NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-vaccine activists spark a state’s worst measles outbreak in decades

Go down

Anti-vaccine activists spark a state’s worst measles outbreak in decades Empty Anti-vaccine activists spark a state’s worst measles outbreak in decades

Post by Guest Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 pm

The young mother started getting advice early on from friends in the close-knit Somali immigrant community here. Don’t let your children get the vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella — it causes autism, they said.

Suaado Salah listened. And this spring, her 3-year-old boy and 18-month-old girl contracted measles in Minnesota’s largest outbreak of the highly infectious and potentially deadly disease in nearly three decades. Her daughter, who had a rash, high fever and cough, was hospitalized for four nights and needed intravenous fluids and oxygen.

“I thought: ‘I’m in America. I thought I’m in a safe place and my kids will never get sick in that disease,’ ” said Salah, 26, who has lived in Minnesota for more than a decade. Growing up in Somalia, she’d had measles as a child. A sister died of the disease at age 3.
Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

SOURCE THE WASHINGTON POST

Back to top Go down