NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewes UKIP councillor says businesses should have power to turn away women and gay people

2 posters

Go down

Lewes UKIP councillor says businesses should have power to turn away women and gay people Empty Lewes UKIP councillor says businesses should have power to turn away women and gay people

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Lewes UKIP councillor says businesses should have power to turn away women and gay people 3477_4922  ::zomb:: 

A UKIP councillor believes business owners should be allowed to refuse to serve women and gay people.

Donna Edmunds, a Lewes district councillor and MEP candidate for the South East, said business people should be allowed to refuse service to anyone they want for whatever reason they want.

Responding to a post on an internet forum Coun Edmunds said they should be allowed to refuse service, including because a customer is gay or a woman.

She had been asked to state whether she supported remarks by Henley-on-Thames UKIP councillor David Silvester who said the floods this winter had been caused by the Government’s support for gay marriage.

After saying she did not agree with her party colleague, she added: “I believe that all business owners, Christian, Muslim, gay, straight, should be allowed to withhold their services from whomever that choose whenever they choose.

“It’s their business. Why should they be forced to serve or sell to anyone?”

When asked by The Argus to clarify her statement the EU election hopeful said it would be ok for a shop owner to refuse to serve her based on no other fact than she was a woman, or if service was refused to a gay person.

She said: “I’m a libertarian so I don’t think the state should have a role on who business owners serve.

“I wouldn’t refuse to serve gay people. I’m not saying their position is a correct one. I’m saying they should be free to make that choice themselves.”

This is not the first time the Lewes councillor has garnered controversy after making statements online.

In 2011 she was forced to stand down from her role as lead councillor for communications in Lewes after labelling a constituent a “village idiot” on Twitter.

Before that she was criticised after telling a constituent to “pay your taxes to die of cancer if that’s what you want” during an online row about the NHS.

Nigel Carter, chairman of Brighton and Hove UKIP, said any action to be taken against the councillor within the party would be taken at a higher level but said her views did not represent the majority of those involved with UKIP.

James Ledward, editor of Brighton-based GScene magazine, described the views as “horrendous”.

He said: “I’m flabbergasted. There is no place for views like this is 2014.

“It is worrying because with proportional representation in the European elections someone like this could get in.

“It’s all well and good getting the government legislation through but we have to win the hearts and minds of people like this. It’s clear there is still work to do.”

The Argus

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/ukip/article/3477/lewes-ukip-councillor-says-businesses-should-have-power-to-turn-away-women-and-gay-pe

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Yet another example of the awful people these fascists attract.

Back to top Go down

Lewes UKIP councillor says businesses should have power to turn away women and gay people Empty Re: Lewes UKIP councillor says businesses should have power to turn away women and gay people

Post by veya_victaous Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 pm

@Tess
this is true RW. currently called Libertarian but is pretty much the same as Fascism  No  No  No 

the belief that Businesses should have more rights than the Person/Customer.

It is a very simplistic view of the way modern businesses work were the owner is also the server. Trying to give corporations 'personal freedoms' so they can deny freedoms to Actual people. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

I say if the corporations want the 'personal freedoms' individuals get, then corporations should pay personal tax on top of corporate tax.  Cool Cool Cool 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Lewes UKIP councillor says businesses should have power to turn away women and gay people Empty Re: Lewes UKIP councillor says businesses should have power to turn away women and gay people

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:47 pm

UKIP keep on and on saying they are not nutters and keep on and on producing nutters!

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:01 pm

What a stupid woman!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:02 pm

I agree, and anybody else they don't want.

And they already do have that power - it's called the hiring process.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Right so M&S - big respected business - gives its Muslim employees the right to refuse to serve people on the grounds of what those people are buying.

Then this woman says that freedom should be extended to all businesses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 pm

sphinx wrote:Right so M&S - big respected business - gives its Muslim employees the right to refuse to serve people on the grounds of what those people are buying.

No they don't, the woman concerned was not hired for that area but for clothes. M&S said so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Sassy wrote:
sphinx wrote:Right so M&S - big respected business - gives its Muslim employees the right to refuse to serve people on the grounds of what those people are buying.

No they don't, the woman concerned was not hired for that area but for clothes.   M&S said so.

If that is how you want to remember it going down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:16 pm

I was turned away from icici bank not so long ago - I think it's an Indian bank - went in with my wife - feck me were we made to feel unwelcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:17 pm

sphinx wrote:
Sassy wrote:

No they don't, the woman concerned was not hired for that area but for clothes.   M&S said so.

If that is how you want to remember it going down.

That's because it's the truth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Perhaps you object to Jewish people not having to work on a Saturday because of their faith Sphinx:

http://www.bod.org.uk/content/Employment.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:24 pm

Seen this in the paper ..that is what UKIP would bring to the good people of Britain, outspoken loons desperate for whatever ' headlines' they can grab....

Oh, oh oh me miss>>>hand in the air.

Silly cow of a woman.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Sassy wrote:Perhaps you object to Jewish people not having to work on a Saturday because of their faith Sphinx:

http://www.bod.org.uk/content/Employment.pdf

I don't think we need worry about the Jews - they're kept on a very tight leash by their leaders.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:25 pm

I believe all businesses should have the right to refuse sale to anyone they please, that would be equality..

wondered what she said in context, i knew the smear campaign would begin...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:26 pm

heavenly father wrote:I believe all businesses should have the right to refuse sale to anyone they please, that would be equality..

