NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship Empty Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:37 am

The principle said: 'I really do believe that this is an opportunity for the school to step forward and listen to the students'

In yet another case of ridiculous censorship, a school in Philadelphia has removed Mark Twain’s classic novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from the curriculum. Administration at the school ruled that “the community costs of reading this book in 11th grade outweigh the literary benefits”, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. The principle of the school, Art Hall, added that the "book’s use of the N-word" was challenging for students “who felt the school was not being inclusive”. Friends' Central School is guided by Quaker philosophy and "peaceful resolution of conflicts, seeking truth, and collaboration”, as written on the website.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/philadelphia-school-bans-mark-twains-the-adventures-of-huckleberry-finn-in-latest-case-of-ridiculous-a6775151.html

Totally absurd....No

Back to top Go down

Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship Empty Re: Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship

Post by nicko Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:27 am

I read a couple of chapters of this book and I can't see why people call it a masterpiece, to be honest I thought it boring.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship Empty Re: Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:30 am

Absolutely brilliant book that I loved as a child.  Huck's adventures show an America that isn't there today and his discoveries about himself and his surroundings along the way are a joy to read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:16 am

I've never read it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:18 pm

If you read it as a youngster you would find it exciting, but read it as an adult-------I don't know
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:21 pm

It's not exciting Nicko, it's evocative, beautiful and takes you into another world and the mind of a young man fending for himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:53 pm

sassy wrote:It's not exciting Nicko, it's evocative, beautiful and takes you into another world and the mind of a young man fending for himself.

Xactly. It's a masterpiece. It gets into the mind of America and explains so much of the 'cause and effect' of American ideology.

Twain's Life and Times on the Mississippi, is great to read as a companion to Huck Finn. It goes into the nuances of riverboat life in the 1880's...written when Twain (Samuel Clemens) was a riverboat master.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Original Quill wrote:
sassy wrote:It's not exciting Nicko, it's evocative, beautiful and takes you into another world and the mind of a young man fending for himself.

Xactly.  It's a masterpiece.  It gets into the mind of America and explains so much of the 'cause and effect' of American ideology.  

Twain's Life and Times on the Mississippi, is great to read as a companion to Huck Finn.  It goes into the nuances of riverboat life in the 1880's...written when Twain (Samuel Clemens) was a riverboat master.

Agreed.  The fact that he knew the area so well is one of the things that makes Huck so good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:06 pm

nicko wrote:I read a couple of chapters of this book and I can't see why people call it a masterpiece,   to be honest I thought it boring.

I think a lot of classic books are quite boring really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Why doesn't that surprise me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:19 pm

sassy wrote:Why doesn't that surprise me.

Are you trying to claim some kind of intellectual superiority?

Charles Dickens, for example. I find his books boring.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:21 pm

I like Thomas Hardy novels, but I have some problems with some of the characters, especially in Tess of the D'Urbervilles.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:Why doesn't that surprise me.

Dickens boring HAHAHahahahahahaahahahahahhaha

no i am not surprised ether

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:15 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

no i a, not surprised ether

Oh here he is, back to do some more trolling.

Yes, I find Dickens' novels boring. Each to their own. Do you think it makes you a better person if you like them?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Yes, I find Dickens' novels boring. Each to their own. Do you think it makes you a better person if you like them?

A Christmas Carol‎ boring
David Copperfield‎
Great Expectations‎
Oliver Twist‎
A Tale of Two Cities‎

yes sure each to there own but boring ???

And commenting on your inane argumentative seeking posts isn`t trolling

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:22 pm

There seems to be some snobbery going on in this thread from Korben and Sassy. They're not very good lefties.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

its worth giving it a shot wouldn't be the first time a book changed a person view on the world would it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:There seems to be some snobbery going on in this thread from Korben and Sassy. They're not very good lefties.
snobbery ??? why do you always go down the combative root

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:26 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

its worth giving it a shot wouldn't be the first time a book changed a person view on the world would it

Clearly, I did give them a shot - otherwise how I know that I found them boring?

So you do think that liking Dickens' novels makes you a better person. That's just weird.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:28 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:There seems to be some snobbery going on in this thread from Korben and Sassy. They're not very good lefties.

How else can you explain Sassy's comment and then your comment about not being surprised?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Clearly, I did give them a shot - otherwise how I know that I found them boring?

