NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veya's adventures at Milvern

+7
Cass
harvesmom
Victorismyhero
eddie
Bella
nicko
veya_victaous
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Veya's adventures at Milvern Empty Veya's adventures at Milvern

Post by veya_victaous Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:45 pm

I thought I'd start a thread to post some pics.
Milvern is the name of the farmhouse i bought and now living in, moved the last of my stuff in on Wednesday.

I am going to do a lot of work in the yards so thinking of taking some before and after photos. Plus there is heaps of interesting animals around.

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2012
Flock of Cockatoo

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2011
Toilet frog, cant have an old farm house with out a frog living in the second toilet Razz

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2013
Right by my front door, these little birds have made their nest, I think they are a type of finches

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2010
A weird deer, I have seen 2 other types that look more like stereotypical deer, this guy almost looks African confused
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Veya's adventures at Milvern Empty Re: Veya's adventures at Milvern

Post by nicko Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Prong horn Veya?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:17 pm

I'd love to see the before after pictures. All the best with the move Smile
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Be nice to actually see a picture of the farmhouse.

scratch

Not sure I like Australians answer to a bidet. A frog 

affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Really good thread Veya. Let's see the farmhouse please.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 pm

and dont forget "the redback on the toilet seat"

Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:34 am

nicko wrote:Prong horn Veya?

I did ask around and apparently there is weird/wild animals in smaller numbers due to some private zoos that basically closed and just let the animals free to go feral.

the other types of deer are/where semi domestic, the left over of failed farming ventures.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 am

I will try and get a photo of the house itself but it is hard to get a good shot as it's surrounded by trees, so it either feels too close and you cant see much or too far and the trees cover most of it.

but side note, I have a dozen kilos of plums from the trees, some peaches too both are good eating.
I made Plum Jam last night but looked this morning and I don't think it set properly Veya's adventures at Milvern 265384880

there is an apricot tree but I think it may be too old to produce good fruit (they are all stone hard) but I could be conditions too

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:36 am

I adore plums and peaches and apricot jam is far superior to plum jam anyway. Can't help you with the setting of it as I'm not jam-savvy.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 pm

it just means I didn't cook it enough. (cooking times vary depending on water content and I am still learning the finer points of preserve making

it is currently a thick syrup, I might leave it as a syrup,
I put some on ice cream last night for dessert and it tastes good. Veya's adventures at Milvern 3922118137

If you cook it too much you end up with fruit toffee Wink
I made a really good batch of Blueberry toffee last year.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 pm

I adore blueberry-flavoured things but dislike eating the actual fruit. I love blueberry preserve.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:05 am

veya_victaous wrote:it just means I didn't cook it enough. (cooking times vary depending on water content and I am still learning the finer points of preserve making

it is currently a thick syrup, I might leave it as a syrup,
I put some on ice cream last night for dessert and it tastes good.  Veya's adventures at Milvern 3922118137

If you cook it too much you end up with fruit toffee  Wink
I made a really good batch of Blueberry toffee last year.

Boil it up again, add more sugar Cool or apple juice
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:44 am

My Wife makes jam every year, she said it was not boiled enough, bring to the boil again and let it "simmer" for an hour with the addition of a little more sugar. Check regulary with a small amount on a spoon, [ blow on it first]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:39 am

I figured i could probably just boil it some more but after having it on ice cream last night and making myself a vodka, lemonade and plum syrup cocktail tonight drunken I am liking the syrup.

there is still kilograms left of the fruit so I might just make some more , literally it was a half assed attempt cause there was so much ripe fruit. I threw away like 2 kilo this afternoon as it was hot today and i left it in a glass bowl and it was a bit smelly when i got home. i got a few more kilos in the fridge way more than i will eat Wink and there is twice as much ripening fruit on the trees.

i must say the peaches (which i only got about a kilo of originally) are the best i have ever had but my mother has always said that you cant get good stone fruits in Sydney anymore (after the supermarket takeovers that pretty much wiped out your smaller green grocers and non industrialized fruit farms)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:58 am

