NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Ronald Reagan Ruined America

+3
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
Lurker
7 posters

Go down

How Ronald Reagan Ruined America Empty How Ronald Reagan Ruined America

Post by Lurker Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Every good conservative, Republican, and Tea Partier knows that Pres. Reagan is our country’s best president ever, right? WRONG. He was nothing but an actor, a mouthpiece for antigovernment corporations and international banks, and he effectively dismantled everything that built America’s middle class – our industrial infrastructure, middle class, regulatory environment, and of course, the labor unions.

This four minute clip by Capitalism: A Love Story, explains it all beautifully.

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/watch-the-4-minute-video-that-breaks-down-how-reagan-destroyed-america/
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

How Ronald Reagan Ruined America Empty Re: How Ronald Reagan Ruined America

Post by Lurker Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Trickle-down "voodoo economics" (as George H W Bush called it) was the death knell to the average American worker.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Supply-side economics has been completely debunked.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Original Quill wrote:Supply-side economics has been completely debunked.

I mean really, what kind of idiot would ever believe that if you're able to make more of your good or service, prosperity automatically ensues? Obviously a faith-based view of how economics really works. There are specific cases in which too many barriers to production could choke the economy, but we haven't seen that set of circumstances in a long time -- we need more demand in this country, not more supply.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:48 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

I mean really, what kind of idiot would ever believe that if you're able to make more of your good or service, prosperity automatically ensues? Obviously a faith-based view of how economics really works. There are specific cases in which too many barriers to production could choke the economy, but we haven't seen that set of circumstances in a long time -- we need more demand in this country, not more supply.

I think the theory is that if you give money to investors, they will look for places to invest it.  Investment will become expansion, resulting in employment.  So it refers to 'supply-side' in the sense of the 'supply-demand' curves you studied in Econ class.  It's common sense you've got to have demand in order to sell; the assumption is, on the other side you've got to have a place to put money (investment).

What has proven the demise of the theory is geo-economics.  As the world becomes smaller, the wealthy have found a place to put their money...Asian markets with cheap labor.  So tax-cuts and supply-side economics merely increases foreign investments, and decreases domestic employment.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Going off topic, slightly. Are there still records of who worked for Reagan, during the years as president? Are there any still remaining in the government today that worked under him? Would there be any of his old staff working abroad? For instance, a lot of Tony Blairs old cronies will probably be working the middle east with him. Any of Reagan's lot go on to work with private corporations i.e. Monsanto?
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I think the theory is that if you give money to investors, they will look for places to invest it.  Investment will become expansion, resulting in employment.  So it refers to 'supply-side' in the sense of the 'supply-demand' curves you studied in Econ class.  It's common sense you've got to have demand in order to sell; the assumption is, on the other side you've got to have a place to put money (investment).

What has proven the demise of the theory is geo-economics.  As the world becomes smaller, the wealthy have found a place to put their money...Asian markets with cheap labor.  So tax-cuts and supply-side economics merely increases foreign investments, and decreases domestic employment.

Ah, that's my confusion -- as I've never lived in an America in which American corporations made investments in American labor or infrastructure ... I've been told of a magical time when this was the case, though Smile

Jane, I don't know how you'd track that down, but I can say that most of the officials in the Obama administration are either new or previously served under Clinton -- perhaps a few under W. Bush, though not very many.

About the only way I could think to start investigating that would be at this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_Ronald_Reagan#Administration_and_Cabinet

Here's some related interesting reading:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/10/17/157477/-List-of-Reagan-administration-convictions
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

But that doesn't work at all, Trickle down is complete garbage, as the top and can choose to keep it, they don't NEED to spend it.
give money top the lower end of society and they can't keep it and it is immediately put back into the economy because they need to spend the money on living expenses. thus creating jobs for all the things they need to spend their money on.

look at the theory directly
"give money to investors, they will look for places to invest it." which may take time and it will only be to their best interests.
Give money to people, and they will spend it in on the resources society needs to function making the needs of society a good investment.

The idea that investor lead is stupid and easily shown to be wrong by EVERY commercial art. Music, Movies, Games, all of it Investors invest in something that someone else has shown to be profitable/popular. they didn't create or lead the way at all and often limit and destroy whatever made the thing they invest in popular in the first place.

it is Lie and an example the danger of having parrots at universities that do not think about the information they consume. I will straight up say Trickle down economics has no mathematical basis that cannot easily be shown to be missing key variables and factors needed to simulate a real economy, It is completely a 'theorem of Political ideal' with no basis in Actual functional economics.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:27 pm

I think they have already been caught, Jane. They were Richard Cheney, who was vice-president under GWB, and Donald Rumsfeld, who was Secretary of Defense under GWB.

We damn well tried to get them prosecuted under the War Crimes laws. But Obama had this mantra about looking forward, not looking back. Too bad all crooks couldn't get off that way.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:28 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

But that doesn't work at all, Trickle down is complete garbage, as the top and can choose to keep it, they don't NEED to spend it.
give money top the lower end of society and they can't keep it and it is immediately put back into the economy because they need to spend the money on living expenses. thus creating jobs for all the things they need to spend their money on.

look at the theory directly
"give money to investors, they will look for places to invest it." which may take time and it will only be to their best interests.
Give money to people, and they will spend it in on the resources society needs to function making the needs of society a good investment.

The idea that investor lead is stupid and easily shown to be wrong by EVERY commercial art. Music, Movies, Games, all of it Investors invest in something that someone else has shown to be profitable/popular. they didn't create or lead the way at all and often limit and destroy whatever made the thing they invest in popular in the first place.

it is Lie and an example the danger of having parrots at universities that do not think about the information they consume. I will straight up say Trickle down economics has no mathematical basis that cannot easily be shown to be missing key variables and factors needed to simulate a real economy, It is completely a 'theorem of Political ideal' with no basis in Actual functional economics.

I know veya...that's what we have been saying. Even understanding how Republicans explained it, it doesn't work.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:36 pm

I will add their is a difference between an Investor and an Entrepreneur.

part of the issue is too much dumb money, that stifle Entrepreneurs by trying to 'invest' them out of their own creation.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:58 am

veya_victaous wrote:I will add their is a difference between an Investor and an Entrepreneur.

part of the issue is too much dumb money, that stifle Entrepreneurs by trying to 'invest' them out of their own creation.

A big part of the problem!

Most of the wealthy people today are inherited money. There is a big difference...talented entrepreneurs don't bequeath their talent, they leave trust accounts. The people with money today don't combine their money with talent...with maybe the single exception being the computer and software industry.

Mitt Romney is typical. He inherited money from his father, and he has no sense of how to make it productive...oh, it can produce profits, but not talent.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:25 am

Much of what I read on here can be sid about the UK. We have falling unemployment but productivity remains static and hasn't kept pace with the employment levels. The Bank of England are puzzled by this but I can't think why. We have large underemployment with people in part time work and zero hours contracts. One job lost when the banking collapse happened are now being filled with 2 or 3 people filling the same sort of job meaning the employer is paying out roughly the same wages per hour to people who don't have the same employment rights as a full time employee. We're employing more people but not more produce and we're not putting any more money in their pockets to create the demand we need to boost the economy.

The Bank of England puzzle...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27857472

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down