NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters

+2
Ben Reilly
eddie
6 posters

Go down

Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters Empty Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters

Case argues Vote Leave and Leave.EU made ‘knowingly misleading’ assertions of fact, including claim EU cost UK £350m a week

The director of public prosecutions is considering a complaint that voters were misled by the Vote Leave and Leave.EU campaigns, in contravention of electoral law.

The complaint about “undue influence” on the referendum campaign has been submitted by an independent group, spearheaded by Prof Bob Watt, an expert in electoral law from the University of Buckingham.

Though most cases require a police complaint before evidence can be considered by the Crown Prosecution Service, under the 1983 Representation of the People Act the DPP can consider cases of election offences when they are referred to her office directly.

A CPS spokesperson said: “We can confirm that this letter has been received and we are currently considering its content.” The complaint is being considered by the special crime team, which deals with all election offences.

Under electoral law “undue influence” is considered a corrupt practice and includes the use of “a fraudulent device or contrivance” to “impede or prevent or intend to impede or prevent the free exercise of the franchise”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/07/brexit-cps-considers-complaint-that-leave-campaigns-misled-voters
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters Empty Re: Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Ha, ha, ha - you can't keep a good remoaner down.

Back to top Go down

Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters Empty Re: Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:10 pm

I'm getting mightily sick of it tbh.

If they try to reverse the vote I think they will have an awful lot of people in uproar and an awful lot of people, like me, who will probably never vote again.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:15 pm

eddie wrote:I'm getting mightily sick of it tbh.

If they try to reverse the vote I think they will have an awful lot of people in uproar and an awful lot of people, like me, who will probably never vote again.

No need to reverse the vote - just spin out the time and water down Brexit so that it is virtually meaningless.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Ziz wrote:
eddie wrote:I'm getting mightily sick of it tbh.

No need to reverse the vote - just spin out the time and water down Brexit so that it is virtually meaningless.

Same thing, different lie.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:28 pm

eddie wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Same thing, different lie.

Always follow the money - it is the only truth.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 pm

It's what will stop me voting again.
It's quite damaging to public confidence. I voted out (much to the dismay of some) simply because I didn't think the country was 'working' and I like change.
Now, had I voted to stay, I'd still be angry at the fact that the vote and the whole shabang, was just a fucking dirty big fat ludicrous lie.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:40 pm

eddie wrote:It's what will stop me voting again.
It's quite damaging to public confidence. I voted out (much to the dismay of some) simply because I didn't think the country was 'working' and I like change.
Now, had I voted to stay, I'd still be angry at the fact that the vote and the whole shabang, was just a fucking dirty big fat ludicrous lie.

Voting has value - but it is 6 of one and 5.99 of the other. As an ordinary citizen you have very, very little choice - and a very, very small voice - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:08 pm

Oligarchs love it when people stop voting Razz
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Oligarchs love it when people stop voting Razz

Yes. The answer is not to stop voting, but to vote for someone completely different. I'd love to see a situation where an independent stood in each constituency and got voted into Parliament. Razz
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:38 pm

personally I recon we will, if the remoaners get their way, see an E.USSR army on our streets crushing all and any dissent......since it is likely that to stop te process via the various "trickey " being employed will likely result in civil disturbance

At the least, if you think the supposed (and largely manufactured) "spike" in racist crimes was bad...just see what will happen if the whingeing moaners...MOST of which couldnt be bothered to vote in the first place (and hence give legitimacy to their point) get their way...and for "certain" posters thats not an endorsement of that sort of thing, just a realistic prediction.......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Severe civil disobedience may well be met with a severe response by the authorities - it was always thus. Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 pm

If politicians are going to disobey the democratic will of the people then they have no authority...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:If politicians are going to disobey the democratic will of the people then they have no authority...

They have police and guns and armies and jails though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Tanks on the streets of Glasgow - The battle of George Square. The government brought in soldiers from England on stand-by and tanks were deployed around Glasgow's George Square

Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters _45426717_riotact466

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_7850000/newsid_7859100/7859192.stm

Not the same thing but maybe the same could happen.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Ziz wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:If politicians are going to disobey the democratic will of the people then they have no authority...

Thats true, and judging by the attitude of the more rabid lefties on here they would love a chance to use em
then they could enforce their dream of a one party state

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:25 pm

I had to look that word up, it sounds like some kind of Harry Potter character.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Ziz wrote:

Yeah... righto...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 pm

eddie wrote:

I had to look that word up, it sounds like some kind of Harry Potter character.

oligarch

cheif boss of the oligs......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Ziz wrote:

"THEY" also know that (for the moment at least), WE have a ballot box and could easily vote in a govt that decide that those who were involved in such action get a pay cut/removed from service with dishonour/ end up jailed...

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Ziz wrote:

"THEY" also know that (for the moment at least), WE have a ballot box and could easily vote in a govt that decide that those who were involved in such action get a pay cut/removed from service with dishonour/ end up jailed...

Why would ordinary people want to oppose a government which sought to maintain order in the face of lawlessness? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Ziz wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Why would ordinary people want to oppose a government which sought to maintain order in the face of lawlessness? scratch

THAT depends on the reason for that lawlessness, whether such "lawlessness" had "just cause"

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Ziz wrote:

THAT depends on the reason for that lawlessness, whether such "lawlessness" had "just cause"

Many believed the general strike was a just cause but nothing much came of it. Generally, the British have no appetite for rabble politics but I'm happy for the far-right to test the water - gets them off social media for a bit at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:49 pm

pffft/...you need to study your history a bit more....

I think rather a lot came of the general strike in the subsequent years....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:53 pm

Ziz wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

Many believed the general strike was a just cause but nothing much came of it. Generally, the British have no appetite for rabble politics but I'm happy for the far-right to test the water - gets them off social media for a bit at least.

