NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not

+5
veya_victaous
Original Quill
nicko
eddie
Ben Reilly
9 posters

Go down

Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not Empty Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not Image

Everyone deserves to eat, no questions asked – that’s the motto at Marché Restaurant Ferdous.

The restaurant on Ste. Catherine St. W offers free food to those who can't afford to pay for a meal.

“People sometimes come here, you have no idea by their look that they need the food and they're shy or they don't believe in such things. So we told the cook, ‘Don't ask any questions; do not judge them.’ If they ask, just give them the food, that's it, that's all,” said co-owner Yahya Hashemi.

The owners posted a sign months ago after noticing a number of homeless people in the area asking for spare change and in need of a warm meal.

“Especially when it's cold, they just want to eat,” said Hashemi.

Chicken shawarma, lentil soup and a variety of Middle Eastern delicacies are all on the table.

“It doesn't matter, because at night if you still have leftover food you end up throwing it out, so why not give to those in need? It's not a big deal,” said chef Abdelkader Bejaoui.

“It's just a sandwich, right, it's not life changing to most people, but to some people, it means they won't go to bed hungry and that to me spoke mountains about it,” said customer Sean Jalbert.

“We have to reflect our real image of Islam and Muslim people, immigrants who want to work hard and participate in this great country to contribute in its economy and social tissue,” said co-owner Ala Amiry. “It's part of religion, this kind of tradition. You have to give to the people if you want the blessing from God.”

They're hoping the good deed inspires other restaurants to do the same.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-restaurant-offers-free-food-to-anyone-who-needs-it-1.3226522
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not Empty Re: Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not

Post by eddie Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Lovely! I simply love hearing stuff like this, and I'd like to think I'd be able to do exactly the same if I had an establishment like that.

I think all sandwhich shops should leave their unsold sandwiches and cakes in a box in their doorways when they close. It feeds people and it just makes perfect sense to me.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not Empty Re: Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not

Post by nicko Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Nice idea Eddie, but some greedy sods would take the lot and flog 'em on.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:08 pm

I like the sentiment, too.  But it's really government's job to take care of the less fortunate.  I'm sure it's unpopular to say this, but charity relieves the urgency on the government to do it's job.  

It's especially bad when the capitalist termites are in there gnawing away at the edifice of society...like pharmas and the healthcare industry.  Charity permits them to go about their sweet, destructive jobs with impunity.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 pm

there is a charity down here that basically does this, it goes around to a bunch of cafes and restaurants and collect the left overs at the end of the day which it distributes to homeless and needy.

Although Quill has a point this has a double benefit of reducing wastage too Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:54 pm

Major wrote:Leftovers which customers leave on their plates to leftovers from the kitchen which are not eaten?????

I would expect that any licensed restaurant would follow the laws of hygiene.  Leftovers would mean unopened excess loaves of bread, cans of soup and vegetables, unopened sacks of potatoes, untouched perishables that will spoil if not consumed.  

Leftovers need not mean garbage in an institutional setting...although that may be what is thought of in the home refrigerator. .

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm

I once had I job in a Hotel in Stratford, A large cauldron was kept bubbling on a stove in the kitchen. Into this cauldron was tipped all the scrapings from leftovers on customers plates.After being filtered,

It was printed on the Menu's as,-------Soup of the Day !!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm

“People sometimes come here, you have no idea by their look that they need the food and they're shy or they don't believe in such things. So we told the cook, ‘Don't ask any questions; do not judge them.’ If they ask, just give them the food, that's it, that's all,” said co-owner Yahya Hashemi.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:42 pm

nicko wrote:I once had I job in a Hotel in Stratford,   A large cauldron was kept bubbling on a stove in the kitchen.   Into this cauldron was tipped all the scrapings from leftovers on customers plates.After being filtered,

It was printed on the Menu's as,-------Soup of the Day  !!

So that's what it is about English cooking. What a Face

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 pm

alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien alien
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Fuck off. My cooking is supreme.
I do not, eat leftover food-soup.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Only the Soup Quill, only the Soup.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:14 pm

nicko wrote:Only the Soup Quill, only the Soup.

Well...patterns doe tend to repeat themselves. And given English cooking... Smile

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Major wrote:Leftovers which customers leave on their plates to leftovers from the kitchen which are not eaten?????

Kitchen leftovers.
most Cafes will prepare ingredients, premade sandwiches etc in the morning between the coffee rush and lunch rush. inevitably there is some that don't get sold
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:17 am

What's wrong with English cooking? better than some of that crap you see "arranged on a plate" on TV programs!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:18 pm

nicko wrote:What's wrong with English cooking?     better than some of that crap you see "arranged on a plate" on TV programs!

Bland mush...although, I can't speak for the French or Italians when it comes to nutrition.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Quill, have you ever had Cod and Chips with Mushy Peas,
if not you haven't lived !

nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:15 pm

nicko wrote:Quill, have you ever had Cod and Chips with Mushy Peas,

The English do good with fish and chips, tho the Scots do it better. But things like that and bangers, etc, are like fast food...not real meals. The English can murder roast beef or chicken, and they have no real recipes anyway; Not like the French.

I don't detest English cooking, but sometime try Coquilles Saint Jacques au vin blanc or Recette Gratin De Pates Au Poulet...

Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not Noix-de-saint-jacques-au-curry-5

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 pm

Quill I agree with you (that's about three times this year!).
English cooking, in the main, is shite. We do have some superb chefs of course, but all our best dishes now have a Mediterranean (my favourite) or a Caribbean or an Asian flavour to them. The traditional English fare has never, ever appealed to me. Even as a child I would put mustard or pepper on my food, then later the hot Caribbean sauces would go over my meat - didn't realise then, that it was the actual meat I disliked the flavour of.

Engish food is crap. I'm not even keen on fish and chips - too oily and I hate deep fried batter with a passion!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:30 pm

What you say is right on, eds. The best restaurant I found in London was Indian food. It was on Kensington High St.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:33 pm

eddie wrote:
Fuck off. My cooking is supreme.
I do not, eat leftover food-soup.

Idea

Of course you don't...

Everyone knows that the proper place for those leftovers is either meatloaf or a casserole..

Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not 3922118137
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:36 pm

nicko wrote:
Quill, have you ever had Cod and Chips with Mushy Peas,

Cool

Throw another kangaroo on the barbie...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Makes me hungry.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:20 pm

The pic of scallops has made my mouth water.....off to eat.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Do the English do beer batter or is that an Aussie thing?

beer battered Bream is my favorite type of fish and chips.
lighter and crunchier than normal batter
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:09 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not Image

Mad
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 pm

veya_victaous wrote:Do the English do beer batter or is that an Aussie thing?

I cook. Do you have a recipe?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Yes we do beer batter here.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:Montreal restaurant: Everyone eats whether they can pay or not Image

Mad

Look under his arm to where his belly should be... and you see a clear bit of dodgy photoshop jumper editing...

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:20 am

Original Quill wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:Do the English do beer batter or is that an Aussie thing?

I cook.  Do you have a recipe?

Here is a good one, for Plain beer batter just skip the spices.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/16323/paprika-and-beer-battered-fish.aspx
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:23 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I cook.  Do you have a recipe?

Here is a good one, for Plain beer batter just skip the spices.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/16323/paprika-and-beer-battered-fish.aspx

Ty veya.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down