NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If god is all powerful why does he allow sin?

+7
nicko
Raggamuffin
veya_victaous
Original Quill
Eilzel
SEXY MAMA
Ben Reilly
11 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

If god is all powerful why does he allow sin? - Page 13 Empty If god is all powerful why does he allow sin?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Apparently homosexuality is a sin - if you put a certain spin on the bible texts.

Yet it is claimed god is all powerful.

If he is all powerful why did he create homosexuality?

If he is all powerful why does he refuse to help those who believe that interpretation of the bible when they beg him to help them change?

Surely the evidence is that if god does exist he is one sadistic bugger.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

If god is all powerful why does he allow sin? - Page 13 Empty Re: If god is all powerful why does he allow sin?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:30 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

i proved the bible is complete..lol didgerytwo... :D 

Unless you can tell me which chapter and verse in the Bible includes that information that was too hard to bear, then you've proved the Bible is incomplete

if you remember you quoted a passage that you thought said the bible was incomlete and I proved you wrong... :D 

Back to top Go down

If god is all powerful why does he allow sin? - Page 13 Empty Re: If god is all powerful why does he allow sin?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:30 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

that is a markedly differently argument to the one you adopted on FLAP

and it is also against the teachings of the qur'an which is littered with mumbo jumbo about how Allah alone makes all things happen - including believing in him and not believing in him

6:125        
Those whom Allah (in His Plan) willeth to guide [yahdeehi] He openeth their breast to Islam; those whom He willeth to leave straying [youthillahoo] He maketh their breast close and constricted as if they had to climb up to the skies: thus doth Allah (heap) the penalty on those who refuse to believe….

14: 27        
Allah will establish in strength those who believe with the Word that stands firm in this world and in the Hereafter; but Allah will lead astray [youthillou] those who do wrong: Allah doeth what He willeth.

57:22
No misfortune can happen on earth or in your souls but is recorded in a decree before We bring it into existence:

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith
Hadith 96        Narrated byAbdullah ibn Amr
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him)  went out and he had in his hand two books. He said: Do you know what these two books are? We said: Allah's Messenger, we do not know but only that you inform us.

Thereupon he said: This one which my right hand possesses is a Book from the Lord of the worlds. It contains the names of the inmates of Paradise and the name of their forefathers and those of their tribes. It is most exhaustive and nothing will be added to it nor anything eliminated from it up to eternity.

He then said: This one in my left  hand is a Book from the Lord of the worlds. It contains the names of the denizens of Hell and the names of their forefathers and their tribes. It is also exhaustive to the end and nothing will be added to it nor anything will be eliminated from it.

The Companions said: Allah's Messenger, (if this is the case) then where lies the use of doing a deed if the affair is already decided?

Thereupon he said: Stick to the right course and remain as close to it as possible for one who is to be inmate of Paradise would end his life by an act befitting the inmates of Paradise, no matter what he may have done and for one who is the denizen of Hell, his deed would end on that which is a deed of the denizens of Hell, no matter what he may have done (before). Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) then threw the books and making a gesture with his hand said: Allah has made a decision about His servants (a section will be in Paradise and a section in the blaze).  

Transmitted by Tirmidhi.

Lol! I said Quran chapter 1, you muppet.

Not one line each from chapters 6, 15 and 57.

Come and copy and paste Chapter 1 - all of it.

ive provided you with several examples of predestination from different sections of the Qur'an AND one of the hadith to support it

but here it is just for you

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;
Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
Master of the Day of Judgment.
Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.
Show us the straight way,
The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.

nothing in there about free will

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30 pm

No Zack.....because god ALREADY knows your choices...surely that leaves only the illusion of free will. either that or god can be surprised, in which case he isnt omniscient.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:No Zack.....because god ALREADY knows your choices...surely that leaves only the illusion of free will. either that or god can be surprised, in which case he isnt omniscient.

That's not Islamic philosophy. As I said, you have no free will in Islam, just choice. If you're using choice and will interchangeably, then you're failing to grasp what I'm saying.

If I know your future but don't tell you, then you are free to live your life as you would have deemed fit.

Telling you, takes away your freedom to choose honestly. That is what God is testing.

in which case god is a sadist...he creates a soul which he knows will sin then frys it for ever ???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 pm

moreover...if you have no free will, then your "choices" are fixed...you cannot "choose" freely since the choice you make is predetermined....If you are "born to sin then you will sin, no choice in the matter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 pm

I think you fail to grasp the point zack....

