NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veya's adventures at Milvern

+7
Cass
harvesmom
Victorismyhero
eddie
Bella
nicko
veya_victaous
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Empty Veya's adventures at Milvern

Post by veya_victaous Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought I'd start a thread to post some pics.
Milvern is the name of the farmhouse i bought and now living in, moved the last of my stuff in on Wednesday.

I am going to do a lot of work in the yards so thinking of taking some before and after photos. Plus there is heaps of interesting animals around.

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2012
Flock of Cockatoo

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2011
Toilet frog, cant have an old farm house with out a frog living in the second toilet Razz

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2013
Right by my front door, these little birds have made their nest, I think they are a type of finches

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2010
A weird deer, I have seen 2 other types that look more like stereotypical deer, this guy almost looks African confused
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Empty Re: Veya's adventures at Milvern

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I love venison.
Have you ever tried venison sausages Syl?

Yum

Nope, and I never will. I seldom eat meat Thor, I can see me giving meat up completely soon.

You never eat lamb, do you?

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Thornton-hall-farm-country

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Razz

Certainly spouts a lot of bull, doesn't she  ???

For someone claiming to consider going vegetarian,  she spouts a load of tripe..

Or maybe she's just plain chicken.

clown
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Nope, and I never will. I seldom eat meat Thor, I can see me giving meat up completely soon.

Hardly ever Quill......I mostly eat fish.......and every now and again chicken.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

into heavy metal are you Syl ?

lead
mercury
cadmium

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Syl wrote:

lead
mercury
cadmium

I like a bit of Black Sabbath rabbit ....last concert ever this weekend after 50 years.

My staple diet has always been fish, veg, salad (hence the iceberg withdrawal symptoms) and very little meat or fried stuff.....its served me well so far.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Iceburg lettuce is horrid.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:44 pm

eddie wrote:Iceburg lettuce is horrid.

It's the best....crispy and sweet. Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Iceberg-lettuce-2500
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:14 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Syl wrote:

lead
mercury
cadmium

Suspect

And we all know what those fish get up to in water...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:17 am

I do a lot of chicken breasts. My cardiologist has forbidden the fatty meats.

I do a lot of brussels sprouts, steamed. It's my favorite vegetable.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:04 am

Original Quill wrote:I do a lot of chicken breasts.  My cardiologist has forbidden the fatty meats.

I do a lot of brussels sprouts, steamed.  It's my favorite vegetable.

I love Brussels sprouts too, we are a rare breed.
Chicken is still quite fatty and oily - have you tried turkey instead?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:28 am

I love Sprouts when they are "crunchy" I would never eat shellfish,
they get their food by filtering water and taking out edible bits.
A lot of them live by sewage outfalls, guess what they eat?

Lets get on to "kebabs" the sort that rotate on spits in front of the heat. I have a friend who is a Butcher, he says they are made from bits of meat, any meat, even bits of guts and floor sweepings all compressed into a lump. Ever noticed the white bits contained in the meat?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:12 am

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:I do a lot of chicken breasts.  My cardiologist has forbidden the fatty meats.

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 3922118137

Lean 'Chicken' is only "fatty and oily" when it's prepared and cooked badly;  doubly so, with breasts and legs...

Pork is the only common family of meats that I would avoid on "fat" content alone...

On the other hand --   poultry, lamb, beef can all produce fatty cuts, especially if 'lot fed'..

What I would be more wary of with poultry -- in some markets over there -- would be femalemgrowth hormones, and possible antibiotic residues;   oh, and knowing that proper handling and storeage (refrigeration)  protocols are followed.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:38 pm

I'll keep that in mind when buying chicken, wolf.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:52 pm

eddie wrote:

I used to belong to a wine tasting group...people who love California wines.  We joined up with a sub-group of Kiwis/Ozzies who would hold occasional dinners of things we (personally) loved, but everyone else detested.  One Kiwi woman, who had a beautiful home in the Berkeley hills, at which we held these dinners, would cook a leg of lamb because she felt that everyone detested lamb.  The rest was pot-luck, with various dishes that each member felt the world hated, but he or she loved.

