NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katy Perry apologises for cultural appropriation in past music video

3 posters

Go down

Katy Perry apologises for cultural appropriation in past music video Empty Katy Perry apologises for cultural appropriation in past music video

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Katy Perry has apologised appropriating black culture in her past music videos.

During a sit down with Black Lives Matter activist Deray Mckesson, Uproxx reports that the US singer stated she is guilty of cultural appropriation admitting she benefits from white privilege.

Perry, who promoted new record Witness by live-streaming her entire weekend, originally drew criticism for the music video of 2014 single 'This Is How We Do' which showed the singer wearing cornrows and eating a watermelon. She told Mckesson how it was a friend who made her realise how impactful the statement was.

“She told me about the power in black women’s hair and how beautiful it is and the struggle,” Perry said. “I didn’t know that I did it wrong until I heard people saying that I did it wrong. It takes someone to say, out of compassion, out of love, ‘Hey, this is what the origin is.'”

Perry continued: “I listened and I heard and I didn’t know. I won’t ever understand some of those things because of who I am. I will never understand, but I can educate myself and that’s what I’m trying to do along the way.”

Mckessen listened as Perry admitted: “I have lots of white privilege.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/katy-perry-apologises-for-cultural-appropriation-music-video-this-is-how-we-do-witness-a7785411.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Katy Perry apologises for cultural appropriation in past music video Empty Re: Katy Perry apologises for cultural appropriation in past music video

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:27 pm

She also apologised for dressing as a Geisha.

Will somebody pull up Beyonce for having straight blonde hair?

Or perhaps we should all stop cooking curries and Chinese meals?

Perhaps nobody should get a tan in case we're appropriating darker skin colours.

Perhaps white people should stop dancing to ethnic music and wearing sarongs?

I thought we were all trying to 'integrate'?

What a load of fucking bullshit.

Here's the offending imagery. She doesn't have a corn rows, she's got a plait and the watermelon is probably what most people eat on a boiling hot day on a sunbed round the pool. I could understand it if she was blacked up in a cotton field.... but this is ridiculous.

Katy Perry apologises for cultural appropriation in past music video Article-2712327-2028E6D500000578-731_638x353

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Katy Perry apologises for cultural appropriation in past music video Empty Re: Katy Perry apologises for cultural appropriation in past music video

Post by eddie Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't get it either. It's just taking things a step too far and making something out of nothing.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Is she a bit mad? I can't see any cornrows in the video.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Is she a bit mad? I can't see any cornrows in the video.

He took the piss big time out of her stupidity and also did so here

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down