IF you have no free will, then your actions have already been predetermined, you are like a programmed robot and you simply cannot make a truely "free" choice.

secondly theres no "blaming god" in that respect...BUT he already knows what your choices will be for good or ill.

SO, if you choose ill then god knows you would have done that even before you were created,,,
therefor for him to "choose to create" you , knowing that he will then eventually fry you is NOT the actions of a kind and loving god...better that he never created you...

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:I think you fail to grasp the point zack....

IF you have no free will, then your actions have already been predetermined, you are like a programmed robot and you simply cannot make a truely "free" choice.

secondly theres no "blaming god" in that respect...BUT he already knows what your choices will be for good or ill.

SO, if you choose ill then god knows you would have done that even before you were created,,,
therefor for him to "choose to create" you , knowing that he will then eventually fry you is NOT the actions of a kind and loving god...better that he never created you...

Is anyone or God forcing you to act right now?

He knows what you're going to do - but he still gives you the freedom to choose.

If you didn't have that freedom, you would not be human. But an automaton (or angel).

What you would like to do is hand over the responsibility of your actions just because God knew what you were going to do. Don't you know how ridiculously childish that sounds?

God says, man up! No one forced you either way.

IT is still sadistic as Victor says. Ok so we 'choose' our path you say- but God already knows the path you will choose; like he is watching a rerun over and over of a film he made- he knows how it ends, he knows millions will burn in hell, and simply allows us to think we are making our own spontaneous choice- when in fact he himself designed those millions to fail and burn- that is as sadistic an idea as ever I heard...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 pm

perhaps not, but he then has no right to fry me if i choose wrong....he made me, and he knew what i would do...

thats like inviting some one to a game and not "quite" explaining the rules..
plus you are invoking a circular argument here...

there is no logic in what you say

you can do good or ill...your choice
do good go to paradise
do ill go to hell (or whatever)
BUT god knows what you will do
therefore whatever you do is already fixed, you cannot change it (because to do so would "surprise" god and deny his omniscience)
therefore you actually have NO choice since at each moment of choice you cannot do other than what "god knows you will do" (this is not "forcing" as in standing over someone with a sharp pointy instrument, more you are helpless in your choice because of the above statement)

This problem ONLY arises because god is omniscient what he sees will be WILL be...no matter what. The fact he is outside of space and time is irrelevant. The moment you invoke omniscience AND creating souls in the same consideration, you HAVE to raise the question of gods own morality.

IF you have free choice AND you have the possibility of choosing ill AND you have a god that KNOWS what you will do, then any talk of punishment by that god, makes a mockery of a "loving god"
IF this god "loved " his creations so much he would NOT dish out infinite punishment for finite "bad choices" OR he would not create those souls he knew ahead of time to be "pre damned"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

IT is still sadistic as Victor says. Ok so we 'choose' our path you say- but God already knows the path you will choose; like he is watching a rerun over and over of a film he made- he knows how it ends, he knows millions will burn in hell, and simply allows us to think we are making our own spontaneous choice- when in fact he himself designed those millions to fail and burn- that is as sadistic an idea as ever I heard...

There's a critical error in your film analogy. God made the film and the video player. But you make the content, as far as your actions are concerned.

What's so sadistic about that? Would you rather be forced or pre-programmed to act a certain way? Do you want to give away your ability to act independently? That's sounds like a prison or communism. Surely that is sadistic.

Sorry Zack there is no flaw in this analogy because this deity is the producer an director of the film and tells people exactly how to act, in other words as he is meant to have created you, he knows exactly how you will act, you have thus been designed that way, all the choices have been predetermined in advance, who you meet, who you interact with, what events will make you decide thus the choices he has already designed within you, because he knows what you will decide.

As Victor says, you cannot choose different to how this deity knows is going to happen, I never read that if it was a choice this deity sees variable outcomes for your choices, have you?
If not then everything is set in stone, if we are to take the view of the deity, you thus really have no choice, you are thus designed to act and choose which has already been designed for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

There's a critical error in your film analogy. God made the film and the video player. But you make the content, as far as your actions are concerned.

What's so sadistic about that? Would you rather be forced or pre-programmed to act a certain way? Do you want to give away your ability to act independently? That's sounds like a prison or communism. Surely that is sadistic.

