NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Ronald Reagan’s drug war fueled Americans’ addiction to racist ideas

4 posters

Go down

How Ronald Reagan’s drug war fueled Americans’ addiction to racist ideas Empty How Ronald Reagan’s drug war fueled Americans’ addiction to racist ideas

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:57 pm

This exclusive excerpt is taken from Ibram X. Kendi’s new book, Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America. It marks the 30th anniversary of the height of the racist scaremongering and punitive measures around the US crack “epidemic”—in contrast to the relatively compassionate response we see to the perceived opioid “epidemic” among white people today.

On June 24, 1982, President Ronald Reagan issued one of the most devastating executive orders of the 20th century. “We must mobilize all our forces to stop the flow of drugs into this country” and to “brand drugs such as marijuana exactly for what they are—dangerous,” he said, announcing his own War on Drugs.

This article was originally published by The Influence, a news site that covers the full spectrum of human relationships with drugs. Follow The Influence on Facebook or Twitter.

Criminologists hardly feared that the new war would disproportionately arrest and incarcerate African Americans. Many criminologists were publishing studies that apparently found that racial discrimination no longer existed in the criminal justice system.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/how-ronald-reagans-drug-war-fueled-americans-addiction-to-racist-ideas/

Excellent article, plenty more to read on the link.

Back to top Go down

How Ronald Reagan’s drug war fueled Americans’ addiction to racist ideas Empty Re: How Ronald Reagan’s drug war fueled Americans’ addiction to racist ideas

Post by eddie Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:01 pm

Why did Regan sell them a "myth"?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

How Ronald Reagan’s drug war fueled Americans’ addiction to racist ideas Empty Re: How Ronald Reagan’s drug war fueled Americans’ addiction to racist ideas

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 pm

He was one of the early blooms from seeds the GOP had been sowing since the mid-1960s, when they realized there were a lot of Southern white Democrats who felt betrayed by their party's civil rights legislation. (Because some people apparently believe that one group cannot be lifted up without pushing another group down Rolling Eyes )

Reagan's evil genius was two-fold -- perfecting the dog-whistle racism GOP candidates used when overt racism was no longer polite in public, and bringing the force of racism into unrelated issues, such as welfare, crime and drug abuse.

To this day in the Republican Party, lurking behind tough-on-crime laws, immigration policy, austerity and many other policies is the fear of black (and increasingly, brown) people.

That's why you see me asserting that a true fiscal conservative is a rare breed. Most people who vote for fiscally conservative issues are doing so because of racist attitudes, as proven by Trump's success in the GOP.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:07 pm

eddie wrote:Why did Regan sell them a "myth"?

To consolidate Republican power and be able to enact the Republican pro-rich guy, pro-corporation agenda.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:30 pm

He was a very odd president. I was young when he was president but I remember him quite well and I thought he was truly a bit crazy.
Then years later I saw Bush JR and saw more crazy.

Now there's Trump. A new kind of crazy.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Regan loved Thatcher, so he wasn't all bad.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:He was one of the early blooms from seeds the GOP had been sowing since the mid-1960s, when they realized there were a lot of Southern white Democrats who felt betrayed by their party's civil rights legislation. (Because some people apparently believe that one group cannot be lifted up without pushing another group down Rolling Eyes )

Reagan's evil genius was two-fold -- perfecting the dog-whistle racism GOP candidates used when overt racism was no longer polite in public, and bringing the force of racism into unrelated issues, such as welfare, crime and drug abuse.

To this day in the Republican Party, lurking behind tough-on-crime laws, immigration policy, austerity and many other policies is the fear of black (and increasingly, brown) people.

That's why you see me asserting that a true fiscal conservative is a rare breed. Most people who vote for fiscally conservative issues are doing so because of racist attitudes, as proven by Trump's success in the GOP.

Crucial to this is the story of Reagan advisor, Lee Atwater:

Wiki wrote:Harvey LeRoy "Lee" Atwater (February 27, 1951 – March 29, 1991) was an American political consultant and strategist to the Republican Party. He was an adviser to U.S. Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush and chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Atwater invented the 'southern strategy':

Wiki wrote:Atwater on the Southern Strategy

As a member of the Reagan administration in 1981, Atwater gave an anonymous interview to political scientist Alexander P. Lamis. Part of the interview was printed in Lamis's book The Two-Party South, then reprinted in Southern Politics in the 1990s with Atwater's name revealed. Bob Herbert reported on the interview in the October 6, 2005, edition of the New York Times. On November 13, 2012, The Nation magazine released a 42-minute audio recording of the interview. James Carter IV, grandson of former president Jimmy Carter, had asked and been granted access to these tapes by Lamis's widow. Atwater talked about the Republican Southern Strategy and Ronald Reagan's version of it:

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now you don't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."

Atwater also argued that Reagan did not need to make racial appeals, suggesting that Reagan's issues transcended the racial prism of the "Southern Strategy":

Atwater: But Reagan did not have to do a southern strategy for two reasons. Number one, race was not a dominant issue. And number two, the mainstream issues in this campaign had been, quote, southern issues since way back in the sixties. So Reagan goes out and campaigns on the issues of economics and of national defense. The whole campaign was devoid of any kind of racism, any kind of reference. And I'll tell you another thing you all need to think about, that even surprised me, is the lack of interest, really, the lack of knowledge right now in the South among white voters about the Voting Rights Act."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Why did Regan sell them a "myth"?
To consolidate Republican power and be able to enact the Republican pro-rich guy, pro-corporation agenda.
And a lot of the people that were coming together to form the NAACP, have felt and those deeply rooted feelings had some truth and solid foundation to them; the good-ole-southern boys were being in-undated with the mandate of:
'you will become a united country - there will no longer be any segregation - not in our public schools - not in our public buildings - not allowed in our restaurants - not on our public transportation - not in our voting process' ...and the years of that grinding away into the very fiber of the southern psyche ...the GOP had to come up with a 'TRADE OFF'! That ole' you do something for me & I'll do something for you! POLITICS - the American way No  

You gonna force me to be nice to black folks in my every day life, then what is my reward; and the trade off was the 'WAR ON DRUGS' - who do you hit the swiftest - who does it impact the most - what race is filling our prison system up as the records have proven?  
Insidious - vile and something that the GOP did while making it look like such a really 'GRAND IDEA' and the Southern Clan mentality calmed down and behaved better in public and behind the scenes ...well the court documents and number of contrived/dirty deeds just became a 'Standard Operating Procedure' in those Southern States!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down