NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thomas Tallis School Forced To Apologise After Students Asked To Pen Suicide Note In English Class

Go down

Thomas Tallis School Forced To Apologise After Students Asked To Pen Suicide Note In English Class Empty Thomas Tallis School Forced To Apologise After Students Asked To Pen Suicide Note In English Class

Post by Guest Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:07 am

‘On what universe was it ever, under any circumstances, a good idea?’

A London secondary school has been forced to apologise after pupils were told to write suicide notes as part of an English lesson. Year 8 students at Thomas Tallis School in Blackheath were asked to complete the assignment - which has been branded “insensitive” by parents - while studying Shakespeare’s Macbeth. Lady Macbeth takes her own life after the power-hungry pair seize the Scottish throne.

But the school, which received a “Good” rating in its last Ofsted inspection, caused outrage among parents when it asked English students to pen their own suicide note while pretending to be Lady Macbeth. One furious mother told News Shopper that her daughter, who has lost three friends to suicide, was one of the pupils asked to carry out the assignment.

“On what universe was it ever, under any situation, a good idea to ask a group of teenagers to write suicide notes?” she said.

“At least two classes have done this assignment. My daughter is very outspoken but there are other kids not as vocal who might be suffering from depressions.

“I support them addressing suicide but it should be in a supportive environment.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/thomas-tallis-school-apologise-students-suicide-note-english-class_uk_594ce3f6e4b02734df29b7d3?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Thomas Tallis School Forced To Apologise After Students Asked To Pen Suicide Note In English Class Empty Re: Thomas Tallis School Forced To Apologise After Students Asked To Pen Suicide Note In English Class

Post by Syl Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:33 pm

The article says..."Headteacher Carolyn Roberts said the exercise will not be repeated again at the school, despite pointing out that an Ofsted officer had praised the exercise in the past."  

Makes me wonder who the heck is picked to become on the board of Ofsted if they approve of such school exercises.

Suicide in youngsters is a real worry, talking and discussing about reasons kids may feel like this is a good thing, actually being asked to put yourself in the shoes of a suicidal person and writing from that aspect is totally wrong.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Thomas Tallis School Forced To Apologise After Students Asked To Pen Suicide Note In English Class Empty Re: Thomas Tallis School Forced To Apologise After Students Asked To Pen Suicide Note In English Class

Post by Guest Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Syl wrote:The article says..."Headteacher Carolyn Roberts said the exercise will not be repeated again at the school, despite pointing out that an Ofsted officer had praised the exercise in the past."  

Makes me wonder who the heck is picked to become on the board of Ofsted if they approve of such school exercises.

Suicide in youngsters is a real worry, talking and discussing about reasons kids may feel like this is a good thing, actually being asked to put yourself in the shoes of a suicidal person and writing from that aspect is totally  wrong.

Which is the point Syl, who is monitoring those within Ofsted itself?
I despair at what is happening within the teaching curriculum today in some quarters.
Some are even calling to reduce the number of subjects children should study.
It steers away more and more to challenge students and instead mollycoddles them.
This though as just plain stupid on every quarter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:59 pm

I remember reading about a respected Ofsted member a year or so back whos ideas were ridiculous and dangerous...cant remember details I will look it up later.
I worry that some head teachers agree to this sort of lesson, surely on every level everyone can see its wrong.
I wonder whether some people actually live in the real world with real problems.....maybe they don't have kids or young people in their personal lives so cant empathise properly.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Syl wrote:I remember reading about a respected Ofsted member a year or so back whos ideas were ridiculous and dangerous...cant remember details I will look it up later.
I worry that some head teachers agree to this sort of lesson, surely on every level everyone can see its wrong.
I wonder whether some people actually live in the real world with real problems.....maybe they don't have kids or young people in their personal lives so cant empathise properly.

The mind boggles at who comes up with these ideas Syl.
Be interested to read that article if you find it

Anyway, have a lovely day, catch you later.

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down