I don't want that no, but I don't face that contradiction in my view of how the world is. I am well aware of my own free will to make decisions (though science I am sure could explain certain impulses haha). However, as has been said, God makes us all, apparently with free will- but he knows exactly what we will do; therefore at the start of it all, in our original creation at the hands of God he must have made us to make certain choices.

To try to describe what I mean. God makes a man. He knows as he is making him that this man WILL murder one day. Therefore SOMETHING God did in making that man is or will impel him to murder. The man will go to hell and burn forever. God knew he would kill when he made him; therefore God made a killer who would burn in hell. Why?

Even if God is powerless to not make killers(?) at best he makes people with free will, knowing instantly whether they are going to be good or bad; and know they will burn. Which still has an element of coldness to it. He watches us as babies, watches a person turn to evil, watches them do evil and then opens the gates of hell obligingly  scratch

Last edited by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:perhaps not, but he then has no right to fry me if i choose wrong....he made me, and he knew what i would do...

thats like inviting some one to a game and not "quite" explaining  the rules..

do good go to paradise
therefore whatever you do is already fixed, you cannot change it (because to do so would "surprise" god and deny his omniscience)
therefore you actually have NO choice since at each moment of choice you cannot do other than what "god knows you will do" (this is not "forcing" as in standing over someone with a sharp pointy instrument, more you are helpless in your choice because of the above statement)

This problem ONLY arises because god is omniscient what he sees will be WILL be...no matter what. The fact he is outside of space and time is irrelevant. The moment you invoke omniscience AND creating souls in the same consideration, you HAVE to raise the question of gods own morality.

IF you have free choice AND you have the possibility of choosing ill AND you have a god that KNOWS what you will do, then any talk of punishment by that god, makes a mockery of a "loving god"
IF this god "loved " his creations so much he would NOT dish out infinite punishment for finite "bad choices" OR he would not create those souls he knew ahead of time to be "pre damned"

Logic is an argument to expose the truth. Like I've said, why don't you analyse your actual life first before speculating fallaciously.

Does God force you to act in a certain way? It would be sadistic if he does but he quite clearly doesn't.

You are living in the forward arrow of time. God is not bound by space or time. You are being tested on the intention behind your choices without any foreknowledge.

Having foreknowledge means you can change your actions but that would not be an honest expression of yourself. God has given you the ability to express yourself honestly.  

It still sounds like yup would like to handover the responsibility of your actions. Imagine a child saying to their parent, "it's because the you raised me". Lol! That rational wouldn't was in a court of law, yet you expect the same argument to stand in the ultimate court. Does that sound logical to you?

We don't want to hand over responsibility. The point is God knows the outcome. If the outcome is set at the moment of our creation then free choice becomes a farce. WE may not know the answer but GOD does- meaning that choice becomes an illusion, we will always go exactly as fate intends.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:perhaps not, but he then has no right to fry me if i choose wrong....he made me, and he knew what i would do...

thats like inviting some one to a game and not "quite" explaining  the rules..

do good go to paradise

Logic is an argument to expose the truth. Like I've said, why don't you analyse your actual life first before speculating fallaciously.

Does God force you to act in a certain way? It would be sadistic if he does but he quite clearly doesn't.

You are living in the forward arrow of time. God is not bound by space or time. You are being tested on the intention behind your choices without any foreknowledge.

Having foreknowledge means you can change your actions but that would not be an honest expression of yourself. God has given you the ability to express yourself honestly.  

It still sounds like yup would like to handover the responsibility of your actions. Imagine a child saying to their parent, "it's because the you raised me". Lol! That rational wouldn't was in a court of law, yet you expect the same argument to stand in the ultimate court. Does that sound logical to you?

Again that is not even logical because now you are comparing parents to an all knowing deity, where parents do not even know how at times their child ill act, you are using then human actions to back an argument on an all knowing deity, sorry they do not even come close to being a comparison Zack.
You still cannot escape the undeniable point here which is how can people really have a choice if it has already been planned, because to know all future events would mean everything has been planned, that takes away any free will or action you have. What you thus think is you choosing would thus already have been planned in advance as to what you would do, because it is seen in advance, thus planned

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:34 pm

All the above would still be planned, the choices would be planned.