So you do think that liking Dickens' novels makes you a better person. That's just weird.
Clearly in your case obviously not ,but it certainly could yes ,thats what books do ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:33 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Clearly in your case obviously not ,but it certainly could yes ,thats what books do ?

Perhaps you should read some books on self-improvement then. They might help you.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

How else can you explain Sassy's comment and then your comment about not being surprised?

you said
she replied
why does that not surprise me
i replied me nether

obviously because of your lack of empathy for anything
we have all seen it
so its no wonder you find classic story`s as i listed boring

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:35 pm

You remind me of Vic Brown in A Kind of Loving - a young man who is rather up himself and who looks down on someone for not liking classical music.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:36 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

you said
she replied
i replied me nether

we have all seen it

How does a liking for all classic books show empathy?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Perhaps you should read some books on self-improvement then. They might help you.
i have deary i am just trying my hardest to drag you UP to my level so i can get some actual sense out of you instead of the default argumentative mode you see stuck in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

you said
she replied
i replied me nether

we have all seen it

because of your lack of empathy it would be like explaining quantum physics to a monkey the expecting him to build a time machine

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:41 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

i have deary i am just trying my hardest to drag you UP to my level so i can get some actual sense out of you instead of the default argumentative mode you see stuck in

Up to your level? You mean I should stop using any kind of punctuation?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:42 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

because of your lack of empathy it would be like explaining quantum physics to a monkey the expecting him to build a time machine

Try.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

OH dear ......the lack of punctuation and indeed the spelling at times is the result of a disability but hey thanks for sticking a Post it note on it .

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:51 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

OH dear ......the lack of punctuation and indeed the spelling at times is the result of a disability but hey thanks for sticking a Post it note on it .  

It was a pleasure.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:You remind me of Vic Brown in A Kind of Loving - a young man who is rather up himself and who looks down on someone for not liking classical music.
Odd you remind me of a woman any old spinster woman really looking for love and adventure in romance novels
so lacking in empathy that your dreams and desires and opinions are a reflection of that need within the pages you read

ps i love classical music

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:59 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:You remind me of Vic Brown in A Kind of Loving - a young man who is rather up himself and who looks down on someone for not liking classical music.
Odd you remind me of a woman any old spinster woman really looking for love and adventure in romance novels
so lacking in empathy that your dreams and desires and opinions are a reflection of that need within the pages you read

Ditto

It can be so powerful you can be swept up by it all.
Mind you I love so many different types of music

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Try.
as much as i would like to ...that seems to me, practicing psychiatric medicine
some thing i have no qualifications in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Richard The Lionheart wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Ditto

Classic FM rocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:03 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Richard The Lionheart wrote:

Ditto

Classic FM rocks

Completely agree and it can be some of the best calming music I have to say after a long day.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:04 pm

korban dallas wrote:

Romance novels? Are you a fan of Mills & Boon then? Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship 3489511464
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:05 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Try.

You mean you can't explain. In other words, you're talking bullshit - as usual. Surprised
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:32 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

You mean you can't explain. In other words, you're talking bullshit - as usual. Surprised
oh dear did i strike a nerve ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Romance novels? Are you a fan of Mills & Boon then? Philadelphia school bans Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in latest case of censorship 3489511464
even your attempted retort references romance novels ...the die is cast

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:37 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

oh dear did i strike a nerve ?

Only the ones in your own head.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:38 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Did you forget that you mentioned them first?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Actually you did . Tess of the d'Urbervilles and T.Hardy

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:49 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I wouldn't call that a romance novel.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:49 pm

I like the Dandy @ the beano, the Eagle was not very good though, I thought the Mekon and Dan Dare were a bit far fetched.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:54 pm

nicko wrote:I like the Dandy @ the beano,   the Eagle was not very good though,  I thought the Mekon and Dan Dare were a bit far fetched.

I used to pinch my brother's Eagle, I though Girl was soppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Of course it's a romance novel.   So is Far from the Madding Crowd.  He excels at love triangles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:01 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Of course it's a romance novel.   So is Far from the Madding Crowd.  He excels at love triangles.

It's not a "romance" novel though - you wouldn't find it in the "romance" section of a library or a bookshop.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:02 pm

No, you'd find it in the Classics because it's a classic, it's still a romance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:02 pm

sassy wrote:No, you'd find it in the Classics because it's a classic, it's still a romance.

It's not really - it's much more than that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next