NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former US No1 James Blake 'slammed to ground' by police in mistaken detention

Go down

Former US No1 James Blake 'slammed to ground' by police in mistaken detention  Empty Former US No1 James Blake 'slammed to ground' by police in mistaken detention

Post by Guest Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:36 pm

• Former player handcuffed in Manhattan on way to attend US Open
  • ‘It was definitely scary and definitely crazy’

Former US No1 James Blake 'slammed to ground' by police in mistaken detention  3000
James Blake pictured during his playing career. He reached the US Open quarter final on two occasions. Photograph: Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

The former US No1 tennis player James Blake was wrestled to the ground and handcuffed in New York as he was preparing to attend the US Open on Wednesday.
Blake, who is African American, was detained by five white plainclothes police officers as he stood outside a Manhattan hotel. They had mistaken him for a suspect in an identity theft case.
Blake said he had been talking to a tennis writer when he noticed someone moving towards him. “Maybe I’m naïve, but I just assumed it was someone I went to high school with or something who was running at me to give me a big hug, so I smiled at the guy,” Blake told the New York Daily News. 

Blake was instead thrown to the ground by the plainclothes officer, who told him to roll on to his front. The former world No4 suffered a cut and bruising in the incident. After Blake had been handcuffed for 15 minutes, one of the officer’s four colleagues realized they had got the wrong person and he was released. The officer who had thrown Blake to the ground did not apologize.

The former US Open finalist said he was unsure if his arrest was down to racial profiling but believed the use of force was not needed. “I don’t know if it’s as simple as [racial profiling]. To me it’s as simple as unnecessary police force, no matter what my race is. In my mind there’s probably a race factor involved, but no matter what there’s no reason for anybody to do that to anybody.
“You’d think they could say, ‘Hey, we want to talk to you. We are looking into something. I was just standing there. I wasn’t running. It’s not even close [to appropriate]. It’s blatantly unnecessary. You would think at some point they would get the memo that this isn’t OK, but it seems that there’s no stopping it.”
Blake, who has a British mother and American father, retired from tennis after the 2013 US Open. He won 10 titles in his career and finished fourth in the men’s singles at the 2008 Olympics.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/09/former-us-no1-james-blake-slammed-to-ground-by-police-in-mistaken-detention

FGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down