NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wakefield wheelchair user refused space on bus

2 posters

Go down

Wakefield wheelchair user refused space on bus Empty Wakefield wheelchair user refused space on bus

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:23 pm

A wheelchair user was refused space on a bus because a pushchair was on board, days after the Supreme Court ruled on the issue.

Kirsty Shepherd, from Wakefield, West Yorkshire, said the Arriva driver told her she could not get on, even though there was enough room.

It came five days after the Supreme Court said bus drivers must be more accommodating to wheelchair users.
Arriva Buses said it was investigating "as a matter of urgency".

Ms Shepherd said the woman with the pushchair on the Rothwell to Wakefield bus was happy to move, but the driver still would not let her on.

In the case that went to the Supreme Court, wheelchair user Doug Paulley took action against First Bus after he was refused entry to a bus in 2012 when a mother with a pushchair would not move.

The bus had a sign saying: "Please give up this space if needed for a wheelchair user."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-38795688

Back to top Go down

Wakefield wheelchair user refused space on bus Empty Re: Wakefield wheelchair user refused space on bus

Post by Syl Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Stories like this make me fume. Mad

I think it's well accepted that some bus drivers are ignorant arseholes, sometimes I think it must be a requirement for the job. There was NO reason the woman should not have been allowed on the bus, The mother with the push chair made room for her....he was just being an ignorant power hungry prat.

What makes it worse...other passengers were just thinking of themselves, why did no one speak out for her?
Some told her to wait and get the next bus......horrible people.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Wakefield wheelchair user refused space on bus Empty Re: Wakefield wheelchair user refused space on bus

Post by eddie Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Wheelchair users are actually supposed to take precedence over pushchairs and prams. I know this because I've been refused myself when I had a pram.
I'd always, always let a wheelchair user take my place, I wouldn't need to be told or asked.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down