NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'I Find Myself Sneaking Off To Bed Early': How Reading Helped Me Stop Scrolling Before Bed

3 posters

Go down

'I Find Myself Sneaking Off To Bed Early': How Reading Helped Me Stop Scrolling Before Bed Empty 'I Find Myself Sneaking Off To Bed Early': How Reading Helped Me Stop Scrolling Before Bed

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 am

A book is the only thing that’ll wrestle my phone out of my hand.

In HuffPostUK’s 28-day scroll-free challenge, we’ll be trying to find a better balance with social media. Coinciding with the Royal Society For Public Health’s Scroll Free September campaign, we’ll be publishing experiences, tips and motivation. Sign up for our daily email featuring tips and motivation – you can start the challenge at any point in the month.

Every time I catch myself scrolling through my phone late at night, I think of my mum telling us to not sit so close to the TV because we’d get square eyes. Fast-forward to adulthood and now instead of square, my eyes are iPhone shaped.

For the past few years, I can’t tell you the amount of time I’ve wasted scrolling through Instagram and Twitter. When I tire of one, I switch to another, and before I know it I’ve been stuck switching between the two for nearly an hour.

I’m most susceptible when I’ve just got into bed. When I’ve removed my makeup, brushed my teeth and got my glass of water nearby. When I’m all set for an early night, and then that little blue phone screen light flicks on inches in front of my face, and so it begins.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-reading-helped-me-stop-scrolling-before-bed_uk_5b86aad0e4b0511db3d39e86?67h&utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage

Back to top Go down

'I Find Myself Sneaking Off To Bed Early': How Reading Helped Me Stop Scrolling Before Bed Empty Re: 'I Find Myself Sneaking Off To Bed Early': How Reading Helped Me Stop Scrolling Before Bed

Post by Eilzel Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:50 am

Didge wrote:A book is the only thing that’ll wrestle my phone out of my hand.

In HuffPostUK’s 28-day scroll-free challenge, we’ll be trying to find a better balance with social media. Coinciding with the Royal Society For Public Health’s Scroll Free September campaign, we’ll be publishing experiences, tips and motivation. Sign up for our daily email featuring tips and motivation – you can start the challenge at any point in the month.

Every time I catch myself scrolling through my phone late at night, I think of my mum telling us to not sit so close to the TV because we’d get square eyes. Fast-forward to adulthood and now instead of square, my eyes are iPhone shaped.

For the past few years, I can’t tell you the amount of time I’ve wasted scrolling through Instagram and Twitter. When I tire of one, I switch to another, and before I know it I’ve been stuck switching between the two for nearly an hour.

I’m most susceptible when I’ve just got into bed. When I’ve removed my makeup, brushed my teeth and got my glass of water nearby. When I’m all set for an early night, and then that little blue phone screen light flicks on inches in front of my face, and so it begins.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-reading-helped-me-stop-scrolling-before-bed_uk_5b86aad0e4b0511db3d39e86?67h&utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage

I find myself doing this, that's pretty uncanny actually. I must admit I do go through phases of scrolling and it is NOT healthy. Now I feel I probably read too much (ha! as if such a thing is possible)! I'm constantly read one or two books these days. Short stories by King and Gaiman are my thing at the moment, can't get enough, especially before bed Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

'I Find Myself Sneaking Off To Bed Early': How Reading Helped Me Stop Scrolling Before Bed Empty Re: 'I Find Myself Sneaking Off To Bed Early': How Reading Helped Me Stop Scrolling Before Bed

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:05 am

Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:A book is the only thing that’ll wrestle my phone out of my hand.

I find myself doing this, that's pretty uncanny actually. I must admit I do go through phases of scrolling and it is NOT healthy. Now I feel I probably read too much (ha! as if such a thing is possible)! I'm constantly read one or two books these days. Short stories by King and Gaiman are my thing at the moment, can't get enough, especially before bed Smile

I got rid of my I-phone ages ago and just have a basic mobile now. I do not even take it to work half the time. People know to leave me an email or message and I will get back to them when at home

I dislike the view to have people constantly text all the time

I always will read for a few hours each night

Sadly technology is now controlling people, its like an addiction

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:11 pm

I must be the only person in the UK who doesnt own and never has owned a mobile phone.

I think it's pretty pathetic when I see a good % of the population being controlled like robots by a little hand held gadget whilst ignoring the people they are with, including young kids they are meant to be parenting in the REAL world.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 pm

i use mine for calls, texts and the occasional browse but that’s it.
When I’m out with my daughter the only people I really care about being in touch with are my teenage son and Ben.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down