NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed

+4
eddie
Irn Bru
Ben Reilly
nicko
8 posters

Go down

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed Empty Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Two members of a US news crew are killed in a gun attack during a live TV broadcast in Virginia.

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed Wdjb7--(None)_LRG

Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27, both worked for CBS affiliated WDBJ-TV. The pair were carrying out a live interview at Bridgewater Plaza in Moneta, Virginia, when the shooting took place.
During the interview shots suddenly begin ringing out and screaming can be heard. As the camera falls to the ground the suspected gunman can be seen holding what appears to be a handgun.
Police are now on the scene. There are currently few details about the attacker and no description of the suspect was immediately available.
Franklin County Sheriff's Department spokesman Phillip Young confirmed reports of an active shooter at Bridgewater Plaza in Moneta.
ABC News affiliate WJLA reported that all Bedford County schools were on lockdown.

http://www.channel4.com/news/two-shot-dead-during-live-tv-broadcast

Back to top Go down

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed Empty Re: Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:21 pm

A man suspected of shooting a Virginia news crew dead during a live broadcast has uploaded camera phone footage of the attack to his Twitter account.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/26/virginia-shooter-tweets-v_n_8043634.html?1440602593&utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed Empty Re: Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:29 pm

Apparently he has now shot himself but is still alive. His injuries are thought to be life threatening No

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Will they spend time and money trying to keep him alive? If he survives will he be charged with murder and executed? Do they keep him alive or let him die? What do YOU think?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:35 pm

I hear he was a disgruntled employee that worked for the news station.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:43 pm

nicko wrote:Will they spend time and money trying to keep him alive?   If he survives will he be charged with murder and executed?  Do they keep him alive or let him die?  What do YOU think?

Honestly Nicko? If he survives, is convicted and sentenced to death he will spend years on death row. Regardless of the money I have no doubt that his victims will feel cheated if justice isn't served.

He has taken the cowards way out, my heart says why should that be allowed and my head says what's the point? There is no doubt about his guilt No

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 pm

He died in hospital. His name was Vester Lee Flanagan II, but he was known to audiences as Bryce Williams:

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed Bryce-williams

He may also have been the ex-lover of the photographer; sources are saying a journal or manifesto he wrote has been found in which he complains of being discriminated against as a gay black man.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Bloody hell
What a world

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:He died in hospital. His name was Vester Lee Flanagan II, but he was known to audiences as Bryce Williams:

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed Bryce-williams

He may also have been the ex-lover of the photographer; sources are saying a journal or manifesto he wrote has been found in which he complains of being discriminated against as a gay black man.

Oh how sad that he felt so strongly he had to take this path  Sad  I wonder what the full story will reveal but clearly three unnecessary deaths which could and should have been avoided.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:58 pm

Absolutely shocking and once again Obama is calling for Congress to pass legislation on gun laws.

How many more?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:17 pm

I have seen the video and it's really shocking. Despite all the unnecessary bloodshed all the pain and the loss of school shootings etc Americans still want to be armed. Very scary.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Nems wrote:I have seen the video and it's really shocking. Despite all the unnecessary bloodshed all the pain and the loss of school shootings etc Americans still want to be armed. Very scary.

Well said.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:03 am

So many Americans own guns ... because so many other Americans own guns No

Growing up in a low-income suburb here in DFW, you'd see police pulling up outside someone's house and drawing their guns as they approach -- usually domestic violence calls, but they don't necessarily tell you what's going on. It's perfectly understandable to want to be armed when you know you have people like that around you.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:41 am

@Ben
Or to Disarm the nut case Wink

I think everyone else thinks the USA is crazy and violent because
we go 'that is too dangerous to allow someone to have, if taking it away from him means I lose it too so be it' and the USA goes 'he has something dangerous I need something equally as dangerous too'

I think the video shows how absolutely irrelevant being counter armed is. wouldn't have saved either of them.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:03 am

I've been to the USA many times and I've never ever felt worried about anyone pulling a gun out. I've never even thought about it. I found the cops really respectful - well the one's that had breakfasts in the hotel dining rooms that they seem to use most places.
Even on the street they are fine and happy to help.

Now the immigration folk at the airports - they're a completely different breed of people and a bit grumpy as well like they don't want us.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:29 am

Seems I now hear this was racially motivated.

