NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans Ignore US Gov't Shutdown

2 posters

Go down

Veterans Ignore US Gov't Shutdown  Empty Veterans Ignore US Gov't Shutdown

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:37 am

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/world-war-ii-veterans-storm-memorial-defy-us-government-shutdown/story-fndir2ev-1226731225283

WW2 vets
"US World War II veterans have defied barricades at Washington DC memorial closed due to the US government shutdown.
The Mississippi Sun Herald reports that congressmen present were told by the National Parks Department to remove the barricades at their own risk, which they did so the veterans could lay wreaths.

"I’m not going to enforce the ‘no stopping or standing’ sign for a group of 90 World War II veterans," said a US Park Police officer, who declined to give his name. "I’m a veteran myself."

Nearly 200 World War II veterans and their guardians left Gulfport for Washington DC despite the government shutdown. They had chartered an $US80,000 ($86,000) plane, and their plans were too far advanced to postpone when the government shut down.
"
And Korean Vets too

"At the Korean War Memorial, a group of veterans from Puerto Rico also moved barricades aside in order to lay a wreath. The veterans represented members of the 65th Army regiment, which fought in Korea.

Anthony Mele, president of the regiment’s honour task force, said a Park Police officer admonished the group that the site was closed and then "literally turned his face and walked away" as the men moved the barriers in order to enter.

"We went on the other side of the barriers like good soldiers should, and we laid our wreath there," Mr Mele said with a smile. "We were told that all permits were rescinded. I thought they said all permits were cancelled except ours."
"
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Veterans Ignore US Gov't Shutdown  Empty Re: Veterans Ignore US Gov't Shutdown

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:39 am

Mr Mele
I salute you sir you're a bloody legend

when faced with the kind of idoicy that has caused the shutdown...
Mr Mele said with a smile. "We were told that all permits were rescinded. I thought they said all permits were cancelled except ours."
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:39 am

I think I'll just let Mr. Darwin's first sentence from the quote in my signature serve as my comment on this one ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down