NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!

+3
Victorismyhero
eddie
Tommy Monk
7 posters

Go down

Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!  Empty Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:19 pm

More than 70% of doctors struck off in Britain are trained abroad: Alarm over patient safety despite promises to overhaul competency exams three years ago 

Meanwhile, the Mail's FOI revealed that, among doctors already working in Britain, 273 of the 374 struck off for misconduct or incompetence in the past five years were foreign-trained, while 66 of the 85 removed from the medical register in 2014 received their medical degree overseas.

So far this year 48 of the 68 doctors who have been struck off were trained abroad. With only one-third of the 270,000 doctors on the medical register trained outside the UK, it means those from overseas are still five times more likely to be struck off than their British qualified counterparts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3362362/Figures-reveal-doctors-trained-abroad-make-three-quarters-struck-Britain-despite-promises-overhaul-competency-exams-wake-growing-alarm-patient-safety.html

Why are we still not enabling our own more?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!  Empty Re: Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:50 pm

Okay how many over the last decades?

Or is your ability to understand anything placed upon one year or five?

This is why you are nothing more than a racist gerbil

One year is your claim here, showing how you really are such an idiot

The ask yourself how many doctors there are

And how one third are foreign, and how they save lives

That number goes into the tens of thousand you racist low life scum

So the claim on 5 times more likely is based on a falsehood based over the time period they have set.

In other words its bollocks and such articles are written because of small minded idiots

Back to top Go down

Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!  Empty Re: Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Didge why was that post so harsh? You could've just told him he was talking junk in a better way surely?

Anyway, even if those figures are based on one year, it's still a lot isn't it?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:56 pm

the maths appears to be correct.....
as an approximation.....

Of course NO-ONE in their right mind expects the media to be precise

and I am willing to bet a shed load thats what dige based that post above on.....

plus a load of nasty shit

but then ...I DID say "in their right mind" Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:25 pm

eddie wrote:Didge why was that post so harsh? You could've just told him he was talking junk in a better way surely?

Anyway, even if those figures are based on one year, it's still a lot isn't it?

Sorry how so you want me to dress up speaking to a racist twat?

What does he care for the thousands that save lives?

So if you do not like what I said go to a PG rated forum

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Stormee wrote:I have experienced some of these 'useless as a chocolate fireguard' forun doctors, so did my best mate.
I walked in on one big black scumbag shouting at my best mate who had undergone a life threatening operation a few days previously and was stressing, worrying, I let rip and the nurse took doctor away and came back with a staff nurse who checked him out, she asked me if I wished to complain, bleeding right I did, never knew what happund though.

Bullshit alert

I have experienced nothing but great foreign doctors and above we see another racist idiot

If you do not love Britain and well off enough as you claim, then piss off and allow the rest of us to enjoy it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Stormee wrote:Another time a black twack was putting those orange effect drops in my eyes and speaking to someone who had just entered the room.
I had already explained I did not like my eyes messes with and she got stroppy and put me on edge then she talks to someone who should NOT has burst in on us.

Another time I had an operation and was having my stitches out and another black dropped scissors on the floor and tried to use them to cut sutures, I went ape, might have had an infection, I had just got rid of one. aerosols.

And was the name of the town the hospital was in called Trumpton?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Stormee wrote:
Didge wrote:

And was the name of the town the hospital was in called Trumpton?

Nope, try again, Didge

Ya gotta learn to accept the truth.

Ya gotta learn not to keep insulting, name calling people.

You will overtake Sassy if you do not calm down. afro afro afro  

I accept that you are a lying racist idiot

If you do not like how I post

Tough

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:35 pm

I do think that doctors and those within the medical profession should, without question, be able to speak English fluently and clearly.
Imparting important and let's face it, sometimes life-saving information, should be delivered by a person with a clear and precise understanding of the language.

And that goes for any doctor who works in any country.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:47 pm

Competence checks were promised to be brought in few years ago.... but seems bar is still set too low eddie.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Well that needs to change Tommy. When it comes to people's lives and medical care, understating their doctor is imperative!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:00 pm

eddie wrote:Well that needs to change Tommy. When it comes to people's lives and medical care, understating their doctor is imperative!

So no doctor should  ever move from the area they were raised because of the accents then?

You really are an idiot at times, what people need to do is say and speak up if they do not understand

And all the foreign doctors I know speak English

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Stormee wrote:
Didge wrote:

I accept that you are a lying racist idiot

If you do not like how I post

Tough

Decorum young man, decorum.

Well considering that you are racist, I suggest decorum, is something you have never had my boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:Well that needs to change Tommy. When it comes to people's lives and medical care, understating their doctor is imperative!