• Suspect named as Vester Flanagan, aka Bryce Williams
• Reporter and cameraman killed live on air in Moneta, Virginia
• Killer sent fax claiming Charleston massacre motivated attack
• Bryce Williams profile: 'An unhappy man, quick to take offence'
• Attack was filmed by suspect and posted online
• Victims named as Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27
• Watch moment gunman opens fire live on air in Virginia

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11825505/Two-US-journalists-killed-in-Virginia-shooting-live.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/gunman-vester-flanagan-said-he-acted-in-response-to-charleston-church-shooting-10473642.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:48 am

How did he know where Alison Parker and Adam Ward were going to be that day?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Irn Bru wrote:I've been to the USA many times and I've never ever felt worried about anyone pulling a gun out. I've never even thought about it. I found the cops really respectful - well the one's that had breakfasts in the hotel dining rooms that they seem to use most places.

Now the immigration folk at the airports - they're a completely different breed of people and a bit grumpy as well like they don't want us.

Agreed my mate just came back from Florida and she said the immigration control guy was the most miserable hard faced get they had ever met.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:How did he know where Alison Parker and Adam Ward were going to be that day?

That's a good question, but he might have been helped by a promotion of an upcoming report run by the station itself. Something like that coupled with his knowledge of the crew's work habits could have enabled him to guess. Or he might have a friend on the crew that he tricked into telling him.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:How did he know where Alison Parker and Adam Ward were going to be that day?

That's a good question, but he might have been helped by a promotion of an upcoming report run by the station itself. Something like that coupled with his knowledge of the crew's work habits could have enabled him to guess. Or he might have a friend on the crew that he tricked into telling him.

It seemed such an ordinary piece they were doing - I wouldn't have thought they would advertise it in advance.

I've seen another portion of video where you can see how close he is to them. It's a real shame that Adam Ward didn't spot him - he could have swung the camera at him and knocked that gun right out of his hand. Also, it seems that he didn't shoot to kill straightaway.

It's horrible, and in a way it's a pity he died - he won't have to answer for what he did - not in this life anyway.

As Didge said, it appears that part of his motive was revenge for the killing of all those black people in the church, as well as some kind of revenge for being sacked.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:44 pm

I believe Flanagan was not trying to vindicate racial crimes, but was working out his own paranoid delusional mental frame.  True, two hours after the shootings, Flanagan faxed a 23 page-document to ABC News in which he wrote that what he did was prompted by the racism behind the Charleston church shooting.  But the general manager of WDBJ describes him more generally, as an unhappy man who was difficult to work with, which led to his firing two years ago.

“This is obviously not an emotionally stable person,” said Dr. Harold Schwartz, the psychiatrist-in-chief at Institute of Living at Hartford (CN) Hospital, who also sat on the state’s council reviewing the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.  “This is a very, very angry person who would seem in some ways to be perhaps delusional.”

Flanagan admitted in the very same fax  “I’ve been a human powder keg for a while — just waiting to go BOOM.”  He even made reference to Seung-Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech mass killer, as “that’s my boy right there” and also shared his admiration for the Columbine killers.  None of these killings related to racial vindication or anger. Flanagan says in the fax, his anger had been building.  His mental state was obviously much more complex than racial hatred.

“Individuals who shoot this way are very, very self-involved. They are totally enveloped by their anger,” Dr. Schwartz said in an interview after the killing yesterday.  “These folks tend to be very self-involved by character, not the kind with resources that would enable them to work their problems out in other ways.”  He added: “They seem to feel their anger justifies taking the lives of others.”

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:56 pm

I read that he had been sacked from a different job in 2000. He sued, and it was settled out of court on that occasion.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I read that he had been sacked from a different job in 2000. He sued, and it was settled out of court on that occasion.

I heard that too. It shows a pattern of emotional upheaval surrounding him personally, not any external issue.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:25 pm

"...two hours after the shootings, Flanagan faxed a 23 page-document to ABC News in which he wrote that what he did was prompted by the racism behind the Charleston church shooting..."

He 'faxed' this '23 page document' over to ABC news two hours after the incident, explaining why he DID it?

So... this was written by him AFTER the event and on paper In his own hand writing...?

And then faxed?

Or was it typed into a computer as a word doc etc and then printed out and then faxed over?

Where was it faxed from?

And why print it out and fax it if he could have just emailed it instead?

Wasn't he on the run for the time after?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
"...two hours after the shootings, Flanagan faxed a 23 page-document to ABC News in which he wrote that what he did was prompted by the racism behind the Charleston church shooting..."

He 'faxed' this '23 page document' over to ABC news two hours after the incident, explaining why he DID it?

So... this was written by him AFTER the event and on paper In his own hand writing...?

And then faxed?

Or was it typed into a computer as a word doc etc and then printed out and then faxed over?

Where was it faxed from?

And why print it out and fax it if he could have just emailed it instead?

Wasn't he on the run for the time after?

