NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans

5 posters

Go down

Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans Empty Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 am

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/03/17/3413901/south-dakota-lawmaker-says-businesses-should-be-able-to-turn-away-african-americans/

A Republican lawmaker in South Dakota believes that businesses should be able to deny services to African Americans, gay people, or anyone else who offends their religious beliefs.

Phil Jensen, who the Rapid City Journal describes as the state’s most conservative senator, argues that the government should get out of the way and allow the free market to shut down discriminatory businesses. Last session, he introduced a measure that would have allowed employers to turn away undesirable clients without any legal repercussions:

“It’s a bill that protects the constitutional right to free association, the right to free speech and private property rights,” he said.

Jensen goes so far as to say that businesses should have the right to deny service based on a customer’s race or religion – whether that’s right or wrong, he says, can be fairly addressed by the free market, not the government. “If someone was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and they were running a little bakery for instance, the majority of us would find it detestable that they refuse to serve blacks, and guess what? In a matter of weeks or so that business would shut down because no one is going to patronize them,” he said.

The measure, Senate Bill 128, ultimately died in committee, after LGBT advocates and even some Republicans characterized it as “a mean, nasty, hateful, vindictive bill.”

Multiple states have defeated similar proposals, including Mississippi, Arizona, Ohio, Indiana, Georgia Kansas, Maine, Tennessee, and Idaho. Missouri is the only state that is still considering a similar measure.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans Empty Re: Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:13 am

These assholes either think you should be the king or queen over your business, or they're just bigots. Glad to see it died in committee.

His whole point about bigoted business owners not succeeding? They did all throughout the segregated South U.S. until the federal government stepped in. Government and laws often serve as the conscience of a nation, and sometimes it has to lead before the majority will change its mind on an issue like racism or homophobia.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans Empty Re: Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:46 am

Oh my.. In my business I refuse to work on unruly animals, animals that are humanized, and some that are outright dangerous. Does this make me the " king of my business?" Should I be forced to work on them?  Doctors still even after our savior placed obama care in play still can deny people because they don't accept a particular insurance. I wonder what would happen if a Gay went into a store owned by a Muslim?? Oh course stories like these get swept under the rug http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/03/02/muslim-barber-refuses-cut-hair-lesbian-whose-rights-trump-whose/
and rarely make the news and hardly ever are posted here No

I don't recall seeing anything on this posted here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/29/antonio-darden-susana-martinez-hairdresser-new-mexico_n_1310219.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:59 am

Hotwired wrote:Oh my.. In my business I refuse to work on unruly animals, animals that are humanized, and some that are outright dangerous. Does this make me the " king of my business?" Should I be forced to work on them?  Doctors still even after our savior placed obama care in play still can deny people because they don't accept a particular insurance. I wonder what would happen if a Gay went into a store owned by a Muslim?? Oh course stories like these get swept under the rug http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/03/02/muslim-barber-refuses-cut-hair-lesbian-whose-rights-trump-whose/

I don't recall seeing anything on this posted here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/29/antonio-darden-susana-martinez-hairdresser-new-mexico_n_1310219.html

The reasonable rules of "no shirt, no shoes, no service" are fine, we're talking about discriminating against people because of skin color or sexual preference. Are you unable to distinguish "unruly" from "black" or "gay"?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:17 am

Hotwired wrote:Oh my.. In my business I refuse to work on unruly animals, animals that are humanized, and some that are outright dangerous. Does this make me the " king of my business?" Should I be forced to work on them?  Doctors still even after our savior placed obama care in play still can deny people because they don't accept a particular insurance. I wonder what would happen if a Gay went into a store owned by a Muslim?? Oh course stories like these get swept under the rug http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/03/02/muslim-barber-refuses-cut-hair-lesbian-whose-rights-trump-whose/

Oh, and just because I am very tired of hearing this -- in regards to the Muslim barber who refused the lesbian woman a haircut? Fuck that homophobic, bigoted piece of shit.

Happy?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 am

Anybody should be able to turn anybody away.

And they can. I do it on a daily basis.

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:15 am

BigAndy9 wrote:Anybody should be able to turn anybody away.

And they can.  I do it on a daily basis.

if they are being disruptive yes you should but not because they are black

if you wanna lose their money thats your choice tho
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:02 pm

groomsy wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:Anybody should be able to turn anybody away.

And they can.  I do it on a daily basis.

if they are being disruptive yes you should but not because they are black

if you wanna lose their money thats your choice tho

Black?

WTF?

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:03 pm

i didnt say you did Andy but isnt turning away blacks the whole point of this topic? unless you're from south africa
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:16 pm

groomsy wrote:i didnt say you did Andy but isnt turning away blacks the whole point of this topic? unless you're from south africa

Are you saying African Americans can only be black?

Are all British people white?

Are all Africans black?

Are you mad?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:27 pm

I can kind of see the point about the free market. I'd like to think that anyone refusing to serve someone because of prejudice would lose customers generally, but unfortunately, people can't be relied on to shun a place of business for that reason, and also, they might not know about the "policy". There shouldn't really be a need for laws to tell people they can't discriminate, but sadly, it does appear to be necessary.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:35 pm

AHHH....BUT.....it doesnt work like that does it....well only one way......

certain shops, supposedly running as "general stores" seem to think its ok not to serve things that "offend" them...which is very discriminatory when the only shop open at night in your area wont sell you beer, or a pack of bacon for tomorrows breakfast.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:37 pm

victorismyhero wrote:AHHH....BUT.....it doesnt work like that does it....well only one way......

certain shops, supposedly running as "general stores" seem to think its ok not to serve things that "offend" them...which is very discriminatory when the only shop open at night in your area wont sell you beer, or a pack of bacon for tomorrows breakfast.....

Annoying maybe, but it's up to shop owners what they want to sell.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:35 am

mmmm...how....convenient......

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:54 am

i said unless you're from south africa lol but im done
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down