Does that include refusing to serve all bible bashers Favva?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Whatever happened to "the management reserves the right to..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Joy Division wrote:
heavenly father wrote:I believe all businesses should have the right to refuse sale to anyone they please, that would be equality..

absolutely, unlike some here i believe in equality, equal rights for all, so the right to refuse sale would be the right to refuse sale to whomever the business wishes..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:30 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Whatever happened to "the management reserves the right to..."

...can you imagine the amount of claims for discrimination Andy?..they would go ahead regardless of policy..

Then you RW would be greeting about that and the costs to the businesses which would put them out of business...

Ive never heard anything so fucking stupid as what that halfwit UKIP woman has suggested.

I don't want this country to be controlled by senseless idiots like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:31 pm

the minorities bitched and yelled, it's funny how the tail can make the dog wag..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

absolutely, unlike some here i believe in equality, equal rights for all, so the right to refuse sale would be the right to refuse sale to whomever the business wishes..

...and just on the whim that staff refuse to sell them for no obvious reason?

If every shop in the UK refused to sell you or anyone you knew food items, are you saying you would not feel discriminated against?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Joy Division wrote:

...can you imagine the amount of claims for discrimination Andy?..they would go ahead regardless of policy..

Then you RW would be greeting about that and the costs to the businesses which would put them out of business...

Ive never heard anything so fucking stupid as what that halfwit UKIP woman has suggested.

But it would take one law from Parliament saying "any business has the right to..."

In fact - when did this law change? I didn't see or hear of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Joy Division wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

...and just on the whim that staff refuse to sell them for no obvious reason?

If every shop in the UK refused to sell you or anyone you  knew food items, are you saying you would not feel discriminated against?

equality is either that or it is not, if they wish to refuse sale they should be able to...

businesses survive by selling to people, so they would not stay open long if they decided to often to refuse sale..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:36 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

But it would take one law from Parliament saying "any business has the right to..."

In fact - when did this law change?  I didn't see or hear of it.

i always thought it was law yet the gays must have moaned which is so unlike them..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:52 pm

I just typed out a response dealing with the underlying thing on discrimination - and realized it was firstly going in a different direction at a different level from the main thread and was worthy of a thread in its own right - so I went to create a new thread here.

I then decided as I was exploring rather a long way from what some people think is acceptable it was not a good idea as it would just result in lots of abuse being thrown by people who do want to even consider thinking about the possibility I suggest may be the case - so I put it in a place avoided by those who are not prepared to think about things that make them uncomfortable - its on ADO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

In fact - when did this law change?  I didn't see or hear of it.
http://www.th-eu-nit.com/index.php/video/films

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:19 pm

sphinx wrote:I just typed out a response dealing with the underlying thing on discrimination - and realized it was firstly going in a different direction at a different level  from the main thread and was worthy of a thread in its own right - so I went to create a new thread here.

I then decided as I was exploring rather a long way from what some people think is acceptable it was not a good idea as it would just result in lots of abuse being thrown by people who do want to even consider thinking about the possibility I suggest may be the case - so I put it in a place avoided by those who are not prepared to think about things that make them uncomfortable - its on ADO.

...I was almost tempted to look there Sphinx, and tbh some aspects of your forum were excellent in the past, bar the severe bias...and that would again be directed at me should I offer up either my opinion ..or plain simple logic as in rubbishing this UKIP Counsellors proposals.

I know I would be a target in a few ways again,,,especially once a certain posse of people joined. Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm

and you stay here because of the severe bias of other forums....

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Joy Division wrote:
sphinx wrote:I just typed out a response dealing with the underlying thing on discrimination - and realized it was firstly going in a different direction at a different level  from the main thread and was worthy of a thread in its own right - so I went to create a new thread here.

...I was almost tempted to look there Sphinx, and tbh some aspects of your forum were excellent in the past, bar the severe bias...and that would again be directed at me should I offer up either my opinion ..or  plain simple logic as in rubbishing this UKIP Counsellors proposals.

I know I would be a target in a few ways again,,,especially once a certain posse of people joined. Sad 

And that is exactly why I posted it there and not here JD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:12 pm

heavenly father wrote:and you stay here because of the severe bias of o

ther forums....

..many forums have bias ,some just more than others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:14 pm

sphinx wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

...I was almost tempted to look there Sphinx, and tbh some aspects of your forum were excellent in the past, bar the severe bias...and that would again be directed at me should I offer up either my opinion ..or  plain simple logic as in rubbishing this UKIP Counsellors proposals.

I have to go out later on, but will have a little Bo-peep at that then Sphinx. ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Joy Division wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I have to go out later on, but will have a little Bo-peep at that then Sphinx. ::D:: 

I would rather you didnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Joy Division wrote:
heavenly father wrote:and you stay here because of the severe bias of o

ther forums....

sphinx was not bias at all on ADO - she took no actions on my behalf.

She didn't need to - she gave me access to all PM's and the admin login so I could do it myself.

So leave her alone!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Dont encourage him

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:30 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

sphinx was not bias at all on ADO - she took no actions on my behalf.

She didn't need to - she gave me access to all PM's and the admin login so I could do it myself.

So leave her alone!

Smile Smile Smile Smile nothing would surprise me...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Can you discriminate against yourself?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down