NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White girl who called police over napping black girl at Yale - racist or mentally ill?

+2
Raggamuffin
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

White girl who called police over napping black girl at Yale - racist or mentally ill? Empty White girl who called police over napping black girl at Yale - racist or mentally ill?

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 12, 2018 4:13 am

Yale University police officers were called to campus Monday after a white graduate student called to complain about a black grad student who had fallen asleep in the common area of their residence.

Sarah Braasch contacted police after finding the snoozing schoolmate, Lolade Siyonbola, asleep on a in the common room at Yale's Hall of Graduate Studies on the New Haven campus.

“She came in and turned the lights on. I was sleeping on the couch and she said you’re not supposed to be here, why are you sleeping here?” Siyonbola told police.

Siyonbola uploaded two Facebook live videos showing her interactions with four police officers who were attempting to verify her student status, which according to them was “protocol.”

Siyonbola offered to open her room door as proof of her residency but hesitated to present officers with her student ID.

“I’m going to think about whether I want to show that to you or not because I really don’t know if there’s a justification for you even actually being in the building.” She eventually provided them with her ID.

She spent over 15 minutes with police, who said that the process was prolonged because her name as it appeared on her ID did not match the spelling of her name in the database of student information.

The University told ABC News in a statement that students are allowed to have their preferred named on their ID cards, which can differ from the name listed on official records.

Siyonbola repeatedly told police that Braasch that suffered from mental illness and that she was known to call the police and complain.

“I think you probably need to commit her to an institution,” she said. “That’s the only use you have to be here.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/10/yale-student-who-called-police-on-black-student-napping-in-common-room-has-history-calling-cops.html

Okay, so this is from Fox News, which I usually don't trust. But if this girl has a history of calling the cops at the drop of a hat, maybe society shouldn't be so quick to label her a racist.

On the other hand, maybe society shouldn't be so quick to label non-white people who do something wrong as motivated by blackness or Hispanicness or Muslimness. Maybe all those people are mentally ill, too?

Because if you set out to do someone harm for little to no reason, you're a bit off, aren't you? Regardless of whatever group people have decided you're a member of.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

White girl who called police over napping black girl at Yale - racist or mentally ill? Empty Re: White girl who called police over napping black girl at Yale - racist or mentally ill?

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 6:20 am

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:

Siyonbola repeatedly told police that Braasch that suffered from mental illness and that she was known to call the police and complain.

“I think you probably need to commit her to an institution,” she said. “That’s the only use you have to be here.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/10/yale-student-who-called-police-on-black-student-napping-in-common-room-has-history-calling-cops.html

I have just highlighted this part, to show what an appalling thing to say

Imagine if the girl does suffer with mental health, that would certainly be mentalism by this student who has claimed racism. She has just made a mockery out of being a victim of racism, by showing a similar kind, but less well known of prejudice. with mental health.

Now to me, I do question whether the race card is being pulled here and more so over her own prejudice here to people with mental health. I have no idea if the other girl has mental health, but to say that, was wrong.

Hence was there any racism involved here and again was this simple someone contacting the police because they were concerned someone was asleep, where they should not have been?

So I agree with your points Ben in how you have looked at this

It may have been racially motivated when this girl called the cops, or she was simple doing what she thought was right, in that someone she did not know was asleep, where they should not have been. Or has Siyonbola invoked the labels black and white, to make out she is a victim here?

That is open to question and who knows

What is evident to me, is her credabilty went out the window, the moment she was prejudice with mentalism.

Maybe you should change the last part of the title to "Racism? Menatlism? Or Both?"

Back to top Go down

White girl who called police over napping black girl at Yale - racist or mentally ill? Empty Re: White girl who called police over napping black girl at Yale - racist or mentally ill?

Post by Raggamuffin Sat May 12, 2018 8:32 am

Who has actually labelled this girl as racist? Lolade Siyonbola didn't. Fox News has highlighted their relative colours but stopped short of saying that it was a racist thing to do.

In fact, why is it even in the news? It's not exactly a major incident.

Perhaps they should charge Sarah Braasch for wasting police time if she keeps doing this kind of thing. People minding their own business shouldn't have the police called on them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 9:07 am

Whichever way you look at it, one can safely say Sarah Braasch's days of grace are OVER.

Used up all the goodwill usually afforded to *vulnerable* people in society who habitually waste police's time.

Cried 'wolf' once too often.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 9:08 am

Sounds like Siyonbola deliberately made a fuss, in order to bring matters to a head - well played imo.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 12, 2018 10:04 am

This is BAD media reporting. The headline is horrifically misleading.  

