NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Castaway Washes Up After '16 Months Adrift'

Go down

Castaway Washes Up After '16 Months Adrift' Empty Castaway Washes Up After '16 Months Adrift'

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:18 pm

A castaway has washed up in the remote Marshall Islands claiming he drifted at sea for more than a year - travelling 8,000 miles from where he set sail.

The Mexican man, who identified himself as Jose Ivan, is said to be recovering on Ebon Atoll after the ordeal, surviving by eating turtles, birds and fish and drinking turtle blood when there was no rain.

He had no fishing equipment on the boat, suggesting the man caught food with his bare hands.

Locals discovered Mr Ivan when his 24-foot fibreglass boat with propellerless engines floated onto a reef. He had long hair and a beard and was wearing only ragged underpants.

He told his rescuers he set sail from Mexico for El Salvador in September 2012 and had been floating in the ocean ever since.

He claimed he had a friend with him but he died many months ago.

Ebon mayor Ione de Brum said: "We've been feeding him nutritious island food and he's getting better. He has pain in both knees so he cannot stand up by himself. Otherwise, he's OK."

De Brum said she was communicating with the man using drawings because he cannot speak English and she does not speak Spanish.

http://news.sky.com/story/1204713/castaway-washes-up-after-16-months-adrift

Back to top Go down

Castaway Washes Up After '16 Months Adrift' Empty Re: Castaway Washes Up After '16 Months Adrift'

Post by eddie Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Yeah I bet.....His friend died many months ago...Pfffff!

He ate him. That's what.

Still, I do admire people that survive on islands and boats and stuff. It fascinates me. It makes you wonder if everyone has that strong survivor's instinct?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Castaway Washes Up After '16 Months Adrift' Empty Re: Castaway Washes Up After '16 Months Adrift'

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:21 pm

eddie wrote:Yeah I bet.....His friend died many months ago...Pfffff!

He ate him. That's what.

Still, I do admire people that survive on islands and boats and stuff. It fascinates me. It makes you wonder if everyone has that strong survivor's instinct?

you say that like its a bad thing?? Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down