NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-vaccine idiocy leads to NYC measles outbreak

5 posters

Go down

Anti-vaccine idiocy leads to NYC measles outbreak Empty Anti-vaccine idiocy leads to NYC measles outbreak

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Anti-vaccine idiocy leads to NYC measles outbreak Jennymccarthy

New York City is currently grappling with a measles outbreak. Health officials have identified 16 cases of the highly contagious infectious disease, resulting in at least six hospitalizations, and are now warning unvaccinated individuals that they need to get their shots.

And New York isn’t the only place where measles — which was once so rare that it was virtually eradicated in the U.S. back in 2000 — is cropping up again. Within the past two months, health officials have also identified cases in the Boston, San Francisco, San Diego, and Dallas areas. Measles have also recently been reported in suburban areas in Connecticut and Illinois.

Just one case of measles can pose a huge public health threat, since it has the potential to be transmitted quickly. It can spread through the air when an infected individual coughs or sneezes. For instance, last month, thousands of California commuters were potentially exposed to the disease after an unvaccinated man with the measles rode public transportation.
Many of the measles outbreaks here in the U.S. originate after an unvaccinated individual has traveled abroad and contracted the disease there.

Then, when they return to this country, they can spread measles among pockets of other unvaccinated people. This isn’t an issue if most people simply get the MMR vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps, and rubella. That’s why San Francisco didn’t experience a larger outbreak after the recent public transportation scare there — the rates of MMR vaccination in that city are high.

But, thanks to ongoing anti-vaccine propaganda, that’s not necessarily the case everywhere. An increasing number of parents are choosing to forgo their kids’ MMR shot based on scientifically inaccurate claims that it can lead to autism. The actress and model Jenny McCarthy, who’s a prominent anti-vaccine activist, has a lot to do with that. By 2008, about one in four adults reported they were familiar with McCarthy’s views about vaccines, and 40 percent of them said her claims led them to question vaccine safety. This issue hasn’t died down since then; just this week, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and his wife, former reality TV star Kristin Cavallari, said they won’t vaccinate their kids over fears about autism.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/03/14/3408461/measles-outbreaks-cities-vaccination/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Anti-vaccine idiocy leads to NYC measles outbreak Empty Re: Anti-vaccine idiocy leads to NYC measles outbreak

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:39 pm

I have to agree get the kids vaccinated , i tell you what when an adult gets measles they know about it , it makes them very ill my sister in law got it and she was in bed for weeks .

Back to top Go down

Anti-vaccine idiocy leads to NYC measles outbreak Empty Re: Anti-vaccine idiocy leads to NYC measles outbreak

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:35 pm

I suggest that the govt does NOTHING...and lets "darwin" take care of the idiots....

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:23 am

victorismyhero wrote:I suggest that the govt does NOTHING...and lets "darwin" take care of the idiots....

It's not the idiots who are falling victim to this, though, it's their kids.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded fox Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:14 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:I suggest that the govt does NOTHING...and lets "darwin" take care of the idiots....

I wonder how many of these anti vaccine guys did have their vaccinations.
jaded fox
jaded fox
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:15 am

The trouble is, doctors want to stick so much shit via vaccinations into our babies that some parents are refusing everything. I can half understand it actually.

The MMR should be given as three single vaccines instead of lumped together, as that is the problem most parents face - they don't want a triple vaccine.

I think it's some Eastern European countries that aren't vaccinating. I'm sure I read that's why TB is on the rise..?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 am

eddie wrote:The trouble is, doctors want to stick so much shit via vaccinations into our babies that some parents are refusing everything. I can half understand it actually.

The MMR should be given as three single vaccines instead of lumped together, as that is the problem most parents face - they don't want a triple vaccine.

I think it's some Eastern European countries that aren't vaccinating. I'm sure I read that's why TB is on the rise..?

Yup we had a measles outbreak last year. TB is on the increase and Alder Hey are seeing kids with rickets

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:14 pm

TB is on the rise in uk alright...because of the disease ridden riff raff we are stupid enough to give a home to...
Its like giving a "poor stray dog" with rabies house room.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:17 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
eddie wrote:The trouble is, doctors want to stick so much shit via vaccinations into our babies that some parents are refusing everything. I can half understand it actually.

Yup we had a measles outbreak last year. TB is on the increase and Alder Hey are seeing kids with rickets

Rickets?? Bloody hell.
We've had a few cases of measles too, last year. It is becoming heavily populated with Eastern Europeans round here, done know if that's a coincidence or what?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Rickets is caused by Vitamin D deficiency and many children now don't play outside enough, as well as not getting enough eggs and oily fish.   Some bread and cereals have it added, but endocrinologists think that a very large number of people are Vitamin D deficient.   I was very low when they tested and I have a good diet, and it's known that low vit D doesn't help CLL, so I have it every day.