So no doctor should  ever move from the area they were raised because of the accents then?

You really are an idiot at times, what people need to do is say and speak up if they do not understand

I said they need to have a clear and precise understanding of the English language - or the language of whatever country they are practising in.
People do speak up but if they're too ill, or shy or just embarrassed it's not always that easy didge.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:06 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

I said they need to have a clear and precise understanding of the English language  - or the language of whatever country they are practising in.
People do speak up but if they're too ill, or shy or just embarrassed it's not always that easy didge.

Again you deciding the rules, based on nonsense as again a accent can render understanding difficult

So people should say if they do not understand, is that bloody simple

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Didge are you saying that people shoud have to struggle to work out what someone is saying when it comes to their treatment or operation etc?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 pm

eddie wrote:Didge are you saying that people shoud have to struggle to work out what someone is saying when it comes to their treatment or operation etc?

Are you being  intentionally thick again?

I said they should say if they did not understand the doctor

Not everyone is going to understand because of accents, so people have themselves to blame if they do not say they had trouble understanding

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Stormee wrote:Another time a black twack was putting those orange effect drops in my eyes and speaking to someone who had just entered the room.
I had already explained I did not like my eyes messes with and she got stroppy and put me on edge then she talks to someone who should NOT has burst in on us whilst still treating me..

Another time I had an operation and was having my stitches out and another black dropped scissors on the floor and tried to use them to snip sutures, I went ape, might have had an infection, I had just got rid of one. aerosols.

Collected my best mate from 4 weeks in hosp, he was a wreck, stressed out and frightened, a lot older than me, when we got down to my car I noticed he still had a cannula in his arm, I made the send someone to the car park to remove it, not a black this time but another bleeding koruna from where I do not know..

Do ya want another one???????

Wow, so you've never had a successful social interaction with a non-white? Very telling ... Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:Didge are you saying that people shoud have to struggle to work out what someone is saying when it comes to their treatment or operation etc?

Not everyone is going to understand because of accents, so people have themselves to blame if they do not say they had trouble understanding

I've told you, I'm never intentionally thick, or rude, and I'm not explaining my point again. It's pretty clear, it's pretty logical and you're the only one who can't seem to inderstand it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:31 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

I've told you, I'm never intentionally thick, or rude, and I'm not explaining my point again. It's pretty clear, it's pretty logical and you're the only one who can't seem to inderstand it.

Your point was poor, as its based on ignorance that comes from far right idiots as the doctors speak English and that its accents that tend to be the problem

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:40 pm

No my point is not poor didge; its logical to not expect time wasted by people asking doctors to keep repeating themselves.
It's logical is it not? Employ someone who speaks the same language clearly as the people they serve.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:43 pm

eddie wrote:No my point is not poor didge; its logical to not expect time wasted by people asking doctors to keep repeating themselves.
It's logical is it not? Employ someone who speaks the same language clearly as the people they serve.

No what is logical is that the NHS is only able to run with the help of 70,000 plus foreign doctors and that there will be at times accent issues and that people like yourself should understand this and stop making utterly stupid demands

Stop being so utterly stupid

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:44 pm

Stop being so utterly rude didge. Thanks.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:45 pm

eddie wrote:Stop being so utterly rude didge. Thanks.

When you stop being stupid, I will happily be civil to you

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:50 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:Stop being so utterly rude didge. Thanks.

When you stop being stupid, I will happily be civil to you

So you're only civil to people you consider non-stupid?

Do you deal with other people in your place of employment?
What do you do if you consider their opinions or thoughts, stupid?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:56 pm

The doctors were not struck off for 'accent issues'...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:The doctors were not struck off for 'accent issues'...

There was a famous case with a German doctor who killed a patient.  It was down to language issues in misunderstanding dosage of drugs.   I think they are now tested for their command of English.   It is an issue and one that should be rectified.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:37 pm

One case where totally poor understanding of English language was direct cause of death... not just an 'accent' issue as has been suggested...

Serious misconduct/malpractice are reasons for being struck off in overwhelming vast majority of all cases... as it is overall skill and competence that is in question more so... not an accent or slight language difficulty...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:07 am

Tommy Monk wrote:One case where totally poor understanding of English language was direct cause of death... not just an 'accent' issue as has been suggested...

Serious misconduct/malpractice are reasons for being struck off in overwhelming vast majority of all cases... as it is overall skill and competence that is in question more so... not an accent or slight language difficulty...