I can’t even see why it matters that either girl was black or white.

The girl who was sleeping wasn’t even immediately cooperative with police either - so perhaps she had attitude herself?

The story is biased as it has no comments from the girl who called the police nor the police themselves.

And lastly Ben, I don’t know who you are talking about when you talk about someone “causing harm” - since when is calling the police causing harm? She must’ve given them valid reason to come - or else the police in America are really, really, dumb....

“Hallo police? There’s someone asleep, I dont think she should be there”

“We will there right away with no reason to be there”

Story sucks.
It’s sketchy and rubbish and is a half-story, which is why I guess, none of you Americans like Fox News....

Non-story. Click bait. Move along. Fuck all to see except what the biased profit-making media want you to click on
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 12, 2018 10:10 am

What are the rules of use ofor classrooms in Yale?

Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the classrooms.
Reservations are required for the use of any classroom.
No entrance doors to buildings may be propped open.
Classrooms may be reserved for meetings only; they are not to be used for social functions.
Neither food nor drink is permitted in classrooms without authorization.
Furniture must not be removed from any rooms and must be returned to the original configuration.
Neither colored chalk nor tape may be used on blackboards.
Lights must be turned off and windows must be closed before leaving rooms.
Water or any other cleaning solutions may not be used to clean blackboards.
Wands/cords/chains should be used to open and close drapes and shades.

https://classrooms.yale.edu/faqs

But sleeping IS allowed apparently....perhaps she had a tube of Pringles next to her sleeping body.... Razz

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 10:11 am

eddie wrote:This is BAD media reporting. The headline is horrifically misleading.

I can’t even see why it matters that either girl was black or white.

The girl who was sleeping wasn’t even immediately cooperative with police either - so perhaps she had attitude herself?

The story is biased as it has no comments from the girl who called the police nor the police themselves.

And lastly Ben, I don’t know who you are talking about when you talk about someone “causing harm” - since when is calling the police causing harm? She must’ve given them valid reason to come - or else the police in America are really, really, dumb....

“Hallo police? There’s someone asleep, I dont think she should be there”

“We will there right away with no reason to be there”

Story sucks.
It’s sketchy and rubbish and is a half-story, which is why I guess, none of you Americans like Fox News....

Non-story. Click bait. Move along. Fuck all to see except what the biased profit-making media want you to click on

Yes I agree that racism should not be an issue here cos there's no proof of it, really.

Sinyonbola was being deliberately awkward and difficult with the police in order to show up this girl's habit of calling the police too often.

If she'd been instantly cooperative with the police it would've been a total nonstory ---- she wanted a story, so made a fuss.

Just my take.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am

And you are correct, Jules, on all points.

Bad media reporting probably makes up half of the unrest and ignorance in America because I bet there are some idiots who read that headline and believed it was racist straight away....Let’s hope there was someone sensible with them to help them see it was all bollocks.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 10:25 am

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/11/us/yale-second-black-student-sarah-braasch/index.html

So I guess Ben's title, maybe spot on after all

Racism or does she suffer from a mental health issue?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 am

Didge wrote:https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/11/us/yale-second-black-student-sarah-braasch/index.html

(The story in this link is also sketchy tbh)

Perhaps she is racist, perhaps she isn’t? That was never my point, really.
My whole point is that the story in th OP is badly reported and neither story says WHAT SHE SAID TO THE POLICE IN ORDER TO GET THEM THERE.

So do the police just come for absolutely no reason?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 pm

eddie wrote:What are the rules of use ofor classrooms in Yale?

Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the classrooms.
Reservations are required for the use of any classroom.
No entrance doors to buildings may be propped open.
Classrooms may be reserved for meetings only; they are not to be used for social functions.
Neither food nor drink is permitted in classrooms without authorization.
Furniture must not be removed from any rooms and must be returned to the original configuration.
Neither colored chalk nor tape may be used on blackboards.
Lights must be turned off and windows must be closed before leaving rooms.
Water or any other cleaning solutions may not be used to clean blackboards.
Wands/cords/chains should be used to open and close drapes and shades.

https://classrooms.yale.edu/faqs

But sleeping IS allowed apparently....perhaps she had a tube of Pringles next to her sleeping body.... Razz

She wasn't in a classroom Eddie, she was in the common room of the accommodation her bedroom was in and she fell asleep while studying. In which case, the girl who complained, as she had a bedroom in the same accommodation, otherwise she would not have been there in the middle of the night, must have known the girl who was sleeping. Further, the head has said that on their ID, the students have what they like to be known as, ie a nickname etc, so the ID would not have been much use to the police. Further, she was quite right to tell the police they had no right to be there as she wasn't doing anything wrong. If the girl who called the police has done it before, I'd like to know who she did it to, because that would settle the question as to whether it was racist or not, but we are not likely to find out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 1:00 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/11/us/yale-second-black-student-sarah-braasch/index.html

(The story in this link is also sketchy tbh)

Perhaps she is racist, perhaps she isn’t?  That was never my point, really.
My whole point is that the story in th OP is badly reported and neither story says WHAT SHE SAID TO THE POLICE IN ORDER TO GET THEM THERE.