Yes, but even on the run he can fax at any FEDEX or KINKO's stores along the way.  If it was really a manifesto, a la the "Unabomber", he probably had in printed out beforehand.

I don't see your point.  It's clear he had thought it out before the killing...it wasn't spontaneous.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Suggests it was written after the event and as an explanation of what he'd done...

My questions about this 'document' and how and when it was prepared and transmitted from are of interest and quite relevant...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:16 pm

There's rather a lot of dispute going on, about why the media chose to show the video and why people would choose to watch a live killing.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Suggests it was written after the event and as an explanation of what he'd done...

My questions about this 'document' and how and when it was prepared and transmitted from are of interest and quite relevant...

The idea that he'd write 26 pages while on the run in a few hours is pretty preposterous. Either he wrote it before, as Quill said, or I guess you're saying it was forged for some reason?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:47 pm

If it was written explaining what he'd DONE... then it suggests that it was written AFTER the event...

And faxed?

So if pre prepared then surely emailing would be done...

Or if written AFTER then surely would be easier to do on tech device of some kind and emailed...

Why faxed...!?

Valid questions about an important piece of incident.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Irn Bru wrote:I've been to the USA many times and I've never ever felt worried about anyone pulling a gun out. I've never even thought about it. I found the cops really respectful - well the one's that had breakfasts in the hotel dining rooms that they seem to use most places.

When I went to America I was worried about this but I found the airport staff there great.  We had to change flights etc so I was worried about the process.  

The guy at Heathrow was a completely different matter affraid  I actually nearly didn't go No

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:23 am

Tommy Monk wrote:If it was written explaining what he'd DONE... then it suggests that it was written AFTER the event...

And faxed?

So if pre prepared then surely emailing would be done...

Or if written AFTER then surely would be easier to do on tech device of some kind and emailed...

Why faxed...!?

Valid questions about an important piece of incident.

Okay, please explain why the timing on this matters.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:42 am

nicko wrote:If it was written explaining what he'd DONE... then it suggests that it was written AFTER the event...

Why?  I doubt he was acting on pure impulse.  His so-called manifesto appears to have been prospective, explaining why he he was 'taking' the actions he intended to take that morning.  He could have been planning this for days...months even.  Sometime during that time, he wrote the manifesto.

This guy didn't come down sick day-before-yesterday.  He was fired for his 'troubles' two years ago.  This was stewing a long time.  Perhaps he wrote the manifesto over those two years.  It still explains why he did what he did.

Faxing would be the easiest way to communicate if you are on the run.  You don't stop and set up a computer to send a huge manifesto by email.

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:48 am

http://www.news.com.au/world/presidential-candidate-donald-trump-attributes-gun-violence-problem-to-mental-illness-despite-statistics-proving-thats-not-the-real-issue/story-fndir2ev-1227502511481

Mr Trump’s comments were an echo of the classic old gun lobby line that “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. But does that line make sense in this context?

Well, according to the American Institute for Mental Health, about 18.5 per cent (or nearly one in five) Americans have a mental illness. Those statistics include everything from severe to relatively benign mental, behavioural, or emotional disorders (excluding developmental and substance use disorders).

In Australia the statistics are remarkably similar. SANE Australia, the National Mental Health Charity, says that about one in five Australians is affected by some kind of mental disorder every year.

So you’ve got two populations where the prevalence of mental illness almost exactly matches. Yet gun deaths in America massively outweigh gun deaths in Australia. Almost 30 of every one million Americans die from gun-related homicide. The comparative figure in Australia is just 1.4 people per million.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:55 am

veya wrote:Well, according to the American Institute for Mental Health, about 18.5 per cent (or nearly one in five) Americans have a mental illness. Those statistics include everything from severe to relatively benign mental, behavioural, or emotional disorders (excluding developmental and substance use disorders).

That's just conservatism.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 am

no that is just the legitimate number it is 20% in Australia So the idea that "guns don't kill people, people do" is Wong unless the factor that causes the tendency to kill people with guns is actually US citizenship, and then when you consider an American citizen is 20 times more like to murder another human being with a gun...  

If Guns are not the reason then US citizenship makes people murders.  based on the Actual statistics. the only difference in variables was access to guns and national citizenship. So if guns don't make the difference then it only leaves on thing.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:no that is just the legitimate number it is 20% in Australia So the idea that "guns don't kill people, people do" is Wong unless the factor that causes the tendency to kill people with guns is actually US citizenship, and then when you consider an American citizen is 20 times more like to murder another human being with a gun...  

If Guns are not the reason then US citizenship makes people murders.  based on the Actual statistics. the only difference in variables was access to guns and national citizenship. So if guns don't make the difference then it only leaves on thing.