Interesting though, in your faith how many would be screwed over wanting to just have sex with someone, the intent would be there but they do not act upon it, thus many would be condemned for adultery if married, even if they do not commit the act but thought and intent of committing this constant, to me that is daft!

That means this deity would condemn you for having sexual fantasies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Call it free will or choice; the fact is from the beginning God/Allah, KNOWS what your will will be and what choices you will make- he knows whether you end up in heaven or hell. If a path is predetermined then the will you exercise is illusionary- you may know in your mind what your intent is, you may even know it is bad (you may however be insane, driven by emotional damage, greed, anger etc)- but then so did God- he knew you would do that before you even existed...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Again that is not even logical because now you are comparing parents to an all knowing deity, where parents do not even know how at times their child ill act, you are using then human actions to back an argument on an all knowing deity, sorry they do not even come close to being a comparison Zack.
You still cannot escape the undeniable point here which is how can people really have a choice if it has already been planned, because to know all future events would mean everything has been planned, that takes away any free will or action you have. What you thus think is you choosing would thus already have been planned in advance as to what you would do, because it is seen in advance, thus planned

I am using human action as an analogy so you can relate. All analogies fall down somewhere.

Again - nothing is planned. Just known. There's a fundamental difference.

Like I've said before, if I know you're future and tell you, you can change your action but that would take away your freedom to make an honest choice.

It's really that simple.

There is no difference Zack, how can something be known to happen and then not happen?

Do we know at some point the sun will die?
Yes, do we also know we at some point will die? Yes, do we have a choice in the matter?
No.
These are things we know will happen and yet cannot change they will happen can we?

If you have choice you would be able to change the future that is set

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Zack I doubt you are going to convince Eilzel Victor or myself, because logic shows such a view you are claiming is not logical. Fair enough it is your faith and you believe that and I respect that, but it has no logic to it what so ever to now make a view on intent, when if all is known, that intent is already programmed into you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

We don't want to hand over responsibility. The point is God knows the outcome. If the outcome is set at the moment of our creation then free choice becomes a farce. WE may not know the answer but GOD does- meaning that choice becomes an illusion, we will always go exactly as fate intends.

You will go the way your fate intended. Even. Physics has proved that using Einsteins equations.

I will say again: you are not judged on the outcome but your intention. You are in control of your intention. And if you didn't intend an action, you will not be judged - regardless of the outcome.

Just because I (or God) knows what you will intend in the future, does not take away your power to make that intention.

You are fuzzing the concepts fuzz  Cool 

I don't believe in fate Zack; I do believe our brains are all individually 'wired' a certain way so that in that 'sense' we don't really have free will, we are at the whims of chemicals of the mind- but to all intents and purposes from a materialistic/atheistic view point, we do. Since there is no judge or heaven or hell it doesn't matter what our intention is after we are dead.

However a theist is faced with a problem. You say now it is intent that matters. And bad intent, is totally (from your pov) of the will of the individual. So a persons intent can condemn them to hell? But it matters not whether we talk of intent or actions- again God knows whether you go to hell or not from the off. Presumably 'hell' is an actual place (even if not material but spiritual) and Allah knows person X, who he made on X date (in Earth time) WILL go to hell. Talk of intentions or actions- that person was destined to burn before they were born- their actions AND intentions WILL lead them there, and Allah always knew they would.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

There is no difference Zack, how can something be known to happen and then not happen?

Do we know at some point the sun will die?
Yes, do we also know we at some point will die? Yes, do we have a choice in the matter?
No.
These are things we know will happen and yet cannot change they will happen can we?

If you have choice you would be able to change the future that is set

Dude, of course there's a difference between being forced to act and knowing how someone will act.

If you can't get that basic difference, then I can't help you. Not sure even God can help you.  cheers 

God has the advantage of being outside the bounds of time. You don't and have to follow the arrow of time. But at no point has anyone or thing taken your ability to choose how to act. Have they?

Zack nobody would have a concept to what God is, let alone your claim to being outside the bounds of time, you are playing up to a notion your faith claims to teach, again if the future is set in stone by this deity, all intents and actions are programmed into you, meaning many people are fucked from the start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

ive provided you with several examples of predestination from different sections of the Qur'an AND one of the hadith to support it

but here it is just for you

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;
Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
Master of the Day of Judgment.
Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.
Show us the straight way,
The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.

nothing in there about free will

Exactly. Hallelujah Smelly baby, I think you're getting it.

