NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms

+8
veya_victaous
'Wolfie
Ben Reilly
Spindleshanks
Victorismyhero
nicko
Tommy Monk
Irn Bru
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms - Page 2 Empty EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms

Post by Guest Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am

First topic message reminder :

Exclusive: Guy Verhofstadt has fast-tracked the plan and will include it in his mandate

EU negotiators will offer British people the chance to individually opt-in and remain EU citizens as a proposal in Brexit negotiations, the European Parliament’s chief negotiator has confirmed.
The plan, first revealed in its early stages by The Independent last month, was being considered as a long-term aim by the European Parliament – but has now been fast-tracked to the negotiating table by Guy Verhofstadt, who is in charge of thrashing out a post-Brexit deal.
Mr Verhofstadt said the “very important” proposal had “captured the imagination and hopes” of many British people who wished to retain their rights as EU citizens and would be in his negotiating mandate.

The plan would see Brits offered individual “associate citizenship”, letting them keep free movement to live and work across the EU, as well as a vote in European Parliament elections.
The proposal could potentially give Brits who live and work across borders a workaround to the disruption caused by the Leave vote – and young people looking to flee an increasingly isolated UK greater choice over where to move to.
Depending on the approach taken by EU negotiators, the idea would likely be subject to approval by the British Government.
Mr Verhofstadt is drawing up a report with the European Parliament’s Committee on Constitutional Affairs about proposed long-term changes to the EU’s structure. The plan was originally proposed by Luxembourg MEP Charles Goerens for inclusion in the report, but will now bypass that process and be taken forward independently.

The chief negotiator told the committee’s members: “We come to the vote of this important amendment 882, tabled by colleague Charles Goerens. It is an important amendment that has captured the imagination and hopes of many of the 48 per cent of Brits that have voted to remain in the EU. You will all have received many emails about this – and there has been many articles about this.

“It has therefore become a very important issue that cannot await treaty change – as envisaged by Charles when he first tabled it.
“I am therefore proposing to remove it from my report – which after all is concerned with Treaty change – and to include it in the negotiations we will have with the UK Government. I as Brexit negotiator for the Parliament will ensure that it is included in the parliament’s negotiating mandate.”
In a statement, Mr Goerens said: “Today I decided together with Guy Verhofstadt to withdraw my amendment on associate EU citizenship. We realised that this has become a very important issue that cannot await treaty change – as was my intention when I first tabled my amendment – since this might take years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-keep-freedom-of-movement-guy-verhofstadt-chief-negotiator-opt-in-passports-a7465271.html

Been talking to my grandchildren about this, it's something they definitely want to take up.

Back to top Go down

EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms - Page 2 Empty Re: EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms

Post by nicko Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:16 pm

My Mom was Irish, my Dad was a Scot, what does that make me? [ Witty replies please]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms - Page 2 Empty Re: EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:19 pm

nicko wrote:My Mom was Irish, my Dad was a Scot, what does that make me?   [ Witty replies please]

One of the Historics?   (anagram lol)

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Never any good at anagrams, solution please.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:42 pm

Irish Scot -  Historics.   Thats why I did the anagram lol

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:23 pm

I feel a bit of a prat, [no comments please]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
nicko wrote:Depends if you want to be British or a Mongrel .

Watch your use of terms like "mongrel" that imply that someone of mixed European ancestry, like every American and Australian on this site, are not "pure."

meh you're either a mongrel or inbred Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:17 pm

This must go for all the countries then, not just Brits. Im sick of seeing us Brits knocked about this and that. Im sick to death of it.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Spindleshanks Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:43 pm

magica wrote:This must go for all the countries then, not just Brits.  Im sick of seeing us Brits knocked about this and that.  Im sick to death of it.

Since Britain is the only country coming out, all the people in the other countries are and will remain EU citizens.
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:56 pm

It could be looked at another way, GB has paved the way and other EU countries will follow.

Time will tell.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Brexit is projected to cost the UK up to £66bn a year - cant see many countries wanting to throw money away like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:15 pm

Time will tell....maybe they will learn from our mistakes.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:17 pm

Syl wrote:Time will tell....maybe they will learn from our mistakes.

I'd rather we learn from their success.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:22 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:Time will tell....maybe they will learn from our mistakes.

Bit late to bang that drum Ziz...we voted out and out we will stay. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Don't bet on it, Syl. 2 weeks is a long time in politics - 2 years is an eternity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:26 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

Don't bet on it, Syl. 2 weeks is a long time in politics - 2 years is an eternity.

