NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN

+3
nicko
eddie
Irn Bru
7 posters

Go down

2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN Empty 2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:47 pm

2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN B_w_r5JXEAE1Tsw

They didn't put it in The Scottish Sun, they know they would have been lynched.

Back to top Go down

2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN Empty Re: 2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN

Post by Irn Bru Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:21 pm

Sick gits. Typical Sun stuff - the newspaper that is widely reviled in Liverpool for it's disgusting headlines about Hillsborough.
I wouldn't out my chips in it let alone buy it.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN Empty Re: 2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:25 pm

See http://www.newsfixboard.com/t8341-new-appeals-in-daniel-morgan-murder-private-investigator-looking-into-police-corruption

Murdoch might not be in a very good mood today!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:55 am

The Sun is, and always has been, a terrible, awful piece of crap. Even as a young twenty something and working in the city when Id buy a paper everyday, I'd never touch the sun. Even if someone left it on the seat on the underground, Id not pick it up.
I remember the awful murder of Rachel Nickel (sp?) in front of her beloved son....one of the Sun's headlines was something like "Bubbly Blond slaughtered......something something"
I thought "Really??? The fact she's a blonde is fucking irrelevant and 'bubbly'??"
They may as well have found a topless pic of her and splashed it all over the page!!!!
It was simply tasteless.

I don't say this lightly, but I think this "newspaper" actually makes a mockery out of journalism.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 am

I read the sun, [along with 2 million or more ] Shock, horror, I also read the Daily Mail. Along with 2 million or more. What do you snobs read? Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:58 am

So in you eyes Nicko, to not read a paper because of it's racism, sexism and just terrible journalism is 'snobbish'? I'd say it was using your brain.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:31 pm

So every one who reads the sun or Mail [both Tory papers] are thick. I suppose you read the MIRROR and the people, both Labour mouth pieces, Sun and Mail are Tory supporters. The Sun outsells the Mirror by a mile, the Mail sells over two million copies a day. That's a lot of "thick" people!

To be honest, I don't buy the papers because they are Tory biased, I buy them just because I like em.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:36 pm

I don't read either The Mirror or The People, unless a particular piece is posted on Twitter from The Mirror and I look it up. I read The Independent, The Telegraph when I go out to pick it up, and The Guardian on line. After The Sun's reporting on Hillsborough I wouldn't tear it up for toilet paper. Oh, I forgot The Week, which picks up each week's best stories.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:24 pm

The Sun has some great humerous headlines, makes millions of people laugh, they do me anyhow. I am a bit of an Philistine!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:42 pm

nicko wrote:The Sun has some great humerous headlines, makes millions of people laugh, they do me anyhow.  I am a bit of an Philistine!

Makes people laugh??? Those tacky stupid play on words??

Example:
Story: Kate Middleton pictured in a bikini in Corfu

The Sun says: kate has some COR-FUN!

Rolling Eyes

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:10 pm

eddie wrote:The Sun is, and always has been, a terrible, awful piece of crap. Even as a young twenty something and working in the city when Id buy a paper everyday, I'd never touch the sun. Even if someone left it on the seat on the underground, Id not pick it up.
I remember the awful murder of Rachel Nickel (sp?) in front of her beloved son....one of the Sun's headlines was something like "Bubbly Blond slaughtered......something something"
I thought "Really??? The fact she's a blonde is fucking irrelevant and 'bubbly'??"
They may as well have found a topless pic of her and splashed it all over the page!!!!
It was simply tasteless.

I don't say this lightly, but I think this "newspaper" actually makes a mockery out of journalism.

totally agree. when I first moved over could not believe how tacky it and the NOTW were. and naked women in a daily so called family newspaper that allegedly stands for family values? I used to put it on almost the same level as the national enquirer. For a couple of newspapers that said they cared about family values they sure seemed obsessed with sex and who and how people were doing it.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:18 pm

Spot on Cass!

Or as the Sun would say:

"Cor blimey! Sexy bombshell Cass is a cracker at saying words from her luscious lips! Check out her beauties on page three oo-er!"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:48 pm

Why would anybody trust or financially support a newspaper that has been proven to lie?

2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN Boatrider

One black guy on the boat is enough. This is from last year. Prince William, as part of his duty in the Royal Navy, was in the Caribbean practicing hurricane rescue drills. One British newspaper ("The Sun") ran a photo of the staged rescue... and decided to edit out one of the black locals from the boat.

And they might have gotten away with it (although the Photoshop job is horrible, leaving the shadow and the knee in there)... but their rival, "The Metro", ran the picture unedited.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:08 pm

eddie wrote:Spot on Cass!

Or as the Sun would say:

"Cor blimey! Sexy bombshell Cass is a cracker at saying words from her luscious lips! Check out her beauties on page three oo-er!"

lol.....thank you for making me spit out my lunch (crab salad btw) - the cats have also fled terrorized!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:10 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Why would anybody trust or financially support a newspaper that has been proven to lie?