Free will belongs to God - ie he can 'show' you the straight path.

But you have to 'choose' to walk down that path or deviate. Hence you have free choice to commit sin or not.

are you dismissing the rest of the qur'an and the hadiths that talk about predestination??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:No Zack.....because god ALREADY knows your choices...surely that leaves only the illusion of free will. either that or god can be surprised, in which case he isnt omniscient.

That's not Islamic philosophy. As I said, you have no free will in Islam, just choice. If you're using choice and will interchangeably, then you're failing to grasp what I'm saying.

If I know your future but don't tell you, then you are free to live your life as you would have deemed fit.

Telling you, takes away your freedom to choose honestly. That is what God is testing.

no free will but you have a choice??

how the fuck does that work??

youre starting down your self destructive path again where you argue yourself into a corner that defies all logic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:Good night.

::slap::  ::rfth:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:Why do atheists always bombard me with questions?

I'm not God.  :D 

Fascination Zack. It is incomprehensible to us that people can believe and not question. I am actually interested in religion in general. I find these discussions, however much neither side will ever come round to the others way of thing; fascinating.

goodnight  Smile

Last edited by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:Zack I doubt you are going to convince Eilzel Victor or myself, because logic shows such a view you are claiming is not logical. Fair enough it is your faith and you believe that and I respect that, but it has no logic to it what so ever to now make a view on intent, when if all is known, that intent is already programmed into you.

Like I said to Victor, logic is meant to represent real life. You surely admit nobody is making a choice for you? So how is intent preprogrammed?

What you're saying is that just because God or Mystic Meg (is she still alive?) knows what my intentions will be and how I will act, it is their fault for how I acted. Does that really sound logical to you?

Anyway - tbc tomorrow.

Never said I am programmed because I do not believe in God, though the concept of an all knowing deity would make you programmed from the off. The part you miss is that this deity is meant to have created everything and that would include the whole expanse of time and existence, which means all is planned in advance.

Something so annoying when growing up, "why did she die?" "God has a plan" the answer to anything where religion cannot really answer awkward issues, knowing full well, it shows the conception of a deity has flaws

Take care Zack and see you tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:03 pm

nite zack...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:04 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:Its not weird at all.

Didge likes to debate and is intrigued by peoples belief.

Don't you have any integrity at all??

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

@Zack
NOPE omniscient means he KNOWS Already it is not about telling your future, He KNOWS your choice (indeed he MADE your choice) before you even knew a choice existed. That what it means by ALL KNOWING, ALL POWERFUL GOD.

While the Koran is a better written text than the Bible it is still just a ridiculous. the idea of a monotheist deity that is ALL KNOWING and ALL POWERFUL is quite illogical.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:29 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Fuzzy Zack wrote:

You will go the way your fate intended. Even. Physics has proved that using Einsteins equations.

I will say again: you are not judged on the outcome but your intention. You are in control of your intention. And if you didn't intend an action, you will not be judged - regardless of the outcome.

Just because I (or God) knows what you will intend in the future, does not take away your power to make that intention.

You are fuzzing the concepts fuzz Cool

I don't believe in fate Zack; I do believe our brains are all individually 'wired' a certain way so that in that 'sense' we don't really have free will, we are at the whims of chemicals of the mind- but to all intents and purposes from a materialistic/atheistic view point, we do. Since there is no judge or heaven or hell it doesn't matter what our intention is after we are dead.

However a theist is faced with a problem. You say now it is intent that matters. And bad intent, is totally (from your pov) of the will of the individual. So a persons intent can condemn them to hell? But it matters not whether we talk of intent or actions- again God knows whether you go to hell or not from the off. Presumably 'hell' is an actual place (even if not material but spiritual) and Allah knows person X, who he made on X date (in Earth time) WILL go to hell. Talk of intentions or actions- that person was destined to burn before they were born- their actions AND intentions WILL lead them there, and Allah always knew they would.

