NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angels exist but have no wings says Church

+2
Ben Reilly
Eilzel
6 posters

Go down

Angels exist but have no wings says Church Empty Angels exist but have no wings says Church

Post by Guest Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Well, I think it's weird news anyway LOL!

Angels Exist But Have No Wings, Says Church
A senior clergyman says angels are 'back in fashion' but rubbishes their popular portrayal as bare-chested cherubs with wings.
5:51pm UK, Friday 20 December 2013

Angels really do exist but do not have wings and are more like shards of light, according to a church official.

Catholic Church "angelologist" Father Renzo Lavatori says the celestial beings are back in vogue thanks to various New Age religions.

But he insists that the traditional portrayal of angels as hovering, winged cherubs rather misses the mark.

"I think there is a re-discovery of angels in Christianity," Father Lavatori said at a conference on angels at a lavishly-frescoed Renaissance palace in Rome.
Palazzo della Cancelleria The angels conference is being hosted by Rome's Palazzo della Cancelleria

"You do not see angels so much as feel their presence - they are a bit like sunlight that refracts on you through a crystal vase," he added.

The senior clergyman was taking part in a debate this week on angelic art by the Fondazione Archivio Storico, an Italian art foundation.

It was held at the Vatican-owned Palazzo della Cancelleria.

Art historian Professor Valerio Massimo Manfredi said the first mention of the word "angelos" came from the Mycenaean civilisation in Greece more than 3,000 years ago.

The word means "messenger" in ancient Greek.

Monsignor Giovanni Tonucci, head of the Loreto Marian sanctuary, said that angels were "pure souls".

Their lack of a defined form had allowed artists through the ages to let their creative imagination run wild.

"Following the cultural history of angels is following the history of humanity, or at least of our civilisation," the conference organisers said.

"Angels have helped drive religious and philosophical thought and have given birth to sublime forms of poetic and artistic expression," they said.

Father Lavatori said the popularised image of angels is a necessary result of their being "back in fashion" but is dismissive of all the angel art around Christmas.

"There is space for that, but you have to understand that these are not real representations. Angels do not have wings or look like cherubs," he said.

The widely-published Catholic clergyman is also a "demonologist" and says angels are more needed than ever.

This is because increasing secularisation and materialism in society have left an "open door" for the devil, he said.

"There is a lot more interference from diabolical forces. That is why you see queues of people outside the exorcists' offices in churches," he said.

"Pope Francis talks more about the devil than about angels and I think rightly so. But it's still early, he will get round to the angels too."

http://news.sky.com/story/1185507/angels-exist-but-have-no-wings-says-church

Back to top Go down

Angels exist but have no wings says Church Empty Re: Angels exist but have no wings says Church

Post by Eilzel Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:35 pm

This just makes me want to laugh out loud  lol! 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Angels exist but have no wings says Church Empty Re: Angels exist but have no wings says Church

Post by Guest Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Me too, that's why I put it in weird news lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 pm

OK, that's just ruining a perfectly cool aspect of their mythology  :.3chuthluL/: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:00 pm

I know, what is the point of an angel without wings, what are all the kids in Nativity Plays going to do, a shard of light is quite a difficult costume to make lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Besides, poor Metatron has already been forced to admit he lacks genitalia!

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwww! Mind sex then!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:18 pm

I have always imagine Angels as more like in Evangelion
Angels exist but have no wings says Church DiemayAngelPossibleImage
Brave TechnoWarrior Fighting the Fiendish Angels.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:21 pm

In which case, can they stay away from me please lol

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSchool Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:26 am

Isaiah 6:2 Seraphim are one of the highest orders of angels and they have 6 wings: 2 to fly, 2 to cover their face and 2 to cover their "feet" (some scholars suggest feet is a polite way to refer to their genitalia)
Other references to angels having wings, Revelations 4:8, and Ezekiel 1:23 In Ezekiel the angels (Cherubim) have 4 wings and 4 faces-- though some would argue that the beings mentioned in Ezekiel weren't angels, but were actually visiting aliens. http://facultyblog.eternitybiblecollege.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cherubim_11.jpg

Not like it really matters at all though.
DrSchool
DrSchool
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by jaded fox Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:02 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I have always imagine Angels as more like in Evangelion
Angels exist but have no wings says Church DiemayAngelPossibleImage
Brave TechnoWarrior Fighting the Fiendish Angels.

I always found this one to be far more bizzare. That and the giant spider thing that dripped acid.

Angels exist but have no wings says Church 5-1_3elldandy
Angels exist but have no wings says Church 1_3elldandy
jaded fox
jaded fox
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:19 pm

Rubbish, I can assure you I have a perfect set Angels exist but have no wings says Church Angel10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down