So do the police just come for absolutely no reason?

I think she may have a personality disorder Eddie, where she constantly craves attention. As it has all the hallmarks of someone, doing something so silly, they know they will garner attention out of this.

I do not see any evidence of racism and feel those who have been the victim of her actions and how one claimed she was mentally unbalanced shows there is very little evidence of racism

There could certainly be a poor racial  sterotype being played out here, of which then this woman is playing off. To me, it has all the hallmarks of her seeking attention. What the other woman said in regards to mental health though did not help and was appalling. If people have such mental health issues, they do need help, not a view to lock them away, as she suggested.

That again shows also a poor sterotype against people with mental health issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Now appears that the girl who did it had done it before, to the same person, so she knew she was a student. Yale appear to think it was racist and are taking it very seriously:

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/05/10/yale-responds-after-black-student-reported-for-napping-in-common-room/

Yale responds after black student reported for napping in common room

One day after Yale Police officers questioned a black graduate student who was reported by a white graduate student for sleeping in a Hall of Graduate Studies common room, the University sent an email to graduate and professional school students on Wednesday night describing the incident as “deeply troubling” and reaffirming Yale’s commitment to addressing incidents of “racial bias, discrimination and harassment.”

Early Tuesday morning, Yale police officers interrogated the black graduate student, Lolade Siyonbola GRD ’19, for more than 15 minutes in response to the complaint by the white graduate student, Sarah Braasch GRD ’20, about an unknown woman sleeping in the HGS common room. According to a public statement by Yale Police Chief Ronnell Higgins, Braasch told the police in her call that she did not know who Siyonbola was.

The email, sent by University Secretary and Vice President for Student Life Goff-Crews stated that Yale police “admonished the complaining student that the other student had every right to be present.”

Higgins said in his statement that the responding police officers also told Braasch that her complaint was not a police matter and that they would report the incident to Graduate School of Arts and Sciences head Lynn Cooley.

On Thursday night, University President Peter Salovey sent the Yale community an email of his own affirming “Yale’s commitment to equity and inclusion on our campus.” He wrote in the email that he met with multiple University leaders on Thursday to address the challenges Yale faces in ensuring an inclusive environment on campus.

“Universities are not utopias, and people of color experience racism on our campus as they do elsewhere in our country. This fact angers and disappoints me,” Salovey wrote. “Each of us has the power to fight against prejudice and fear. I hope you will join me in doing so.”

The incident gained significant traction on social media after Siyonbola live streamed two videos on Facebook — one of her interactions with Braasch and another of her interactions with four police officers. As of Thursday evening, a video showing her interacting with police had garnered more than 1.2 million views, 13,000 reactions, and 19,700 comments. Over 11,700 people have shared the video.

“You’re in a Yale Building and we need to make sure that you belong here,” one of the officers said to Siyonbola after first approaching her in the video showing Siyonbola’s interactions with the police.

In her email, Goff-Crews also announced that she, alongside Higgins and Cooley, will hold listening sessions with students in upcoming days and months to help avoid similar incidents in the future. She added that she will work with student leaders and administrators to act on suggestions from the Yale community to improve the University’s response to incidents of discrimination and harassment.

“We still have so much more to do,” Goff-Crews wrote in the email. “All of us in senior leadership recognize that incidents such as this one are being framed within a difficult national context.”

Goff-Crews announced early Friday morning that she, Higgins and Cooley will hold their first open session on Friday afternoon to let students “share your feelings, express your frustrations, and make suggestions.”

In the second video Siyonbola live streamed, she accused the police of harassing her.

“I deserve to be here; I paid tuition like everybody else; I am not going to justify my existence here,” Siyonbola told one of the police officers on video after she was asked to “sit tight” while they verified her student information. “I am not going to be harassed.”

Braasch, who was identified on social media by Yale students as stills and clips from Siyonbola’s videos circulated online, has not responded to multiple requests for comment. By the early hours of Thursday morning, Siyonbola’s Facebook posts had been updated to identify Braasch by name.

