NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is the news now just a way to prolifrate doom and gloom?

+5
Maddog
Victorismyhero
Ben Reilly
eddie
inmyopinion
9 posters

Go down

is the news now just a way to prolifrate doom and gloom? Empty is the news now just a way to prolifrate doom and gloom?

Post by inmyopinion Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:40 pm

we never see "good news" stories, we in Britain have had a steady diet of doom and gloom for the last four years.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

is the news now just a way to prolifrate doom and gloom? Empty Re: is the news now just a way to prolifrate doom and gloom?

Post by eddie Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:42 pm

Well the Coronavirus is a HUGE thing! What do you expect?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

is the news now just a way to prolifrate doom and gloom? Empty Re: is the news now just a way to prolifrate doom and gloom?

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 pm

Didge, aka Thorin, is really good at posting up good-news stories, you should check out some of his posts.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:46 pm

eddie wrote:Well the Coronavirus is a HUGE thing! What do you expect?

there must be something good in the world happening somewhere surely!
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:53 pm

pffft...if you posted up some happy good news...some idiot would want it pulled as a conspiracy theory intended to distract from corona virus.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:53 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
eddie wrote:Well the Coronavirus is a HUGE thing! What do you expect?

So....find it! Something nice about people coming together....

Not a gang bang video, obviously. Wink
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:57 pm

eddie wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

thank you for spoiling my first choice. Smile Embarassed Laughing
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:00 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
eddie wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

Hahahahaha great minds. Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:08 pm

eddie wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

Hahahahaha great minds. Cool

It seems that way. Smile
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:11 pm

inmyopinion wrote:we never see "good news" stories, we in Britain have had a steady diet of doom and gloom for the last four years.

Fear is a good motivator. I do see plenty of good news stories, but I think we are programmed to remember scary things more, as a means of self preservation.

I have also noticed that Brits "moan" more for lack of a better word. It's sorta part of your culture I think.

Maybe it's your shitty weather? Shocked
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:18 pm

Maddog wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:we never see "good news" stories, we in Britain have had a steady diet of doom and gloom for the last four years.

Fear is a good motivator. I do see plenty of good news stories, but I think we are programmed to remember scary things more, as a means of self preservation.

I have also noticed that Brits "moan" more for lack of a better word. It's sorta part of your culture I think.

If it wasn't for our shitty weather we would have nothing to complain about. Smile
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 pm

Maddog wrote:

Actually we don’t moan a lot. And I’m honest, if they did I’d say so.
Besides, we can’t “moan a lot” and have a “stiff upper lip” at the same time...kinda contradicts itself.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:36 pm

I'll weigh in on this from my experience as a journalist.

In the news business, we're constantly asked by some in our audience to find something good to report. We constantly find ourselves, in the midst of all the doom and gloom, wanting to find something good to report. We're only human, after all. I could tell you about the effect on my psyche I felt from reporting day in and day out about murderers, fatal traffic accidents and rapists.

But in the digital age, we can now see how many people pay attention to good news, and let me assure you, it's not enough. Not enough people click on good-news stories to justify writing them from a business standpoint, and the media is just another business, trying to make as much money as possible.

Most people don't read good news. They're far more affected by something that might threaten them or someone they love than they are by something that might make them feel good for a few minutes. That's just how people are evolutionary wired -- we spend much more mental energy on our own survival, which includes a near-constant, unconscious assessing of how much danger we're in at the moment, than we do on appreciating the beauty and goodness in the world around us.

That's why "don't worry, be happy" is such hard advice to follow Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:39 pm

And on the topic of English weather, it's been gorgeous as of late! Like it's teasing us, since we're not allowed to go out Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:41 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Besides, we can’t “moan a lot” and have a “stiff upper lip” at the same time...kinda contradicts itself.

You can pivot back and forth from moaning to having that stiff upper lip.

Maybe that's the problem. You hold it in during the stiff upper lip phase, then release it during the moaning phase. Cool

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:43 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Maybe that's the problem. You hold it in during the stiff upper lip phase, then release it during the moaning phase. Cool

Or perhaps you’re stereotyping? You ever been to England?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:45 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Or perhaps you’re stereotyping?  You ever been to England?