My contribution was brussles sprouts.  I blanched them, then baked them in a mustard sauce, sprinkled with gorgonzola cheese.  Sometimes I would add crumpled bacon.  Others had equally exotic recipes.  Great times.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Sprouts rule. king

But like mince pies and dates, they should be kept for Christmas ....they make Christmas fayre more enjoyable because they are not eaten all year round, not in my house anyway.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:04 pm

veya_victaous wrote:Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2020
Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2016
Fruit and Jam

and the pics of the house as you can see heaps of work to do in the yard, I have got he internals pretty much all good (exception being a bathroom that i will need to gut and re do) and i honest cant take too much credit as I am incredibly lucky to have a little brother that  is a professional shopfitter/cabinet maker
Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2014
Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2015
Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2018
Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2017

one of the old roses
Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 Img_2019
the front garden was obvious once a much loved English style garden with Old roses and camellias that have survived for about a decades of abandonment  
the house has been vacant for about 10 years before i bought it, the seller had re stumped and re roofed the house appanrent it was quite bad prior there are things that really give away the age the door frames are almost comically unsquare (fuck i am glad my brother is an ace with the plane and chisel Smile  

You lucky lucky man!!!!

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:26 pm

nicko wrote:I love Sprouts when they are "crunchy"    I would never eat shellfish,
A lot of them live by sewage outfalls,  guess what they eat?

Lets get on to "kebabs" the sort that rotate on spits in front of the heat.   I have a friend who is a Butcher,  he says they are made from bits of meat, any meat,  even bits of guts and floor sweepings all compressed into a lump.   Ever noticed the white bits contained in the meat?

like sausages....eye 'oles, ear 'oles and bum 'oles
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:54 am

Syl wrote:Why do you want to catch deer? You are not going to kill them to eat are you?? Sad

Well I don't have a gun so wasn't planning to kill them myself I have spears but I think that maybe necessarily cruel since I am not desperate for meat.
But would have called the neighbor over Wink and split them with him

Plus they are feral an introduced 'pest species' although on the scale of damaging pests they are pretty far down the list.
So generally they are only killed for food

I am Love Andrew Zimmerman's Bizarre foods show.
I was watching the bugs special and started considering catching some huntsman spider to chuck in a wok Razz Razz Razz Razz

Plus there a brown snake around that bit the neighbors cat, he got it to the vet in time anti venom, 2 days on a drip and $850 dollars later the cats is fine.
But If i catch it I'm gonna cook it and eat it. Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 3922118137 Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 3922118137 (the snake not the cat)
and how do hunt hyper venomous snakes? with a long handled plumbers shovel
of course Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 1366281442 Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 1366281442 Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 1366281442
The eastern brown snake is considered to be the second most venomous terrestrial snake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:58 am

Lord Foul wrote:
nicko wrote:I love Sprouts when they are "crunchy"    I would never eat shellfish,
A lot of them live by sewage outfalls,  guess what they eat?

Lets get on to "kebabs" the sort that rotate on spits in front of the heat.   I have a friend who is a Butcher,  he says they are made from bits of meat, any meat,  even bits of guts and floor sweepings all compressed into a lump.   Ever noticed the white bits contained in the meat?

like sausages....eye 'oles, ear 'oles and bum 'oles

whats wrong with them?
As long as they are cleaned out properly it's all good.
And Generally 'donar kebab' meat is the same as what is in lamb or beef sausages just a courser grind. Cool
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:48 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:Why do you want to catch deer? You are not going to kill them to eat are you?? Sad

Well I don't have a gun so wasn't planning to kill them myself I have spears but I think that maybe necessarily cruel since I am not desperate for meat.
But would have called the neighbor over Wink  and split them with him

Plus they are feral an introduced 'pest species' although on the scale of damaging pests they are pretty far down the list.
So generally they are only killed for food

I am Love Andrew Zimmerman's Bizarre foods show.
I was watching the bugs special and started considering catching some huntsman spider to chuck in a wok  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz

Plus there a brown snake around that bit the neighbors cat, he got it to the vet in time anti venom, 2 days on a drip and $850 dollars later the cats is fine.
But If i catch it I'm gonna cook it and eat it.  Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 3922118137  Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 3922118137 (the snake not the cat)
and how do hunt hyper venomous snakes? with a long handled plumbers shovel
of course   Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 1366281442  Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 1366281442  Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 1366281442
The eastern brown snake is considered to be the second most venomous terrestrial snake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