Siyonbola told the News that while “this is what has happened in America since day one,” she is concerned that there will be more incidents of the police being called on black students accused of being potential intruders at Yale.

The second video Siyonbola streamed on Facebook shows her voluntarily unlocking her dormitory door in HGS to prove to the Yale police officers present that she resided in the building. After this, the police officers asked Siyonbola what she was doing in the common room, how she spells her name, and to provide her student ID for verification, according to the video.

A YPD supervisor told Siyonbola in the video that the verification of her student ID and living status at HGS was “protocol.”

In his statement, Higgins said police interviewed Braasch for over 11 minutes beginning at around 1:45 a.m., while two other officers interviewed Siyonbola for “about 15 minutes.” He said the officer who interviewed Braasch started to think that Siyonbola was likely a student after finding a computer, books, notebooks, blanket and pillow where she was stationed in the HGS common room.

According to the police officers in the video, Siyonbola’s name was not spelled correctly in a database of student information used by the YPD, leading to confusion about her status as a student. Higgins said that Siyonbola’s official name on her ID differed from the preferred name she had listed in the YPD database. As a result, the ID assessment took roughly 15 minutes, which is “longer than usual,” Higgins said.

After speaking with Braasch about her actions for seven minutes, he added, the officers left HGS at about 2:34 a.m.

Cooley sent an email to all PhD and masters students in the Graduate School on Tuesday evening emphasizing the importance of inclusivity and inviting students to share their comments and concerns in light of the incident.

“Incidents like that of last night remind us of the continued work needed to make Yale a truly inclusive place,” Cooley wrote. “I am committed to redoubling our efforts to build a supportive community in which all graduate students are empowered in their intellectual pursuits and professional goals within a welcoming environment. An essential part of that effort must be a commitment to mutual respect and an open dialog.”

According to Siyonbola and Jean-Louis Reneson GRD ’19, another black graduate student, this is not the first time Braasch has called the police to HGS.

In March, Reneson and Siyonbola submitted a complaint about a separate incident to Associate head for Graduate Student Development and Diversity Michelle Nearon. According to a copy of the complaint Reneson provided to the News, the incident began when Siyonbola invited several colleagues, including Reneson, to a meeting in the HGS common room on February 24. Reneson, lost in HGS, was physically blocked by Braasch from entering the common room after he asked her for directions, the complaint read.

Reneson told the News that Braasch did not appear to believe that he was a Yale student trying to enter the HGS common room for a meeting, and instead accused him of being an intruder.

“Feeling ignored, I went down to the base of the twelfth floor and eleventh floor and turned my back, but she continued to verbally assault me from the twelfth floor claiming that I ‘didn’t belong here’ and I was making her ‘uncomfortable,’” Reneson said.

Reneson said that Braasch then left the area, and Siyonbola subsequently showed up to begin the meeting. But, according to the complaint, four police officers then showed up in HGS to inspect a “suspicious character” on the twelfth floor. According to the complaint, shortly after establishing that Reneson was a Yale student invited by Siyonbola for a meeting in HGS, the police left.

In an email to Reneson sent on Wednesday, following the most recent incident involving Siyonbola, Cooley confirmed that the same student called the police on both occasions.

“[Cooley] just finally sent me an email to discuss it,” Reneson said. “It’s her job to know these things, but now it’s damage control.”

The complaint submitted by Reneson and Siyonbola stated that calling the police on Reneson and other “acts of micro-aggression and psychological violence” at the University leave many black graduate and professional students feeling unsafe.

Siyonbola told the News that she found Cooley’s response to the latest police incident in HGS inadequate.

“The response from head Cooley has been terrible. I don’t remember receiving any sort of apology or anything from her the first time, and this time the email that she sent was very vague, just not decisive, it just wasn’t direct with what the actual issues are,” Siyonbola said. “Do you want black students at Yale or do you not want black students at Yale? If you do, then be very clear about taking decisive action so incidents do not continue to happen. We don’t want to wait for a fatality, we don’t want to wait for what happened at Harvard before actual action is taken on this.”

The Harvard incident Siyonbola was referring to took place on April 13, when a black Harvard undergraduate standing naked in a street was tackled and punched by police officers during an arrest. On April 30, Harvard announced that it would review the events which led to the student’s arrest. Harvard University President Drew Faust wrote in an email to the Harvard community that “it is clear, in light of the recent incident and the ensuing conversations, that there is work for us to do.”

