NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diabetic mother's family call police after nurses at scandal-hit hospital 'refused to help 59-year-old and left her lying in her soiled bed for three hours'

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Diabetic mother's family call police after nurses at scandal-hit hospital 'refused to help 59-year-old and left her lying in her soiled bed for three hours' - Page 3 Empty Diabetic mother's family call police after nurses at scandal-hit hospital 'refused to help 59-year-old and left her lying in her soiled bed for three hours'

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

A family called the police after nurses at a scandal hit hospital refused to help their mother as she lay in her soiled bed for three hours. After weeks of 'dreadful neglect' they say they lost their patience and called 101 the police non emergency line.

Debbie Petinou, 59, had been left to lie in her own urine and faeces on countless occasions, it is alleged, leaving her with the equivalent of third degree burns. And she was forced to remain in a chair on a ward for more than two weeks because the hospital couldn't find her the right sort of bed.

A police report is now with social workers charged with protecting vulnerable adults.

The straw that broke the camel's back came after Mrs Petinou soiled herself and was left for so long she rang one of her daughters. Speaking from her bed at the North Middlesex Hospital, the diabetic mother-of-three, who weighs 22 stone, said: 'I just got to the end of my tether. It wasn't the first time I'd been left for hours like that. It had happened many times before.

'I rang my youngest daughter and she called in and tried to talk to the staff but they kept shouting down at the phone at her and then hung up.

Last week the trust that runs the hospital in Edmonton, North London was failed by a Care Quality Commission inspection for the third time in three years and given a rating of Requires Improvement.

Earlier this year a patient bled to death after being left unattended in the A&E department for hours.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6173321/Diabetic-mothers-family-call-police-nurses-hospital-refused-help-59-year-old.html

Back to top Go down

Diabetic mother's family call police after nurses at scandal-hit hospital 'refused to help 59-year-old and left her lying in her soiled bed for three hours' - Page 3 Empty Re: Diabetic mother's family call police after nurses at scandal-hit hospital 'refused to help 59-year-old and left her lying in her soiled bed for three hours'

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Why did you ask me the question if you only wanted an answer which you approved of? You can't force people to agree with you - how many times do you need to be told that?

Approval?

So you are now against the laws on neglect?

Remeber I said if the story was true????

I read the question the first time, so there's no need to keep repeating it. My reply is still the same.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Diabetic mother's family call police after nurses at scandal-hit hospital 'refused to help 59-year-old and left her lying in her soiled bed for three hours' - Page 3 Empty Re: Diabetic mother's family call police after nurses at scandal-hit hospital 'refused to help 59-year-old and left her lying in her soiled bed for three hours'

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Approval?

So you are now against the laws on neglect?

Remeber I said if the story was true????

I read the question the first time, so there's no need to keep repeating it. My reply is still the same.

I gather you back people breaking the law with neglect

That was evident

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I gather you back people breaking the law with neglect

That was evident

You can gather what you like.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:43 am

Didge wrote:A family called the police after nurses at a scandal hit hospital refused to help their mother as she lay in her soiled bed for three hours. After weeks of 'dreadful neglect' they say they lost their patience and called 101 the police non emergency line.

Debbie Petinou, 59, had been left to lie in her own urine and faeces on countless occasions, it is alleged, leaving her with the equivalent of third degree burns. And she was forced to remain in a chair on a ward for more than two weeks because the hospital couldn't find her the right sort of bed.

A police report is now with social workers charged with protecting vulnerable adults.

The straw that broke the camel's back came after Mrs Petinou soiled herself and was left for so long she rang one of her daughters. Speaking from her bed at the North Middlesex Hospital, the diabetic mother-of-three, who weighs 22 stone, said: 'I just got to the end of my tether. It wasn't the first time I'd been left for hours like that. It had happened many times before.

'I rang my youngest daughter and she called in and tried to talk to the staff but they kept shouting down at the phone at her and then hung up.

Last week the trust that runs the hospital in Edmonton, North London was failed by a Care Quality Commission inspection for the third time in three years and given a rating of Requires Improvement.

