to make Ten Days, a documentary film that tries to capture the essence of these devotional practices among Punjabi Shia Muslims in Pakistan.

The experience of making the film taught me that Hussain's tragedy will continue to resonate, not only because of what his martyrdom symbolises in the struggle of right against might (the struggle to renounce violence, despotism and tyranny through physical sacrifice), but also because, in an age where Muslim communities appear to be in a state of flux, it is this very sacrifice of Hussain that, paradoxically, provides an antithesis to extremism and violence. How? Because it gives a powerful sense of meaningful identification to those, especially among the younger generations, who see beyond the self-inflicted scars and the rituals themselves, and who in some way try and comprehend the significance of it all. The point about the apparent extreme self-violence is that extremism and violence in and of themselves are condemnable. Thus, without the essential dramatic immediacy that the practice conveys to both participant as well as audience, the rituals that comprise the passion of Hussain would be rendered meaningless.

It is possible that those few parents who encourage their children to participate in acts of self-flagellation see nothing wrong in encouraging children to understand the power of their faith through identification with the suffering figure of Hussain. Taking a decision to involve children in a ritual that might harm them, is, of course, wrong, as the Shia clerics such as Ayatollah Fadhil Milani, Maulana Zafar Abbas and others made clear. Harm to children would be against the sharia and the directives of Shia Muslim scholars in the UK. We must not allow our actions borne out of a "passion for faith" and an expression of one's own personal piety, to spill over into the lives of others, especially if we are responsible for them as parents.

But it would be unjust if the Zaidi case were to poison the wider public's view of a ritual that commemorates a death that, like the Christian concept of the crucifixion of Christ, is seen as the epitome of sacrifice for humanity, and the triumph of good over evil.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/aug/28/religion.Islam

Last edited by smelly_bandit on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Catman wrote:

Is Phil annoyed about something??  Shocked 
He's normally such a tame chappie
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Who would want to go and watch that sort of things, some Christian loons getting nailed to a cross!

Well you seem to be obsessed with watching it.

I just had a look to see if there was any footage of these space cadets, i watched it once and it made my stomach turn tbf.
Twisted Christians, dreadful that they are now trying to sell tickets to such an event. bit like going to a zoo i would suppose, but much more gruesome.  ::zomb:: ::zomb:: ::zomb:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Catman wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well, you would probably go on a pilgrimage with a travel company to watch such barbarities, going by your nature.

Have you been trying google yet?

No I wouldn't.

Why don't you flush your head down the toilet or something?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next