You sound like Harold Wilson now. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Harold was a realist. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:35 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

I found him rather kindly and grandfatherly....mind you I was only a kid when he was PM.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:

I found him rather kindly and grandfatherly....mind you I was only a kid when he was PM.

A deliberately cultivated image. For example, he kept a pipe by the front door of No 10 so he wasn't seen without it but in reality he preferred cigars.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

A deliberately cultivated image. For example, he kept a pipe by the front door of No 10 so he wasn't seen without it but in reality he preferred cigars.

Typical politician then....sneaky, nothing changes.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 pm

Harold Wilson was taking "bungs" from the Russians.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:09 pm

Ziz wrote:Brexit is projected to cost the UK up to £66bn a year - cant see many countries wanting to throw money away like that.

Absolute rubbish!!!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Ziz wrote:Brexit is projected to cost the UK up to £66bn a year - cant see many countries wanting to throw money away like texhat.

Absolute rubbish!!!

No problem - what is the projected cost of Brexit per annum then?

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Nowhere near 66 billion.
Google it.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:13 pm

nicko wrote:Nowhere near 66 billion.
Google it.

I did...

'Hard Brexit' will cost Britain £66 billion per year, claims controversial leaked Treasury report

Treasury coffers will take a £66 billion annual hit if Britain goes for a so-called hard Brexit, Cabinet ministers have been warned.

Leaked Government papers suggest leaving the single market and switching to World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules would cause GDP to fall by up to 9.5 per cent compared with if the country remained in the European Union

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/11/revealed-hard-brexit-will-cost-britain-66billion-per-year/

... what's your estimate?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Waffle...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:18 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Waffle...

What's your estimate then, Tommy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Read the article... it's based on bullshit!!!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:31 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Read the article... it's based on bullshit!!!

What's your estimate, Tommy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:09 am

The article is based on bullshit.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:18 am

Tommy Monk wrote:The article is based on bullshit.

'Hard Brexit' could cost UK government $81.1 billion a year

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/11/hard-brexit-could-cost-uk-government-811-billion-a-year-report.html

So what's your estimate then,  Tommy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:28 am

We need to leave the eu asap and we will be better off thereafter.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:31 am

So, incapable of answering is what you mean pmsl
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:16 am

Tommy Monk wrote:We need to leave the eu asap and we will be better off thereafter.

how?
like by what do you make that claim?

Cause by all measurable indicators the Uk will be much worse off. that is just fact and Pretty fucking obvious one to.
Like so many of your opinions this seems to come back to your lack of education, intellect and inability to understand numeracy and economics
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:29 am

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:46 pm

We will be better off as we will no longer be giving £13 billion a year to the eu for a start!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:12 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:We need to leave the eu asap and we will be better off thereafter.

how?
like by what do you make that claim?

Cause by all measurable indicators the Uk will be much worse off. that is just fact and Pretty fucking obvious one to.
Like so many of your opinions this seems to come back to your lack of education, intellect and inability to understand numeracy and economics

No... by project fears scaremongering speculations you mean...

The eu is a ball and chain on the uk and our economy and prosperity... we are breaking the shackles and leaving their dictatorial control over us.

This means we will again be able to run our country in our best interests which can only be resulting in us being better off!!!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:37 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

We will be better off as we will no longer be giving  £13 billion a year to the eu for a start!

Now start subtracting in the loss column...when you are through, give us the net, net.

I love these impetuous little political jerks and jukes of populist movements. Eventually they learn what everyone else already knew. Shouda paid attention in school.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:48 pm

I don't see any losses...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:04 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I don't see any losses...

You haven't looked, have you. Whether you like it or not tommy, y'all in Britain are locked into the whole panorama of the economics of Europe.

You know, as I look at all of these nationalist movements around the globe, and all the tariffs and protectionism going on...I realize that Spain would have turned away the treasure ships under the same motives.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:25 pm

Waffle...

There are no losses.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Waffle...

There are no losses.

You're all alone there, toms.

EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms - Page 2 2Q==

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:23 pm

So what are these losses you claim?

The waffle zit posted earlier has already months ago been shown as being unsubstantiated speculative nonsense and discredited...

So...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:32 pm

And £66bn is not all despite Kipper halfwit's genius (IQ 140, honest guv) propaganda:  Laughing

"Britain’s exit from the European Union will be like many divorces: there will be a bitter argument about money. According to the Financial Times, Britain will have to pay €20bn (£18bn) to leave the EU, taking into account the UK’s share of the EU’s unpaid bills and pension liabilities. The German magazine Wirtschaftswoche suggested in August that the Brexit bill could be as high as €25bn.