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2020
Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2016
Fruit and Jam

and the pics of the house as you can see heaps of work to do in the yard, I have got he internals pretty much all good (exception being a bathroom that i will need to gut and re do) and i honest cant take too much credit as I am incredibly lucky to have a little brother that  is a professional shopfitter/cabinet maker
Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2014
Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2015
Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2018
Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2017

one of the old roses
Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2019
the front garden was obvious once a much loved English style garden with Old roses and camellias that have survived for about a decades of abandonment
the house has been vacant for about 10 years before i bought it, the seller had re stumped and re roofed the house appanrent it was quite bad prior there are things that really give away the age the door frames are almost comically unsquare (fuck i am glad my brother is an ace with the plane and chisel Smile
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Lovely pics and everytime you go into your English-style garden, you can think of your pommie mates here Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:39 am

Lovely pics. Happy New House! x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 am

Are those Solar Panels on the roof?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:21 pm

And a satellite dish, no less.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 pm

nicko wrote:Are those Solar Panels on the roof?

yes, I just need a house battery Cool Wink

Currently producing about 50% more than my total usage, but still need to buy power at night Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes and they only pay like 20% of what they charge Suspect Suspect
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 pm

eddie wrote:Lovely pics and everytime you go into your English-style garden, you can think of your pommie mates here Cool

I am going to try and restore it, I figure those that have survived with out care should be easy to look after. So I just got to try not to kill them.
Veya's adventures at Milvern 562977434

I was thinking of Buying some gnomes and naming them after the Posters here Razz Razz Razz Razz

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:37 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
eddie wrote:Lovely pics and everytime you go into your English-style garden, you can think of your pommie mates here Cool

I am going to try and restore it, I figure those that have survived with out care should be easy to look after. So I just got to try not to kill them.  

I was thinking of Buying some gnomes and naming them after the Posters here Razz Razz Razz Razz

You know...that is a fabulous idea! I really wanna see the pics if you do that.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:47 am

You need a wife, veya. Replace those shades with some warm curtains and plant the beds around the house.

Great place, but a woman makes a home.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:14 am

well based on my peers,
I think marriage is just a way to lose up to 70% of your stuff.
Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect

I was going to put curtains up later once I am sure I am happy with internal colours,
but this is Australia only a fool doesn't have shade blinds,
it's been over 30C all week and I don't have air-con ( I might not even bother haven't made up my mind yet) you can really feel the difference if you leave the blinds down during the day.

Flower beds will get planted eventually too. but I was planning to fix up a carport and work shed area first. I making a trip to the quarry this Saturday to order several tonnes of crushed rock and have poisoned some of the weeds/grass

most of the work outside so far has just been removing the noxious weeds and fixing fencing, removing debris etc.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:03 am

veya_victaous wrote:well based on my peers,
I think marriage is just a way to lose up to 70% of your stuff.
Suspect  Suspect  Suspect  Suspect

I was going to put curtains up later once I am sure I am happy with internal colours,
but this is Australia only a fool doesn't have shade blinds,
it's been over 30C all week and I don't have air-con  ( I might not even bother haven't made up my mind yet) you can really feel the difference if you leave the blinds down during the day.

Flower beds will get planted eventually too. but I was planning to fix up a carport and work shed area first. I making a trip to the quarry this Saturday to order several tonnes of crushed rock and have poisoned some of the weeds/grass

most of the work outside so far has just been removing the noxious weeds and fixing fencing, removing debris etc.

You did good. Place is really nice. Cozy feel.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm

veya_victaous wrote:

It looks like an idyllic place to live...good luck with all the renovations.