Forgive my inquiring mind...and not understanding all of the finite issues within this OP'd of yours TommyMonk; but if there is such a serious issue in all of Britain for medical professionals and the influx of foreign trained staff hasn't helped the situation --- exactly what would those stats/data reflect how many deaths/misdiagnoses/terminally ill Britain's would have been left to suffer without the medical personnel on hand to help them?
This article was included in your own link and it was quite interesting as to how the British decided to escalate the 'passport process' to enable those medical professionals to have access to those vacancies and much needed expert help.

Earlier this month it was announced that, under new EU rules, European doctors and nurses will be handed electronic 'passports' which automatically enable them to practise in hospitals and GP surgeries in Britain.

The passports will be issued to nurses, midwives and some other staff from January 1, and to doctors in two years.

It means UK regulators will have to give applicants licences to practise without first checking they have the necessary qualifications and have not lied on forms or been suspended.

Almost 11,000 European doctors and nurses were granted permission to work in the NHS last year and numbers are steadily rising because the health service is so understaffed.

But there are already concerns about existing EU rules which prevent them being tested on speaking English because this could impede their 'freedom of movement' rights.

Regulators can only request certificates stating EU workers have already passed English tests – whereas those applying from elsewhere in the world face rigorous exams.

Experts say the new passports – European Professional Cards – will jeopardise patient safety even further.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3362362/Figures-reveal-doctors-trained-abroad-make-three-quarters-struck-Britain-despite-promises-overhaul-

Did the shortage of medical doctors/nurses/surgeons open this Pandora's Box and now there are a few problems; nothing seems grossly skewed out of proportion to my mind --- we have our own number/volume of 'Medical Malpractice' to deal with here in the states and I'll assume you've heard the horror stories about the long months of our Veterans having to wait for just an appointment.

At least you have medical professionals longing and willing to come to your country to live and work. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:21 am

Aspca... from the bit you quoted...

"...It means UK regulators will have to give applicants licences to practise without first checking they have the necessary qualifications and have not lied on forms or been suspended..."

That is less checks... not more!

And now not even checking the basics that the applicants even have the right qualifications etc!!!

The need for more NHS staff might have something to do with the extra half a million people we have turning up in our ountrt every year... and all the others from overseas who just fly in to take advantage of our system for free!!!

Obvious that if we regained control over our country and borders by leaving the EU and the free movement madness, we could limit numbers coming here and then we wouldn't need so many extra tax payer funded NHS workers... as well as all the other public services.

Also in a previous debate I showed how the govt back in the day about 50 years ago knew full well that more NHS doctors and nurses would be needed but then instead of ensuring more training was done with our own people, they reduced the training places and started bringing in foreigners instead...

Now we hear the argument that we need all the foreigners coming here or the NHS would collapse!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Aspca... from the bit you quoted...

[i]"...It means UK regulators will have to give applicants licences to practise without first checking they have the necessary qualifications and have not lied on forms or been suspended..."[/i]
And now not even checking the basics that the applicants even have the right qualifications etc!!!
The need for more NHS staff might have something to do with the extra half a million people we have turning up in our ountrt every year... and all the others from overseas who just fly in to take advantage of our system for free!!!

Obvious that if we regained control over our country and borders by leaving the EU and the free movement madness, we could limit numbers coming here and then we wouldn't need so many extra tax payer funded NHS workers... as well as all the other public services.

Also in a previous debate I showed how the govt back in the day about 50 years ago knew full well that more NHS doctors and nurses would be needed but then instead of ensuring more training was done with our own people,  they reduced the training places and started bringing in foreigners instead...

Now we hear the argument that we need all the foreigners coming here or the NHS would collapse!!!

Why I pulled that part/section in from your link; rather odd that the method that 'YOUR COUNTRY' chose to facilitate/expedite the speed to obtain medical personnel into your country has become 'AN ISSUE' for
1.)where they receive their training
2.)how well they're able to communicate with other language speaking medical staff
3.)what percentages of problems have risen from the language barriers
4.)is this much ado about NOTHING or are there external issues at play here that have reared an ugly 'anti-Muslim' race thing towards any dark skinned medical staff trying to provide English speaking residents some medical assistance?

Granted---I'm quite aware how our elected humans are able to put things into motion that haven't been well thought through or everything in 'THEORY' usually goes to sh*t because all of the 'worst case scenarios' weren't worked out prior to implementing. We have the same problems right here in the states too, with our elected officials!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:56 am

What would happen if everyone decided they didn't actually want to be a doctor? Nobody would get any treatment then.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What would happen if everyone decided they didn't actually want to be a doctor? Nobody would get any treatment then.

You know rags, I often think if there were no doctors, but information was freely available as it is on the Internet, would people treat themselves holistically and what would be the outcome of that?
Would there be more, or less death from certain illnesses?