Government refuses to rule out £18bn Brexit 'divorce bill'
Read more
Some officials in Brussels think both these estimates are on the low side, although they do not offer alternative figures. The budget is one of the main areas Michel Barnier, the European commission’s chief Brexit negotiator, is focusing on, in addition to trade and the single market. But his team have yet to produce their own estimate of how much Britain should pay."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/13/brexit-britain-cost-divorce-bill-questions-answered-uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:36 pm

And bad news for exporters too. Shocked

"The damage to Britain’s goods exporters of leaving the European Union without a new free trade deal in place would be at least £4.5bn a year – and in all likelihood many multiples of that – an investigation by The Independent has found.

David Davis, the Brexit Secretary, admitted earlier this month that it was possible the UK could leave the EU without a deal and would be forced to trade with the rest of the continent under World Trade Organisation rules."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-cost-uk-leaving-eu-without-trade-deal-exports-negotiations-david-davis-a7325326.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Even Santa is a victim if these dastardly Brexiteers:  No

Cost of Christmas rises with Brexit expected to hit inflation

The Bank of England predicts that inflation on an average basket of goods will rocket from around 1% to 2.7% by the end of 2017.

http://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-christmas-rises-with-brexit-expected-to-hit-inflation-10694037

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Ziz wrote:And £66bn is not all despite Kipper halfwit's genius (IQ 140, honest guv) propaganda:  Laughing

"Britain’s exit from the European Union will be like many divorces: there will be a bitter argument about money. According to the Financial Times, Britain will have to pay €20bn (£18bn) to leave the EU, taking into account the UK’s share of the EU’s unpaid bills and pension liabilities. The German magazine Wirtschaftswoche suggested in August that the Brexit bill could be as high as €25bn.

Government refuses to rule out £18bn Brexit 'divorce bill'
Read more
Some officials in Brussels think both these estimates are on the low side, although they do not offer alternative figures. The budget is one of the main areas Michel Barnier, the European commission’s chief Brexit negotiator, is focusing on, in addition to trade and the single market. But his team have yet to produce their own estimate of how much Britain should pay."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/13/brexit-britain-cost-divorce-bill-questions-answered-uk

From the article...

"...The EU’s unpaid bills totalled €218bn in 2015. These are IOUs that have paid for motorways, bridges and other economic development projects in poorer regions of Europe. Unpaid bills have mounted up over the last 15 years, as the EU has gone on a spending spree, following the enlargement to central and eastern Europe.

Another problem will be agreeing the UK’s share of the EU’s €59bn pension liability, which guarantees income for 1,730 retired British officials. EU sources say the UK will be on the hook for its share of all pension liabilities, not only those of British officials..."

The thing is... we are already currently in the eu and already currently having to pay them billions upon billions every year to fund their eye wateringly extravagant over spending on a great many number of things... this is one of the many big reasons for leaving... staying in means we will be liable to pay them even more billions upon billions for their future eye wateringly extravagant over spending too!!!

This is a clear argument for leaving... not for staying in the madness!!!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Ziz wrote:And bad news for exporters too.  Shocked

"The damage to Britain’s goods exporters of leaving the European Union without a new free trade deal in place would be at least £4.5bn a year – and in all likelihood many multiples of that – an investigation by The Independent has found.

David Davis, the Brexit Secretary, admitted earlier this month that it was possible the UK could leave the EU without a deal and would be forced to trade with the rest of the continent under World Trade Organisation rules."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-cost-uk-leaving-eu-without-trade-deal-exports-negotiations-david-davis-a7325326.html

Staying in the eu costs us £13billion a year in direct contributions and costs us billions more in other associated ways too.

WTO rules for trade with eu is better than what we have at the moment by being in the eu!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Ziz wrote:Even Santa is a victim if these dastardly Brexiteers:  No

Cost of Christmas rises with Brexit expected to hit inflation

The Bank of England predicts that inflation on an average basket of goods will rocket from around 1% to 2.7% by the end of 2017.

http://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-christmas-rises-with-brexit-expected-to-hit-inflation-10694037

Inflation 'rocketing'...!?

EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms - Page 2 _87213356_inflation_nov_2015_624

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:48 pm

Hey Tommy, you realize the timespan of that chart ends seven months before the referendum was held, right?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next