Guns are your concern.  I'm just saying that conservatism has been diagnosed as a mental illness:

Psychology Today wrote:
Conservatism as a Mental Illness
Republican pols have recently exhibited 10 telltale signs of mental illness.

In Creationism as a Mental Illness, Robert Rowland Smith argues that creationists exhibit several signs of mental illness including denial, psychosis, and inability to grasp irony.

The specter of mental illness does indeed loom large over creationists, but they are not alone. Signs of psychopathology can also be seen among their political bedfellows, conservative politicians, especially when you consider a wide range of illness indicators. In his award-winning 2005 book, Dr. James Whitney Hicks discusses 50 signs of mental illness (link is external) including denial, delusion, hallucination, disordered thinking, anger, anti-social behavior, sexual preoccupation, grandiosity, general oddness, and paranoia. Now I'm no clinician, but in my (admittedly biased brown) eyes it seems that prominent Republicans have evidenced each of these ten telltale signs of mental illness over the past year:

1) Denial: humans did not evolve (link is external);  Obama is not a native-born American Christian (link is external)

2) Delusion: climate is not changing (link is external)

3) Hallucination: God ordained me to be President (link is external)

4) Disordered Thinking: being for small government that's huge in the bedroom (link is external);  being anti-contraception and anti-abortion (link is external)

5) Anger: Newt Gingrich’s perpetual scowl (link is external)

6) Anti-social Behavior: toward women (link is external), gays (link is external), minorities, anyone without an umbilical cord or trust fund

7) Sexual Preoccupation: a fervent compulsion to control when we can mate, with whom we can mate, and precisely how we are allowed to mate (which I lampoon in Why Do Politicians Want to Police Dick and Jane's Private Parts?)

8) Grandiosity: even Rick Santorum recognizes (link is external) Gingrich’s “over the moon” grandiosity (link is external)

9) General Oddness: Ron Paul (link is external)

10) Paranoia: pretty much all of them, all of the time (link is external)

Even (the not necessarily dumb (link is external)) Pope Francis appears to recognize (link is external) that “it is a serious illness, this of ideological [conservative] Christians. It is an illness, but it is not new, eh?”

Regrettably, the Republican who least exhibits anti-science stances is the only one who (tongue-in-cheek) acknowledges his mental illness:

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed 98162-95059

Until Jon Huntsman becomes the sane voice of his insane party, maybe "Republican Syndrome" should be added to the DSM-V (link is external) so that crazy conservative pols can receive the mental health treatment they need. I bet "Obamacare" would even cover it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:46 am

Been reading a piece on Flanagan
He had complained that he was the victim of racial abuse at the TV station. He claimed a watermelon had been left where all TV presenters could see it.
Can anyone explain the significance of a watermelon?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:22 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype

Watermelons have been viewed as a major symbol in the iconography of racism in the United States[2] since as early as the nineteenth century.[3] The truthfulness of this stereotype has been questioned; one survey conducted from 1994 to 1996 showed that African Americans, at the time 12.5 percent of the country's population, only accounted for 11.1 percent of the United States' watermelon consumption

Must be an American thing, never heard of it here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:29 pm

sassy wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype

Watermelons have been viewed as a major symbol in the iconography of racism in the United States[2] since as early as the nineteenth century.[3] The truthfulness of this stereotype has been questioned; one survey conducted from 1994 to 1996 showed that African Americans, at the time 12.5 percent of the country's population, only accounted for 11.1 percent of the United States' watermelon consumption

Must be an American thing, never heard of it here.

It's a southern thing.  ("Symbol in the iconography"--I've got to remember that.)  The watermelon is symbolic of blacks and black culture.  Blacks have always been depicted in Tom Sawyerish pictures and woodcuts, as sitting around a porch eating watermelons and spitting out seeds, a dog or two lying in the dirt.  In other symbols, they are depicted as excellent dancers.  Also banjo pickers (originally an African musical instrument, known as the banjar).  In more nefarious terms, the hangman's noose means a threat to murder a given black, or blacks in general.  A KKK hood means the same thing.

It's similar to other forms of iconography.  A Hispanic is generally thought to be good at agricultural things, so a shoulder sack is often used as an icon for Hispanics:

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed Picture1

Think Juan Valdez, picking Folger's coffee beans. A pregnant belly or a stove for women.  The list goes on.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:46 pm

I guess there are lots of stories in the lives of any of us.  Yesterday we went to City Hall for a political rally.  Today we are going to the Doctor's to investigate a lump in the breast.