Cooley told the News that she monitored the first incident involving Reneson closely, and that she is “completely sympathetic to the feelings of Ms. Siyonbola and Mr. Reneson.” She added that, although Yale has appointed and trained head designees to work with students on discrimination and harassment complaints, the University needs to do more to provide a supportive and inclusive learning community for students.

Yale announced new resources to address discrimination and harassment concerns in October 2017, which included head’s designees in the graduate and professional schools “to whom students may express their concerns about any form of discrimination and harassment,” and an updated version of the Bulldog Mobile (LiveSafe) app that allows users to anonymously report issues of harassment and discrimination to various University officers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 1:23 pm

This is a very interesting article, which expands on her views

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sarah-braasch-called-racism-silly-resurfaced-post-article-1.3984355

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Sassy ignoring the new rule on posting articles?????

When i already posted a similar article???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Jeez, is the Dodgy one still following me about like a slobbering puppy.

Get the message dickhead, I never read your posts.

This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. See the message.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 pm

sassy wrote:Jeez, is the Dodgy one still following me about like a slobbering puppy.

This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. See the message.

You clearly must do by replying

Thanks, that you think I am a puppy and thus cute   Laughing

There is a new rule on articles being posted

So why are you ignoring that rule

Seems to me you are sticking two fingers up over this new rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 12, 2018 1:42 pm

You probably would have to be American to truly understand what the racial tension is like here.

It's not like tolerance doesn't exist over here - I work in a diverse office and we have no problem - but it sometimes takes just one person or incident like this to set off a shit storm.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 1:43 pm

sassy wrote:Now appears that the girl who did it had done it before, to the same person, so she knew she was a student.   Yale appear to think it was racist and are taking it very seriously:

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/05/10/yale-responds-after-black-student-reported-for-napping-in-common-room/

Yale responds after black student reported for napping in common room ....

Ah OK so new info we weren't previously aware of, has come out
My opinion was based on the info in front of me at the time.
So this could well be a mixture of mental issues plus a good dollop of racism, then.

Like i said before, I've a feeling Miss B. won't be allowed any further opportunities to annoy anyone [of any colour] in future.
She'll be reined in now.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Jules wrote:
sassy wrote:Now appears that the girl who did it had done it before, to the same person, so she knew she was a student.   Yale appear to think it was racist and are taking it very seriously:

Yale responds after black student reported for napping in common room ....

Ah OK so new info we weren't previously aware of, has come out
My opinion was based on the info in front of me at the time.
So this could well be a mixture of mental issues plus a good dollop of racism, then.

Like i said before, I've a feeling Miss B. won't be allowed any further opportunities to annoy anyone [of any colour] in future.
She'll be reined in now.

Yep, and about time too. Agree we didn't have the info before and this is one of the times we actually got it, so many times we are just left hanging and wondering lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:You probably would have to be American to truly understand what the racial tension is like here.

It's not like tolerance doesn't exist over here - I work in a diverse office and we have no problem - but it sometimes takes just one person or incident like this to set off a shit storm.

Nobody is denying there is intolerance

I have read her views and to me, she seems like an attention seeker, more than anything

What people are also neglecting is the original victims views on mental health and how this is stigmatized

Its wrong that the Police was called on her, but her views on mental health issues was appalling to make

I mean, to give an example and a view on blacks lives matters, its people with mental health issues, who are more likely to be shot by the Police than anyone else

If  her motives are racial, then she should be condemned

That is why I posted the other article by CNN

I try to look more at the views of people, hence my next link, as to see what is casuing someone to phone the Police and to me, its more about getting a rise out of a situation. Certainly to cause racial tensions, but not from a racist position

Hence attention seeking

You dont have to be American to understand racism or racial issues when it happens in another country.

As you are making a poor geographical argument, based on a broad aspect. As you live in one place in a vast state and then there are 52 states. Which you certainly do not frequent daily. Yet I see you as having a good grasp and understanding of racism. Where as seen, you never see most of this happen daily. Your limited view, is the same as everybody globally by reading such events on the news. Some of use experince and see racism, which is important in understanding, but to claim you have to be American to understand this, is nonsense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Well, since 2009 we've had stories that show that if you're black in America, you can't be sure you can:

*walk down the street with tea and Skittles

*enter your own home

*shop in an upscale department store

*drive pretty much anywhere

*wait for friends at Starbucks

*nap in the common room of your own dorm

... and much more without having the police called on you or worse.

This doesn't happen to white people.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:You probably would have to be American to truly understand what the racial tension is like here.