2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN Boatrider

One black guy on the boat is enough. This is from last year. Prince William, as part of his duty in the Royal Navy, was in the Caribbean practicing hurricane rescue drills. One British newspaper ("The Sun") ran a photo of the staged rescue... and decided to edit out one of the black locals from the boat.

And they might have gotten away with it (although the Photoshop job is horrible, leaving the shadow and the knee in there)... but their rival, "The Metro", ran the picture unedited.

cor blimey guvnor cause its tradition mate innit ......
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm

The Sun printed that the Liverpool fans stole from the dead and dying at Hillborough.
They said the fans urinated on the dead and the police trying to rescue victims.
They lied
I cannot imagine why anyone would read or buy it after that

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Nems wrote:The Sun printed that the Liverpool fans stole from the dead and dying at Hillborough.
They said the fans urinated on the dead and the police trying to rescue victims.
They lied

I think it's because there are two different audiences for news -- one that wants well-trained journalists gathering and assembling facts into reports that are as objective as possible, one that wants to hear things that reinforces its beliefs.

The second group doesn't even see this as all that dishonest, because they think that even if some of the facts are off, the reporting better reflects a larger "truth" that they feel certain about.

It's kind of like the anti-war rallies the U.S. had back during the Vietnam war. Right-wing groups were later shown to have "infiltrated" protests and started fights, in the hope that the media would pick up this narrative of the peace movement actually being violent.

To the people doing it, it didn't bother them that they were starting the fights, because they thought of their actions as simply "bringing out the true nature" of the protesters.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:13 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:The Sun printed that the Liverpool fans stole from the dead and dying at Hillborough.
They lied

I think it's because there are two different audiences for news -- one that wants well-trained journalists gathering and assembling facts into reports that are as objective as possible, one that wants to hear things that reinforces its beliefs.

The second group doesn't even see this as all that dishonest, because they think that even if some of the facts are off, the reporting better reflects a larger "truth" that they feel certain about.

It's kind of like the anti-war rallies the U.S. had back during the Vietnam war. Right-wing groups were later shown to have "infiltrated" protests and started fights, in the hope that the media would pick up this narrative of the peace movement actually being violent.

To the people doing it, it didn't bother them that they were starting the fights, because they thought of their actions as simply "bringing out the true nature" of the protesters.

Spot on
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:56 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
They lied

as if such a fiction exists....

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:21 am

darknessss wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
They lied

I find the people who are incapable of envisioning objectivity are the ones who are incapable of objectivity Smile

People like that used to call me up about a story I'd written on their local election and ask me what my agenda was. I'd tell them, "I live 20 miles from your city, I don't care what happens in your local politics."

I didn't always cover sports. When I covered political issues at the local level, my editor knew my political stances and watched my copy very carefully for bias. I was not about to lose my job and professional reputation in order to tell a few biased stories, anyway.

Also, people are quite capable of valuing both their political ideas and the need for objective, balanced reporting at the same time. Most stories that cover any political topic are created by teams of reporters and editors anyway, all of whom check one another.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:28 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
darknessss wrote:

I find the people who are incapable of envisioning objectivity are the ones who are incapable of objectivity Smile

People like that used to call me up about a story I'd written on their local election and ask me what my agenda was. I'd tell them, "I live 20 miles from your city, I don't care what happens in your local politics."

I didn't always cover sports. When I covered political issues at the local level, my editor knew my political stances and watched my copy very carefully for bias. I was not about to lose my job and professional reputation in order to tell a few biased stories, anyway.

you mean that he made sure your bias lay where the papers backes wanted it to be ....

Also, people are quite capable of valuing both their political ideas and the need for objective, balanced reporting at the same time. Most stories that cover any political topic are created by teams of reporters and editors anyway, all of whom check one another.

to ensure they comply with their biggest advertisers interests...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:36 am

Any respectable editorial department is housed in different offices from its advertising department and rarely, if ever, speaks to the people who sell ads. I'm proud to say I don't know the name of a single person who sells advertising for my newspaper.

My paper's backers told us they wanted high-quality news coverage of our beats -- that's it. Anybody who would work for a paper that pushes an agenda knows they're never going to work for anything but that kind of rag. They'll never advance to a "real" newspaper.

I'm not saying that biased reporting doesn't exist -- I'm saying that unbiased reporting also exists.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 am

its as rare as flying elephants

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:45 am

darknessss wrote:its as rare as flying elephants

A lot of readers say reports are biased when they don't conform to the readers' bias Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:49 am

pfft....

All newspapers have an agenda left right or centrist

whatever

all will "cover up"/not mention/dumb down what doesnt suit their "bias" and "big up" what does...

thats why I think newspaper should be taxed they are all works of fiction that rarely contain anything but the smallest grain of truth

rags the lot of em..... Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:50 am

and the rest of the media is no "cleaner"

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:58 am

Does the UK not tax newspapers?!

The only agenda that has ever been communicated to me, anywhere I've worked, is to write balanced, accurate stories. I've never met anyone who has ever been told to write a story from a biased perspective.