Nope, most polytheists Do not believe the gods are omniscient, that issue is restricted to monotheists (and even then it is not an issue if you believe in a non-caring god). Far more options in religion than just is there a god or not. farao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengrism
Tengri is an example from Mongol/Turks of a non-caring god (the rainbow serpent is another) they exist because they exist their concerns are far beyond the comprehension of humans. We are to them, like Ants are to us.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

You are fuzzing the concepts fuzz  Cool

However a theist is faced with a problem. You say now it is intent that matters. And bad intent, is totally (from your pov) of the will of the individual. So a persons intent can condemn them to hell? But it matters not whether we talk of intent or actions- again God knows whether you go to hell or not from the off. Presumably 'hell' is an actual place (even if not material but spiritual) and Allah knows person X, who he made on X date (in Earth time) WILL go to hell. Talk of intentions or actions- that person was destined to burn before they were born- their actions AND intentions WILL lead them there, and Allah always knew  they would.

Nope, most polytheists Do not believe the gods are omniscient, that issue is restricted to monotheists (and even then it is not an issue if you believe in a non-caring god).  Far more options in religion than just is there a god or not.  farao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengrism
Tengri is an example from Mongol/Turks of a non-caring god (the rainbow serpent is another) they exist because they exist their concerns are far beyond the comprehension of humans. We are to them, like Ants are to us.

Thanks for that  lol! 

Perhaps I should have specified Monotheist; though 'theism' is usually understood thesedays to refer to a monotheism- and a personal God at that, as opposed to a Deist (which is more agreeable but still irrational imo).

Pedantism, sheesh  Razz 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Fuzzy Zack wrote:

@Zack
NOPE omniscient means he KNOWS Already it is not about telling your future, He KNOWS your choice (indeed he MADE your choice) before you even knew a choice existed.  That what it means by ALL KNOWING, ALL POWERFUL GOD.

While the Koran is a better written text than the Bible it is still just a ridiculous. the idea of a monotheist deity that is ALL KNOWING and ALL POWERFUL is quite illogical.  

Better written text than the bible??

Clearly you've never read either

You do not seem to know that the qur'an isn't arranged in a chronological order

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 pm

@Eilzel

I have no problem with believing there is 'something greater than ourselves', but IF someone is going to try and define it they better bloody well make sure it is right. So far none of the organised religions have done a good job... but they have all managed to promote corruption and paedophile. So, on Balance I propose to 'Ban the organising of Religion', let people believe whatever they want but do not let them preach it unless they can PROVE it is true.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:59 pm

veya_victaous wrote:@Eilzel

I have no problem with believing there is 'something greater than ourselves', but IF someone is going to try and define it they better bloody well make sure it is right. So far none of the organised religions have done a good job... but they have all managed to promote corruption and paedophile. So, on Balance I propose to 'Ban the organising of Religion', let people believe whatever they want but do not let them preach it unless they can PROVE it is true.

Well I don't agree on there being something higher than ourselves, I think it unlikely. But as you will agree that is very much a personal belief we all come to different conclusions.

I'd agree on the rest however  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:06 am

@smelly
Umm it is presented in the order it was written. the worst stuff is all at the front when Mohammad was an Angry young man 'the cow' is one verse that particularly comes to mind for it's jew-hate, the middle is more about governance as it was written in middle age. The End is all about Peace and love as it is the writing of an old man content with his life.

I have not only read, I own copies of all these texts. My Koran is currently on lone to someone that was reading over my shoulder while I was writing the other day (I'm pretty sure in this thread). Mine is a Penguin Educational print which I know some Muslims suggest is not the most flattering translation, but it has good notes and I personally didn’t find it too bad.

Have you read the Iliad or Aeneid? Both are older texts and fantastically written, they are examples of GOOD texts from that time period. the Bible is terribly written because it has multiple Authors (that’s why different sections are named after the Different Authors Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ) it has paragraphs that just end(because someone has obviously edited it out) an sentences that are obviously inserted Centuries afterwards as they use different lingual and sentence structures than most of the bible and other texts from that time period. Plus now that we have recovered some Earlier Bibles those Sentences (indeed entire paragraphs) are not contained in them.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:12 am

Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:@Eilzel

Well I don't agree on there being something higher than ourselves, I think it unlikely. But as you will agree that is very much a personal belief we all come to different conclusions.

I'd agree on the rest however  Smile 

the Sun  Wink  Black holes   Exclamation   Gravity   Question  Animus  tongue 
Plenty of examples

The sun is a good one, 'he' heats us, grows our food, defrosts our water, grants us light Yet he asks nothing in return. Much nicer than the Christian god don't ya think ?  Wink  You can see him and everything I said about him is true, But I'm not sure if the sun has a gender  Suspect 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next