Another thing worth remembering is that when people have been subject to sporadic racist incidents all their lives,
their brains will automatically process any future dubious incidents as racist too, even when that's not the case.
It's not a question of being deliberately self indulgent,  it's automatic and subconscious.

Yes of course some people will play the victim card - especially when there's a buck or two to be gained out of it,
But that applies in every sphere of life, eg with homophobic or disablity bias, not just with racist bias.

Last edited by Jules on Sat May 12, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Oh, and you gave us 2 extra states Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Didge wrote:
sassy wrote:Jeez, is the Dodgy one still following me about like a slobbering puppy.

Given that sassy seldom posts here,  [she's VERY busy IRL] it could well be she hasn't had time to read the new rules ....
a gentle reminder from you, is all that's needed, not admonishments. Razz

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:Well, since 2009 we've had stories that show that if you're black in America, you can't be sure you can:

*walk down the street with tea and Skittles

*enter your own home

*shop in an upscale department store

*drive pretty much anywhere

*wait for friends at Starbucks

*nap in the common room of your own dorm

... and much more without having the police called on you or worse.

This doesn't happen to white people.

The point is you have to be in the US to understand this. No we dont, because you have as much experince as most people do globally with experincing racism. What you will have a better knowledge on is those you locally live with and how they perceive people racially. That is a very small number, as it is for everyone

Now to me sterotypes are utterly and completely wrong. It used to be, that if you had a shaved head, you must be a NF skinhead nazi. This has changed, but it once was this way. Sadly blacks are associated in the US with crimes and I think this has more come about by again relative poverty and how for centuries of oppressions against black people. Its like when I argue on antisemitism. These stigmas have stuck and are still being used today, to make racist view points. Its the media to blame, with how and what they portray a story on such an incident and the labels of black and white play a major factor in this

As soon as labels are used, its then hopw prejudice sets in with people. A perception forms, not from the very limited number of people they interact with, but how something is played out over the media. Sometimes its based on personal experince, but most of the time, its taught such prejudices.

I think its wrong against how and why Black people are judged for their skin colour, but its now starting to happen to people labelled white, based on the past history of Europeans. Its just one endless cycle of stupidity, laying constant blame at people, over again something that does not exist biologically, races

It continues to divide people racially, when we should be looking to unite people and it shows, humanity has not learnt a damn thing from the past.

Its time we dropped these labels and see people for who they are, human, for good and bad. As what makes a good or bad person, has nothing to do with the colour of their skin

lol fair point on the number of states

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Jules wrote:
Didge wrote:

Given that sassy seldom posts here,  [she's VERY busy IRL] it could well be she hasn't had time to read the new rules ....

i did not realise you are her paid PR?

It could well be that your job requirements do not need you to have your head up her arse.

Who knows, i could be wrong

Just saying

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 12, 2018 3:14 pm

For the record I wasn’t denying that America suffers worse racism than the UK

I have only ever said this was a poorly-written article and poorly-written articles can make people stupid.
The headline is misleading because I still have no idea what the white girl said it the police to make them come rushing over.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 3:19 pm

eddie wrote:For the record I wasn’t denying that America suffers worse racism than the UK

I have only ever said this was a poorly-written article and poorly-written articles can make people stupid.
The headline is misleading because I still have no idea what the white girl said it the police to make them come rushing over.

Eddie, you have no need to say and you are one person who knows racism and have seen this first hand and why you would never need to be an American to understand this. To me, more than anyone on here. Hence why I ridiculed Ben's point on this, sorry, but it was poor. As again we only see and understand what we experince locally and read globally.

I agree it was poorly written and off a view to make this racial and to me, nobody but me picked up on the stigmatism on mental health. If the former is wrong, then so is the later and yet as seen on here, nobody but me, has condemned the stigmatism around mental health.

To me, that is a huge double standard, as what the first victim said, was utterly poor.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:For the record I wasn’t denying that America suffers worse racism than the UK

Eddie, you have no need to say and you are one person who knows racism and have seen this first hand and why you would never need to be an American to understand this. To me, more than anyone on here. Hence why I ridiculed Ben's point on this, sorry, but it was poor. As again we only see and understand what we experince locally and read globally.

I agree it was poorly written and off a view to make this racial and to me, nobody but me picked up on the stigmatism on mental health. If the former is wrong, then so is the later and yet as seen on here, nobody but me, has condemned the stigmatism around mental health.

To me, that is a huge double standard, as what the first victim said, was utterly poor.

If this had been a white girl reporting another white girl there would be no story and therefore no thread.
I’m still unable to answer if this girl is racist or mentally ill or neither.

