NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross

+4
nicko
Syl
Victorismyhero
eddie
8 posters

Go down

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Empty 25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross

Post by Guest Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Many countries have special delicacies that anyone who isn't a local might find disgusting.

The UK is no exception, with a number of national dishes that are unappealing to the rest of the world.

We've compiled a list of iconic British foods — made out of everything from sheep innards to sea snails — that most people outside of the UK would probably find gross.

Here are 25 classically British meals that many people would avoid:

Haggis — Scotland's national dish — is made by mixing sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and lungs) with oatmeal, onion, and seasoning. Though haggis has traditionally been cooked in the animal's stomach, it's usually made in sausage casing today.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Web-haggis-getty

Jellied eels are a favourite of cockney Londoners, but the dish is far less popular outside of the UK.

Stargazy pie is a Cornish meal made with baked pilchards, eggs, and potatoes, and finished with a pastry top. It was named for the way the fish poke their heads out of the crust.

Black pudding, a blood sausage that's popular in the UK and Ireland, is the perfect accompaniment to a full English breakfast or baked on its own with toast. Though many people find it unappealing.

Similar to black pudding, white pudding is a sausage made using pork fat instead of blood. Though it's served in the UK and Ireland, it's rarely eaten elsewhere.

Baked beans on toast is a classic British dish, though many people outside of the UK would avoid it.

Liquor, a sauce made with parsley and vinegar, is the classic accompaniment to pie and mash (a meat pie with mashed potato). Pie and mash shops originated in East London in the 19th century, and are still popular today.

Kippers and other smoked fish like bloaters (cold-smoked herring) are usually served with brown bread and a lemon wedge for breakfast.

No British Christmas is complete without Christmas pudding, a dessert made from fried fruit, nuts, suet, and lots of brandy that's often set on fire right before serving.

Dripping is the fat rendered from roasting a joint of beef or pork, and can be used as a substitute for oil in cooking or served straight up on toast. Mucky dripping, which also includes whatever is left in the bottom of the roasting pan, is a variant from Yorkshire.

Offal — the organs of an animal — features in many classic British dishes, like steak and kidney pudding, which is made with diced beef, lamb's or pig's kidneys, and suet pastry.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Offal-stew

Mushy peas — marrowfat peas which have been soaked overnight then boiled with sugar and salt to form a green mush — is a side dish traditionally served with fish and chips. If you don't mind eating offal, mushy peas also go well with steak and kidney pudding.

Potted shrimps — brown shrimps preserved in nutmeg-flavoured butter and stored in a glass jar — can be found on menus at some of the UK's best restaurants. It's typically served with wholemeal toast.

Brits have a love/hate relationship with Marmite, a salty paste made from brewers' yeast extract that's usually spread on toast.

Mince pies, made with “mincemeat” (a mix of dried fruit, peel, and suet) and shortcrust pastry, may be a Christmas staple, but those outside of the UK often don't like the sound of them.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Mince-pies-lifestyle

Brits have been adding brown sauce to bacon sandwiches and breakfasts for centuries. It is made with malt vinegar, tomatoes, dates, tamarind extract, and spices.

Toad in the hole consists of sausages baked into a Yorkshire pudding batter. Though it may not sound (or look) particularly appetising, it's delicious — especially when served with plenty of gravy.

Spotted Dick, a sponge pudding made with suet and dried fruit and served with custard, is a nostalgic treat for most Brits as it can usually be found as part of a school dinner.

Periwinkles, small edible sea snails, aren't for everyone. But they're a popular snack in British coastal towns, where they're more commonly known as winkles.

Pork pies are ideal for picnics and pub snacks, but are an acquired taste for non-Brits. Roughly-chopped pork is coated in pork jelly before being wrapped in a hot water crust pastry and baked

Laverbread is a Welsh delicacy made from edible seaweed that has been boiled for several hours before being minced and puréed.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross 155644

Meatballs made out of meat off-cuts and offal (usually pork) served with onions and gravy don't sound appealing, but many Brits think they're delicious.

Scotch Eggs may look unusual, but they are a signature snack in most British pubs. A hard-boiled egg is encased in sausage meat before the whole thing is rolled in breadcrumbs and baked or deep-fried.

