NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The North South divide in the uK.

+5
Maddog
Vintage
Eilzel
inmyopinion
Syl
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The North South divide in the uK. - Page 2 Empty The North South divide in the uK.

Post by Syl Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Does it exist, if so is it increasing?

If anyone has been watching the Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham trying to fight for the rights of Mancunians....I think they will agree the divide is there and is being ignored by London based central government.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The North South divide in the uK. - Page 2 Empty Re: The North South divide in the uK.

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:12 am

Syl wrote:never heard of Wharton

Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania is the Business School of the University of Pennsylvania, a private Ivy League university in Philadelphia, PA.

Established in 1881 through a donation from Joseph Wharton, the Wharton School is the world's oldest collegiate school of business. An MBA from Wharton, which my nephew has, is highly coveted.

Wharton is slightly more prestigious than Harvard School of Business (which my daughter has an MBA from) for finance in today's world due to its superior reputation for the technical (quants/programming skills) elements of finance.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The North South divide in the uK. - Page 2 Empty Re: The North South divide in the uK.

Post by Vintage Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:55 am

More sophisticated - probably but that's about all I think.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:16 pm

Times change
1st pic....Salford, where I grew up in the 1960's.
2nd pic...Salford today.

The North South divide in the uK. - Page 2 0e154e10The North South divide in the uK. - Page 2 Media-11
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Vintage wrote:More sophisticated - probably but that's about all I think.

Precisely. I don't think New York or London are claiming much more.

When I lived in Manhattan I found so much that was distasteful that I used to call them feces worms. They were so thick, crawling all over one another, that they argued all the time. Hence, the New York attitude.

But also, they are fast. They can figure small things out in a...well, a New York minute. They work the markets...from the Stock Exchange to the Fulton fish market. They are quick and efficient. They have to be. That's life, not only in NYC, but in northern cities all over the US.

But I think they know they are rude and abrupt. They owe allegiance, not to the whole city, but to their neighborhoods. That's why they appear to outsiders as offensive, but to their neighbors, warm and friendly.

London has got the same thing: a plebeian accent, a quick mind and a certain abruptness that makes them appear discourteous. But as an outsider, I've seem more kindness from Londoners than many other places, and it's not fake.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Syl wrote:Times change
1st pic....Salford, where I grew up in the 1960's.
2nd pic...Salford today.

The North South divide in the uK. - Page 2 0e154e10The North South divide in the uK. - Page 2 Media-11

Both seem really nice. Reminds me of San Diego.

The North South divide in the uK. - Page 2 Sandiegoskyline_resized_1280x642

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Thanks Quill, the pic I posted was media city in Salford, exactly where the old docks used to be.
If you ever watch any modern BBC programmes chances are they were made here now.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2