No. Never spoke to anyone from there either.

This whole forum thing with Brits is a new to me. Wink

Hell, I've had Brits say that moaning about shit is one of their national past times.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

This whole forum thing with Brits is a new to me.  Wink

Hell, I've had Brits say that moaning about shit is one of their national past times.  

Nah, we are actually quite chipper. Bippety boppety!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:00 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

You cant judge Brits by what you see on forums.

We do moan about the weather  a lot that's true......too wet, too cold, even too hot, but apart from the weather, Brits are generally a cheery lot.
We also have a great, dry, sometimes self deprecating sense of humour.....that doesn't always come across so much on forums.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:01 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

yeah...like bragging about shit is an American one....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:02 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

We do moan about the weather  a lot that's true......too wet, too cold, even too hot, but apart from the weather, Brits are generally a cheery lot.
We also have a great, dry, sometimes self deprecating sense of humour.....that doesn't always come across so much on forums.

That's true.

Forums attract weirdos. Shocked

Hardly a good cross section of society.

I'll modify my position to British forum users are quite often moaners.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:04 am

Victorismyhero wrote:
Maddog wrote:

yeah...like bragging about shit is an American one....

And none do it better than Texans.

Do you know why you don't ask a man if he's from Texas?

Because if he is he will tell you, and if he ain't, there's no need to embarrass him. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:08 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You're talking to Brits here constantly, what are you talking about?

But you should come over here for more than a week or two. You'd find the stiff-upper-lippy types who drink tea religiously and actually say things like "I love the Queen" (my mother-in-law Laughing ) and the types who are practically American, but with a funny accent and an affinity for curry (which you should try) and everything in between.

Some moan constantly, others don't. I will say that a lot of them seem much more forthcoming and open about themselves than we Texans typically are -- it's easier to get to know somebody in a true sense. Less superficiality and more honesty.

And they, like we Texans, are nearly always up for fun. You'd like it here. I'm quite well liked over here and you know what an antisocial bastard I am!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:12 am

It's not exactly a happy time, now, is it?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:17 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

But you should come over here for more than a week or two. You'd find the stiff-upper-lippy types who drink tea religiously and actually say things like "I love the Queen" (my mother-in-law Laughing ) and the types who are practically American, but with a funny accent and an affinity for curry (which you should try) and everything in between.

Some moan constantly, others don't. I will say that a lot of them seem much more forthcoming and open about themselves than we Texans typically are -- it's easier to get to know somebody in a true sense. Less superficiality and more honesty.

And they, like we Texans, are nearly always up for fun. You'd like it here. I'm quite well liked over here and you know what an antisocial bastard I am!

I was being sarcastic about not talking to Brits.

I cut my teeth on the Sun (SOL) forums and have been talking to Brits near daily for over a decade.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:19 am

Original Quill wrote:It's not exactly a happy time, now, is it?

It’s a time of great change. I hope we all as individuals, learn something individually, from it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:24 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I cut my teeth on the Sun (SOL) forums and have been talking to Brits near daily for over a decade.

Ah, sarcasm -- world-renowned for its ability to come across in written text Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:29 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Ah, sarcasm -- world-renowned for its ability to come across in written text Wink

That's what Wink is for.

Besides, I'm sarcastic about 94% of the time.

It's my typical operating mode.

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:47 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

That's what Wink is for.

You’d fit in well in the UK then, we love sarcasm.
You really need to check out Ricky Gervais and Russel Brand stand up. It’s right up your street.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:35 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I'll weigh in on this from my experience as a journalist.

In the news business, we're constantly asked by some in our audience to find something good to report. We constantly find ourselves, in the midst of all the doom and gloom, wanting to find something good to report. We're only human, after all. I could tell you about the effect on my psyche I felt from reporting day in and day out about murderers, fatal traffic accidents and rapists.

But in the digital age, we can now see how many people pay attention to good news, and let me assure you, it's not enough. Not enough people click on good-news stories to justify writing them from a business standpoint, and the media is just another business, trying to make as much money as possible.

