NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks?

+4
Ben Reilly
Major
Raggamuffin
eddie
8 posters

Go down

Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks? Empty Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks?

Post by eddie Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks?

A viral video has started a debate about "cultural appropriation" and the racial politics of hair.

Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks? Image11

The footage picks up in the middle of a confrontation between two young people - one a white man, the other a black woman. The argument centres around the man's hairstyle. Specifically, his dreadlocks.

"You're saying I can't have a hairstyle because of your culture - why?" the man says.

"Because it's my culture," the woman answers back. At one point she pushes him and tries to stop him from walking away.

The video, which has been watched more than three million times on YouTube, kicked off a debate online.

The man was later identified as Cory Goldstein, a student at San Francisco State University, where the video was apparently filmed. During the argument, Goldstein at one point declares: "You have no right to tell me what I can wear." Most of those commenting seemed to agree - many were critical of the woman.

"Props to the white dude for keeping it civil," read one typical comment.

But beyond the specific incident in the video, what of the charge of "cultural appropriation" - the use of another ethnic group's fashion, art, or in this case, hairstyle? In a later video response, Goldstein made a distinction between "appreciation" and "appropriation".

"When people wear Native American headdresses, that's cultural appropriation," he said, because only people with "high standing" in the Native American community have traditionally been given the right to wear them. (It's this thinking which led the Glastonbury Festival to ban the sale of headdresses, which were once somewhat fashionable).

"The fact I have dreadlocks doesn't mean I'm trying to appropriate culture, it means I love and respect their culture and it's something I hold true to myself," Goldstein said. "These things should bring us closer together"

The woman in the video has apparently shut down her social media accounts and did not respond to requests for comments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-35944803

What a stupid woman!!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks? Empty Re: Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks?

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Of course it's OK. All this shite about "appropriation" is absurd. I also don't think that the chap should have to love anyone else's culture - if he wants dreadlocks, he can have them without reference to anyone else who has them.

Do people tell black women they shouldn't straighten their hair because it's "cultural appropriation"?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks? Empty Re: Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks?

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:09 pm

I watched the incident on You Tube, and I have to say it looks a bit fake - it looks like they're acting, but we'll see.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:09 pm

It's fine for people to have their hair any way they want. By the way, the woman in the video is just another student, not an employee as the video claims.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Couple more points -- dreadlocks aren't just African, they're also South Asian.

They don't have to be dirty -- pretty much anybody will get dreadlocks if they go long enough without combing or cutting their hair.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Black people should stop straightening and bleaching their hair then?  

She's just an ignorant idiot looking for a fight.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Couple more points -- dreadlocks aren't just African, they're also South Asian.

They don't have to be dirty -- pretty much anybody will get dreadlocks if they go long enough without combing or cutting their hair.

Black hair will fall into dreads naturally, you twirl it and they just form. White hair doesn't quite do that.  White hair ends up looking like the back end of a sheep's arse.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Of course it's OK. All this shite about "appropriation" is absurd. I also don't think that the chap should have to love anyone else's culture - if he wants dreadlocks, he can have them without reference to anyone else who has them.

Do people tell black women they shouldn't straighten their hair because it's "cultural appropriation"?

Exactly...that was going to be my response but you beat me to it.

I don't think many people objected when Bo Derrick wore her hair in dreadlocks.

Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks? 50F32CEA-AE24-3AFE-D09B5BAD6E5F3421
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:21 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Of course it's OK. All this shite about "appropriation" is absurd. I also don't think that the chap should have to love anyone else's culture - if he wants dreadlocks, he can have them without reference to anyone else who has them.

Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks? 50F32CEA-AE24-3AFE-D09B5BAD6E5F3421

Yes, although I think they're braids or plaits rather than dreadlocks. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Stormee wrote:Deadlockz on a whitee lookz ridiculous as they do on anyone besides being filthy, how the hell doest thou keep them clean.

I seen a whitee with dreadlocks today and his hair looked rank.

I lived with a guy who had dreadlocks. His hair wasn't dirty as he washed it
It's a suprise really, isn't it, that black people can know what shampoo is! Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Syl wrote:

Get with the beat, Baggie. Those aren't dreadlocks.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Baggie?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Baggie?

I did wonder
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Yeah....whats a 'Baggie'? Shocked

Oh...and her hair was described as 'braids' or 'dreads' ...= dreadlocks. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Syl wrote:Yeah....whats a 'Baggie'? Shocked

Remember the Jungle Book by Disney.   Baloo the Bear says to Bagheera the panther, who is being all square and not with it, 'Come on baggie, get with the beat!'

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:56 pm

Dreadlocks stink, they don't get washed do they?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Thank goodness for that....I looked up some of the slang terms for 'baggie'....being called a square is complimentary in comparison. Razz

Anyway....I was right about her hair in the first place. Is it OK for white people to have dreadlocks? Snob
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:12 pm

nicko wrote:Dreadlocks stink,  they don't get washed do they?

Why do you assume that?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:41 pm

Her hair is plaited.   Whoever said they were dreads are wrong.   Dreads aren't plaits, though some people start dreads off by plaiting.  White or straight hair has to be treated to a dread perm to get it started.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:42 pm

nicko wrote:Dreadlocks stink,  they don't get washed do they?

Dreads get washed just the same as normal hair.   In fact, clean hair dreads up better.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:02 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

Her hair is plaited.   Whoever said they were dreads are wrong.   Dreads aren't plaits, though some people start dreads off by plaiting.  White or straight hair has to be treated to a dread perm to get it started.

When she made them famous they were called dreads.....google her name and dreads, or beaded dreads, you will get loads of pics.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:08 pm

One could say they were cornrows, but they're definitely not dreadlocks. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Yeah OK...I am all argued out over socks. Rolling Eyes Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:20 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Couple more points -- dreadlocks aren't just African, they're also South Asian.

Also nordic.
a lot of poeple didn't wash their hair Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down