Here's a gnome to start your collection off....not sure who it could be based on though. Razz

Veya's adventures at Milvern Gnomebum
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:01 am

some more animal pics (this is the reason is moved down here) life is pretty crazy now I travel 70km each way to work (technicality interstate) along 100km/h country roads I am thinking of getting a dash cam just to get some pictures since i cant use a phone camera while driving (used to travel 38km on the train through suburbia takes about the same time) I am happier, i think, even though there has been quite a lot of stress ( i am now 230 km away from friends and family) now i am starting to get a routine. definitely a lot quieter

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2024
the biggest herd of deer i have seen around, about 6 am got out of the shower and my Maltese terrier is barking his head off out the back, they ran off after came out best shot i got.  Neighbor shot 2 from this herd about a week and half ago, this is also one of the larger herd he has seen (about 20) normally they are just 5-10 animals

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2025
A lizard i caught, he was hiding under the lawn mower, just shy of a foot i am not sure what type he is exactly, not a common blue tongue ( i breed them) it has much more defined scales

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2026
AND the birds by the front doors eggs have hatched. cute little babies lovey eyes lovey eyes lovey eyes

Last edited by veya_victaous on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:15 am

Great pics!
Isn't 70km a fucklot of km's to be travelling to work??
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 am

Umm yes Veya's adventures at Milvern 1366281442 thankfully most of it is over 80km/h and hour and a far chunk 100km/h , Plus no cops so speed limits are a bit of a 'suggestion' Wink
it takes about an hour each way which is what it did previously.
But now i get to live in a rural area with all these animals and stuff.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 am

veya_victaous wrote:Umm yes Veya's adventures at Milvern 1366281442 thankfully most of it is over 80km/h and hour and a far chunk 100km/h , Plus no cops so speed limits are a bit of a 'suggestion'  Wink

So if the journey gets you down you can just look out of the window cheers
I guess an hour driving which is simply putting your foot down is better than a short journey in horrible city traffic.
You have a PM btw
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:40 am

I am going to respond to your PM publicly
I am Sorry ( in know all you said is true)
I have been stressed and all out of routine, with all the changes
and reacted badly to the changes here at the same time. You bore the brunt of me being out of sorts which really had little to do with newsfix.

My apologies Veya's adventures at Milvern 2089010162
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 am

veya_victaous wrote:I am going to respond to your PM publicly
I am Sorry ( in know all you said is true)
I have been stressed and all out of routine, with all the changes
and reacted badly to the changes here at the same time. You bore the brunt of me being out of sorts which really had little to do with newsfix.

My apologies Veya's adventures at Milvern 2089010162

Same to you Veya and I really appreciate it x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:49 pm

veya_victaous wrote:Umm yes Veya's adventures at Milvern 1366281442 thankfully most of it is over 80km/h and hour and a far chunk 100km/h , Plus no cops so speed limits are a bit of a 'suggestion'  Wink

I have an hour commute door to door too. I blast music to wake me up or chill me out at the end of the day. You will be surprised at how many changes during the seasons you see along the way once you get used to it. I much prefer it to being stuck underground in a tube. Aren't we lucky? X
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 pm

Cass wrote:

I have an hour commute door to door too. I blast music to wake me up or chill me out at the end of the day. You will be surprised at how many changes during the seasons you see along the way once you get used to it. I much prefer it to being stuck underground in a tube. Aren't we lucky? X

I have found it feels quicker, but I don't mind driving as long as it's moving and compared to Sydney Canberra doesn't have traffic, Like their peak time is the same as a Sunday afternoon in Sydney Surprised

once out of Canberra it is all country roads and you see maybe half dozen cars Veya's adventures at Milvern 3738099605
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:02 pm

are the roads REALLY as bad as that veya???? affraid
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 pm

I pass through a small town (which has commuters like me its about 20km closer to Canberra)
and it is the 'main' road linking the Southern Tablelands to Canberra. So you have farmers and stuff along it.

and that is half dozen cars over about 55km of driving Wink

Completely different to Sydney, I used to drive 3km to the train station and would pass more traffic than the entire 70km journey.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 pm

The biggest danger is wildlife hitting a roo, wombat or deer along some of those stretches could be devastating. it's summer so it is still light when I am driving but in winter it will be dusk, that's why I bought a new vehicle I still have the old ute as a spare (cant exactly walk anywhere from new home) but got a Toyota Hilux 4wd with bull bars etc.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm

toymota hilux eh....

whan ya fitting the 50 cal and anti aircraft gun on the back then?????
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:38 pm

veya_victaous wrote:The biggest danger is wildlife hitting a roo, wombat or deer along some of those stretches could be devastating. it's summer so it is still light when I am driving but in winter it will be dusk, that's why I bought a new vehicle I still have the old ute as a spare (cant exactly walk anywhere from new home) but got a Toyota Hilux 4wd with bull bars etc.