Most people don't read good news. They're far more affected by something that might threaten them or someone they love than they are by something that might make them feel good for a few minutes. That's just how people are evolutionary wired -- we spend much more mental energy on our own survival, which includes a near-constant, unconscious assessing of how much danger we're in at the moment, than we do on appreciating the beauty and goodness in the world around us.

Bingo. Bad news sells.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:36 am

Cass wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I'll weigh in on this from my experience as a journalist.

Bingo. Bad news sells.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:44 am

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

That's what Wink is for.

You’d fit in well in the UK then, we love sarcasm.
You really need to check out Ricky Gervais and Russel Brand stand up. It’s right up your street.  

I like Ricky.

Russel rubbed me the wrong way a long time ago and I just don't like him. Not even sure what it is.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:13 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

lol!

Sounds like you are really starting to feel at home here... and really starting to feel like 'one of us'...

Laughing

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:18 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I think Brit humour is fabulous, I would argue we have some of the best comedies in the world, I mean look at the labour party at the moment, laugh a minute there.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:52 pm

I love Ricky, cant stand Russell.
I bet everyone who watches this will find it funny, if not, you are odd. Razz

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:53 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
Syl wrote:

I think Brit humour is fabulous, I would argue we have some of the best comedies in the world, I mean look at the labour party at the moment, laugh a minute there.

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Syl wrote:I love Ricky, cant stand Russell.

I posted this up a while back. It is brilliant. I love Doc Brown’s expressions and of course, his lyric:

“Black people aren't crazy, fat people aren't lazy
And dwarfs aren't babies
You can't just pick 'em up, they got rights
And anyway don't assume you could, they're not light”

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:01 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:I love Ricky, cant stand Russell.

I posted this up a while back. It is brilliant. I love Doc Brown’s expressions and of course, his lyric:

“Black people aren't crazy, fat people aren't lazy
And dwarfs aren't babies
You can't just pick 'em up, they got rights
And anyway don't assume you could, they're not light”

Hahaha...'I learned the hard way' and he clutches his shoulder.
Just brilliant, it makes me laugh everytime I watch it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Ben wrote:But in the digital age, we can now see how many people pay attention to good news, and let me assure you, it's not enough. Not enough people click on good-news stories to justify writing them from a business standpoint, and the media is just another business, trying to make as much money as possible.

Provokes the thought: how many elective (fiction) TV shows are about travail, and how many are about picking flowers?  The plot line that goes from 'right order' to 'some misbehavior' to 'restored order' seems to be a favorite.  People like bad news, if its made right.

Then there are those that cheer for the bad guy. Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ben wrote:But in the digital age, we can now see how many people pay attention to good news, and let me assure you, it's not enough. Not enough people click on good-news stories to justify writing them from a business standpoint, and the media is just another business, trying to make as much money as possible.

Provokes the thought: how many elective (fiction) TV shows are about travail, and how many are about picking flowers?  The plot line that goes from 'right order' to 'some misbehavior' to 'restored order' seems to be a favorite.  People like bad news, if its made right.

cough cough. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Didge, aka Thorin, is really good at posting up good-news stories, you should check out some of his posts.

Indeed and people seek and look for the doom and gloom stories, when they can easily seek the ones that are uplifting

Bad news is what plays onto the very heart of people and I guess when we are a mortal species

Being that we forget to know and learn to live life

There is plenty of good news stories and now more than ever they are needed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:05 pm

Original Quill wrote:

That is not quite correct though

People hate bad news but are driven to this through a morbid fascination, through death itself

When we see films around marvel heroes, its about relating to what we go through in fear and struggles and over coming these hurdles placed in front of us.