I would have to disagree with you Ziz, I think very little has been achieved in this country without people being willing to break the law and resort to social unrest.   The Suffragettes spring to mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:05 pm

sassy wrote:
Ziz wrote:

I would have to disagree with you Ziz, I think very little has been achieved in this country without people being willing to break the law and resort to social unrest.   The Suffragettes spring to mind.

The enfranchisement of an entire gender after decades of campaign and as part of an international movement is not in the same league as leaving a political trading union - it is too simplistic a comparison. The arrow of history is not with isolationism and nationalism, so I say let the far-right adopt lawlessness as a tactic, it plays right into the hands of the two thirds who did not vote for Brexit (or rather, those who control them).

Last edited by Ziz on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Ziz wrote:
sassy wrote:

The enfranchisement of an entire gender after decades of campaign and as part of an international movement is not in the same league as leaving a political trading union - it is too simplistic a comparison. The arrow of history is not with isolationism and nationalism so  I say, let the far-right adopt lawlessness as tactic, it plays right into the hands of the two thirds who did not vote for Brexit.

I'd say the far right don't adopt lawlessness as a tactic, they do it because they can't think of anything better lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:12 pm

sassy wrote:
Ziz wrote:

The enfranchisement of an entire gender after decades of campaign and as part of an international movement is not in the same league as leaving a political trading union - it is too simplistic a comparison. The arrow of history is not with isolationism and nationalism, so I say let the far-right adopt lawlessness as a tactic, it plays right into the hands of the two thirds who did not vote for Brexit.

I'd say the far right don't adopt lawlessness as a tactic, they do it because they can't think of anything better lol

Don't tease them, this is a tense time for Trumpies everywhere. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:13 pm

I support the democratic will of the people... and it is politicians duty to implement it...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:14 pm

It's pure fuckeries, is what it is.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:15 pm

I support the rule of law.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Ziz wrote:
sassy wrote:

Don't tease them, this is a tense time for Trumpies everywhere. Smile

Now would I Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:32 am

The way I see it David Cameron said he would go to Brussels and negotiate a new deal for the UK and put the results of that to the British people in a referendum. So the British people voted on his deal alone.

And now TM is sending the three Brexiteer's to Brussels to negotiate a new deal so in that event we should be able to vote and that deal before deciding to leave.

That's democratic isn't it?.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:37 am

Irn Bru wrote:The way I see it David Cameron said he would go to Brussels and negotiate a new deal for the UK and put the results of that to the British people in a referendum. So the British people voted on his deal alone.

And now TM is sending the three Brexiteer's to Brussels to negotiate a new deal so in that event we should be able to vote and that deal before deciding to leave.

EXCEPT....TM's negotiators cant begin negotiations UNTIL art 50 is invoked, and once invoked there is no way of cancelling it......

a slightly different scenario

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:42 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:The way I see it David Cameron said he would go to Brussels and negotiate a new deal for the UK and put the results of that to the British people in a referendum. So the British people voted on his deal alone.

EXCEPT....TM's negotiators cant begin negotiations UNTIL art 50 is invoked, and once invoked there is no way of cancelling it......

a slightly different scenario

That's true but she could have gone down the same path as Cameron and negotiated a different deal without even looking at Article 50. With the referendum in her bag as an advisory to back her up she had the same opportunity to do as Cameron did.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:47 am

but...she aint camergoon....thank god....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:58 am

Triggering Article 50 does not mean it cannot be later revoked

“My opinion is that there is no legal provision in Article 50 providing that when you give your intention you cannot change your intention, so I think it’s possible legally,”

Jean Claude Piris, co-author of Article 50
(Sky News)

Other legal opinion supports this - never count chickens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:00 am

the question is ....would "they" let us...

the reaction so far has been that of spoilt brats...
especially that prat Junker.......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:01 am

Lord Foul wrote:but...she aint camergoon....thank god....

That's true, but it was Cameron's deal that the referendum was based on.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:05 am

Lord Foul wrote:the question is ....would "they" let us...

Who can tell what anyone's view will be in 6 months, a year from now, or two years hence? Politicians can spin on a coin in an instant when it suits their interests.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:07 am

the changes needed as far as i'm concerned wouldnt go down well

NO unconditional freedom of movement

the END to this absurd issueing of "EU"passports to every foreign person that washes up on europes shores

the end of preventing/interfering with nationalisation of industries where that is a good way to do things

the end to preventing the use of subsidised industry to provide jobs...thereby enabling us to get away from the ridiculous notion of "in work benefits"

and finally (for the moment) the removal, destruction and legislating against ever reforming the commision
with the investigation and subsequent imprisonment for graft of all its members
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:08 am

Ziz wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:the question is ....would "they" let us...

Who can tell what anyone's view will be in 6 months, a year from now, or two years hence? Politicians can spin on a coin in an instant when it suits their interests.

so we go for the option to force their hand Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters 2190311264
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:10 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Ziz wrote:

so we go for the option to force their hand Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters 2190311264

Which option and who's hand?

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:15 am

we trigger art 50 and go on the basis that is whats happening....

who's hand...europes of course.....they are the ones who may not let us change our minds.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:19 am

Lord Foul wrote:we trigger art 50 and go on the basis that is whats happening....

who's hand...europes of course.....they are the ones who may not let us change our minds.....

I see.

The advice I've read suggests that they cannot legally prevent us from changing our minds. Article 49 (the "joining" article) does not need to be invoked until after actual exit, not notice to exit (Article 50). In short, we can just say that we've decided to stay after all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:24 pm

Is simple... declare our intention of leaving as of article 50 and by the authority given by the British people in the referendum... then we leave...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down