NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White Privilege (My Emphasis) - Philomena Kwao Is About To School You In Self Confidence

5 posters

Go down

White Privilege (My Emphasis) - Philomena Kwao Is About To School You In Self Confidence Empty White Privilege (My Emphasis) - Philomena Kwao Is About To School You In Self Confidence

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:18 pm

White Privilege (My Emphasis) - Philomena Kwao Is About To School You In Self Confidence 5703e7692e00002d009507a1

Philomena Kwao joined the chorus of women calling out the cosmetic industry with her powerful blog - ‘Is My Black Not Beautiful‘.
The London-born, New York-based plus size model and campaigner is tired of dark skinned black women being “left behind” in the fashion and beauty world - and she’s here to help change things. Speaking to The Huffington Post UK, 26-year-old Kwao lays out her plan for how “diversity needs to be addressed across every platform,” and shares the secrets to her bold new take on self confidence.

Like many black models, including Naomi Campbell, Leomie Anderson and Nykhor Paul, Kwao often has to take her own makeup kit to photoshoots as many makeup artists are unequipped to deal with her skin tone. “They might have some darker shades in their kit but because they’re so used to working with white models, they’re not familiar with what colours, tones and depths to use,” she said.
But she doesn’t blame the makeup artists personally for not having the right experience. “I’m not sure if it’s part of the curriculum at makeup school but I really think that it should be. It should be something that is made a priority. “It’s skin - it’s the most basic thing you can learn. You can do a beautiful eye and a beautiful lip, but if you can’t perfect the skin you don’t really complete the look.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/philomena-kwao-interview_uk_5703e3c8e4b069ef5c00ebe6?utm_hp_ref=uk

More on the link

Back to top Go down

White Privilege (My Emphasis) - Philomena Kwao Is About To School You In Self Confidence Empty Re: White Privilege (My Emphasis) - Philomena Kwao Is About To School You In Self Confidence

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Can a Mod please place this in to social issues.

Back to top Go down

White Privilege (My Emphasis) - Philomena Kwao Is About To School You In Self Confidence Empty Re: White Privilege (My Emphasis) - Philomena Kwao Is About To School You In Self Confidence

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:32 pm

I know the feeling - getting make up which is light enough and isn't yellow or orange is very difficult. Neutral
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:34 pm

I cant stand foundation or powder....I am a white woman and I have never yet found one that looks good on me.

Bare skin looks nicer anyway imho.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:36 pm

Maybe this thread should be about olive or sallow privilege. Why is makeup so YELLOW? My skin isn't yellow at all.

I have two different types - a Bare Escentuals one in the lightest shade because all the others were too YELLOW, and a Max Factor compact one in the lightest shade - not YELLOW. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 pm

My skin does have a yellowish tinge to it - it's not quite an olive complexion more like virgin Olive Oil Hahahaha

I don't wear foundation or powder either - can't stand that sort of stuff on my skin
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:48 pm

eddie wrote:My skin does have a yellowish tinge to it  - it's not quite an olive complexion more like virgin Olive Oil Hahahaha

I don't wear foundation or powder either - can't stand that sort of stuff on my skin

I never use liquid or cream foundation, just powder ones, and just a bit.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:50 pm

I just use lipstick!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:54 pm

nicko wrote:I just use lipstick!

Laughing

I hardly ever use lipstick. It doesn't stay on for five minutes, and it's hard to find the right colour.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:26 pm

I love lipstick. They do great lip stains in boots rags, and they do stay on.

And we have turned this thread into a make up parlour! lol!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:50 pm

nicko wrote:I just use lipstick!

you expect us to beleive the bule eye shadow is natural Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect

lol!
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down