Yup. Mine is deer, free range cows, rabbits, field mice, assorted brands of snakes, hawks, owls, bob cats. A doe ran into me a few years ago. Minor damage but I was devastated. If it had been a buck I would not be here. I still say sorry when I pass by. even during other seasons the sun is the problem. It sits just right and blinds you.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:57 pm

for a change I am going to the other way, and the sun is at my back for the commute. it hasn't been too bad But I have been wearing sun glasses.

there is a lot of rabbits, foxes, lizards and snakes Plus smaller marsupials and things like echidnas too, but they are unlikely to kill the vehicle or driver, not that you want to hit anything if you can avoid it but some of the roads are a bit narrow and your going fast so swerving too much could be fatal for the driver. I swerved to miss a lizard the other day and almost lost it, but I am still getting used to the vehicle.

If a fence was down then there could be cows, sheep or alpacas. but I haven't encountered that yet and from the sounds of things it is uncommon the farmers are pretty quick to fix those things (the laws here are they are liable for an accident if their livestock is on the road)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:07 am

Lord Foul wrote:toymota hilux eh....

whan ya fitting the 50 cal and anti aircraft gun on the back then?????

well you cant get 50cal here and I don't have any sort of gun license Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

but I do have the 'sports bars' which has spotlights and is essentially a rifle rest to aim from (although I have the hard canopy on the back at the moment, since I have the other ute which is a flat bed for larger things)
I also have awnings and roof top tent literally ALL the gear, it's second hand and the friends I bought it from (recently pregnant with first kid, so wanted something easier for baby seats etc) had bought or custom made everything you can think of, the hard canopy have been reinforced with steal frame and roof racks for the tent etc. Dual 12volt connectors in the back. it was perfect timing for me, we had joked about getting it off them when I bought the place since it has everything I need and more.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 am

Idea

You can get .50 cal bolt action rifles, and ammo, from Winchester in Melbourne...

However, here in NSW you would likely need a special permit on top of your shooters license..

Apart from the obvious police and military uses, the likely civilian users of .50 cal would be either some professional hunters, or competition target shooters..

As for shooting deer, roos and goats --  a .223 or .270 could do the job in the hands of a good marksman or a stalker-hunter,   while something like a scoped .308 or .303 could take care of those longer range shots..       Question
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:48 am

Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2040
Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2039
Got really close to Catching some deer in the horse Corral.. not by plan just luck they were when i took a walk around the yard yesterday morning
I got so about 6-8 metres away But they bolted as soon as a reached the wire fence. If the fence wasn't there I might had a chance. they ran deeper in a first than balked at the walls and turned round.

Also Sunset yesterday looking out the back
Veya's adventures at Milvern Img_2038
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:22 am

Looks very tranquil Veya and the scenery is beautiful.
Better luck next time with the Deers

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Why do you want to catch deer? You are not going to kill them to eat are you?? Sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Syl wrote:Why do you want to catch deer? You are not going to kill them to eat are you?? Sad

I love venison.
Have you ever tried venison sausages Syl?

Yum

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:Why do you want to catch deer? You are not going to kill them to eat are you?? Sad

I love venison.

Yum

Nope, and I never will. I seldom eat meat Thor, I can see me giving meat up completely soon.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:39 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I love venison.

Yum

Nope, and I never will. I seldom eat meat Thor, I can see me giving meat up completely soon.

Fair enough, each to their own I guess.
To me, I love it

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Fair enough, each to their own I guess.
To me, I love it

scratch

How come we have never seen Sly criticise Major's hunting threads, I wonder...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Veya's adventures at Milvern 3922118137

Deer are feral animals in Australia...

Venison is a 'top shelf' meat; and quite fine eating.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next