NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vitamin D may be recommended by UK government as preventative/treatment for Covid-19

+3
Syl
Vintage
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

Vitamin D may be recommended by UK government as preventative/treatment for Covid-19 Empty Vitamin D may be recommended by UK government as preventative/treatment for Covid-19

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Vitamin D has moved a step closer to being used as a potential way to prevent and treat coronavirus after Matt Hancock asked government health advisers to produce new guidelines on its use.

The health secretary told the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) and Public Health England to create guidelines for the use of the “sunshine” nutrient two weeks ago, before it was reported that the government was planning to give four months worth of vitamin D supplements to more than 2 million vulnerable and elderly people, following the lead of Scotland.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Nice, which sets NHS clinical guidelines, told the Guardian: “Nice and PHE received a formal request to produce recommendations on vitamin D for prevention and treatment of Covid from the secretary of state for health and social care, Matt Hancock, on October 29.”

The move comes after the government began considering giving vitamin D supplements to elderly people and those who are shielding as the UK enters winter. There is growing concern that many people may have poorer vitamin D levels than usual as a result of staying indoors for longer periods during the pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/14/covid-uk-government-requests-guidance-on-vitamin-d-use

The article goes on to say that the reason Covid seems to infect more darker-skinned people in Europe and America might be that their melanin blocks sunlight and they live in countries that don't receive as much sunlight, possibly leading to severe Vitamin D deficiencies.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Vitamin D may be recommended by UK government as preventative/treatment for Covid-19 Empty Re: Vitamin D may be recommended by UK government as preventative/treatment for Covid-19

Post by Vintage Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:35 pm

The sun in Northern countries isn't strong enough or available for long enough or at the correct angle, in winter, to give indigenous people (light skinned) the adequate amount of Vitamin D at the best of times, so if people with darker skins are having the sunlight blocked by their melanin, they are really in trouble.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Vitamin D may be recommended by UK government as preventative/treatment for Covid-19 Empty Re: Vitamin D may be recommended by UK government as preventative/treatment for Covid-19

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Vintage wrote:The sun in Northern countries isn't strong enough or available for long enough or at the correct angle, in winter, to give indigenous people (light skinned) the adequate amount of Vitamin D at the best of times, so if people with darker skins are having the sunlight blocked by their melanin, they are really in trouble.

A doctor in Texas told me I should really be on daily, high-dose Vitaman D supplements -- I haven't taken it in years, so I probably should get back in the habit!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:36 pm

Interesting....I can feel a trip to Holland and Barrett coming on.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:41 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Vitamin D has moved a step closer to being used as a potential way to prevent and treat coronavirus after Matt Hancock asked government health advisers to produce new guidelines on its use.

The health secretary told the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) and Public Health England to create guidelines for the use of the “sunshine” nutrient two weeks ago, before it was reported that the government was planning to give four months worth of vitamin D supplements to more than 2 million vulnerable and elderly people, following the lead of Scotland.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Nice, which sets NHS clinical guidelines, told the Guardian: “Nice and PHE received a formal request to produce recommendations on vitamin D for prevention and treatment of Covid from the secretary of state for health and social care, Matt Hancock, on October 29.”

The move comes after the government began considering giving vitamin D supplements to elderly people and those who are shielding as the UK enters winter. There is growing concern that many people may have poorer vitamin D levels than usual as a result of staying indoors for longer periods during the pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/14/covid-uk-government-requests-guidance-on-vitamin-d-use

The article goes on to say that the reason Covid seems to infect more darker-skinned people in Europe and America might be that their melanin blocks sunlight and they live in countries that don't receive as much sunlight, possibly leading to severe Vitamin D deficiencies.

Its the same reason doctors say go easy on the sunscreen. Use too much and you become vitamin D deficient. Which in turn leads to calcium deficiency.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 pm

My Vitamin D deficiency went away during Texas summers when I would walk my dog for half an hour, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. That's probably all the sun anybody needs, so long as enough of their skin is exposed to sunlight.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 pm

My vitamin D abundance came during 19-years in the Sonora Desert, in Arizona. If any Covid came my way, I really feel sorry for the lil buggers.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:28 pm

I ate raw mushrooms for years, by the punnet-load. I think I probably have a backlog of vitamin D in my system.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:35 pm

I forgot about how much Vitamin D is in mushrooms! I should really just make sure I'm making myself plenty of mushroom and egg sandwiches for breakfast. Ooh baby. Little hot sauce, little HP sauce -- mwah.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Dude, you’re obsessed with egg sandwiches. I should NEVER have introduced you to the Eddie-Eggie-Sarnie....
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 pm

eddie wrote:Dude, you’re obsessed with egg sandwiches. I should NEVER have introduced you to the Eddie-Eggie-Sarnie....

I think if you look back at what I used to eat for breakfast, you'll be happy you introduced them to me <3
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:30 pm

I've taken cod liver oil almost every day for nearly 30 years.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Ick...my mother used to spoon feed us cod liver oil every morning. No doubt it is good for you. Just...ick.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:03 pm

I've never had it without it being encased in a capsule... Just knock it back with a glug of tea or something and don't taste it at all...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I've never had it without it being encased in a capsule... Just knock it back with a glug of tea or something and don't taste it at all...

Yeah, that's much better.  When I was young it came in liquid form, in a brown bottle, and it was delivered with a teaspoon.  I can still remember the taste.  Evil or Very Mad

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:19 pm

Yes... I can imagine it tastes absolutely rank!

Have occasionally had a little burp a while after taking the capsule form, and that is unpleasant enough...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:24 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

Yes... I can imagine it tastes absolutely rank!

Have occasionally had a little burp a while after taking the capsule form, and that is unpleasant enough...

Eeeeew. lol!

I remember when I was a k8d my mum also gave us cod liver oil in the winter to build us up.
She also gave us something called Haliborange tablets to boost our vitamin c intake, they tasted really nice.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:20 am

Oh I remember that well, a spoonful of cod liver oil plus a very sour spoonful of orange juice, that's what I was told it was anyway.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:36 am

Our mothers looked after us very well. I had to wear a vest in the winter till I was about 14. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Didnt y'all have flintstone vitamins in the UK?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm

What are "flintstone vitamins"...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:What are "flintstone vitamins"...?

A commercial product, designed around the Flintstone characters, for children.  I think they are also 'gummy' chewables...again, aimed at children:

Vitamin D may be recommended by UK government as preventative/treatment for Covid-19 4

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:17 pm

I remember biting the head off of Fred when I was about 5.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:01 pm

Ok thanks... Never heard of them before now...

Anyway, on the subject of multivitamins, some of them actually have ingredients that are said to be best avoided... magnesium stearate for example...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down