BTW Eddie, doesn't matter who comes in, there will only be a measles outbreak if children haven't had the jab, but I share your view about them not being all lumped together.

Same goes for TB, whoever comes here, people should have been vaccinated against it. My Mum had it badly when I was 8/9 and was in a sanatorium for over 2 years, it was only because of the new drugs they brought out just after she got it that she survived.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:51 am

Who needs a needle? You get measles, you get better...you are immunized.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:24 am

jaded fox wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I wonder how many of these anti vaccine guys did have their vaccinations.

I bet they all did and they're just stupid enough to think they were lucky ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 am

Original Quill wrote:Who needs a needle?  You get measles, you get better...you are immunized.  

However -- about one in 100,000 measles cases does lead to death. I wouldn't want to be that person.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Well, yea...and polio vaccines did some killing, as well.

I'm not devoted to the anti-vaccine idea. However, I was raised in an era where it happened naturally for the most part.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Polio, known medically as poliomyelitis, was one of the most feared diseases of the 20th century. Every year, polio crippled an average of 35,000 Americans (http://www.vaccines.com/polio-ipv-vaccine-information.cfm) and now it doesn't. Very natural  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Sassy wrote:Polio, known medically as poliomyelitis, was one of the most feared diseases of the 20th century. Every year, polio crippled an average of 35,000 Americans (http://www.vaccines.com/polio-ipv-vaccine-information.cfm) and now it doesn't.   Very natural  Rolling Eyes 

I know. I had poliomyelitis in 1952.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:38 pm

Yes, they should offer it as separate vaccinations IMO. I'm not surprised some parents don't want their kids to have the MMR.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Sassy wrote:Rickets is caused by Vitamin D deficiency and many children now don't play outside enough, as well as not getting enough eggs and oily fish.   Some bread and cereals have it added, but endocrinologists think that a very large number of people are Vitamin D deficient.   I was very low when they tested and I have a good diet, and it's known that low vit D doesn't help CLL, so I have it every day.

BTW Eddie, doesn't matter who comes in, there will only be a measles outbreak if children haven't had the jab, but I share your view about them not being all lumped together.

Same goes for TB, whoever comes here, people should have been vaccinated against it.   My Mum had it badly when I was 8/9 and was in a sanatorium for over 2 years, it was only because of the new drugs they brought out just after she got it that she survived.

A friend of mine had some tests and found out he was very deficient in Vitamin D.

I think the use of sunscreen might have something to do with it for some people. We've all been told that the sun is bad for our skin, but we're blocking the UV rays which are needed to synthesise Vitamin D.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Yep, it's finding the right balance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Sassy wrote:Yep, it's finding the right balance.  

I don't use sunscreen so much on my arms now, although I always use it on my face.

Those with dark skin might need more Vitamin D because the melanin will block the UV rays to some extent. Also, women who wear burkas are at risk.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes, they should offer it as separate vaccinations IMO. I'm not surprised some parents don't want their kids to have the MMR.

I hated the idea.

They're offering anti-flu jabs to two year olds now.
My daughter isn't having it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:39 pm

I have to have it every year because of my crap immune system and every year my arm comes up like a side of pork and goes bright red and I get flu symptoms, but it's better than getting the flu as that could kill me.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Sassy wrote:I have to have it every year because of my crap immune system and every year my arm comes up like a side of pork and goes bright red and I get flu symptoms, but it's better than getting the flu as that could kill me.

Yes for you that's fine and good sass.
But a two year old?
I refused it when I was pregnant. I drank freshly squeezed veg and fruit juices daily and exercised when I could. I didn't need a flu jab IMO
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Sassy wrote:I have to have it every year because of my crap immune system and every year my arm comes up like a side of pork and goes bright red and I get flu symptoms, but it's better than getting the flu as that could kill me.

same with my parents my mum had cancer in 2010 my dad has Parkinson's they both have to have it and they too get flu symptoms but not as severe , they are still plodding along , and talking about arms, my mums arm was black and blue with the last one i think there was every shade in it .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:28 pm

eddie wrote:

Yes for you that's fine and good sass.
But a two year old?
I refused it when I was pregnant. I drank freshly squeezed veg and fruit juices daily and exercised when I could. I didn't need a flu jab IMO

I agree Eds, don't think I'd give it to a two year old, it's a life saver for me though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down