So, when we do something like (god forbid) Bryce Williams (Flanagan), the newspapers will say s/he was motivated by politics; or, s/he was despondent about cancer.  You can pick anything out of a person's life and say that was the reason.  But the challenge is to select the right thing.

I don't think race was the real causal issue for Williams, or Flanagan.  He may have opportunistically seized upon the Charleston murders, and said that motivated him in his manifesto.  Maybe it did move him, too. Maybe he thought that made him look rightous, also. But I don't think that was the primary issue.  The press likes to make it seem as such, because it sells papers.

I think the guy simply had a borderline personality disorder, manifested in paranoid delusions. Blacks can be delusional too, ya know.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:56 pm

So was this claimed 'faxed 23 page document' written by hand, typed directly onto paper on typewriter, typed up as a pc based document?

Was it made before or after the event?

Why was it faxed?

Where from?

Why not emailed?

Or posted?

Was it written in past tense, after the event, explaining what he'd done?

Or If written beforehand... how much of what he actually did was contained in his prediction of what he was going to do...? And how could he have been so accurate about what he was going to do before it had actually really happened?

How could he have known who was going to be where or when etc?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:29 am

Tommy Monk wrote:So was this claimed 'faxed 23 page document' written by hand, typed directly onto paper on typewriter, typed up as a pc based document?

Virginia TV shooting: two journalists killed Abc_lee_flanagan__note_03_lb_150826_4x3_992

Tommy Monk wrote:Was it made before or after the event?

He doesn't say.

Tommy Monk wrote:Why was it faxed?

So it would reach ABC News in New York City.

Tommy Monk wrote:Where from?

Why not emailed?

Or posted?

He never said. He's dead now, so we'll probably never know.

Tommy Monk wrote:Was it written in past tense, after the event, explaining what he'd done?

Or If written beforehand... how much of what he actually did was contained in his prediction of what he was going to do...? And how could he have been so accurate about what he was going to do before it had actually really happened?

Because he was the shooter, he was able to determine what he would do.

Tommy Monk wrote:How could he have known who was going to be where or when etc?

Because he was formerly a news reporter for that station, he apparently had access to schedules, is what I heard. I don't know if that was news speculation or actual, verified fact.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:01 am

Yeah... right...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Started my own take on Tommy's questions but had to stop in the middle, so here it is for what it's worth:

Tommy Monk wrote:So was this claimed 'faxed 23 page document' written by hand, typed directly onto paper on typewriter, typed up as a pc based document?

It was typed. Because it was faxed, it would take an expert to tell whether it was printed out or done on a typewriter (I would assume -- it might be impossible).

Tommy Monk wrote:Was it made before or after the event?

It appears to have been created before the event. It would be tough for anyone to type 23 pages in less than two hours, even if they were just transcribing something. The average typist can do 40 words a minute; assuming pages of 500 words each, that would take nearly five hours.

Tommy Monk wrote:Why was it faxed?

There are a few potential reasons. One, if he'd already printed it out or wrote it on a typewriter, fax would be faster than mail and he might have wanted confirmation that the media got it before authorities could catch him. Also, he was a reporter, and reporters often receive documents via fax.

Tommy Monk wrote:Where from?

That doesn't appear to have been disclosed, and might not be depending on where it was.

Tommy Monk wrote:Why not emailed?

Or posted?

Who knows for sure? Again, it's most likely that he wanted to get the confirmation that the station had received it.

Tommy Monk wrote:Was it written in past tense, after the event, explaining what he'd done?

Yes -- it contains phrases like "Why did I do it?" and answers that question by stating that he paid a deposit on the murder weapon back in June.

Tommy Monk wrote:Or If written beforehand... how much of what he actually did was contained in his prediction of what he was going to do...? And how could he have been so accurate about what he was going to do before it had actually really happened?

I can't find a source for the full transcript, so I would say we have to rely on media reports for what the manifesto said he would do. As for his accuracy, maybe he just got lucky.

Tommy Monk wrote:How could he have known who was going to be where or when etc?

My guess would be that he tricked a former co-worker into telling him. Possibly called the friend up and made up some story about wanting to "bump into" the two of them somewhere, perhaps to make amends for his past bad behavior. Police still don't know how he found them.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-alleged-gunman-details-grievances-suicide-notes/story?id=33336339[/quote]
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Yeah... right...

What do you think happened?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks for that Ben... it's not that I'm disputing anything... just want to know more details about this '23 page faxed document'...

I think it is a hugely important piece of evidence/information etc of the whole incident for a variety of reasons and angles etc, and every aspect of it needs to be scrutinized/checked/investigated/questioned/verified etc...

And The questions I have asked are just the scratching of The surface of The start of The questions that should be being asked about the whole 'document'...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down