NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City

2 posters

Go down

West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City Empty West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 am

A former West Virginia police officer who was fired after not shooting a suicidal man wielding an unloaded gun has reached a settlement in a wrongful termination lawsuit that has drawn national headlines.

The city of Weirton, W.V., agreed on Friday to pay Stephen Mader, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran who served two tours of duty, $175,000 to dismiss his lawsuit against the city and the Weirton Police Department.

The American Civil Liberties Union of West Virginia and the law office of Timothy O'Brien filed a federal lawsuit on Mader's behalf last year, after the Weirton Police Department fired him for failing to shoot Ronald Williams, a 21-year-old black man Mader believed was trying to commit "suicide by cop."

"At the end of the day, I'm happy to put this chapter of my life to bed," Mader said in a statement. "The events leading to my termination were unjustified and I'm pleased a joint resolution has been met. My hope is that no other person on either end of a police call has to go through this again."

Reason reported last May, after Mader's lawsuit was filed:

Williams' girlfriend had called 911 to report he was threatening to kill himself, and that he had an unloaded gun.

"When I arrived at the scene, Mr. Williams was pleading for me to shoot him. He didn't appear angry or aggressive," Mader said in a statement. "He seemed depressed. As a Marine vet that served in Afghanistan and as an active member of the National Guard, all my training told me he was not a threat to others or me. Because of that I attempted to deescalate the situation. I was just doing my job."

Shortly after, another officer arrived on the scene and fatally shot Williams after Williams raised his gun. The gun was unloaded. State investigators later determined the shooting was justified.

Roughly a month later, Mader received a termination letter from the police department that stated he had "failed to eliminate a threat."

After the incident started to attract negative media attention, Weirton police officials held a press conference saying Mader had "multiple" prior conduct incidents. According to the lawsuit, the officer who shot Williams texted Mader after the press conference, and called him a "coward" who "didn't have the balls to save [his] own life."

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/12/west-virginia-cop-fired-for-not-shooting

Now the government is firing people when it's employees won't shoot people. Shocked
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City Empty Re: West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:12 am

Suspect

The police force administration in West Virginia are just as demented as those nutters up there in Minneapolis...

West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City 479860004
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City Empty Re: West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Suspect

The police force administration in West Virginia are just as demented as those nutters up there in Minneapolis...

West Virginia Cop Fired For Not Shooting Suicidal Man Settles Lawsuit Against City 479860004

Most of them are that way. Unfortunately half the people that want to clean up policing are focused entirely on race so their positions fall on deaf ears. Then we have the other group of Americans that will back the blue, pretty much no matter what.

Then there's the outcasts like me that everyone thinks is weird. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down