NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Obama Drama" - a petition

Go down

"Obama Drama" - a petition  Empty "Obama Drama" - a petition

Post by eddie Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:46 pm

I get regular emails from 38Degrees.org about various petitions.
Here's my latest:

Next week President Obama is coming to the UK to meet David Cameron. [1] High on the agenda is likely to be TTIP, a dangerous EU-US trade deal being negotiated right now. TTIP is a wish list for big corporations that could lower the quality of food we feed our children and make privatisation of our NHS irreversible. [2]

Obama doesn’t have long left as President, so he’s probably thinking about leaving a good legacy. If enough of us get together, we might be able to show him just how toxic TTIP would be to his legacy. President Obama delaying or stopping negotiations would be a chunky spanner in the works for getting the TTIP deal passed.

Please can you add your name to an open letter asking President Obama to put an end to TTIP? If we reach 100,000 signatures we’ll make sure the open letter appears in a major UK newspaper so he can’t miss it.

Here's what the letter says:

Dear President Obama,

Welcome to Britain. While you’re here, you’ll see the parts of our country that British people are most proud of. You’ll visit parliament, the home of our democracy, you’ll see the hospitals and ambulances of our NHS, and you’ll eat food produced by hard-working British farmers.

But you’ll also meet with our Prime Minister to discuss TTIP - the trade deal with America that could put all of this at risk.

British people believe that no trade deal should give corporations more power than people. There are better ways of working together. Please stop negotiations of the TTIP trade deal.

Yours sincerely,
ADD YOUR NAME

Top legal experts have said that TTIP poses a serious risk to the long term future of our NHS. [3] And it’s bad news for our food as it could mean chicken breasts are washed in chlorine before they hit the shelves. [4] It’s a deal that lets big corporations sue us if they don’t like our laws, and puts their interests above ours. [5]

Politicians and big companies think they’ve got a better chance of getting the TTIP deal agreed with Obama rather than the next president (yes, even Donald Trump doesn’t want TTIP!). [6] If we can stop him signing it before he leaves office it could mean the end of this dodgy deal for good. So, let’s do everything we can to make him think twice.

Before the US President arrives in the UK, please can you add your name? If we reach 100,000 signatures we’ll make sure the open letter appears in a major UK newspaper, so when Obama’s handed a copy straight off the plane, he’ll know that he’s in for a rough ride.

What do you think???
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

"Obama Drama" - a petition  Empty Re: "Obama Drama" - a petition

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 pm

I get letters from 38 Degrees as well Edds, so have already signed it.

TTIP is the one reason I might vot to come out Europe, because it could be devastating for the NHS.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:51 pm

sassy wrote:I get letters from 38 Degrees as well Edds, so have already signed it.

TTIP is the one reason I might vot to come out Europe, because it could be devastating for the NHS.

I'm just skim reading an article about this sass as I never knew about this and am not going to vote unless I have as much info as I can gather and understand.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Been to meetings about it for over 3years now.  The big think is that once a private company is given a contract they can sue if you try and take it away from them.  So if they were given a private contract for providing services for part of the NHS, no matter how much they messed it up, we wouldn't be able to take it away from them as they would sue the Government.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 pm

https://fullfact.org/europe/does-ttip-mean-privatisation-nhs/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 pm

My thanks and a green. You've just bullet-pointed it for me lol
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 pm

You're welcome, I think it's a huge problem that everyone should think about.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:59 pm

sassy wrote:You're welcome, I think it's a huge problem that everyone should think about.

That's why I like these emails from 38 degrees - they keep me in the loop without me having to search for the loop or I'll just go loopy
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:02 pm

Fruit Loop Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down