NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Courts take obese girl away from her mother.

+8
HoratioTarr
'Wolfie
JulesV
Tommy Monk
magica
Cass
Maddog
Syl
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Courts take obese girl away from her mother. - Page 2 Empty Courts take obese girl away from her mother.

Post by Syl Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Is this the nanny state going much too far, or are the courts right to take the child away from her mother because she is too fat? 

"An obese 12-year-old girl has been taken from her mother after doctors found her BMI is at a 'dangerously high level'. 

The child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was taken into foster care when medical and social staff started to fear for her safety. 

Her mother could lose custody of her after the local council took out legal action against her.  

Details of the case have emerged in a ruling by Judge Clifford Bellamy, who discussed preliminary issues at a private family court hearing. 
Judge Bellamy, who is based in Leicester, said no-one involved in the case could be identified, and the exact weight of the youngster remains unknown. 

He explained that a doctor had examined the girl a few months ago and concluded her body mass index was at a 'dangerously high level'. 

She has been taken into care, while decisions about her long-term future are in the hands of social services. 

The judge said medical experts will give evidence on the state of her health at a later hearing."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5286909/UK-obese-girl-12-taken-mother-dangerous-BMI.html
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Courts take obese girl away from her mother. - Page 2 Empty Re: Courts take obese girl away from her mother.

Post by Original Quill Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:34 pm

magica wrote:Taking a child away from their parents because they're overweight is wrong.

I'm so fed up with this nanny state we live in

On the other hand, what about the real nanny here? She can make dangerous decisions about herself, I don't give a sheit. But "nanny" doesn't give her a right to kill her child.

I think removing the child from that home is perfectly just and proper. Children aren't property.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Courts take obese girl away from her mother. - Page 2 Empty Re: Courts take obese girl away from her mother.

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yes. It infuriates me when people don't feed their kids good food, and feed them junk.

But this is down to behavior. It would be different if the mother was feeding the child something that is not designed for human consumption.

Yeah, Fairmount, sometimes the state has to step in because we can't all be as enlightened as y'all down around Magnolia Rolling Eyes

I prefer the to be called Southside. It's where I live and far less pretentious sounding. Wink

The state does need to step in at times, but remember the state has stepped into the lives of millions around the globe and killed them.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Original Quill wrote:
magica wrote:Taking a child away from their parents because they're overweight is wrong.

I'm so fed up with this nanny state we live in

On the other hand, what about the real nanny here?  She can make dangerous decisions about herself, I don't give a sheit.  But "nanny" doesn't give her a right to kill her child.

I think removing the child from that home is perfectly just and proper.  Children aren't property.

No Quill, you’re wrong. That girl needs her mother. This is just adding fuel to an already dangerous fire. What next, I give my daughter too many Easter eggs and then she feels sick and I’m done for child abuse?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Easter eggs are not a demonstrable ill. Obesity is.

I think we take much too much for granted that our personal rights run directly to our children. They do not. Children are not personal possessions, but are granted to us 'in the best interests' of the child. Under that test, if you are not acting in the child's best interests, then you don't deserve him or her.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:Easter eggs are not a demonstrable ill.  Obesity is.

I think we take much too much for granted that our personal rights run directly to our children.  They do not.  Children are not personal possessions, but are granted to us 'in the best interests' of the child.  Under that test, if you are not acting in the child's best interests, then you don't deserve him or her.

Who granted my daughters to me and their mother?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Easter eggs are not a demonstrable ill.  Obesity is.

I think we take much too much for granted that our personal rights run directly to our children.  They do not.  Children are not personal possessions, but are granted to us 'in the best interests' of the child.  Under that test, if you are not acting in the child's best interests, then you don't deserve him or her.

It's not a question of origins. That's a metaphysical matter.

The real issue is, what is in the best interests of the child? That framing has the practical consequence that the focus is on the well-being of the child.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It's not a question of origins.  That's a metaphysical matter.

The real issue is, what is in the best interests of the child?  That framing has the practical consequence that the focus is on the well-being of the child.

If children are granted, then there has to be a grantor and a grantee.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2