NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability

2 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability - Page 3 Empty 'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Disabled and sexy. The two words are rarely seen together, according to Rachelle Chapman, who decided to change that with a racy photo shoot. Five years after being paralyzed from the chest down following an accident at her bachelorette party, the 29-year-old North Carolina wife and new mom known worldwide as the "paralyzed bride" now wants to be known as something else: a sexy, young woman.
[/size]
'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability - Page 3 Paralyzed-bride-boudoir2-today-150806_eac19bd949868e51647720231fc83140.today-inline-large

In a series of professional boudoir photographs she released on her Facebook page to encourage people to see beyond her wheelchair, Chapman poses in nothing but lacy lingerie. She hopes the photos will help people see the romantic potential of people with disabilities. "With these images, I'm saying, this is who I am, this is what I look like, this is what I feel like. I'm still sexy, I'm still a woman, I can still be intimate, but I'm still the exact same person when I get in my chair every morning," she told ODAY.com. "It was a good, positive image to show who I am and what I look like and give a different face to disability." It took a long time before Chapman felt confident enough to both take the photos and share them with the public.

'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability - Page 3 Paralyzed-bride-boudoir-today-150806_b54e2bee68cfeb498c59686e9b6aa204.today-inline-large

On May 23, 2010, Chapman fell into a swimming pool after being playfully pushed by one of her bridesmaids. She fractured the C6 vertebra in her neck. "After an injury like this, you wonder how can you be sexy and intimate again, and I think after five years, I've figured it out," she said. "I'm happy as I can be, and I want to show other women, not only in my exact situation but also anyone who thinks there's something 'wrong' with them, that's not who they are. I don't like the disability that I have, at all, but my disability is not who I am."

http://www.today.com/news/paralyzed-bride-uses-sexy-photos-challenge-attitudes-about-disability-t37146

Have a good day people.

Back to top Go down

'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability - Page 3 Empty Re: 'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:07 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

How many more times do I have to say that she claims she's doing this on behalf of others? If she puts it in the public domain, I can comment and say what I think. If it makes her feel good, that's up to her, but she's not just saying that.

If you didn't want comments, why did you start this thread?

Yes but you are not disabled are you or suffer what many disabled people suffer with stigmas, so you are not in any position to judge here not even understanding their situation. You can comment on what you like just like I can comment and show why your views are based not on how you feel but what disabled people feel.

I'm female though, so I'm entitled to comment about her claims about women feeling "sexy".

Like I said, if she was trying to show that people in wheelchairs aren't helpless, that would be a different matter. I wonder what she suggests men in wheelchairs should do - strip off and flex their muscles maybe?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability - Page 3 Empty Re: 'Paralyzed Bride' uses sexy photos to challenge attitudes about disability

Post by Guest Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:14 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Yes but you are not disabled are you or suffer what many disabled people suffer with stigmas, so you are not in any position to judge here not even understanding their situation. You can comment on what you like just like I can comment and show why your views are based not on how you feel but what disabled people feel.

I'm female though, so I'm entitled to comment about her claims about women feeling "sexy".

Like I said, if she was trying to show that people in wheelchairs aren't helpless, that would be a different matter. I wonder what she suggests men in wheelchairs should do - strip off and flex their muscles maybe?

Just as i am entittled to say your views are negative and do nothing to stop the stigma's
What is important is that disabled people feel in this instance of which again you are not.
What is wrong with men flexing their muscles if they feel good about themselves.
Many people work out to feel good about themselves.
Nothing wrong with that or being proud of your own body where the sad reality is there is many people who are not and ashamed of their bodies.
Hence why she is a shinning torch for others and does not allow her disability to get in the way of feeling and looking sexy

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:15 am

Didge, if it had been a disabled man who posed on a bed wearing skimpy little pants with his hand down them in order to prove that disabled men were sexy, would you be so impressed?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:16 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Didge, if it had been a disabled man who posed on a bed wearing skimpy little pants with his hand down them in order to prove that disabled men were sexy, would you be so impressed?

Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:19 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Didge, if it had been a disabled man who posed on a bed wearing skimpy little pants with his hand down them in order to prove that disabled men were sexy, would you be so impressed?

Yes.

Well I would say the same as I've already said, so at least neither of us are being sexist. I would say that he was being silly.

I see no difference between what this woman is doing and any woman getting attention by posing in her underwear - unless she was actually modelling the underwear.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:20 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Yes.

Well I would say the same as I've already said, so at least neither of us are being sexist. I would say that he was being silly.

I see no difference between what this woman is doing and any woman getting attention by posing in her underwear - unless she was actually modelling the underwear.

I would not say he is being silly if he feels sexy, as its about how the individual feels again Rags

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3