Where are her words? The ones she said to the police?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat May 12, 2018 3:28 pm

White girl who called police over napping black girl at Yale - racist or mentally ill? 479860004

I find it quite weird that police will visit student accommodation at the university, in this way -- simply because someone was found napping in a common room...

Simple question here : what the fuck were those cops doing enetering that residential hall, without first contacting either campus security, or the head of Students/whoever..

Also, just how exactly did those cops know where to go, anyway ?

Some things just don't sound quite kosher, as reported..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 3:28 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

If this had been a white girl reporting another white girl there would be no story and therefore no thread.
I’m still unable to answer if this girl is racist or mentally ill or neither.

Where are her words? The ones she said to the police?

I agree and why I am at an impasse but more inclined to think this is attention seeking

I have read her views, she thinks hate speech should not be laws. Gelico thinks this and gelico has no hateful bone in her body. I will disagree with Gelico on this. I think she is being stigmatized based on the articles for being skeptical.

Is that really a bad thing, I ask myself?

Who knows, she may actually be racist, but i think many have jumped the gun and pre-judged and again as Ben has done on sterotypes. Based on a perception of Americans.

We could all be wrong here and i am happy to admit I could have been

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 12, 2018 4:37 pm

In America, racism is always seething just beneath the surface.  Everybody tries to be tolerant, but give them one reason--one incident--and racism rises to the surface.  That's why so much that Trump does triggers it.  Charlottesville is the archetype of this.

Among the Ivy League--an athletic league of eight private, eastern universities--Yale is known to be the most conservative.  It's not surprising that the hot spot was at Yale.  It's known for it's elitism and the harboring of special "we's" to the exclusion of the unworthy "they's".

But, in the bigger picture, it's no surprise that Americans have racist tendencies buried deep in their psyche.  About the only region that escapes this is western America.  Hence, I am constantly calling for the Pacific States to pull away from the rest of the US...we have no sympathy, and certainly don't belong in any grouping with them.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Original Quill wrote:

In America, racism is always seething just beneath the surface.  Everybody tries to be tolerant, but give them one reason--one incident--and racism rises to the surface.  That's why so much that Trump does triggers it.  Charlottesville is the archetype of this.

Among the Ivy League--an athletic league of eight private, eastern universities--Yale is known to be the most conservative.  It's not surprising that the hot spot was at Yale.  It's known for it's elitism and the harboring of special "we's" to the exclusion of the unworthy "they's".

But, in the bigger picture, it's no surprise that Americans have racist tendencies buried deep in their psyche.  About the only region that escapes this is western America.  Hence, I am constantly calling for the Pacific States to pull away from the rest of the US...we have no sympathy, and certainly don't belong in any grouping with them.

A glowing example of what I have spoken about

Quill lives in California and claims to know the aspect and reality of the entire US

If Americans have racist tendencies, how is it, that since civil rights, no laws has been passed to retract and make racial segregation a relaity?

I think, that you and ben sadly play off the fact that because of a minority of racists, just as people do with islamists with Muslim extremists, that you play on a fear factor. You want people to buy into fear and hence play up how you believe millions of Americans think, without, ever having a scooby doo

There maybe many racists in the US, but they are overwhelmingly out numbered by people against racism and do you know what the worst part is?

You have no faith in them

When are you actually going to start to back them and place trust in them. As to me, you sound no better than the fear factor I am used to hearing.

Lets face it Quill, if Clinton had of been in power, you would have never suggested Califfornia vbreak away from the US. That is a fact

You are no more than rabbits. You sit back there like rabbits whinging doing nothing. You dont actually combat the crap Trump comes out with. You do what the left always do, and play on deligitimization. All you then do by this is epand his local popularity, just as Hamas has done. As Hezbollah has done. Who both play on fear and hate.

When will you both learn?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Original Quill wrote:

So you and Ben and all other Americans have this, then?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 6:08 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

So you and Ben and all other Americans have this, then?

Ouch

Talk about flawing an argument in one sentence

Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Didge wrote:A glowing example of what I have spoken about

Quill lives in California and claims to know the aspect and reality of the entire US

Well, I also have a PhD in political theory and a doctorate of laws.  I've taught at Rutgers University, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York and University of Arizona.  Lots of people live in California (it's the most populous state in the union), but that's just a feel for the region.  The US is a much more general question.

Having lived, learned, taught and experienced all parts of the US, yes I think I know all parts of the US.  Your experience, didge, is with a nation smaller (248,500 km2) than California (423,970 km2), so I doubt you can even fathom it.  But try, anyway.