Of course this couldn't and wouldn't work with car accidents and shootings etc
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:04 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What would happen if everyone decided they didn't actually want to be a doctor? Nobody would get any treatment then.

You know rags, I often think if there were no doctors, but information was freely available as it is on the Internet, would people treat themselves holistically and what would be the outcome of that?
Would there be more, or less death from certain illnesses?

Of course this couldn't and wouldn't work with car accidents and shootings etc

People can already diagnose themselves from the internet and tell their doctor what's wrong with them. I've done that. Laughing Obviously, I wouldn't advise anyone else to do that.

They would need doctors to write prescriptions of course and to arrange blood tests.

The reason I asked is that so many people say we should have more British doctors, but what if not enough British people want to be doctors?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:31 pm

TommyMonk Stated >>> Also in a previous debate I showed how the govt back in the day about 50 years ago knew full well that more NHS doctors and nurses would be needed but then instead of ensuring more training was done with our own people, they reduced the training places and started bringing in foreigners instead...
Granted - that 'aging out of all of our medical professionals - world wide' was an issue here in the USA too!  Between the 'medical malpractice insurance' the amount of debt load from the 8+ years of college courses; it became an issue for our replacement to those whom would hit that wall of 'age retirement' and our hospitals would be hurting - SERIOUSLY  
We have seen a sharp increase in more foreign medical personnel here in the states too!  And I'll admit that the ability to explain diagnoses to {ME} Americans can be horribly hard when the bearer of the bad news - not only is imparting you've got cancer but is from Bagdad, Iraq and has a heavy accent to his words.  I was 27yrs old and sat there in utter/numbing shock...trying to wrap my mind around WTH he'd just said and only being able to focus on that single one word 'CANCER' --- everything else was just jib-jabber to me.  
I had to make an luncheon appointment with his head nurse to have her translate WTF he'd told me and what were my options for follow up treatment/surgery!  Not my doctors fault in anyway; he was just the bearer of horrific news, slanted with just enough foreign language tossed in to make my ears shut down.  {circa 1981} and 2 months after my surgery he was forced/black mailed to return to Bagdad, Iraq by Saddam Hussein regime because they wanted all of their native born sons back home to fight off the invading Americans and serve their country in the time of need.  So his grandparents - his parents - nieces & nephews were being held in a prison {chemical Ali - Saddam's #2 son} and tortured until my doctor and his 3 other brothers returned home ASAP.  

I've often wondered what eventually happened to that nice/brilliant doctor and his 3 little American children that he left behind here with his American wife.  

Ahhhh, memories.  Sorry, I digress...but there's a important point in there; we had a doctor's shortage that began in the 80's and had it not been for so many foreign born humans taking those jobs that they were offered upon graduating --- well we'd have been in a world of shortfall for medical provided health care here too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Not talking about an 'ageing put"... it was soon after the inception of our NHS and the govt at the time knew that as the NHS grew that more would be needed... so instead of increasing training opportunities. .. they cut them... then started importing foreign ones and giving them the jobs instead of our own people.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Not talking about an 'ageing put"... it was soon after the inception of our NHS  and the govt at the time knew that as the NHS grew that more would be needed... so instead of increasing training opportunities. .. they cut them... then started importing foreign ones and giving them the jobs instead of our own people.

I'm well aware that you weren't speaking/using the 'retirement/baby boomers age' as a talking point --- I DID as an example! scratch Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!  1716015268

But by what premise do you think that YOUR elected officials used for a bases/option/choice to look to the foreign medical teams instead of keeping the training and funding 'IN HOUSE' {so to speak}?
Granted, I'm often giving my elected officials far more latitude for 'THINKING' then I probably should --- but surely they did a financial impact study within the 'Academia Teaching Colleges' in England prior to just tossing that off the discussion table???

Is there such a thing as 'Rating Teaching Colleges' '?' especially for all of the new medical advances and techniques that have been incorporated in the past 15+ years? I'm asking because I really do not know? But with all of the 'micro-neurosurgeries' that are made available - newer mammogram equipment - updated MRI's - more and more robotic operations --- it does place a heavy financial burden upon those teaching colleges to stay up todate/current for their paying students.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Aspca... from the bit you quoted...

"...It means UK regulators will have to give applicants licences to practise without first checking they have the necessary qualifications and have not lied on forms or been suspended..."

Also in a previous debate I showed how the govt back in the day about 50 years ago knew full well that more NHS doctors and nurses would be needed but then instead of ensuring more training was done with our own people,  they reduced the training places and started bringing in foreigners instead...

