NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man arrested for posting racist comments on Facebook page

Go down

Man arrested for posting racist comments on Facebook page Empty Man arrested for posting racist comments on Facebook page

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:51 pm

A former National Front activist was arrested for posting abusive comments on a Facebook page devoted to part of Carlisle.

Thirty-year-old Kevin Hartness, of Borland Avenue, Botcherby, wrote messages “of a racial nature with a sinister tone”, Carlisle Magistrates’ Court heard.

Prosecutor Andy Travis said police were alerted by a member of the public about messages on a ‘Spotted Botch’ page.Prosecutor Andy Travis said police were alerted by a member of the public about messages on a ‘Spotted Botch’ page.

The court heard how there were ‘disparaging remarks’ about Polish people, some criticising them and calling on them to leave the area. Others were anti-Semitic and about World War Two.

The court heard how some of the comments could be considered to “incite racial or religious hatred” so details of the case were sent by the local Crown Prosecution Service to the London office to consider the correct charge to bring against Hartness.

Hartness, who represented himself and admitted sending menacing messages over a communications network, told police that he “used to be an active member of the National Front but doesn’t hold their views now”.

He also told them he was a skinhead when he was about 13.

The court heard he had no idea what he wrote on the ‘Spotted Botch’ web page would be printed in full.

Mr Travis said there had been a mistake involving the “administrator” of the site and the posts [Hartness] sent in were printed in full without any alteration.

“All his comments were there for the public to view,” Mr Travis said.

Hartness said he thought the site was only for the people of Botcherby to air their views and make comments. “I’ve maybe got a misunderstanding of how the site works,” he said. “I thought I was just making comments for other people to get back to me, and have a whinge between folk on the estate.”

He said he admitted the comments he made about the Polish and the Jews and the war were unacceptable. “I don’t hold those views now and would like to apologise,” he told the court.

The court was told he has 15 previous convictions for 29 offences, some for football-related disorder.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/news/article/3080/carlisle-man-posted-racial-messages-on-city-f

The majority of those racist thugs do though...Probably EDL  Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Man arrested for posting racist comments on Facebook page Empty Re: Man arrested for posting racist comments on Facebook page

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Motto of the story!

Racists beware what you write on the net..Old bill will be coming after you!  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Man arrested for posting racist comments on Facebook page Empty Re: Man arrested for posting racist comments on Facebook page

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:34 pm

I'd go further - be nice to people, whoever you are.   sunny 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:51 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:I'd go further - be nice to people, whoever you are.     sunny 

Shame that you can't put your money where your mouth is, and start being nice towards foreigners and the unemployed instead of labeling them as 'scroungers' and criminals etc.. you racist imbecile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Again, let's tone down the personal insults. They drag the forum down and to me, when you stoop to slinging insults you undercut your own position.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Again, let's tone down the personal insults. They drag the forum down and to me, when you stoop to slinging insults you undercut your own position.

Point taken.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:33 pm

Back to the subject at hand -- maybe it's just the American in me, but I don't agree with arresting someone on the basis of statements like that unless he was advocating for people to go out and hurt someone. I can see far more harm coming of racists hiding how they feel than from them just expressing them, to be criticized by the non-racist majority.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Back to the subject at hand -- maybe it's just the American in me, but I don't agree with arresting someone on the basis of statements like that unless he was advocating for people to go out and hurt someone. I can see far more harm coming of racists hiding how they feel than from them just expressing them, to be criticized by the non-racist majority.

'The court heard how some of the comments could be considered to “incite racial or religious hatred” so details of the case were sent by the local Crown Prosecution Service to the London office to consider the correct charge to bring against Hartness'

So a fair course of action imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Interesting article.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he's found guilty of anything illegal...

Of course, if we knew what was written, we could give our own opinions on it, but I guess there's just nothing to say at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Muh feelings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:21 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Interesting article.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he's found guilty of anything illegal...

Of course, if we knew what was written, we could give our own opinions on it, but I guess there's just nothing to say at the moment.

You have to watch yourself with the new anti hate laws...Racist and homophobic hate speech, no longer allowed.  cheers cheers cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:22 pm

The evidence doesn't seem very water tight to me & the story is clearly an example of people jumping to conclusions without all of the evidence available....which is called a witch hunt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down