It sounds idyllic to be surrounded by so much wildlife....I could stand the snakes but not the spiders.
But to look out of your window and see wild deer grazing so close....that would be magical'

edit...just read the link about the brown snake...changed my mind. What a Face
So do you have snake antivenom where you live, just in case, or do you have to seek medical attention straight away?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:28 pm

You seek medical attention straight away.
You got a few hours to get to hospital if you don't panic and low pressure bandage and try to not move it (basically you want to limit blood flow to the area. to limit venom spreading)
the hospital is about 25mins(40kms) away but there is a first aider in town that keeps some for brown snakes and tiger snakes. (the 2 really dangerous ones around here) Anti-venom is not as simple as movies make out, it needs to kept refrigerated and only keeps for a few months and is expensive to make and there is limited supply so people are not encouraged to keep it unless necessary. And you really need to be put on a drip etc for a day or 2.

Snakes are not that much of the threat, If you are aware of your surroundings and take some basic precaution when moving rocks fallen timbre or other debris (basically snake homes). The main way people do get bitten is walking through long grass where you cant see them and you accidently step on one.

My biggest concern is that one of my dogs will find and corner or attack one (snakes will generally flee). Particularly if I'm at work as they will be dead by the time I get home.
With any luck the cat killed it when it got bitten. it is a big farm cat that catches rabbits like city cats catch mice.

P.s Spider are really not the threat foreigners think they are. most you don't need to seek medical attention. only really funnel web spiders and they live I holes in the ground, again if you are aware of your surrounding they are really a problem. redbacks are only really dangerous if they bite multiple times since they are small people have been known to have them in a shoe or something and get a dozen bites before realizing.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:55 am

Veya's adventures at Milvern - Page 2 3583224271

I was bitten by a Redback, way back in the late 1970s (it was nesting underneath a beehive, and bit me on the web of my thumb..).

Fuck me, that hurt at the time..

Made me a little woozy and fuzzy-headed for couple of days, but didn't need antivenene (First aid for Redbacks (and Black widows in N. America) is a cold pack, don't bandage, (don't bother washing the site immediately..), don't "cut and suck"; suction devices are worse than useless -- they can actually make things worse;  as will cutting spider or snake bites..)).

No healthy adult has ever died from a Redback bite -- reported deaths early on in Australia's history were likely very young or elderly, with compromised immune systems.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:48 pm

veya_victaous wrote:You seek medical attention straight away.
You got a few hours to get to hospital if you don't panic and low pressure bandage and try to not move it (basically you want to limit blood flow to the area. to limit venom spreading)
the hospital is about 25mins(40kms) away but there is a first aider in town that keeps some for brown snakes and tiger snakes. (the 2 really dangerous ones around here) Anti-venom is not as simple as movies make out, it needs to kept refrigerated and only keeps for a few months and is expensive to make and there is limited supply so people are not encouraged to keep it unless necessary. And you really need to be put on a drip etc for a day or 2.

Snakes are not that much of the threat, If you are aware of your surroundings and take some basic precaution when moving rocks fallen timbre or other debris (basically snake homes). The main way people do get bitten is walking through long grass where you cant see them and you accidently step on one.

My biggest concern is that one of my dogs will find and corner or attack one (snakes will generally flee). Particularly if I'm at work as they will be dead by the time I get home.
With any luck the cat killed it when it got bitten. it is a big farm cat that catches rabbits like city cats catch mice.

P.s Spider are really not the threat foreigners think they are. most you don't need to seek medical attention. only really funnel web spiders and they live I holes in the ground, again if you are aware of your surrounding they are really a problem. redbacks are only really dangerous if they bite multiple times since they are small people have been known to have them in a shoe or something and get a dozen bites before realizing.

It all sounds scary to a townie like me...who has a meltdown if a little house spider gets in the house.
I don't mind big snakes, I can hold them and have them slither round my neck, I wouldn't fancy being bit by a venomous one though....even if they are timid.

The shoe thing, What a Face it's the stuff of nightmares.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2