On the subject of nursing, years ago, all that was needed was to pass an entrance exam to become a nurse.   You didn't even need any other qualifications.    Then you were interviewed by a board or panel to ascertain your circumstances etc.    The NHS did very well on this method for years and years, but now you need an expensive degree to even get your foot in the door to be a nurse.   This excludes many good caring people who perhaps cannot afford Uni fees, but who would make excellent nurses.   You don't need a degree to be smart or competent.  

They need to lower the academic requirements for nursing, so that our own home grown can be trained.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:20 pm

HerattioTarr stated >>> On the subject of nursing, years ago, all that was needed was to pass an entrance exam to become a nurse. You didn't even need any other qualifications. Then you were interviewed by a board or panel to ascertain your circumstances etc. The NHS did very well on this method for years and years, but now you need an expensive degree to even get your foot in the door to be a nurse. This excludes many good caring people who perhaps cannot afford Uni fees, but who would make excellent nurses. You don't need a degree to be smart or competent.

They need to lower the academic requirements for nursing, so that our own home grown can be trained.
Long - Long ago {pre 20th century} the standards for nursing were very similar to yours; but once the position of 'NURSING' began to be a more defined way of being the Physicians Assistant the level of qualifying for CNA {certified nursing aide}, LPN {licensed practical nurse} to the higher position of RN {registered nursing practitioner} became the way of training/specific degree teaching/testing and now they have to qualify/past a exam/keep up todate with training CEU's yearly.
Nursing's come a long-long way from just being nothing more than 'Butt Scrubbers/bed pan empting worker-B's} --- the onset of dispensing narcotic medicines orally and injectable changed up the necessary requirements.
Even a CMA {certified medicine aide} has to take specialized testing and be subjected to random UA's {urine analysis testing} to prove that they aren't a prior drug abuser...

In order to provide my dying husband with his last wishes to remain in our home and not be subjected to lots of strangers; I had to take special training/pass an exam to prove that I was able & capable to care for him during those last 2 years. Then that all came into play once again when {5yrs later} my mother asked me to do the same process for her - to allow her to die in my home and not in a hospital or in some Long Term Care Facility {nursing home}...Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:23 pm

aspca4ever wrote:
HerattioTarr stated >>>  On the subject of nursing, years ago, all that was needed was to pass an entrance exam to become a nurse.  You didn't even need any other qualifications.  Then you were interviewed by a board or panel to ascertain your circumstances etc.  The NHS did very well on this method for years and years, but now you need an expensive degree to even get your foot in the door to be a nurse.  This excludes many good caring people who perhaps cannot afford Uni fees, but who would make excellent nurses. You don't need a degree to be smart or competent.  

Long - Long ago {pre 20th century} the standards for nursing were very similar to yours; but once the position of 'NURSING' began to be a more defined way of being the Physicians Assistant the level of qualifying for CNA {certified nursing aide}, LPN {licensed practical nurse} to the higher position of RN {registered nursing practitioner} became the way of training/specific degree teaching/testing and now they have to qualify/past a exam/keep up todate with training CEU's yearly.
Nursing's come a long-long way from just being nothing more than 'Butt Scrubbers/bed pan empting worker-B's} --- the onset of dispensing narcotic medicines orally and injectable changed up the necessary requirements.  
Even a CMA {certified medicine aide} has to take specialized testing and be subjected to random UA's {urine analysis testing} to prove that they aren't a prior drug abuser...

In order to provide my dying husband with his last wishes to remain in our home and not be subjected to lots of strangers; I had to take special training/pass an exam to prove that I was able & capable to care for him during those last 2 years.  Then that all came into play once again when {5yrs later} my mother asked me to do the same process for her - to allow her to die in my home and not in a hospital or in some Long Term Care Facility {nursing home}...Sad      

here, as I recall we had SEN's and SRN's.   Both had to train for 2 and 3 years respectively.  So even though you got through the entrance exam, and interview, you then still had to prove yourself in the training.   I don't think nursing in this country is any better than it was say, 40 years ago.     But perhaps nursing is now more complex and for certain there's more red tape, just as there is with policing.   There's an argument for better education now, for nursing, but I believe that education levels were higher 40 years ago, than now, hence the need for potential students to go the Uni.   There's a whole generation who can't even construct a letter, never mind a report or thesis.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:46 pm

That's rather a 'SPOT ON' issue here in the states too, Horatio; my generation joke around about the lack of teaching CURSIVE WRITING in our Public School Curriculums...but that will be beneficial for all of us 'baby-boomers' when we need to write in CODED WORDS in our nursing homes!!! The staff will be totally blind sided by our deceptions and sabotage behavior! Three quarters of doctors struck off are foreign!  Old-person-helped-to-walk-smiley-emoticon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down