Earlier this year a patient bled to death after being left unattended in the A&E department for hours.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6173321/Diabetic-mothers-family-call-police-nurses-hospital-refused-help-59-year-old.html

Very distressing for all concerned. I feel sorry for her.

22 stone is seriously heavy, nurses are not allowed to lift weights that could damage their backs - and this is one of the strictest rules in hospitals - cos the litigations would cripple the NHS if they wrecked their spines lifting heavy people on & off toilets.

Lets talk logistics. 
No exaggeration here - because of the strict rules to protect the nurses's backs, it would probably take 8 or more people to lift her - maybe the staff were waiting until 8 people were available together - which is a tough call.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:48 am

It's not a police matter. They should not have been involved. It's a logistics issue, not a crime. 

Unless they want to prosecute the fking tories for wrecking the NHS. Now that I'd go along with. Cool

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:55 am

Jules wrote:
Didge wrote:A family called the police after nurses at a scandal hit hospital refused to help their mother as she lay in her soiled bed for three hours. After weeks of 'dreadful neglect' they say they lost their patience and called 101 the police non emergency line.

22 stone is seriously heavy, nurses are not allowed to lift weights that could damage their backs - and this is one of the strictest rules in hospitals - cos the litigations would cripple the NHS if they wrecked their spines lifting heavy people on & off toilets.

Lets talk logistics. 
No exaggeration here - because of the strict rules to protect the nurses's backs, it would probably take 8 or more people to lift her - maybe the staff were waiting until 8 people were available together - which is a tough call.

Why would you be using nurses to lift patient when they now have porters to carry out such tasks?

It would take only 3 porters to do so

Not sure why you think it would take 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:14 am

Smile

It only takes one or two 'caregivers' to lift and move a heavy patient, if the right equipment is available.

It's basically a matter of having a big enough hoist -- and the room to maneuver in..

https://www.activemobility.com.au/patient-lifting/floor-hoists/
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Didge wrote:
Jules wrote:

Lets talk logistics. 

Why would you be using nurses to lift patient when they now have porters to carry out such tasks?

Hospitals and care homes have equipment to lift heavy or imobile patients, there is no excuse for leaving anybody lying in a soiled bed for hours.

With the drastic cuts to the NHS, the mismanaging of the funds, and the uncaring nature of some who work in hospitals and care homes I would bet that many people are suffering this kind of treatment.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Didge wrote:
Jules wrote:

Lets talk logistics. 

Lifting someone up,  to clean their mess is a very intimate job, it's not a job for porters. 

I have never seen porters involved in carrying out these very personal bodily duties on patients.

The ONLY time I ever saw porters interact with patients, is taking them on wheelchairs or trollies for xrays, scans … or sadly, to the morgue.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:02 pm

I worked in hospital environments [not care homes or nursing homes] so maybe my experiences are different.

When my own aunt was terminally ill, and weighed very little - she was just skin & bones - the nurses still called for help from several other nurses, when she needed personal care.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Hospitals and care homes have equipment to lift heavy or imobile patients, there is no excuse for  leaving anybody lying in a soiled bed for hours.

With the drastic cuts to the NHS, the mismanaging of the funds, and the uncaring nature of some who work in hospitals and care homes I would bet that many people are suffering this kind of treatment.

I agree there is no excuse and certainly do not believe it takes 8 nurses to help move and clean an overly obese person

That was a clear exaggeration

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

Hospitals and care homes have equipment to lift heavy or imobile patients, there is no excuse for  leaving anybody lying in a soiled bed for hours.

I agree there is no excuse and certainly do not believe it takes 8 nurses to help move and clean an overly obese person

The experience i have of people who have dementia and are incontinent is they wear adult pads, so sheets shouldn't be soiled.
For peopl who are bedbound and need the toilet, hospital beds can be lowered at the top so a specially designed bedpan that can be slid underneath. I have seen 2 nurses do this comfortably.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 am

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's an error on my part. She's 22stone but for some reason I thought it was double that, didn't 'process' it properly.

Here's a link. Bit off topic but it's related to heavy lifting. When firefighters help out with obese patients, it's usually around 12 personnel per job.   Seems they get called out quite often too,  to help with larger patients and they say they are getting injured too. Shocked    It's abroad, but I found it interesting. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11924904

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3