NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace

2 posters

Go down

Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace Empty Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace

Post by Guest Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:35 am

A cashier's compassionate customer service shows what true empathy looks like. 
Sarah Bigler, who lives in Indianapolis, was shopping with her kids at a Target last week, according to a Facebook post. When Bigler joined the checkout line, she ended up behind an elderly woman who not only wanted to pay in change, but also requested to pay for each item separately. 

Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace 11139988_10153449124029492_2189935986853005648_n

Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace 10509727_10152327247334492_8783250065050167810_n

Sarah Owen Bigler

• Indianapolis, Indiana

· January 13 at 1:21pm · 

Yesterday Matt was sick. I picked up Archie from the sitter and Eloise from school and decided to run to Target for a few things. I had hoped to be in and out quickly.
I found a line with just one person ahead of me and began organizing my items on the conveyor. After placing my items, I look up to see that the person ahead of me was an elderly woman. She was paying for her items with change and wanted to purchase each separately. Part of me, the part that had a long day at work, the part of me who had a 1 1/2 year old having a melt down in the cart, the part that had set an unnecessary timeline for Target and getting home, was frustrated with this woman and the inconvenience she had placed on me.
BUT then I watched the young employee with this woman. I watched him help her count her change, ever so tenderly taking it from her shaking hands. I listened to him repeatedly saying "yes, mam" to her. When she asked if she had enough to buy a reusable bag, he told her she did and went two lines over to get one for her and then repackaged her items. Never once did this employee huff, gruff or roll his eyes. He was nothing but patient and kind. 
As I was watching him, I saw that Eloise was too. She was standing next to the woman, watching the employee count the change. I realized I hadn't been inconvenienced at all. That my daughter was instead witnessing kindness and patience and being taught this valuable lesson by a complete stranger; furthermore, I realized that I too needed a refresher on this lesson. When the woman was finished, the employee began ringing up my items and thanked me for my patience. I then thanked him for teaching us patience and kindness by his treatment of that elderly woman. And although my timeline for target was askew, when he was finished I pushed my cart through the store trying to find the manager. I wanted her to know of the employee's, kindness and patience, and how much it meant to me. After tracking her down and sharing the story with her, we left Target with a cart full of consumable items, but what is more a heart full of gratitude for such an invaluable lesson.

If you are ever in the Glendale Target, give Ishmael a smile and a nod. The world could use more people like him.

While the mom said she'd initially felt frustrated, the employee, whose name is Ishmael Gilbert, remained calm and accommodating, helping the woman with whatever assistance she needed. [/size]"Never once did this employee huff, gruff or roll his eyes," Bigler wrote. "He was nothing but patient and kind."[size=14]The mom, whose daughter had watched the employee's understanding conduct, snapped a picture of Gilbert's interaction with the elderly woman and shared it on Facebook. She mentioned that that day, both she and her daughter were reminded of how important patience is. 

"We left Target with a cart full of consumable items, but what is more -- a heart full of gratitude for such an invaluable lesson," Bigler wrote. "If you are ever in the Glendale Target, give Ishmael a smile and a nod. The world could use more people like him."

Gilbert had started working at the store a few days prior to Bigler's visit, The Indianapolis Star reported. While the elderly woman was checking out, she became visibly flustered.  

"She was all worked up because the line was getting longer and she was moving so slow," the employee told The Indianapolis Star of the elderly shopper. "She was shaking."

Gilbert reacted by treating her with respect and care. He helped her count out her change, answered the woman politely, and even went to another checkout lane to find the shopper a reusable bag, all while other shoppers were leaving his line for faster lanes.

While watching Gilbert for a while, the mom wrote that she was no longer frustrated. In fact, she realized it was a privilege to catch such courteous behavior.

"I realized I hadn't been inconvenienced at all -- that my daughter was instead witnessing kindness and patience and being taught this valuable lesson by a complete stranger; " Bigler wrote in the Facebook post. "Furthermore, I realized that I, too, needed a refresher on this lesson."

The mom thanked Gilbert, who has a daughter of his own, for his incredible attitude and also told the employee's manager of his kind actions. While Gilbert has been widely praised on social media for his work, he says that his behavior isn't out of the ordinary.

"It just feels good to be recognized for good work," he told the Indianapolis Star."But this isn't something new. I treat all customers the same, the way I want to be treated."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cashier-treating-shopper-who-paid-in-coins-with-respect-is-what-patience-looks-like_us_569d058ce4b0778f46fa095f?utm_hp_ref=good-news

Back to top Go down

Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace Empty Re: Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace

Post by eddie Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:57 pm

What a lovely story
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace Empty Re: Cashier's Interaction With Elderly Shopper Is Definiton Of Patience, Grace

Post by Guest Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:01 pm

That is what I thought Eddie, and glad to see how it made her stop and think, but what a rookie mistake to go behind a sweet old dear at the till, thinking you would get through quickly..

lol!

I love how her little girl is just looking up and watching, where like she says learning

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:35 pm

Gilbert had started working at the store a few days prior to Bigler's visit

He'd only been there a few days so he was hardly going to tell the old lady to get a move on was he? Give him a few more weeks and he'll be rolling his eyes - secretly of course. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:35 pm

lol behave Rags he had very good manners, which is very nice to see

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:27 pm

I have a lot of patience with people most if the time.
I do have days, however, where I could easily poke someone in the eye with my finger for being so annoying lol
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:31 pm

eddie wrote:I have a lot of patience with people most if the time.
I do have days, however, where I could easily poke someone in the eye with my finger for being so annoying lol

I know, you have loads of patience with me on my off days

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:34 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:I have a lot of patience with people most if the time.

I know, you have loads of patience with me on my off days

lol!

Im saying nothing lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:24 pm

I can't believe this made the news tbh. The guy was just doing his job. Did she ask the guy if he wanted to be all over the internet? I guess she must have or she wouldn't know his full name.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:29 pm

It made the good news section ,which is dedicated to good news stories

I am sure anyone would be happy to be all over the internet in a good light, the store also benefits

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:32 pm

I'd hate it! It's probably just me, but I find this constant attention seeking really bizarre.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:36 pm

It is just you rags, I would rather read stories of good over all the crap in the world any day of the week

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:37 pm

It was a shop assistant doing his job, like loads of them do every day. This woman gushed on as if she was amazed that he could be so patient. It says more about her than it does about him.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:38 pm

And it made her feel good which she wanted to share with the world which then gives others feel good factor

Now that is something that has benefits Rags

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down