NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The rare occasion you will see a selfless good deed.

Go down

The rare occasion you will see a selfless good deed. Empty The rare occasion you will see a selfless good deed.

Post by Guest Thu May 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Seeing a homeless man inside a Waffle House in Prattville, Alabama, encouraged one little boy to respond -- with kindness. Soon after the man entered the restaurant, Josiah Duncan, 5, began asking his mom questions about what it means to be homeless. But his mother, Ava Faulk, told WSFA that there was one issue in particular that really seemed to upset the boy: the lack of food.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/18/waffle-house-homeless_n_7310482.html?cps=gravity_2082_3313005514663755126

Is interesting because I was saying to Ben the other day there really is no selfless deed, but I did forget to factor in one thing, children. We stated that with religion it is the thought of doing good to please a God consciously or unconsciously, or a fear from not helping that they could be punished. Where we as adults non-religious do something from a wish to helping someone, we also unconsciously do so to feel good ourselves for helping someone. I do not think this would even factor unconsciously in the mind of a child whether religious or not. You could argue he did this to gain favour of his mum, but again in this instance and some others with young children, I do not think so when so young.

What do others think?

Back to top Go down

The rare occasion you will see a selfless good deed. Empty Re: The rare occasion you will see a selfless good deed.

Post by eddie Thu May 21, 2015 8:01 pm

I think you're right. I've thought about selfless good deeds (ever see the Friends episode with Joey and phoebe?)

I think children just act. They don't always think, but rather act in impulse so yes, it's entirely possible that children can perform a selfless good deed, indeed!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The rare occasion you will see a selfless good deed. Empty Re: The rare occasion you will see a selfless good deed.

Post by Guest Thu May 21, 2015 8:06 pm

eddie wrote:I think you're right. I've thought about selfless good deeds (ever see the Friends episode with Joey and phoebe?)

I think  children just act. They don't always think, but rather act in impulse so yes, it's entirely possible that children can perform a selfless good deed, indeed!

It has got me thinking Eddie that is or sure. I have to say and I am mulling over any possible flaws, but I think in some situations as you say children just act on doing something good. I am very open to any reasons anyone has on this if they think otherwise, as it is very interesting. It came to me watching the video thinking, I think he really did just act on wanting to help this guy, with no thought to himself. Happy to admit here I was mistaken to think there is no selfless deed, as I now think some are.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 pm

It's horrible to think about doing something nice for someone being a "selfish" deed though, isn't it?
I'm often prone to giving stuff away to friends if they comment on liking something....and yes, dammit! it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 pm

eddie wrote:It's horrible to think about doing something nice for someone being a "selfish" deed though, isn't it?
I'm often prone to giving stuff away to friends if they comment on liking something....and yes, dammit! it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!!

To be honest Eddie, most  people including ourselves do so because we want to help and do so unconsciously thinking of making ourselves feel good about it, even if it ends up that we do feel good. I wonder if you are like me, in that I do not like people to get me presents or surprises, as I feel a tad embarrassed and even shy about it for some weird reason (if you think that is possible when I am very confident lol). Even though I should not be when someone is being so kind to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 21, 2015 8:26 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
eddie wrote:It's horrible to think about doing something nice for someone being a "selfish" deed though, isn't it?

To be honest Eddie, most  people including ourselves do so because we want to help and do so unconsciously thinking of making ourselves feel good about it, even if it ends up that we do feel good. I wonder if you are like me, in that I do not like people to get me presents or surprises, as I feel a tad embarrassed and even shy about it for some weird reason (if you think that is possible when I am very confident lol). Even though I should not be when someone is being so kind to me.

Yes I get a bit like that too! I am terrible at accepting gifts from anyone but my mum and my other half (I love seeing them excited to give me something lol!)
My friends often say to other people, about me, "Don't say you like it or she'll give it to you!"
I do love buying people gifts though. I complete spoil my children - it's probably wrong, and I know I do it, but I can't help myself!

You're shy??? Hahahahahaha
You big softie! X
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 pm

eddie wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

Yes I get a bit like that too! I am terrible at accepting gifts from anyone but my mum and my other half (I love seeing them excited to give me something lol!)
My friends often say to other people, about me, "Don't say you like it or she'll give it to you!"
I do love buying people gifts though. I complete spoil my children - it's probably wrong, and I know I do it, but I can't help myself!

You're shy??? Hahahahahaha
You big softie! X

lol!

Only when I receive presents am I shy and embarrassed lol
I think it is like you say and am the same, I love surprising people with gifts and presents, even more so when they least expect it, seeing their faces light up. Where in some cases you can turn the bluest day someone is having, into the brightest.
xx

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Yes it's a wonderful thing didge :-)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down