In the end, the good overcomes the evil in about 99% of the time in such films and there is a good reason for this

Its the feel good factor, that good, can overcome evil

Hence it has very little to do with bad or good news

Its more based on age old mythological stories around overcoming those who commit wrongs

In all the marvel films, there never is any kind of order, simple overcoming those who wish to impose an evil form of life

Which at no point is ever the end of said battles and that it is a continuation that has to be battled daily

Its a realisation of what human life really is, where we all face continuing struggles daily that we have to overcome

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:33 pm

phil wrote:Its the feel good factor, that good, can overcome evil

Isn't evil the equivalent of bad news?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Original Quill wrote:
phil wrote:Its the feel good factor, that good, can overcome evil

Well to a number of people, 9-11 was not evil based on their Islamic extremist beliefs.

So here is a question

Was the atrocities of 9-11 evil

I think so, do you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:55 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Well to a number of people, 9-11 was not evil based on their Islamic extremist beliefs.

So here is a question

I think so, do you?

I think so.  But, you've got to have bad, in order to experience good.  Of course, I mean good and bad in the abstract sense.

I was talking about plot lines, and what people are attracted to in terms of fiction.  Take Law and Order.  It always starts with some crisis (bad), and then follows the overcoming of, or solving the crime (good). I think people approach live news the same way...they see the bad as something that must be overcome, and get to feeling good again.

The bad is an integral part of overcoming a dilemma, and getting to the good.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

So here is a question

I think so, do you?

I think so.  But, you've got to have bad, in order to experience good.  Of course, I mean good and bad in the abstract sense.

I was talking about plot lines, and what people are attracted to in terms of fiction.  Take Law and Order.  It always starts with some crisis (bad), and then follows the overcoming of, or solving the crime (good).

The bad is an integral part of overcoming a dilemma, and getting to the good.

Plot lines

Come again?

The plot line is a belief system that think its acceptable to rape and enslave young girls based a religious belief system

To them this is a taste of paradise

I know how do gauge evil from good here, do you?

The bad is based on some thinking what they do is good, based on beliefs

They are brainwashed to believe what they believe to do is good, when its inherently evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 pm

The plot line of Law and Order begins with some (bad) crisis or other, then the crime is slowly unfolded and someone is caught (good).

I think that plot like runs through many, many stories, and people seem to like that.  Stripped to essentials, it runs like: evil or bad >> story unfolds >> good returns.

I think people like that line, or at least feel vindicated by it.  And I think people look for the same in live news.  They pay attention to some evil, that must be overcome and goodness restored...whether it's a tornado, a crime or a automobile accident.

You see it in the crimes that are reported here...people curse the evil guy, then seek rectitude in some pronouncement about what will happen to him in prison.  It's the same plot line: evil or bad
>> story unfolds >> good returns.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:The plot line of Law and Order begins with some (bad) crisis or other, then the crime is slowly unfolded and someone is caught (good).

I think that plot like runs through many, many stories, and people seem to like that.  Stripped to essentials, it runs like: evil or bad >> story unfolds >> good returns.

I think people like that line, or at least feel vindicated by it.  And I think people look for the same in live news.  They pay attention to some evil, that must be overcome and goodness restored...whether it's a tornado, a crime or a automobile accident.

You see it in the crimes that are reported here...people curse the evil guy, then seek rectitude in some pronouncement about what will happen to him in prison.  It's the same plot line: evil or bad
>> story unfolds >> good returns.

Sorry but that is gibberish

In the law of certain nations its acceptable to rape and enslave children, based on religious beliefs

Hence the law is irrelevant

As the law fails to save many victim of crimes as it has through history

Hence the crimes of the holocaust

Which allowed for many sane people to allow for the murders of millions of people to happen

What caused this is poor and hateful beliefs

It was law and order in Nazi Germany that created the deaths of millions

The same in the Soviet Union

The same in Communist China under Mao

The issues is one major problem, poor beliefs that end up being dogmatic

What you fail to see is that evil guys are seen as good many times in history

We have seen this with popes, the mafia, and many political leaders

Its based on what they promote in beliefs, that allow for the systematic murder of many people

The reality is, the Catholic Church, Nazism, and Communism, were a version of murder incorporation like the mafia.

We know what is good, from the well being and equity of people

Yet sadly people have allowed corrupt and hateful people to murder countless people based on hateful beliefs

Mainly as the majority sat in silence

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down