The most common bias in any newspaper is to write stories it thinks people want to read and to ignore stories it thinks won't sell as many copies. You obviously know very little about how a newspaper is run.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:10 am

@ben
almost half the news papers in the UK and Australia are owned by news corp a.k.a FOX
they're as biased in print as they are on their TV network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_Act_1712
Tax repelled in 1766 and it was repelled specifically because of the Biased of newspapers
2015 AND STILL WE HAVE SEXISM - THE SUN 3893789544

The tax was implemented with the stated intention of raising funds for the English state lottery, to monitor the circulation of newspapers and other periodicals, and to restrict publication of writing intended to "excite hatred and contempt of the Government and holy religion."[10] All periodicals were already required by law to state the address and name of the owner, making taxation easily enforced on publishers, and allowing the government to see where legally printed publications were coming from. In order to exempt themselves from the tax, periodical authors pledged their patronage to members of the Parliament of Great Britain, leading to publications rising and falling based on the party in power and a general distrust in periodicals of the time.[9]

British essayists were critical of the tax and the effect it had on British literature. According to English writer Samuel Johnson, "A news-writer is a man without virtue who writes lies at home for his own profit. To these compositions is required neither genius nor knowledge, neither industry nor sprightliness, but contempt of shame and indifference to truth are absolutely necessary."[13][14] These essayists often saw retribution for their published words; Henry Hetherington, a prominent radical, was imprisoned for claiming the tax was a tax on knowledge, and his printing presses were ordered to be destroyed. Many others greeted the arrival of the stamps with outrage and violence. Most called for a boycott and some organized attacks on the customhouses and homes of tax collectors. After months of protest, and an appeal before the British House of Commons, Parliament voted to repeal the Stamp Act in March 1766

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:14 am

I doubt most reporters are any more biased than a normal person but Editorial writers are a different kettle of fish and in the news corp papers the Editorials and the news reports are presented the same with maybe a a very small font disclaimer on the bottom
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:36 am

veya_victaous wrote:I doubt most reporters are any more biased than a normal person but Editorial writers are a different kettle of fish and in the news corp papers the Editorials and the news reports are presented the same with maybe a a very small font disclaimer on the bottom  

I think journalism has changed my personality, actually. I have trouble telling even white lies now, and people tell me I'm blunt and don't care about hurting other people's feelings Smile

Of course, not everyone has my standards, but if I'd been the supervising editor of whoever turned in that Photoshopped photo, I'd have summarily fired their ass ... then run a story on page 1 the next day correcting the record and reporting that the photographer (or whoever did it) had been fired.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:38 am

well the Sun newspaper is owned by Murdoch
think of them like a printed version of FOX news
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:39 am

veya_victaous wrote:well the Sun newspaper is owned by Murdoch
think of them like a printed version of FOX news

Yeah, they do a grave disservice to the profession and the public. They've twisted the notion of journalism in so many people's minds now -- the opinion piece thing you mentioned, for example. Opinion should be clearly marked -- it's standard practice to use at least three visual cues to distinguish straight reports from opinion pieces. You of course have the label itself, but then you will often use a different type of credit (usually with a picture of the writer) and run the column with a different right-margin justification than your reports (we always do full justification on reports and ragged-right on columns).

Beyond that, opinion writers shouldn't be allowed to lie -- newspapers simply can't allow themselves to print lies anywhere unless they're quotes.

By the way, TV news, at least over here, is mostly crap. I remember hearing an editor at my paper give a rundown of standard practices for TV news crews, and a lot of what they do is ripped off from other outlets without even giving credit to who got the story first. They've even ripped off quotes they weren't there to get ... he summed it up by saying "It's just not an honorable profession." I laughed but he wasn't joking.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:56 am

that's odd I would think it is the reverse here. Neutral

The Papers seem to follow the TV.. Mind you half the paper is advertisements, promotions and TV guides. Very little Actual news in them any more.
Sad
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 am

veya_victaous wrote:that's odd I would think it is the reverse here. Neutral

The Papers seem to follow the TV.. Mind you half the paper is advertisements, promotions and TV guides. Very little Actual news in them any more.
Sad

Well, you're probably too young to properly remember newspapers in their heyday. I remember being a kid and reading the science page of the paper I now work for. I can't think of any paper that now has a science page Crying or Very sad
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:31 pm

yes BEN...but....

YOU are biased

your a dyed in the wool commie

so you work for a lefty paper????

see......

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
They lied

Interesting. LW and RW, respectively.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
darknessss wrote:

It is true that there is no such thing as pure objectivity.  The language casts a bias in everything you say.  See, Lakoff and Johnson, Metaphors We Live By.  The game played by Fox News, for example, is easy to spot: fact-less claims—open divorce from reality.  But what is much more subtle to spot, and argue, is the framing of a statement.  If I say, 'You owe this to your brother' I am using a money metaphor...cold, crisp, no discussion.  But if I say, 'We are our brother's keeper', I am using a family metaphor. It puts a much different pall on the statement.  It is a warmer, less legalistic statement.

It changes the entire tone of a discussion.  Framing is everything, ben, as your editor knows.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down