NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’

4 posters

Go down

Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’ Empty Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:52 am

A grand jury in Norfolk, Virginia indicted a local police officer on Thursday in connection with the fatal shooting of a mentally ill man last June, WTKR-TV reported.

The panel opted to charge Officer Michael Carlton Edington, Jr. on one charge of voluntary manslaughter for shooting and killing 35-year-old David Latham. The grand jury selected the manslaughter charge instead of two heavier charges, second-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

“I just want to say that I’m glad the justice system is working out and that we are on the right path,” Latham’s mother, Audrey, told the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot.

The grand jury was called by Commonwealth’s Attorney Greg Underwood’s office, and was the first such panel called in the area in connection with a fatal police shooting since 2008. When asked whether another officer had ever been indicted in such circumstances during her 10 years working for Underwood’s office, spokesperson Amanda Howie said, “Not to my knowledge.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/grand-jury-indicts-virginia-cop-for-fatally-shooting-mentally-ill-black-man-like-a-dog/

Back to top Go down

Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’ Empty Re: Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:16 am

It sounds similar to the shooting of Justin Way.

Of course he was white ...
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’ Empty Re: Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:24 am

Raggamuffin wrote:It sounds similar to the shooting of Justin Way.

So what, that makes it worse?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:16 am

Just a moment Ben, not only black people are victimised by the police. So can we take wrongful arrests, clear cut assaults and murders as a whole please. After all we should stand as one! Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’ 1094176690
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:32 am

captainJane wrote:Just a moment Ben, not only black people are victimised by the police. So can we take wrongful arrests, clear cut assaults and murders as a whole please. After all we should stand as one! Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’ 1094176690

I totally agree, that's what I meant. The motto of many police forces in the U.S. is "to serve and protect" -- I think they've got some work to do to live up to that.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:35 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Does it?

Have the police been charged in connection with his death?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:36 am

captainJane wrote:Just a moment Ben, not only black people are victimised by the police. So can we take wrongful arrests, clear cut assaults and murders as a whole please. After all we should stand as one! Grand jury indicts Virginia cop for fatally shooting mentally ill black man ‘like a dog’ 1094176690

Careful. If I had said that, I would have been accused of being "racist".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:41 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Does it?

I don't think they can be, because May had a knife and was threatening people. I do think, though, that they should learn from his case not to be so willing to shoot someone in order to resolve a conflict.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:43 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

Not by me. I will point out that in the U.S., most of the people killed by police aren't white.

I'll further point out that when white people bring big loaded guns into restaurants, they're "expressing their right to bear arms." When black people pick up air pistols in Walmarts, they get killed by police.

No amount of wordsmithing can make that not true.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:55 am

Can't argue there. Just speaking from my end of the world.

Where I live we are very lucky, but in places like London, I would say it is about 40, 60. It is all wrong!! I can say that after speaking to a black guy that had been harassed, but not only him, as he told us of white people that are being harassed to for speaking out on the unfair powers.

It is bad white people are brainwashed into being racist, but I am white and fought all my life to defend all people from all cultures. I will be giving up if this is going to all one sided, so how many more of us will follow suit. All I am saying is stop shutting the door on good white people or I for one will lock my door on even trying to help again. I am tired and worn down and can't keep defending if being attacked by all sides, all because of what others do. We get alienated from both sides. Just think about that!
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:57 am

captainJane wrote:Can't argue there. Just speaking from my end of the world.

Where I live we are very lucky, but in places like London, I would say it is about 40, 60. It is all wrong!! I can say that after speaking to a black guy that had been harassed, but not only him, as he told us of white people that are being harassed to for speaking out on the unfair powers.

It is bad white people are brainwashed into being racist, but I am white and fought all my life to defend all people from all cultures. I will be giving up if this is going to all one sided, so how many more of us will follow suit. All I am saying is stop shutting the door on good white people or I for one will lock my door on even trying to help again. I am tired and worn down and can't keep defending if being attacked by all sides, all because of what others do. We get alienated from both sides. Just think about that!

The ideal is that everyone gets treated like an individual -- if only we could get everyone to agree!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:58 am

Yes, you have another way of seeing things because of what you go through there. We all have but I am disappointed in your atitude right now. Hopefully this is temporary.
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:58 am

captainJane wrote:Yes, you have another way of seeing things because of what you go through there. We all have but I am disappointed in your atitude right now. Hopefully this is temporary.

What's wrong with my attitude?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:02 am

No colour thing here, we are ALL being poisoned and ALL being lied to while being treated like a piece of sh-t. The disabled black and white are being trapped in snares within their homes. WE are ALL suffering!
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:19 am

captainJane wrote:No colour thing here, we are ALL being poisoned and ALL being lied to while being treated like a piece of sh-t. The disabled black and white are being trapped in snares within their homes. WE are ALL suffering!

Trapped in snares in their own homes Jane?

Can you be more specific?

I agree with some of what you say by the way.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:21 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Not by me. I will point out that in the U.S., most of the people killed by police aren't white.

I'll further point out that when white people bring big loaded guns into restaurants, they're "expressing their right to bear arms." When black people pick up air pistols in Walmarts, they get killed by police.

No amount of wordsmithing can make that not true.

Actually, that's not true.

I think you're talking about proportions.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:22 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
captainJane wrote:Can't argue there. Just speaking from my end of the world.

The ideal is that everyone gets treated like an individual -- if only we could get everyone to agree!

Well you could start by seeing those Waco bikers as individuals, as could your mate Quill.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:02 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Does it?

I don't think they can be, because May had a knife and was threatening people. I do think, though, that they should learn from his case not to be so willing to shoot someone in order to resolve a conflict.

Way, not May. I'd be interested to know if he was actually threatening people with the knife because, according to his girlfriend, he was lying on a bed holding the knife.

Mr Latham also had a knife.

When Edington and the other officers arrived at the house, David Latham was on his porch, holding the knife.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:17 pm

captainJane wrote:No colour thing here, we are ALL being poisoned and ALL being lied to while being treated like a piece of sh-t. The disabled black and white are being trapped in snares within their homes. WE are ALL suffering!

I've made that point over and over... You have no racism there because you have no history behind it. Y'all are like the nouveau riche in understanding.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down