Each region of the US is like a European-sized nation (New England, mid-Atlantic, southeast, mid-west, deep south, western plains, Rocky mountain-west and Pacific States). In Europe, divisions much smaller than that have their own languages.  Suffice it to say that a common ideology is impossible in the US.

The southern and middle US are afflicted with a mental disease...racism.  It's past on from generation to generation, and will never go away.  If a dog's leg has gangrene, you must cut it off, else it spreads to other parts of the body.  Medical science is quite familiar with this technique...cancer, too, must be cut out before it metastasizes.

Dividing the states is even less drastic.  The divided states will survive.  And, they will survive in a much happier state.  The southern states can have their racist ideology, without hindrance.  The midwest can dream about by-gone days of factory life.  The Rocky mountain states can dream of deep powder snow, ski resorts, hiking and rock climbing.

And, the Pacific states can live our clean, pc, wealthy, liberal, educated form of life--perhaps even giving foreign aid to our new neighbors.  Ya know, for old time's sake.  Laughing

All kidding aside, these different cultures don't belong together.  It's tortuous to try.  The US was born divided, and for 400-years, and one disastrous civil war, nothing has changed.  It's wrong, and pure agony to try.  A much happier life awaits in the Divided States.

Trust me...division is for the best.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 6:22 pm

[quote="Original Quill"]
Didge wrote:A glowing example of what I have spoken about

Well, I also have a PhD in political theory and a doctorate of laws.  I've taught at Rutgers University, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York and University of Arizona.  Lots of people live in California (it's the most populous state in the union), but that's just a feel for the region.  The US is a much more general question.
Didge wrote: And I have a degree in Phsychology, so again so what?
All you are telling me is measuring dick size here

Having lived, learned, taught and experienced all parts of the US, yes I think I know all parts of the US.  Your experience, didge, is with a nation smaller (248,500 km2) than California (423,970 km2), so I doubt you can even fathom it.  But try, anyway.
Didge wrote: Is no better than your experince
At least I admit mine is limited and yet you try to throb the forum off with bullshit. You will never be in the same place and time as over 300 million US citizens
That is a fact

Each region of the US is like a European-sized nation (New England, mid-Atlantic, southeast, mid-west, deep south, western plains, Rocky mountain-west and Pacific States). In Europe, divisions much smaller than that have their own languages.  Suffice it to say that a common ideology is impossible in the US.
Didge wrote: How boring and how not even worth countering, as its not even relevant to my point

The point is, you can never be in the same diferent million places as millions of people at the same time

That is a fact

The southern and middle US are afflicted with a mental disease...racism.  It's past on from generation to generation, and will never go away.  If a dog's leg has gangrene, you must cut it off, else it spreads to other parts of the body.  Medical science is quite familiar with this technique...cancer, too, must be cut out before it metastasizes.
Didge wrote:Is this the same desease that effected the Democratic party?
So how did the slavery party change then, if not pass from generation to generation?
This is why you bore me, you think you are talkling science and yet you are talking bullshit
There is nothing scienitific about your claim and yet you like a religious fanatic believe its true/quote]

Trust me...division is for the best.

So division to you, is not ever having peace then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 12, 2018 6:30 pm

If you have nothing to add, didge, I'll be on my way. Basketball

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Original Quill wrote:If you have nothing to add, didge, I'll be on my way.  Basketball

I thought you mighy run away mate

No surprise there then

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:If you have nothing to add, didge, I'll be on my way.  Basketball

No surprise there then

What can I say? I can always tell--when you stray off topic and get angry, you're obviously out of ideas. Why should I piss away my time when your commentary goes south?

There's a lot of activity on the board today. Fun stuff...see ya.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

No surprise there then

What can I say?  I can always tell--when you stray off topic and get angry, you're obviously out of ideas.  Why should I piss away my time when your commentary goes south?

There's a lot of activity on the board today.  Fun stuff...see ya.

When all else fails, lets talk abot didge

And i am accused of ruining debates

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue May 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Didge wrote:
Jules wrote:

i did not realise you are her paid PR?

It could well be that your job requirements do not need you to have your head up her arse.

Who knows, i could be wrong

Just saying

PAID? By that logic you should be richer than God by now.

Cos you frequently act as a 'paid PR' of other members,  often leaping in to reply on their behalf. You are the very last person who should whine about this as you're the worst perpetrator.

No, my head is not up her arse, fool.  I did not profess undying love for her, I simply pointed out that she's an infrequent visitor here, so not worth harassing .... a perfectly reasonable & true comment.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down