Kedgeree is descended from Kichari, a traditional Indian dish that mixes rice and vegetables. The British version features smoked fish like mackerel, boiled eggs, peas, and herbs.

You can find variations of pease pudding — lentils or split peas that have been boiled down and puréed — is a traditional British dish, but for many people it can be hard to stomach.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/25-classic-british-foods-that-foreigners-find-gross-a7222276.html

Well I'm not surprised, I'd eat 5/25 of the "delicacies" on that list and I'm British.  Especially that brown sauce, that should be banned 25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross No_fai11 and it's creator banged up indefinitely 25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Jail10

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Sick10

Back to top Go down

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Empty Re: 25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:37 pm

I like mushy peas, marmite, mince pies (love raisins and currants) and I love Xmas pudding!

Never touched jellied eels - more the jelly than the fish, cannot even bear to look at pie and mash and the rest of it looks kinda nasty too.

My palate is mainly Mediterranean, it's how I prepare most of my food.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Empty Re: 25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:48 pm

PICKLES
VINEGAR PICKLES

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Tripe....YUK.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Tripe
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:14 pm

Who actually eats that??
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:19 pm

When my mum was pregnant with me she craved it...apparently she used to buy it and eat it out of the greasproof paper before she got home, she just couldn't wait.

I have never tried it, it looks absolutely disgusting though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:27 pm

Syl wrote:When my mum was pregnant with me she craved it...apparently she used to buy it and eat it out of the greasproof paper before she got home, she just  couldn't wait.

I have never tried it, it looks absolutely disgusting though.

So you're made out of sugar and tripe and all things nice?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Hahaha....I never thought of it like that, though I bet a few others have. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Syl wrote:Hahaha....I never thought of it like that, though I bet a few others have. Laughing

Hmmmm I don't want to know what others have thought I'm made of.... Laughing
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:17 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Hahaha....I never thought of it like that, though I bet a few others have. Laughing

Whats that old John Wayne film called? ...got it "True grit". Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:37 pm

How about "chitlins" the intestines of a sheep including the Bowel, washed out and boiled, lovely.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

Whats that old John Wayne film called? ...got it "True grit". Laughing

Hahahahahahaha I like that
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:24 pm

L'escargot. Snails.
Fuck me, they were revolting.
Looked and tasted like someone had blown their nose on your plate.
There is even a snail restaurant in Portsmouth called ......... L'escargot.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Snails are okay if they're cooked right. Most French restaurants have them dripping in garlic butter - and Ive found them to be too oily.

I wouldn't eat them now anyway, but I certainly am not bothered!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Do Americans eat cockles?
They are the dogs covered in vinegar and pepper
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:15 am

To be fair, we have many foods y'all wouldn't find appealing as well.

I will begin and end my point with bulls' testicles.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Tmg-article_tall

Yum.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:25 am

Hmmmmm it's not so much the bull, or his tender testicles.....it's the batter. Too much of it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:13 am

Regarding the testicles, are they "empty"?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:19 am

nicko wrote:Regarding the testicles, are they "empty"?

Good point.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Lord Foul wrote:PICKLES
VINEGAR PICKLES

Now that's just plain mean 25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Talk10

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:04 pm

Laughing

THAT Independent journalist in the O/P needs to get out a bit more often...

5 or 6 of those foods are commonly available in Oz and NZ; some others are available in delicatessans..

Vegemite was developed in Australia during WWI to replace Marmite, when imports from England were stopped for the duration..
Baked beans (a.k.a. Navy beans) are also available here in Oz and over in the USA ("Heinz meanz beanz"..).
Jellied eels are popular among some Asian and Euro' communities, as well as back in Pommyland...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
To be fair, we have many foods y'all wouldn't find appealing as well.

I will begin and end my point with bulls' testicles.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross Tmg-article_tall

Yum.

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross 1366281442

IN some rural parts of Australia, bulls' testicles and rams' testicles have been called "bush oysters" or "mountain oysters" over the years...

Back when I was a student down at UWS Hawkesbury, one weekend a group of girls cooked up some sheep testicles, and served them up to some of the blokes there, telling them they were ordinary meatballs -- most of the rest of us other residential students heard about their prank over the next week or two..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Thats a load of bollocks.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:27 pm

nicko wrote:Regarding the testicles, are they "empty"?

25 classic British foods that foreigners find gross 1363015401
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down